(Topic ID: 64518)

Dear Planetary Pinball Supply - MM remake ?

By Chippewa-Pin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mm.jpg
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Let's be real. Gary Stern doesn't give a flying flip about innovation and quality.
The man is pushing 70 and is trying to milk every dollar out of the home market that he can before he retires.
He tried to retire years ago but could not sell the business.

This is exactly what I meant, that we keep looking back to B/W titles because there has been nothing better in 15 years. If there were, we might ditch the 1990's models.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Let's be real. Gary Stern doesn't give a flying flip about innovation and quality.
The man is pushing 70 and is trying to milk every dollar out of the home market that he can before he retires.
He tried to retire years ago but could not sell the business.

You do know that an investment group headed by one of the guys that saved Harley Davidson runs Stern nowadays, right?

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from GoChiefs70:

This is exactly what I meant, that we keep looking back to B/W titles because there has been nothing better in 15 years.

TRON LE a better game than MM, but we did not grow up playing TRON, so we don't have that nostalgia to warm our hearts.

There are faster cars than the AC Cobra, but we still want an AC because we remember it being a super car growing up.

There is a giant AC Cobra replica market that started in the 1970s, and even Shelby himself got caught fudging up some titles.

All of the $50,000 replica ACs do not in any way detract from the value of the real, $1,000,000+ 427s.

#54 10 years ago

I don't find it ridiculous to remake some of the so called winners in pinball, just look at Hollywood, how many reboots of Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Star Trek and Star Wars have we seen? The formula is working pretty well for them.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Are you new to the hobby? Gary Stern has been telling the home buyer to play on location for years. That's what he's preached at virtually every seminar he's ever done. Stern didn't embrace the home buyer until the new investors came along. If anything, Gary Stern waited longer than he should've to tap the home market.

If you want to suggest someone is milking the home buyers, you might want to have a chat with the new investors. Gary Stern backed the operators as long as he could.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Are you suggesting I sell my car for a toy?

Yes, as a car (to me) is a toy and is more expendible than a pinball machine.

A car costs more than a pinball machine and will lose 40% of it's value within the first six months.

Are pinball machines an investment? No! But at least I can always make a profit or at least break even, when it's time to sell them.....unlike a car.

I apologize if I came off as being snobbish. Just trying to put things into perspective.

If you're in this hobby, you've already won the lottery.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Are you new to the hobby? Gary Stern has been telling the home buyer to play on location for years. That's what he's preached at virtually every seminar he's ever done. Stern didn't embrace the home buyer until the new investors came along. If anything, Gary Stern waited longer than he should've to tap the home market.
If you want to suggest someone is milking the home buyers, you might want to have a chat with the new investors. Gary Stern backed the operators as long as he could.

Gary was preaching those lines back when most of his customers were *operators* and pinball machines were not $8K a pop!

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You do know that an investment group headed by one of the guys that saved Harley Davidson runs Stern nowadays, right?

Dave Peterson with Sphere Point Enterprises. Yes, I am fully aware.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Gary was preaching those lines back when most of his customers were *operators*...

Most of their customers are *STILL* operators. You're not making much sense.

"Over half our games... are operated on the street."

(51:00)

#60 10 years ago

The best thing for pinball would be to have more operators buying games and keeping them out in the wild and in good condition. Rout operators just don't seem to care about the condition of their games; I'd happily play a dollar a play for pretty much any modern pin if it functioned properly.

The rout industry needs a jolt in the arm. More leagues should develop and go play games on rout somewhere...even if it is at your local movie theater or whatever.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

TRON LE a better game than MM, but we did not grow up playing TRON, so we don't have that nostalgia to warm our hearts.

Haha! I really love Tron (LE or otherwise), and I own both games, but this is ludicrous. Tron is a shell of a game compared to MM.

The truth is, MM is the total package and almost everyone loves it, no nostalgia required. Random casual/new players who are just getting into pinball beg me to put one (back) on location constantly because it's just plain fun. I have never been asked to operate a Tron by anyone but a couple of super hardcore/serious players.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Rout operators just don't seem to care about the condition of their games...

There are many good operators on and off pinside who very much care about the condition of their games. I regularly get compliments on the condition of my location games. All operators are not alike. Generalizing doesn't help anything.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

There are many good operators on and off pinside who very much care about the condition of their games. I regularly get compliments on the condition of my location games. All operators are not alike. Generalizing doesn't help anything.

Good point. Mostly I am just complaining about the lck of operators in my city. If a decent establishment had a couple games on rout in fully functional condition, I would go there twice a week and bring a friend. Alas, my area doesn't have this available.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Most of their customers are *STILL* operators. You're not making much sense.
"Over half our games... are operated on the street."
» YouTube video
(51:00)

I'm not buying it. The business was up for sale back in 2005. It was acquired in 2009.

Gary wants to make us believe that all of the operators that left almost 10 years when machines were $4K, are now *back* buying them at $8K? ...and making a profit???

His marketing model is strictly home sales at this point. Which LE would you like?

Yet, he's never going to admit to that.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Terminator
Simpsons
Playboy
spiderman
Indiana Jones
Rolling Stones
Star Trek
All remakes.

Quoted from swampfire:

They may use the same license, but it's fatuous to say that (for example) TSPP is a "remake" of DE Simpsons, or that IJ4 is a remake of IJ. They're completely different games.

I meant the designs. Almost everything since Tron and the resurgence of Stern titles has been a flat out PF copy or very close to PF of another 90s machine, other than Gomez's designs.

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Yes, as a car (to me) is a toy and is more expendible than a pinball machine.
A car costs more than a pinball machine and will lose 40% of it's value within the first six months.

I don't see my 1990 500 dollar more expensive than a pinball machine and I'd much rather buy a NIB pinball than a new car.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Dave Peterson with Sphere Point Enterprises. Yes, I am fully aware.

Then, what the hell are you going on about?

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Gene says that there are no more MPU boards left to make any more BBBs.
He says that one of the chips was custom and would require a run of 20,000 to have them made again.
I've always wondered if the P-roc could be the solution to that problem?

He should contact Homepin to re-design the boards to run currently available components.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

He should contact Homepin to re-design the boards to run currently available components.

I don't think Gene is looking to start manufacturing pinball machines again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 64.99
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dear-planetary-pinball-supply-mm-remake/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.