Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PEN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

whiner.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

From my end as a Canadian I think Stern, JJP have completely discarded us as serious buyers. The prices in Canada are about 15-20% higher plus we pay a shit load of taxes on everything. So a $7000 ($8000 for WOZ) machine plus taxes is actually close to $8000 ($9000 for WOZ) (that's right $1000 ($1200 for WOZ) give or take in taxes). I "give" 35% of my salary for government taxes. In other words let's take as an example that I make $80000 a year (i wish I did) minus 35% in government taxes... I'm left with about $52000, to cover that mortage and house expenses, car payments. Stern/JJP are therefore asking me to spend closes to 1/5 of my annual income on a toy!

I know it's not Stern's/JJP problem but unless they put a cap on prices it's going to be. Hell I make a decent living but Pinball is starting to be really too rich for my blood and falling into the relm of Mercedes Benz M Class.

Good luck to get operators to spend that kind of bucks...they'll never make a profit. And the vast majority of people will fold.

I think I'll just wait for the massive crash that is going to happen. It's already bursting at the seams. Pretty much every pinball (2010-now) are not moving as fast as they were 6 months ago. The economy is still fragile and we've got people here spending ridiculous amounts of money.

I've seen Trons, TRON LE's, Transformers, MMs, TOTANs etc.. sitting on this site for 2 weeks maybe 3 with no buyers.

I wish I could buy but I just can't and I'm sure I'm not the only feeling this way.

#2 11 years ago

At least you are getting good health care.

All of us in the USA are paying (or our bosses are paying) $900+ a month for "health insurance" .

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

I think I'll just wait for the massive crash that is going to happen. It's already bursting at the seams. Pretty much every pinball (2010-now) are not moving as fast as they were 6 months ago

Have you not seen the threads on metallica? LE's getting re-routed to european customers, a 2nd run of premiums? Gary is laughing all the way to the bank.

I myself won't be able to afford a NIB for quite a while, but there are plenty of people who make a comfortable enough living (or have enough pin collection equity) to do so. Also I think we'll see a lot of these smaller niche companies selling for a much more reasonable price point that will hit a completely different market.

#4 11 years ago

Not sure what the complaint is. If there is a crash you'll be sitting pretty with some good deals.

#5 11 years ago

I'm fairly sure Stern has no control over the taxes you pay. I think you need to take that up with your elected officials.

#6 11 years ago

I think I'll just wait for the massive crash that is going to happen.

I understand what you are saying....but I don't know if the Canadian market is the make-or-break point for Stern.

#7 11 years ago

i'm generally part of the "prices are too high" crowd, but dear lord, that is a WHINY post....

#8 11 years ago

I know where you're coming from for sure....but hey first world problems...right? I classify pinball as a luxury item and am very fortunate that I have the small amount I do. Heck my house just flooded today (2nd time in 3 months) and I'm still happy I'm not starving ya know?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I'm fairly sure Stern has no control over the taxes you pay. I think you need to take that up with your elected officials.

I get screwed either way.. LOL

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

i'm generally part of the "prices are too high" crowd, but dear lord, that is a WHINY post....

I wouldn't say whinny....I think of it as more "realistic".

#11 11 years ago

Dear Flash,
    Please dont blame others for the issues you have. I to wish that I could buy a Ferrari, but it is just not possible. It is not Sterns fault that you have made the choices that you have. You can live without a car payment, there is nothing to say you have to have a nice car. Please remember, although many of us have these as toys, this is not what they were created for, they were created to be in business making money and providing a return on the investment.

But while we are at it, could you ask hollywood to stop making movies that look great on the big screen. I can only put a 60 inch tv in my house and its just not right that i cant afford a 5000 square foot room with projector to watch a movie the way it was made to be seen

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Dear Flash,
    You can live without a car payment, there is nothing to say you have to have a nice car.

Who said I had a nice car. And secondly you're full of it when you say you can do without a car. Type of thing said by someone who always borrows their friend's car to go to home depot.

