(Topic ID: 317890)

Dear JJP, please consider including more standalone modes in rulesets

By PanzerFreak

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are recent JJP's lacking standalone modes?”

• Yes 7 votes
      78%
    • No 2 votes
      22%

(9 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

A number of JJP pins are now filled with modes that stack upon each other, sometimes with little mode choreography, versus dedicated standalone modes. Gameplay becomes so layered with multiple modes being stacked that it makes it difficult to focus and really enjoy any of them. Also, many of these modes have become rather generic, "Super Loops", "Super Spinners", "Super Pops", and the worst among them all IMO the "Shoot Everything" modes (GNR and Toy Story have them). It's just odd and not really fun to have a "Shoot Everything" mode playing along side a "Super Spinners" mode, what's the point? This complaint is something I had with Stern games for a while but IMO they are now creating more objective / story based rulesets with dedicated modes versus the latest JJP's.

Myself and others understand that mode stacking is normal but at least make the primary modes more interesting and objective / story based. Take The Hobbit for example which has 30 book modes that each have their own music, mode choreography, and shot requirements. Those modes can be enjoyed alone or you can choose to stack it with others. Dialed In has a similar type of main mode design in that they are these dedicated experiences. Gun's n Roses and Pirates on the other hand are filled with dozens of main generic based modes that nearly all play the same. Same goes for the multiball's.

The exception, and this is something JJP has done very well, is the standalone JJP mini wizard and super wizard modes. Battle the Wicked Witch, the 3 Arkenstone mini wizards modes in Hobbit, the 3 album mini wizard modes in GNR, Wonka's office, and the mini wizard modes in Pirates are all great examples of dedicated standalone modes. All of those modes bring me back to the feeling of playing the main movie multiballs and wizard modes in Lord of the Rings, a pin considered by many as offering the best story based ruleset. Those are the types of modes that keep me coming back for another game. More of those types of modes and gameplay elements from them would be great to see incorporated into primary rulesets.

Overall the more generic type modes with all of them stacking on top of each other lack moments. Personally I find the 8 episode modes in Stern's TMNT more interesting then any of the main modes in Pirates, Wonka, Toy Story, and GNR. Why? It's not because I'm not having fun in those games it's just the moments and mode choreography of a story based mode are more fun to play IMO.

Does anyone else feel similar?

2 weeks later
    #5 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Agree completely. I really like some JJP games' themes and layouts but the 'stack a bunch of simple things' rules turn me off.
    It's all personal taste of course, but it sucks when a whole manufacturer is basically off bounds since they keep making the same style of game

Yeah, it has become too much in many of their games. The "Shoot everything" type modes are dull, far too generic and then when you toss those with a "Shoot all switches", "Shoot all ramps" type generic mode it just makes everything come across as pointless.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

2 words: Slash Solo
    One of the most useless modes in all of pinball, stand alone, non stackable….and you want more of that? No thanks.
    GNR also has 4 album modes that are coded quite unique and fun with thirst for carnage being the weakest.

Quoted from jackd104:

Can’t speak for all JJPs but Wonka has at least 3 stand alone modes. Wonkas office, Oompa Loompa odyssey, pure imagination. It seems like a good balance to me.

It would be nice to see more of those types of modes up front as main modes. Hobbit and Dialed In does that with it's main modes.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dear-jjp-please-include-more-standalone-modes-in-rulesets?tu=PanzerFreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.