Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by cal50
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Just bought a Frigidaire 50 pint (model # FAD504DUD) dehumidifier on clearance at Best Buy for $140, I did add a 4 year warranty for an additional $35 but the unit itself usually sells for $200 so at a total of $182 it is a great deal IMO.

I might go get another.

#2 10 years ago

Clue me in what/where/how are you using this.
    Thanks

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Just bought a Frigidaire 50 pint (model # FAD504DUD) dehumidifier on clearance at Best Buy for $140, I did add a 4 year warranty for an additional $35 but the unit itself usually sells for $200 so at a total of $182 it is a great deal IMO.
    I might go get another.

Was that at a specific store. It does not show online...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=703328378773463150&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=frigidaire+dehumidifier&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&fs=saas&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&saas=saas

#4 10 years ago

Got suckered into the extended warranty, eh? It's not too late to get a refund on that. You paid 25% of the purchase price for a warranty that only lasts 4 years, and the original manufacturers warranty is how long? I'm doing you a favor here.

#5 10 years ago

No he didnt. its a Good move on the warranty, they all die after a year or two! You dont understand how bad these things are. I recently bought a 50 pt danby for 229, incl tax at Home Depot. Has 26 month warranty included. You got good deal..me, not so much, but I needed one. Anybody thinking about buying LG, run and run fast.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

and the original manufacturers warranty is how long?

Year or less is standard. Depends how the extnded is worded. They usually clean them up pretty well now-a-days but you used to be able to get brand new stuff with it. probbaly not Best buy though.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

No he didnt. its a Good move on the warranty, they all die after a year or two! You dont understand how bad these things are. I recently bought a 50 pt danby for 229, incl tax at Home Depot. Has 26 month warranty included. You got good deal.

OK, I didn't know they didn't last long. I just remember buying extended warranties for different things (dvd player, car, printer) and they all ended up not being used so a waste of money.

[Edit] Your credit card also doubles the warranty for up to a year for free. It's not quite as convenient to file a claim compared to swapping it at the store but you can't beat the price.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

Got suckered into the extended warranty, eh? It's not too late to get a refund on that. You paid 25% of the purchase price for a warranty that only lasts 4 years, and the original manufacturers warranty is how long? I'm doing you a favor here.

I did a ton of research on this before buying. Here is my thing, they usually crap out after a year or two and the fact that I got it on clearance means that if I have any issues in 4 yrs(it covers everything but cosmetic issues) It will be replaced with a like product which would certainly cost more so I see it as a getting a 2 for 1 deal.

Quoted from Concretehardt:

Clue me in what/where/how are you using this.
    Thanks

I use it in my basement game room. In VA the humidity can get bad in the summer. I try to keep the humidity around 55-60%. We have a guest bedroom down there as well so it helps maintain comfort for houseguest and prevents it from getting too muggy.

#9 10 years ago

It may have been. I didn't see it advertised in the store but when I checked out it was on the receipt, I frankly thought the guy f'd up but the model number and everything was correct.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

OK, I didn't know they didn't last long. I just remember buying extended warranties for different things (dvd player, car, printer) and they all ended up not being used so a waste of money.

Yeah, I'm the same way, but on these it's different. They literally are junk, just pick any brand in the $200 range and read the longer term reviews...all have crappy compressors from china. I had an lg that came with a 5 year warranty and had to replace it under warranty three times. Lg has since changed their warranty to 1 year.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Yeah, I'm the same way, but on these it's different. They literally are junk, just pick any brand in the $200 range and read the longer term reviews...all have crappy compressors from china. I had an lg that came with a 5 year warranty and had to replace it under warranty three times. Lg has since changed their warranty to 1 year.

Another problem I remember with extended warranties (and I don't know about best buy) is that it can be a one-time replacement, whereas a regular warranty would replace a unit until the warranty expires.

One more thing is that the extended warranty runs concurrently with your free standard warranty. So if it breaks in 8 months, your 1-time use extended warranty is gone. The only thing it got you was you were able to replace it at the store instead of having it repaired. Anyway, you got a great deal, congrats.

#12 10 years ago

HUH? Junk? I have a GE 40 pint that was manufactured in 1998 and it's still working fine.

#13 10 years ago

O yea forgot about the humidity factor on East coast

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

O yea forgot about the humidity factor on East coast

I had to install a small sump style condenser pump from a heating system next to my dehumidifier and run a small hose out of the unit into the sump so it would constantly empty itself. I got tired of having to dump the dehumidifier 2x, 3x times a day.

