“JP Pro, JP Prem, or DP Pro”

• JP Pro 25 votes
    14%
  • JP Prem 95 votes
    52%
  • DP Pro 62 votes
    34%

(182 votes)

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

When all this crap is over, I've got a spot for one of these 2 games. Looking at JP Prem, or DP Pro. I've read the benefits of the left orbit shot on DP Prem, but it wouldn't be worth it for me. If you want to compare apples to apples, compare JP Pro to DP Pro. I've got the cash for JP Prem, but I would consider Pro models and save some cash. Have spent a good amount of time on both, so familiar with both Pro models. Have only played a JP LE for a few games.

#3 4 years ago

Deadpool pro is an amazing game, I picked up a HUO a couple months ago and have been having a blast!

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

When all this crap is over, I've got a spot for one of these 2 games. Looking at JP Prem, or DP Pro. I've read the benefits of the left orbit shot on DP Prem, but it wouldn't be worth it for me. If you want to compare apples to apples, compare JP Pro to DP Pro. I've got the cash for JP Prem, but I would consider Pro models and save some cash. Have spent a good amount of time on both, so familiar with both Pro models. Have only played a JP LE for a few games.

If you've spent a good amount of time on both Pro's and want to save cash, your issue is unclear.

I own 2 JP Premiums and think it's the best game Stern has ever done (with TRON LE right behind).

#5 4 years ago

play both and make up your own mind.
I am in the minority, but I have played DP a bunch and don't love it as much as others do

If you pick up a JP - the premium is a must. I can't imagine a JP with out the animated Trex and raptor pit

#6 4 years ago

I'd love either.

Wish JP has better artwork, DP wins that battle hands down, but can certainly live with it as is...

#7 4 years ago

JP Prem blew me away with how exciting, fun, and innovative it was. DP was just like “awesome art, but eh”

#8 4 years ago

I consider JP Premium / LE to be the best game ever made. JP pro probably best pro ever made.

I had a deadpool pro which i sold to buy JP .

Deadpool pro - great game , not a lot of depth , possibly better for a family because of the humor.

- Callouts and music are top-notch.
- Not as smooth a shooter as JP. Missed shots lead to that clunky feeling people seem to hate .
- The major attraction for me is the snikt shot along with the right ramp.
- The scoop feels like its going to wear out over time, like its an economy scoop,much like other recent games.
- Lil deadpool is somewhat original in functionality and placement, but it tends to be ignored during gameplay excepting for starting the initial multiball
as a stack.
- Combos are really fun , especially right loop to right ramp.
-Light show is blinding at times. Hit the boom and blind yourself , great!

Jurassic Park Premium - great game , tons of depth and achievements to go for.

- Still emerging code with possibly more fun things being added (Wizard mode mini game , much appreciated)
- Best toy in pinball - debatable. If you don't own one , you probably don't realize how often the "eat ball" function is used and used well
- Trex eats ball , moves from side to side angrily totoss the ball... and sometimes the eating ball action looks like hes saying super jackpot!
- 4 ramps that do not crowd the playfield.
- Combo! left ramp , right ramp , side flip ramp (upper flipper) , right side flip ramp, center spinner, to side loop . can be done mutiple ways
- Dinosaur modes with rescues. Well implemented that draws you into the theme. Rescue the employees . Shots move around and have intelligence
built-in to take on the traits of the dinosaur you are looking to capture.
- Helicopter . For those of you with subwoofers, the simple action of the helicopter blade spinning sounds realistic and prominent and is as fast as the
blade is spinning , aka variable throughout the game.
- Raptor pen . With the wall , you have a more dangerous raptor pen. On pro you can usually backhand your way to glory. The raptor pen is integrated
well into some areas you wouldnt expect.
- Multiball rules - easily the best ever across all multiballs. Trex multiball is pure genius from starting animation to progressive jackpot building. Raptor
and Chaos also have their own "stages" top work through. Well thought out and the new standard for pinball programming. Read tiltforums rulesheet.
- Wizards - mini wizards (for control room, trex modes and dino modes) , some hiddden modes , game is packed
- DNA and fossils . For combos and mode completions - make things more valuable or help progress
- High score board . Has multiple place to add your name for particular accomplishments.
- Truck you! Hitting the truck changes the path of the game and also can moves shots and mode selection. Many ways to play.
- If you dont buy JP id be surprised after this gloating review!
- you can easily get rid of either popular game , barring a complete pinball market meltdown , which is more possible than ever.