Please remember, although many of us have these as toys, this is not what they were created for, they were created to be in business making money and providing a return on the investment.

How many plays will in take for a operator to get there money back on a $7000 machine? + cost of maintenance? Profit margins are not what they used to be.

But while we are at it, could you ask hollywood to stop making movies that look great on the big screen. I can only put a 60 inch tv in my house and its just not right that i cant afford a 5000 square foot room with projector to watch a movie the way it was made to be seen

Who said I had a 60" screen TV and secondly Hollywood is another problem all together LOL.

God all I'm saying is that the squeeze is on and if the manufactuer don't watch it they screw themeselves over.

#13 11 years ago

I will have to say I used to have way more fun in this hobby when it was affordable. I was ok spending 1k to 3k on a game play it for a while and get something else.

My wife would not care if I took out a couple of grand to buy a game. Now its like Honey can I have 7k for a game. Big difference.

I will continue to get new games but it is not as fun as when the prices were cheaper.

#14 11 years ago

I agree. I make a decent living but it's to the point where I am like damn......... I just don't think I am getting 7500-8000 worth of american dollars in a Stern pinball machine regardless of how much money I make. The ceiling is close, or the alternative is pinball will become a collectible hobby for the super wealthy. If I have to take a step back, it will only be from NIB Stern games. Most other areas of the hobby is still affordable.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Legacy:

I agree. I make a decent living but it's to the point where I am like damn......... I just don't think I am getting 7500-8000 worth of american dollars in a Stern pinball machine. The ceiling is close, or the alternative is pinball will become a collectible hobby for the millionaires. If I have to take a step back, it will only be from NIB Stern games. Most other areas of the hobby is still affordable.

I'll agree to that for sure.

#16 11 years ago

I wouldn't say whinny....I think of it as more "realistic".

nope. whiny. real whiny. the whole post is "poor little me"... as noted, i fall firmly into the "wow, this is an expensive hobby" group, but you aren't doing yourself (or that group) any favors by your "pity poor me" post...

as others have noted, i want a ferrari too... but i'm not going to blame maranello (or my federal government) for me not having the cabbage to buy one...

#17 11 years ago

I don't really understand this NIB crazy going on especially for all these newer games. Here you have people throwing thousands of dollars at something they haven't played or even seen yet . What if the game turns out to be a total dud? I'm in the wrong business for sure...

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

All of us in the USA are paying (or our bosses are paying) $900+ a month for "health insurance" .

On average Canadians pay more tax than Amercians so it works itself out.

#19 11 years ago

if I can use the car analogy here. we have two car dealerships selling cars. Mercedes priced cars and Porsche priced cars.

lots of room is available in the lower end. with all these silly nib prices the lower end nib market is empty. I do not consider a dumbed down pro as lower end, more a lobotomized premium for 4500 bucks.

nope we need a fully loaded Ford or Toyota in the 3500-4500 range.

jjp and stern are so busy selling machines for increasingly insane prices, it has left a major vacuum in the mid tier segment.

there is a market for Fords, a huge one. it will happen sooner or later hopefully, if not pinball will be a very limited hobby. we need affordable full value pins for operators, us pinheads and future hobbyists.

nobody wins with a limited hobby.

#20 11 years ago

I have my limits on what I will spend on a machine. period. I do not look at pinball as an investment. It makes me happy and I smile more.

My NIB acdc will most likely be a one time shot for that kind of coin. I will not purchase a metallica at the NIB price point, LE, premium or pro.

lets just hope that the individual states in the U.S. start militantly going after every last penny of every transaction for sales tax.

If So, then my $7500 ACDC premium just becomes a $8000- $8300 premium depending on what city taxes are too on top of the state taxes. Yes, $500-$800 more would be a deal breaker for me. More on the principal of it and what I am willing to spend as opposed to can I afford it.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Lol! I live in Michigan near the Canadian border, they travel to the States non-stop to visit our doctors & dentists.
    He is paying also: it's called a higher rate of taxes. Plus his Government is in control of his & his family's health care! No thanks!