It's rained here all but about 5 days in the last 3 or 4 weeks. Feels like Seattle but without the Starbucks on every corner.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

HUH? Junk? I have a GE 40 pint that was manufactured in 1998 and it's still working fine.

Yeah, times have changed. Wonder where it was made?

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheRave:

It's Dunkin Donuts instead.

I know right? 2 in my small town and another going in. FWIW, I got tired of $3.50 coffee's and started to hit up McDonalds for their $1 any size anytime deal.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I've read the newer models are far less reliable due to laws concerning freon. The compressor seems to be the failure point.

Sorry if this deal isn't in other's areas, I was just trying to pass along info on a cheap yet seemingly decent dehumidifier.

#19 10 years ago

My Frigidaire of two years just died and the warranty replacement one cost me $53 for the state recovery / recycle fee. The new dehumidifiers are made soooo cheap its not even funny. Paper thin evaporator coils that leak Freon or the compressor dies. I have owned Sears, Samsung, Frigidaire and GE and none of them seems to last. The upside to Frigidaire is the refrigeration system is warranted for 4 or 5 years. If you are buying new go for the best price & warranty.

Good luck with the extended warranty. If you have a service center nearby that's a plus but you will still be without a unit until fixed. I went through two (2) Samung's and when the 2nd one died thay gave me a full refund because they no longer made the same model or parts for it. Samsung parts come off a slow boat from Korea so you will be waiting if you need parts. Its because of the repair wait I purchased a 2nd unit ( different brand ) and have alternated back & forth to keep one working.
    I like to keep the humidity at 50% and the basement temps around 70.

I might break down and buy a commercial unit like a Dri-eaz or similar.

#20 10 years ago

I still have my GE Oasis dehumidifier that my parents gave me. It's from I think 1980. It runs still to this day, except this past month where it's been a Snoopy sno-cone maker. I might need to clean out the fins finally.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Snoopy sno-cone maker

+1 for the Snoopy sno-cone reference.

#22 10 years ago

I use Squaretrade.com for my extended warranties. going to sign up, send me an email and i'll show you how to get them for even cheaper, plus I get referral credit. [email protected]

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

My Frigidaire of two years just died and the warranty replacement one cost me $53 for the state recovery / recycle fee. The new dehumidifiers are made soooo cheap its not even funny. Paper thin evaporator coils that leak Freon or the compressor dies. I have owned Sears, Samsung, Frigidaire and GE and none of them seems to last. The upside to Frigidaire is the refrigeration system is warranted for 4 or 5 years. If you are buying new go for the best price & warranty.
    Good luck with the extended warranty. If you have a service center nearby that's a plus but you will still be without a unit until fixed. I went through two (2) Samung's and when the 2nd one died thay gave me a full refund because they no longer made the same model or parts for it. Samsung parts come off a slow boat from Korea so you will be waiting if you need parts. Its because of the repair wait I purchased a 2nd unit ( different brand ) and have alternated back & forth to keep one working.
    I like to keep the humidity at 50% and the basement temps around 70.
    I might break down and buy a commercial unit like a Dri-eaz or similar.

I might pick up another one of these if I can get it for the same price. We are being given another as well. I'll turn my house into a raisin.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I might pick up another one of these if I can get it for the same price. We are being given another as well. I'll turn my house into a raisin.

Smart move having a spare.

#25 10 years ago

Speak of the devil. My 33+ year old GE dehumid didn't survive the operation. I tried to get the dust out, but no go. It wasn't designed to handle anything under 75, and the fan is clanging.

Bought a new 45-pinter at Menards for $150 that has a $50 mail-in rebate. Not GE, but it will have to do.

#26 10 years ago

It is also important to know where you'll be using these. Some dehumidifiers re not efficient under say 60 degrees or so. If it is going in a basement, you may want to looks for a "low temperature" operation dehumidifier.

We got one, I think it's a GE (I have nto looked at it in a long time) that was specifically for basements, after our first one quit after a year or so. Have had this one 9 years and it does a great job. Hooked a hose running to the sump pit so I don't have to remember to empy the darn thing.