#9 4 years ago

JP prem no question - prob sterns best.

If you're doing DP, have to get premium IMO. That right orbit shoot is so damn butter!

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If you've spent a good amount of time on both Pro's and want to save cash, your issue is unclear.
I own 2 JP Premiums and think it's the best game Stern has ever done (with TRON LE right behind).

I have the cash to buy a Premium right now. I've spent good time on both and enjoy both. JP Prem is a consideration but DP Prem isn't. If JP Prem is not worth it over JP Pro, then I would be happy with a Pro and the extra cash, so that's why it's between the 3 games.

Overall I like the shot flow of JP better than DP, but DP's layout is also unique enough where I don't have a problem with a little bit of the clunkiness. Theme-wise, I prefer DP over JP, as well as artwork. Rules on both games are great. I prefer sound and callouts on DP over JP. Both games edge out the other in different categories, but it seems as though JP Prem is winning out so far.

#11 4 years ago

The only negative I've heard of JP2's actual game play is that it can be too difficult for some people. DP on the other hand is known as a much longer ball time game. Also DP seems like a much more straightforward games rules-wise for casual players -- just battling the bad guys -- I'm sure JP2 is much easier to understand in person, but watching streams my eyes kind of glaze over trying to understand what's going on (to be fair I've made zero effort to learn the rules).

Tough choice -- I could see myself deciding between the two sometime soon -- unless you get sick of your TWD pro and decide to sell it

#12 4 years ago

I absolutely love Deadpool and am not a fan or all that familiar with the character Deadpool. It’s just so darn fun! For the price, the Deadpool Pro is a steal. The JP Premium is awesome as well, but am not as enamored with the moving T-Rex head as some other people. I’m not saying it isn’t cool. I just don’t know if it’s worth the extra cash. Anyway, I vote for Deadpool Pro given the gameplay for the price.

#13 4 years ago

For the sake of not starting another thread which is the deeper game, Elvira HOH or Jurassic Park? I've been debating between getting a DP, EHOH, or JP for a while and have it down between EHOH and JP. I'm a big fan of deep objective based pins that tell a themes story well through code but still not sure which game pulls that off better (haven't played many games of either, only on location). I was keep thinking that EHOH may end up having Batman 66 level depth but that may not end of being the case (still deep nonetheless). JP code seems very deep with multiple wizard modes and even two super wizard modes.

#14 4 years ago

For me DP is mindless fun: just fling balls around and they always seem to hit something good. The code is good enough and you don't have to think too hard about what to do.

JP involves a lot more thinking, is a deeper game with more interesting choices, but also much harder shots. If you're just flipping around, you're probably bricking a lot and not getting meaningful credits for the shots you do make (because you really need to be hitting very specific shots most of the time).

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For the sake of not starting another thread which is the deeper game, Elvira HOH or Jurassic Park? I've been debating between getting a DP, EHOH, or JP for a while and have it down between EHOH and JP. I'm a big fan of deep objective based pins that tell a themes story well through code but still not sure which game pulls that off better (haven't played many games of either, only on location). I was keep thinking that EHOH may end up having Batman 66 level depth but that may not end of being the case (still deep nonetheless). JP code seems very deep with multiple wizard modes and even two super wizard modes.

