4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

Whenever I have placed an ad to sell a pin I state in the ad that "if you have never owned a pinball machine be sure to buy from someone local that will provide you after sale support as YOU WILL have problems at some point. Thanks for stopping by and good luck with your search!"

#52 4 years ago

As for the picture discussion, if a guy is far away, I will snap a ton and auto upload to Flickr. Local, come look at. I also tell newbies it's going to break, be prepared. I told a guy the other night he is better buying from a retailer who can offer a warranty.

I don't take deposits from pinsiders. Their word and reputation work for me. If they break the deal for a less than worthy reason, they are dead to me and everyone I personnally know. There are a couple if this in pinside who I won't disclose.

If I am hauling a game for them, then possibly a deposit.

I do love it when the wife comes and inspects the machine.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I take the glass off, go into service menu and cycle solenoids etc. insect the boards and connectors. Seem crazy not to open the hood if you are spending several thousand.....

I try to buy from people that sound trustworthy in their description, price, and pictures of a game. I check a credit dot, play a quick game to check for resets etc., give a quick visual inspection. On average I probably travel 5-6 hours to pick up a game so barring the driver board catching on fire, I just accept what problems I'll have to fix. I've never bought a game that was nearly 100% ready to put in the gameroom out of the car so I'm not going to try to nickel and dime the seller if I find one more dumb thing to fix like a broken switch or hidden cracked plastic.

The worst thing I've had that may have been hidden is a game with an intermittent boot issue, I'm confident there's no way I would've discovered it even with a fairly thorough inspection. If you want to hide some weird issue when selling me a game fine, but I'll quietly be annoyed at you forever, so beware.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

I do love it when the wife comes and inspects the machine.

Especially when they bend waaaaaay over to look in the cabinet?

#55 4 years ago

Lots of great stories and advice in this thread (many worse than just an anal buyer/seller):
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-selling-woes-%e2%80%93-let%e2%80%99s-share-some-stories

4 words: "As Is, Where Is"

#56 4 years ago

Its hard when that one buyer shows up - you know your phone is going to be blowing up in 8 seconds after he gets home… when I started the hobby I actually was on the wrong side of it. The seller told me come on man - you knew what you were doing, you have a second regret you played you paid its yours… Deal with it, I did and have since learned that I was the clown in that situation not him.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from coz6:

Its hard when that one buyer shows up - you know your phone is going to be blowing up in 8 seconds after he gets home… when I started the hobby I actually was on the wrong side of it. The seller told me come on man - you knew what you were doing, you have a second regret you played you paid its yours… Deal with it, I did and have since learned that I was the clown in that situation not him.

I really wanted to understand this post, but didn't. I'm blonde. Can you clarify what you supposedly did wrong?

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I really wanted to understand this post, but didn't. I'm blonde. Can you clarify what you supposedly did wrong?

I *think* s/he's detailing buyer's remorse and how some buyers try to renege on the transaction after money and the pin have already changed hands. I think.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from billin:

I *think* s/he's detailing buyer's remorse and how some buyers try to renege on the transaction after money and the pin have already changed hands. I think.

#60 4 years ago

Long time ago a seller from another state saw a cheap shipping cost for me if I'd go pick up the game at some airport warehouse. The cost of delivery to my house was not much more in cost and well worth not having to take time off work and go cross my large city to get it. I was paying shipping either method so it was no skin of the seller's neck but he got angry with me that I would not do the cheaper way. I mean, name-calling angry. I endured it, got my way, got the game, while the control-freak seller is but a distant memory and the game is still great!

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from billin:

Yes

#62 4 years ago

Dealing with fellow collectors is so much better and easier. My level of trust usually goes up when its a fellow pinsider. A good buyer/seller transaction should include plenty of photos and then an inspection before handing cash over. I said cash not a check. After all these years I expect an issue or 2. I also expect i will have to tweak and maybe even shop the game out to my tastes. However, the pictures and inspection firsthand should eliminate any problems with mechanisms missing, blown out boards or hacks etc.. Then it isnt a big deal to bring it up to where it should be.

My 2 cents.

#63 4 years ago

Sellers never bother me, if they want more than the pin is worth then its my choice, what I hate is when I sell one of my pins which has been taking care of, cleaned, led'd, shopped and I'm asking a fair price usually taking a loss when time, lights, parts are factored in and you still get a dickhead telling you its only worth some foolish price, my response is "well I guess we can't make a deal" on the inside I'm thinking, "go fuck your mother".

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Sellers never bother me, if they want more than the pin is worth then its my choice, what I hate is when I sell one of my pins which has been taking care of, cleaned, led'd, shopped and I'm asking a fair price usually taking a loss when time, lights, parts are factored in and you still get a dickhead telling you its only worth some foolish price, my response is "well I guess we can't make a deal" on the inside I'm thinking, "go fuck your mother".

3-Goodfellas-quotes.gif

TOTALLY family-friendly!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 263.55
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 22.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 1,099.00
    £ 75.00
    $ 20.00
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 245.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside