PC280393.JPG
PC280391.JPG
PC280390.JPG
PC280389.JPG
image-472.jpg
image-363.jpg
image.jpg
PC260384.JPG

There are 312 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 10 years ago

official website >>>
https://sites.google.com/site/wilastchance2013/

"WI last chance 2013" is the last opportunity for competitive pinball players to earn points towards the IFPA WI state championships for 2013.

See current rankings >>>
http://www.ifpapinball.com/ranking_view.php?id=51

I thought it would be fun to have one last shot to shake things up and see where they fall for 2013.
Per IFPA regulations an event must be open to the public, advertised on the IFPA calendar at least 30 days prior to the event, have a website, and be on a weekend in order to be eligible for full annual event status (base value of 25 points). If this year goes well then this will become an reoccurring event held on the last weekend of every year.

WI last chance will be held on Saturday December 28th, 2013 with qualifying from approximately 8am to 2pm and playoffs held at approximately 2:30pm.

This event is open to the public but will be held at a private residence.
Due to the constraints associated with limited space of being held at a private residence this tournament will have a single-attempt qualifying round. Man vs. Machine. 1 play per game!

Format:
Preregistered players will be assigned a designated time (between 8am and 2pm) and will play through a set number of games (likely 5 or 6 games; announced at a later date) in succession.
Players will play a single qualifying attempt on each available game.
Players will also play a single attempt on a mini-tournament game (no playoff for mini-event game; only for more points).

Players are asked to play through all games and then promptly exit so other competitors can make their way through each game.
We can suggest a few other local pinball establishments to go hang out if you think you may make playoffs later in the day; it is in Madison so lots of fun stuff to do/see while you wait.

Player's scores on each game will be ranked from top to bottom and ranking points assigned using the IFPA scoring on Scott's Pinball tournament manager. Combined ranking points used to seed all players.

Top 8 seeded qualifiers (results posted to this website to notify those who qualify for playoffs) will be invited back for playoffs >> expected to start at ~2:30pm.
Playoff format is 4-player games, double elimination, inverse seeding, games randomly assigned by officials, player order selected by highest seed on each 4-player game.
Anyone not making playoffs will be assigned a finishing place based on final qualifying rank.
Playoff finishing position will determine final placement for those in playoffs.

Rules:
Players MUST preregister and prepay admission for the event! Registration will close approximately 2 days prior to the event if space is not filled before hand. Space is limited to 40 people at this time (approximately 3 people playing every 20 mins).

Players will be emailed an address, directions to the private residence, and a designated play time following the close of registration (i.e. on or before Dec 27th) Event is located in Madison, WI but exact address only provided to preregistered players.

Players registering will not know their assigned play time until the final directions email is sent out. You may be selected to play as early as 8am, as late as 2pm, or any where in between for qualifying. By preregistering you accept this fate and fees are non-refundable. Players may request an earlier or later start time, but there are no promises. Officials will do their best to accommodate requested times.

Players must show up to check-in 5 minutes before start time. If you are not checked in by your assigned start time then you may be disqualified (sorry but we need to keep things running smoothly and if you show up late then others would have to wait later).

Players returning for playoffs must watch the website and return to play by 2:30pm (adjusted time will be updated to website as things may change on the day of the event). Players not returning for playoffs on time may be disqualified. Officials will make every effort to contact players that make playoffs, but it is still the responsibility of the player to keep an eye on things and to return on time. If possible, scores will be updated to the website throughout the day.

Prizes/certificates/trophies awarded to the top 4 players after playoffs.
50% payout to players for main event. 50% payout to host to cover food/beverages/trophies/cleaning up.

Must preregister by emailing Hilton at [email protected] and sending a GIFT paypal payment of $20.
When you register, please provide:
1. GIFT payment
2. Your Full NAME
3. Your phone number and preferred email address
4. Your preferred time to play (i.e. earlier or later in the day)

You will receive a return email confirming you are registered.
You will receive directions and an assigned play time a few days prior to the event.

#2 10 years ago

bump for point seekers.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Players registering will not know their assigned play time until the final directions email is sent out. You may be selected to play as early as 8am, as late as 2pm, or any where in between for qualifying. By preregistering you accept this fate and fees are non-refundable.

Players must show up to check-in 5 minutes before start time. If you are not checked in by your assigned start time then you may be disqualified

Yeesh. Maybe I'm just not a morning person, but this sounds pretty brutal. I don't think anyone who has to drive an hour or two would risk having to wake up at dawn for qualifying.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Yeesh. Maybe I'm just not a morning person, but this sounds pretty brutal. I don't think anyone who has to drive an hour or two would risk having to wake up at dawn for qualifying.