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

On average Canadians pay more tax than Amercians so it works itself out.

depends on which tax bracket you're talking about, but for the most part it's pretty even:
    http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0411/do-canadians-really-pay-more-taxes-than-americans.aspx

Also you pay 1.73% for the national healthcare, which in my salary is about $1k a year. I pay upwards of $2k out of pocket just to have health insurance, and then my company easily kicks in another $5k.

#23 11 years ago

I take it you're talking about harmonized tax. I pay 5% tax in AB Regardless, feel your pain and the the same argument could be made to many new items. My last car and my next, and my next, and my next....... was/will be used from the States for the same reasons.

#24 11 years ago

I dont think the pos is "whiny." I think there is a lot of frustration in the market between escalating prices and the handeling of the Metallica pin. If the US had that many Metallica pins shifted towards Europe I can only imagine what is left over for Canada.

#25 11 years ago

I like the hockey...but to be honest I'm not a huge fan of the beer...anymore.
    And I like Mantracker a ton...he's a bad ass that doesn't care for those "Ontario" people.

#26 11 years ago

buy cheaper pins. Ferrari has me locked out of the market also.

#27 11 years ago

Well this thread is heading south real fast, and it started pretty close to the southern hemisphere to begin with. Maybe a few of you should take the time to read the forum rules again, especially the part where it says no politics, I am pretty sure debating the domestic healthcare and tax policies of Canada and the United States would fall into that category. This is a pinball forum. Keep it nice and keep it related to pinball.

#28 11 years ago

I believe Stern has previously addressed your concerns with a product they refer to as "The Pin".
    Now step aside while the rest of us argue about Metallica LE issues and JJP's WOZ release dates.

FYI: NIB isn't for everyone. There are TONS of great games at a fraction of the price.
    TSPP for $4000 a few weeks ago. Lots of play in a machine like that.
    Stern also offers the Pro models if that's closer to your budget.
    Not sure how anyone can complain about not being able to afford the LE editions of a new release.

#29 11 years ago

There is a lot more to pinball than NIB pins.

#30 11 years ago

I feel for ya Flash...thats why I don't even take vacations over there anymore.

But your gotta admit....your country (especially the Ontario area) has the hottest strippers in the world outside of Vegas!

Theres a silver lining in every cloud....

#31 11 years ago

I paid 945.60 tax for my LE for British Columbia, Canada, and another 290 for freight...

I feel your pain, but it's a luxury item so you don't really NEED it...if you WANT it, you gotta pay

The market is VERY strong right now...

#32 11 years ago

Dear ______________

whiner.jpgwhiner.jpg

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

And those of us without insurance are paying through the nose (or in my case, my leg).

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

I feel for ya Flash...thats why I don't even take vacations over there anymore.
    But your gotta admit....your country (especially the Ontario area) has the hottest strippers in the world outside of Vegas!
    Theres a silver lining in every cloud....

Lol! No Doubt about it!

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And those of us without insurance...

Go bankrupt. Sad but true.

#36 11 years ago

The only value anything has is what someone is willing to pay for it. If machines are being bought and sold for these high dollars, unfortunately thats just the way it is. Nobody can say its actually worth this or that, its worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Deal with it. I have to.

#38 11 years ago

If you have to spend 1/5 of your annual income to purchase a new pin, then I'm pretty sure you aren't the target consumer.
    If you are willing to spend 1/5 of your annual income on a pinball, then you might have money management issues.

I can't afford a new Stern so I don't buy one. I'm not upset about it. I can afford plenty of cool stuff compared to the person on the next level of pay below me. It's all relative.

Now being a proud capitalist, if I decided I had to have a Stern I would develop a plan to either save the money over time or find a way to make new income so I could afford one. I applied this philosophy when I started the gameroom hobby. I now have plenty of games, paid off all of my investment, and even had a decent arcade "rainy day fund".