Then JP is your pin

#16 4 years ago

I would say it JP and its not really close but that's because I hate the multiplier shot on DP. I've never really played a game like DP where I had a great time but then saw my total score was really low and that's because of how random the multiplier shot can be on that game. I like to try and beat my high scores and if that doesn't really matter to you then either game will be fine. Just an FYI I am probably in the minority in this view.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRookie:

I would say it JP and its not really close but that's because I hate the multiplier shot on DP. I've never really played a game like DP where I had a great time but then saw my total score was really low and that's because of how random the multiplier shot can be on that game. I like to try and beat my high scores and if that doesn't really matter to you then either game will be fine. Just an FYI I am probably in the minority in this view.

I don't feel the multiplier on Deadpool is random at all. It is a shot like any other, albeit not in a natural spot in a fan layout, but it can be practiced and hit with consistency.

#18 4 years ago

Op, thanks for posting I'm thinking about adding either of these games as well.

Leaning towards JP not sure if I would got pro or premium. I'm normally a buyer of pro's.

Good luck.

#19 4 years ago

JP has not bit me, I mean played it was not that impressed as all the laurels it's getting.

I'd say Maiden>DP>JP

#20 4 years ago

If you’re deciding between the Premium and Pro, it’s worth noting that I was seeing a fair amount of JP Premiums on location that had disabled the T-Rex. If the mouth isn’t sticking, it pretty much ruins the game.

Raptor area is definitely better on Premium.

But also, I’m a Pro snob.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

JP has not bit me, I mean played it was not that impressed as all the laurels it's getting.
I'd say Maiden>DP>JP

Maiden shoots well, ball times are a bit long, but I don't care for anything else about it (theme, music, rules, call outs, display graphics).

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

If you’re deciding between the Premium and Pro, it’s worth noting that I was seeing a fair amount of JP Premiums on location that had disabled the T-Rex. If the mouth isn’t sticking, it pretty much ruins the game.
Raptor area is definitely better on Premium.
But also, I’m a Pro snob.

I tend to gravitate towards Pros too, but I think the T-rex adds a lot of character to the game. Plus I've got young kids that will get a kick out of it too. Other than that, they both shoot pretty much the same IME.

Are there general reliability issues with the T-Rex head? It'll be in my home, so won't get nearly as much use as a location, but I still don't want to deal with a potential T-rex headache.

#23 4 years ago

Between DP Pro and JP Premium...I would vote for JP Premium all day long! Amazing game from pretty much all perspectives: code, shot layout, toys, theme integration, etc.. If the only knock is artwork then I'd take that all day long as the only negative. Personally, I think the cab side artwork on the JP Premium is great. I don't love the translite art, but don't hate it either. This is such a fun and challenging game and would agree that it's probably Stern's best ever.

If the price difference between the two isn't a factor then JP Premium for the win for sure!

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:

I don't feel the multiplier on Deadpool is random at all. It is a shot like any other, albeit not in a natural spot in a fan layout, but it can be practiced and hit with consistency.

Completely agree with this. There’s definitely a repeatable sweet spot on mine. It’s just super narrow.

#25 4 years ago

Own a jp pre and a dp pro. Love both, but i have been playing a ton of dp lately. Barely even turning on jp. Id say dp pro is the better buy. Glad i have jp, but i love almost everything about deadpool, and rarely scream at it for cheap drains

#26 4 years ago

I love mode based games, but one of my favorite things about DP is that you don't always have to be in one. Everything adds progress to something attainable. ryanwanger touched on it, but it's not random that you hit "something good" on every shot. In DP, unlit shots aren't meaningless. Almost any shot at any time moves the player closer to a specific feature. There really are no "dead" shots. It reminds me of MM that way.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Maiden shoots well, ball times are a bit long, but I don't care for anything else about it (theme, music, rules, call outs, display graphics).

I agree, but still have it in the collection. Fun game to bat the ball around, but it just doesn't grab me otherwise...

Quoted from FatPanda:

I tend to gravitate towards Pros too, but I think the T-rex adds a lot of character to the game. Plus I've got young kids that will get a kick out of it too. Other than that, they both shoot pretty much the same IME.
Are there general reliability issues with the T-Rex head? It'll be in my home, so won't get nearly as much use as a location, but I still don't want to deal with a potential T-rex headache.