I am just old. 8am is late to me. Sleeping in is 7am and normally up before 6, even on weekends. Death is for sleeping

I do understand that many will want to play later in the day and signing up now and requesting a later start time should get you a slot that works no matter how far you are driving from.

The earlier start time and playoffs over by 4pm is to accomodate the MKE league players that need to make it back to MKE area that night.

I will fill slot requests in the order people sign up, so get on board sooner rather than later if you are interested in a specific time.

I am also guessing many will want later slots because it will mean less waiting around in town between qualifying and playoffs if you end up making the playoffs.

#5 10 years ago

Payment sent.

#6 10 years ago

Glad you are coming down Tom!

I will reply to all registration emails after work as I not not have gmail access at work.

#7 10 years ago

keepin it up

#8 10 years ago

WooHOOOO! Im ranked 77th, in all your faces!

edit- Ha! Tom Graf is from Austria?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

come place top 3 in this event and you will likely shoot up far enough to make WI state...

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Nope just Appleton WI. I guess Austria would be my origin though.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Nope just Appleton WI. I guess Austria would be my origin though.

That explains all those explicit Arnold Schwarzenegger pics you have hanging in your game room.

#12 10 years ago

3 slots now reserved.

Keep em coming!

#13 10 years ago

bumpage

#14 10 years ago

Payment sent.

#15 10 years ago

I'll be there.

#16 10 years ago

6 slots now taken.

Lets keep it rollin!

#17 10 years ago

side note, if anyone wants to help out with score keeping, your registration fee is waived.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

side note, if anyone wants to help out with score keeping, your registration fee is waived.

I can help out with scoring and just come early.

Tom.

#19 10 years ago

Awesome! Thanks TOM!

#20 10 years ago

No problem.

#21 10 years ago

now get some of those other guys up in your neck to come on down

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

now get some of those other guys up in your neck to come on down

I have an easier time pulling teeth.

#23 10 years ago

yeah, they are afraid of Madison

#24 10 years ago

Post turkey #2 bump.

I should have stocked up on more Burbon... Nothing open within walking distance ;(

#25 10 years ago

I'm in, payment sent. Should be a good time.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

I'm in, payment sent. Should be a good time.

Glad you are coming !

Now we just need to get jediturtle to come on down and we will have the trifecta.

Maybe that will then snowball into Jaz actually coming over???

#27 10 years ago

Up to 10 registered people now.

Lets get this up to 20 this week so I can order some fun trophies

#28 10 years ago

Bump. Up to 12 people already in just a few days!

Cool thing about this event is that anyone with even ZERO IFPA points could walk in, win it, and earn a spot in the WI state championships.

With a base value of 25 points and a likely final value of around 27 points??? for first place in the main event, it is possibly a one stop shop for your way into the majors

Toss in the side mini event which will be worth 50% of the main event and this 'last chance' really has the opportunity to shake things up in WI.

#29 10 years ago

How many people qualify for the state championships?

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

How many people qualify for the state championships?

Top 16.

#31 10 years ago

Yes, top 16.

However, people can ONLY compete in a single state. A good chunk of the guys currently in WI top 16 are not likely to play in WI state championships as many are also qualified in their home state. At the same time, it seems the general consensus (from the IL and MN and MO guys I have spoken to) is that it is 'weak sauce' to cross the borders to play in a lesser state.

Now, I do not agree that WI is a lesser state, but I do fully agree that it is weak sauce to come in form a different state for the championships (esp those that are already qualified in their home state).

My best bet is the current 'real' make it list is somewhere around 28th-34th place. I other words, 12 WI IFPA points form 2013 will likely qualify you for the state championships which are going to be held at Tom Taylors. That alone is my interest in trying to make it in this year. That said, I probably should not have started this event since I stand a good chance of being knocked down a few slots from my current standing I just really thought it would be a fun end of year thing to shake the standings up and see what happens.

#32 10 years ago

bumps

Come on folks, let's get a few more people signed up!

Gotta make it to at least 20!

#33 10 years ago

If I wasn't so broke I'd come for some points, but way to close to holidays for me just bought my gf a nice ring so I got a cut back on my pinball. Sounds like a fun event would have to be leaving by 6 up by 5 ehhh I was cranky enough for Mad Rollins. Hope it all goes well though! Maybe next year.

#34 10 years ago

no worries. Congrats if you are poppin the question buddy (not sure if that is what the ring is for).

For this event, there are (were) slots open as late as 2pm for quaifying so you could even sleep in before driving for this one That said, it is quite a haul for anyone driving a few hours and I do not blame them fro not wanting to do it for this format.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

no worries. Congrats if you are poppin the question buddy (not sure if that is what the ring is for).
For this event, there are (were) slots open as late as 2pm for quaifying so you could even sleep in before driving for this one That said, it is quite a haul for anyone driving a few hours and I do not blame them fro not wanting to do it for this format.

