(Topic ID: 136291)

dealing with anal buyers and sellers

By daddyxxx

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Atomicboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 8 years ago

I tell people that they better expect to have to deal with issues, as something WILL go wrong between now and the near future with the game. It’s sold as is, and even if something doesn’t work when you get it home, that’s how these things can be.

When asked, I will take a $100 non-refundable deposit to hold, no more, no less. I confirm (make sure I state it in an email) that you can have two weeks, or whatever we agree to come get the machine and pay in full, otherwise the deposit is mine for holding up the sale, and my time. If they needed a few more days, I will most certainly agree, but by only expending the original conditions. Some people will say they will give me half now, and they are fore sure getting it, but I stick to this $100 method, if it’s a situation where the game can’t be picked up that day.

I think this is fair, and allows everyone to confirm each’s level of commitment to each other. Any issues after, I’ll try to assist by phone or email, or by providing some documentation etc, but I’m not fixing it, not even for payment. I’m at the age where time is more important than money.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

this is Called: LOST opportunity of SALE.

How so?

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

The easiest way to avoid problems is don't sell to people who don't already own comparable pins. If a buyer says it is their first pin or they only own new Stern pins I tell them my pins are not for them (I only have 1990's and older pins).
    If a buyer is incredibly persistent after the above statement I will continue to try and talk them out of buying from me. I will tell them "They can play the pin all they want at my place but the only guarantee I will make is that this pin will break and it may break before they get it home. Pinball machines break all of the time."
    This will normally get rid of the people who will be a problem buyer. Others will be very insistent even after the above warning and are generally good buyers.
    But I am lucky for sales, I don't have or sell pins that "look and work better than factory". I only buy/own/sell player grade pins, so I don't have to deal with buyers who go crazy if they find a scratch on the backside of the head or find a light socket that is flaky. God help you if you are a seller of a "better than factory" pin.

lol that's a horrible idea. How did you get your first pin? As long as you are aware of what you're getting into, and prepared for fixing and learning, this is a great opportunity for someone to really get addicted to something great they will most definitely be into for many years to come.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Atomicboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dealing-with-anal-buyers-and-sellers?tu=Atomicboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.