T-Rex is awesome. My 2 Premiums haven't had any T-Rex problems, but I've seen many issues pop up on the JP threads. Premiums always have more issues than Pros. I still can't imagine the game with it...especially with some of the snazzy programming where it behaves differently throughout the game.

#28 4 years ago

JP pro if you want to save some cash.

#29 4 years ago

I'm grateful enough to say right now that cash isn't a problem. I have a pin fund that is waiting for a new game. So it's not that I'm "strapped for cash" it's that if JP Pro is the better game over the Prem version, I have no issues going Pro.

Really appreciating everyone's comments! It's helpful to read the different perspectives.

#30 4 years ago

may be tough to get a pin nib right now. i just emailed for a JP premium and my guy is all out. its fine as Im probably more ready in may/june

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

may be tough to get a pin nib right now. i just emailed for a JP premium and my guy is all out. its fine as Im probably more ready in may/june

I'll be waiting until the country is well back on track (ie, no new cases for at least a week, if not 2) before I make a purchase. I'm a patient guy

#32 4 years ago

I LOVE Deadpool. Had a pro, sold it with all intentions to upgrade to the premium, then other stuff happened which postponed that. I will have one back someday soon...not sure yet if it will be pro or prem. Awesome game, pure fun. You have to appreciate the humor or it will get old fast, but if you do, it's hilarious.

That said, Jurassic Park is better in every way. It's a kitchen sink game for me...it has it all. Amazing and unique shots...a mixture of close/far/easy/difficult/flowy/sniper/etc shots. It doesn't shoot like anything else out there (though the same could be said for DP). The code is amazing, and works so well with the playfield. There are so many ways to play it, all satisfying, and enough depth to keep you busy for years. I love the art, AV assets, etc. Everything just comes together 100% for me. It's amazingly fun to mod and personalize. Etc, etc. It is everything amazing about modern pinball to me.

I'm a little surprised that you eliminated DP premium from the running, which is an upgrade that changes the game in a fairly significant way, while keeping JP premium in the running, which adds cool gimmicks, but really doesn't change the gameplay much. I went with JP pro, and most will think I'm just justifying my purchase, but I honestly do not see the value in the upgrades for this one. With the pro I was able to swap in a completely badass looking Papo T-Rex, which when combined with the lighting and flashers looks 1000x cooler than the ugly stock brontosaurus head. The ball eating trick is super-cool when it works, but I'm happier with the overall aesthetic improvement even though mine is static. The raptor pit is also cool, but again a dropping wall of targets just doesn't justify the cost difference for me. And no, you cannot just easily backhand your way into raptor multiball as it takes at least one (but might be a couple?) shots all the way through to the back target, and that can't be done consistently from a backhand. Yes, the premium pen is cooler, but just not that much cooler. Spinning helicopter blades can be modded in. Not sure how much difference the sound trigger makes, but my switch does trigger a copter sound when shooting the S ramp. It just isn't timed to the blades. Again...kind of cool, but not a game changer. If money were truly no object, yeah I would have gotten an LE (I think the art is amazing on that one), but in the real world, I just couldn't justify those gimmicks improving the game enough to upgrade. Deadpool is different in that it has a completely different shot path, opening up a repeatable flowing shot that isn't there on the pro, plus adds a completely different mode to go with it. The rest are just gimmicks to me (drop targets could be argued either way), but they do combine to be worth the upgrade in my mind. In the end, I may end up with another pro, and be happy, but this is one of the relatively few cases where I think a premium upgrade could be justified.