Not popping the question yet but I am committed so a pre committed commitment. I probably would ask her, but I'd rather ask her dad first and were still young I'll wait till she finishes college. The rings good enough for the question though.

I'll probably end up doing Mad Rollins again just for fun take it easy on competition I get to stressed. I wana go to the wanabowl thing though if they'll be any spots.

#36 10 years ago

If any of the top IL guys come into WI if they qualified for IL I'm calling them out weak sauce. They need to play against the top.

#37 10 years ago

Yeah, I think they are all straight up enough guys that none of them will come to WI for championships.

While they are entitled to do it, I think they almost all have acknowledged that the current rules are slightly silly and they are afraid of the repercussions if they do

#38 10 years ago

sign right up, have a ball, only 3 weeks from today.

12 people currently registered (pending a few payments to lock in slots).

#39 10 years ago

Last Change BUMP!

#40 10 years ago

Sweet trophies should arrive this week.

If we do nto get a few more guys signed up then by the looks of it, this will be yet another event that ends up costing me $, doh!

Oh well, it will be more fun to have some sweet trophies and some good times.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

12 people currently registered (pending a few payments to lock in slots).

Yea, yea I hear ya. Check is in the mail.

#42 10 years ago

Just wanted to say I really wish I could do this. You picked the date of the extended family Christmas party.

#43 10 years ago

If it is local, then you will want a break from them for a bit anyway...

You could shoot over, play your time slot and then shoot back home for a few hours waiting to see if you make finals...

#44 10 years ago

Why dont you tell us what the grail game is so we can practice beforehand?

Im surprised you even list the games in your collection now

#45 10 years ago

Alright...

I am working out the timing of picking up the grail soon so I guess I can spill the beans.
I picked it up fro slightly less than asking.

Pretty pumped!

milwaukee.craigslist.org link

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Alright...
I am working out the timing of picking up the grail soon so I guess I can spill the beans.
I picked it up fro slightly less than asking.
Pretty pumped!
milwaukee.craigslist.org link

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

come place top 3 in this event and you will likely shoot up far enough to make WI state...

I'm curious to see how far down the list you have to go in WI to get a top 16, with so many players from outside the state and those who are simply unavailable on the 8th or don't want to participate for whatever reason. I know of at least a couple MN people that are going to play in Wisconsin due to their extreme dislike of our IFPA rep. Should be interesting.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I know of at least a couple MN people that are going to play in Wisconsin due to their extreme dislike of our IFPA rep. Should be interesting.

They are going to lose a lot of respect if they are also qualified in MN. It appears that all of the MN folks currently in top 50 in WI are in top 20 in MN and will likely make the MN championships.

It will be interesting to see, but I would be very suprised if anyone in the 16 MN qualifiers actually crosses the border. That would be really weak sauce, esp if they need to make up some lame excuse about not liking their state championship tournament director.

I think many/most WI players understand that the competition is much stronger in bordering states, but it sure does not do much to promote competitive pinball within a state if the ringers are planning to defect from MN just to come have a better shot at winning WI state.

#49 10 years ago

They will. Two of them for sure, if a few others end up qualifying in WI I could see them carpooling with those two as well. 10 hours of driving, they don't care. They won't need to make anything up to tell our state championship director, they hate his guts and he knows that. It's very well known to all the competitive pinball players locally. For them it isn't about trying to get an easier field, they simply can not stand our IFPA rep. Our IFPA rep rubbed a lot of the regular crowd the wrong way and many pinball people in MN won't attend any events that he has anything to do with. It also makes it much more difficult for others to run events in MN and get the different pinball "factions" to show up and play nice at a single location for an event. It's a long, sad story that I have heard multiple sides of. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in there. I only know what I have seen and experienced myself, I don't know all the details and I frankly don't really want to. Personally, I just want to play pinball so I try not to let things like that affect me, but there are plenty others who hold grudges. Don't worry about me. I'll be playing in MN...even though I recently found out that the championships are on the same day as another major pinball party locally.

#50 10 years ago

it is not the story they are telling the MN director it is the story they are going to have to tell WI people.

The message that sends to any WI folks is not very pleasant and I hope they expect the same sort of message in return.

"Hey guys, I qualified for MN state championships, but competition is much tougher over there so instead of driving an hour to play in MN state championship I am going to drive 10 to play against you"

That alone would be enough for me to make some major changes to how I run events in future years.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Niagara Falls, ON
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 159.00
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
Cabinet parts
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Hardware
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 312 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dec-28th-wi-last-chance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.