Insert "deal with it" gif here as you see fit.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Leeps:

If machines are being bought and sold for these high dollars, unfortunately thats just the way it is.

Yep but don't worry...this is going to be the last time people pre-order for this much. Well I mean after ST...but really seriously that's the last goddamn time...wait what Iron Maiden? Ok sure well i gotta have that one but after that that's it no way no more!

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Go bankrupt. Sad but true.

Not yet! I traded an NIB left kidney for the operation so that I could still afford MOP.

#41 11 years ago

My last new Stern (WOF) came from the Playdium out of Canada and was a bargain at $2850 delivered so thank you Canada. Prior to that a Stern FG from Jack . I do not plan on buying any more NIB games. As much as I like pins I feel that they are pricing themselves out of the market and I just do not put a value on any pin be it NIB or an "A" list title game at 8 grand ( or more).

To each their own and if someone want to spend that more power to them. They are all coin-op vending machines at heart and made to make money. The collector and hobby market has made the remaining manufactures take a turn and target games to this seemingly deeper pocket market.

#42 11 years ago

Damn those Dodge people too, that 2014 Viper SRT I want is priced way out of line.

and on top of that they want me to pay a gas guzzler tax!

#43 11 years ago

I think I'll just wait for the massive crash that is going to happen.

You do realize if this massive crash happens, that will be the end of Stern, JJP, or anyone making pins.

They can't do it cheaper.

You think it doesn't pain me, to not get new pins for my customers ? I've always put them first.

I do what a can, and keep up on service.

You can adapt too. Get cheap pins and fix them up and sell them and get better pins. Get pins you like. Don't feel left out on the flavor of the month.

LTG : )

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

They can't do it cheaper

you sure about that?

#45 11 years ago

Blame Canada!

#46 11 years ago

Well, most importantly: they AREN'T doing it cheaper.
    According to the most recent pre-book sales for Metallica, Sterns not going to fail if one more person out there declares the machines too expensive.
    There are plenty of folks able to make the purchases presently.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

ummm, no thanks Im happy with my plan.... hey remember pinball.

#48 11 years ago

Hey its a choice you have to make now that the hobby has gone thru the roof in prices. I'd rather ride my HD 100th anniversary Wide Glide then have a MB sitting in the basement. Actually a MB is more then my Harley now. I'll keep my Harley. I do think that the pins are WAY overpriced now. If Stern was selling NIB for 3800 to 4200 what went up in costs the last two years?

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

you sure about that?

Yes.

This is America, it's not a sin to make a profit. That is what keeps them in business. And Companies aren't getting rich doing this.

Remember prior to Stern having the lay offs ? We had some really great $3600 pins. And Stern was in a financial crisis.

Then along came the investors, Stern got past the dumb them down theory days.

Look at what they are doing now. Look at what JJP is doing.

And manufacturing costs. Lower quantities, higher prices. The days of any company ordering 100,000 flipper plunger assemblies is over. So are cheaper prices per unit.

Figure out what is all in a new pinball machine. Add up the parts costs. Throw in some for labor. Add $500 for profit for the company ( and I doubt they are getting that much ) add in a little more than usual for a good license, or great designers or programmers.

And there you go. $5500 pros, $6500 premiums, $7K plus LE's.

These manufacturers didn't just get up one morning and say lets f**k the buyers for all they can.

They did get up one morning and said, how can we turn this around ? Get some great names involved, exciting titles for games, and put lots into them.

That is what they did. Put hope and excitement back into pinball, the game we love. Unfortunately they couldn't do it for free.

LTG : )

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That is what they did. Put hope and excitement back into pinball, the game we love. Unfortunately they couldn't do it for free.

I agree with most of what you say...but, I don't believe they can't make the same machine, sell it for $5-6K and not make a profit. I think a car is way more complicated than a pinball machine and you can get one of them for $8k.

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dear-stern-jjp-and-the-rest-of-you-all and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.