Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Boatcat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Slade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So I keep noticing time and time again reply post after reply post that some people on the EM threads lurk and lurk and lurk WONDERING why any of us even bother with playing or purveying mechanicals. I would like to try and answer some of the obvious reasons that may be overlooked by those of us who often take these reasons for granted.

Most young gamers dislike the simple rules because they are used to video games, most modern pinball combines video gaming and physical gaming into a rather immersing experience. But as a great case for EM, some people JUST WANT TO PLAY PINBALL. In my case the cheapest and most effective way to [play the most pinball constantly and relentlessly] was to make a 6 hour drive and grab a couple of wedgeheads. For 1200 bucks total I am the proud owner of 2 nearly perfect pinball playing machines that work 100%.

I am 35 years old, one of my games is a 68' Fun Park and the other is a '77 Team One. So its not an age thing or a nostalgia thing, its a PINBALL THING. I am not a collector, I have no desire for cosmetics or flashy lights, and I have no need to play pins that are 1/2 video game because I already have video games all over my house. I really wanted to play some pinball. I just want to be able to play 100 games a day when I come home from working my ass off and drink a few pints. I think that because the playfields of EM's are often one-level and not filled with 3d ramps and ornaments its more fun to focus on the mechanics of actual pinball techniques.

There is more flipper manipulation in modern pinball, and there is more nudging and multi-angles in EM pinball. And since the "goal" of most modern pin comes down to multiball modes and its refreshing to find games [like the old ones] that actually rely on the game that is already taking place. I find that most goals in modern pins are a simple skill-shot away, and in EM's most shot goals are "you cant get there from here" requiring a few bounces. EM allows for more focus on actual pinball playing than just manipulating a video game with 2 buttons.

6 grand vs 1 grand is a price difference that cant be ignored, the gameplay is simply more pinball than video game unlocks, and your friends and family will think either one EM OR MODERN....is absolutely fascinating at your next holiday BBQ or party. They wont care how old or new it is, because all they see is a pinball machine. All pinball machines look the exact same to non-pinball geeks...sorry to break it to ya, they will think its amazing no matter what.

Kid friendly. The themes are amazing for kids and in an age where tablets reign supreme its nice to unplug and play a pinball machine. The gaming skills they learn from old pins not only translate to new pins, [nudging is a lost art imo] but in all games they will be sharper to react and play with more in-game mindfulness. Normal gaming requires TONS OF TIME, vs pinball, is usually over in a few mins. Its like the one-night-stand of all gaming ^_^ , instead of soul-sucking world of warcraft raids and insanity, either you got your high score, OR YOU DIDNT. There is no "continue" button, when it says game over, its a great lesson in this modern world of zero consequence-loss games.

Cheers lurkers! I know you will join us soon!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Slade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dear-lurkers-why-play-em?tu=Slade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.