Chris

#27 10 years ago

The one I bought goes all the way down to 41 degrees. Looks like all of them go down to that temp. It's not that warm downstairs(just humid) in MN, so it wouldn't work whatsoever. It's all good. 30+ years service life is more than I would expect for any appliance, especially made today.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

No he didnt. its a Good move on the warranty, they all die after a year or two! You dont understand how bad these things are. I recently bought a 50 pt danby for 229, incl tax at Home Depot. Has 26 month warranty included. You got good deal..me, not so much, but I needed one. Anybody thinking about buying LG, run and run fast.

The dehumidifier in my basement is 30 years old. Still works perfectly.

#29 10 years ago

I have a small Sears model that has to be 15+ years old. Still runs strong. So maybe go hunt for an older one in a garage sale?

#30 10 years ago

Most people probably want one with 15 programmed modes, timers, and that is whisper quiet. And then they wonder why it fails after only a couple of years. Some things are mechanical and should be physically simple. My dehumidifier has one control - a knob - and one switch to detect a full tank. When it's full it shuts off and a little orange light goes on to tell me to empty the thing. That's it. If I had a floor drain I could run a hose from the tank and never think about the thing again.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Most people probably want one with 15 programmed modes, timers, and that is whisper quiet. And then they wonder why it fails after only a couple of years. Some things are mechanical and should be physically simple. My dehumidifier has one control - a knob - and one switch to detect a full tank. When it's full it shuts off and a little orange light goes on to tell me to empty the thing. That's it. If I had a floor drain I could run a hose from the tank and never think about the thing again.

It's different now, the coils and compressors are much lower quality. I bet yours was made here in the US. It's not the electronics that fail. I'd be very happy with on/off only since I set mine at 50 and run it into my sump pump.

#32 10 years ago

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TB29O6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

This is what I have....wondering if I need a second, thing seems to run all the time. Have it set to 45% and the status goes from 45 to 50 and it usually just stays on all the time. Havent had it long though. We will see if it even catches up. Had it maybe a month or 2?

Old one crapped out less then 3 years...was top rated by consumer reports too. Price to fix was half what a new one cost...so went with new.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

It's different now, the coils and compressors are much lower quality. I bet yours was made here in the US. It's not the electronics that fail. I'd be very happy with on/off only since I set mine at 50 and run it into my sump pump.

Mine doesn't have % control. The knob goes from "dry" to "more dry" to "always on".

#34 10 years ago

It has a 5 degree tolerance. You set it to 45, once it hits it, compressor turns off (fan may still run on some models). Compressor will kick back on when humidity hits 50 and then off whet it hits 45. Repeat cycle.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

It has a 5 degree tolerance. You set it to 45, once it hits it, compressor turns off (fan may still run on some models). Compressor will kick back on when humidity hits 50 and then off whet it hits 45. Repeat cycle.

Hysteresis is the word you're looking for, just like a thermostat.

#36 10 years ago

I disagree on the warranty. Everyone knows those are for suckers. Spending 25% more for something for a what if. Plus half of that the manufacturer has a warranty that overlaps. Electronic stores say they make the most money off of selling these "bonus" warranty packages.

#37 10 years ago

It is not overlapping at lowes or Home Depot. It adds to the warranty. So one year manuf plus 2 more. At lowes, it's $25 to extend a $200 unit for two additional years. That's only 12.5% of the cost. Again, in most electronics cases, extended warranty is useless, but with these, money well spent.

#38 10 years ago

Interesting thread. I was wondering why my two-year-old dehumidifier was grabbing far less water than my twelve-year-old model. Now I know.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Like another person posted its not the electronics that fail ( most of the time) its the condenser / evaporator or compressor itself. The coils are made of aluminum or plastic and tend to leak from thin wall porosity. If the freon charge gets low it will tend to ice up or not switch on at all. VERY cheap made, not intended to service and disposable by design. I have HVAC gauges and most are sealed systems that have no service port or Schroeder valve to add freon. This was a cost save as well. Its not hard to cut the line, braze in a valve, vacuum the system and charge but when the coils or compressor are junk its a waste of time and freon.

Its similar to the copper core / soldered radiator on the old cars Vs the new aluminum and plastic crap. There use to be radiator shops that could tank your radiator and solder the leak. Now they are basically junk as well and not really serviceable.

#40 10 years ago

As much as I dislike Walmart they take about ANYTHING back without hassle. Since most consumer level dehumidifiers are built similar you shop on price & warranty. If I need one in a pinch I would consider Walmart because they would likely swap a unit on the spot if it fails. If so that is the way to go IMHO.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deal-on-dehumidifierbest-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.