(Topic ID: 266985)

Decagon - burned score reel trace fixes?

By frenchmarky

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

93905666_600355247246821_3185500088650694656_n (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I've had the two replay threshold scores set to 83K & 99K for around, oh, 25 years. Yeah, I know, I don't like change. I've always played this game a LOT. Just noticed this week, hey, sometimes I'm missing an earned replay. Checked the reel contact boards, the 10,000 is fine but the 1,000 board has very tiny burn pits on the 3000 and 9000 positions (naturally!) I could switch the board with one from player 4 or just use two different '1000' score levels but I'd rather fix it than move the problem or avoid it. I could probably get away with tweaking the moving contacts by bending them to move the contact points a tad left or right since the contact pads are huge but meh I dunno about that.
Any tips like maybe some new products out there that have been successful with repairing this like conductive epoxies or thin trace material I can apply/solder that won't cause binding/friction issues? Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

For older Williams drop target board traces I have used self-adhesive copper foil, secured with solder in one corner so that the moving contact does not touch the solder blob. Maybe this would work for the score reels also?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

For older Williams drop target board traces I have used self-adhesive copper foil, secured with solder in one corner so that the moving contact does not touch the solder blob. Maybe this would work for the score reels also?

Sounds doable, I'll look around for something very thin. I could fill in the pits first with something so that it's smooth. Thanks!

#4 4 years ago

I have filled CAREFULLY w/solder and sanded smooth with success.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

I have filled CAREFULLY w/solder and sanded smooth with success.

I did wonder if that could work, I will give that a shot on one hole first since these are very small pits. If doesn't work out then will give the copper tape a try. Thanks!

#6 4 years ago

Worked! For safety I surrounded the spots with tape before filing them flat.

93905666_600355247246821_3185500088650694656_n (resized).jpg93905666_600355247246821_3185500088650694656_n (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago

Great. Thanks for updating. Just make sure the fingers move smoothly over repairs. You can put a just a tiny bit of Super Lube(if you have any) in path of fingers and run it around to apply.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/decagon-burned-score-reel-trace-fixes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.