As always, just my opinions, and I can definitely see why many prefer the JP prem/LE.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I LOVE Deadpool. Had a pro, sold it with all intentions to upgrade to the premium, then other stuff happened which postponed that. I will have one back someday soon...not sure yet if it will be pro or prem. Awesome game, pure fun. You have to appreciate the humor or it will get old fast, but if you do, it's hilarious.
That said, Jurassic Park is better in every way. It's a kitchen sink game for me...it has it all. Amazing and unique shots...a mixture of close/far/easy/difficult/flowy/sniper/etc shots. It doesn't shoot like anything else out there (though the same could be said for DP). The code is amazing, and works so well with the playfield. There are so many ways to play it, all satisfying, and enough depth to keep you busy for years. I love the art, AV assets, etc. Everything just comes together 100% for me. It's amazingly fun to mod and personalize. Etc, etc. It is everything amazing about modern pinball to me.
I'm a little surprised that you eliminated DP premium from the running, which is an upgrade that changes the game in a fairly significant way, while keeping JP premium in the running, which adds cool gimmicks, but really doesn't change the gameplay much. I went with JP pro, and most will think I'm just justifying my purchase, but I honestly do not see the value in the upgrades for this one. With the pro I was able to swap in a completely badass looking Papo T-Rex, which when combined with the lighting and flashers looks 1000x cooler than the ugly stock brontosaurus head. The ball eating trick is super-cool when it works, but I'm happier with the overall aesthetic improvement even though mine is static. The raptor pit is also cool, but again a dropping wall of targets just doesn't justify the cost difference for me. And no, you cannot just easily backhand your way into raptor multiball as it takes at least one (but might be a couple?) shots all the way through to the back target, and that can't be done consistently from a backhand. Yes, the premium pen is cooler, but just not that much cooler. Spinning helicopter blades can be modded in. Not sure how much difference the sound trigger makes, but my switch does trigger a copter sound when shooting the S ramp. It just isn't timed to the blades. Again...kind of cool, but not a game changer. If money were truly no object, yeah I would have gotten an LE (I think the art is amazing on that one), but in the real world, I just couldn't justify those gimmicks improving the game enough to upgrade. Deadpool is different in that it has a completely different shot path, opening up a repeatable flowing shot that isn't there on the pro, plus adds a completely different mode to go with it. The rest are just gimmicks to me (drop targets could be argued either way), but they do combine to be worth the upgrade in my mind. In the end, I may end up with another pro, and be happy, but this is one of the relatively few cases where I think a premium upgrade could be justified.
As always, just my opinions, and I can definitely see why many prefer the JP prem/LE.

Great to hear your thoughts, Chris!

#34 4 years ago

Why not go dp premium? Seems like jp is a deeper game, but do is fun. Depth is average to maybe w little over average.

#35 4 years ago

Good thread. I want both of these pins in pro or premium. I think I would be happy with either DP/JP - pro/premium. So it really depends on which pin/version pops up local at a decent price once the lockdown is over.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

Why not go dp premium? Seems like jp is a deeper game, but do is fun. Depth is average to maybe w little over average.

I'm not considering DP premium because I don't feel that the differences between the Pro version and the Prem version is worth the cost.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

Good thread. I want both of these pins in pro or premium. I think I would be happy with either DP/JP - pro/premium. So it really depends on which pin/version pops up local at a decent price once the lockdown is over.

Yeah...it really is a no lose situation. Both great games...high up as the best modern games ever. Both pros and premiums are a total package and are not HUGE differences like some games. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up any of the 4 machines.

#38 4 years ago

What are the differences between DP Pro and Premium?

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Gritty:

What are the differences between DP Pro and Premium?

Left orbit feeds right flipper via ramp is the major difference

#40 4 years ago

I own both and enjoy Deadpool so much more. To me JP is kinda a dud. Iron Maiden is a better choice.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

I consider JP Premium to be the best game ever made.

We'll have to see how it stands the test of time. Other games have been loved for decades.

Quoted from V8haha:

I own JP and to me JP is kind of a dud.

I'd believe you, but it looks like you're always laughing when you post your opinions.

#42 4 years ago

I can fund one pro and i can’t make up my mind what to do ....JP Pro or DP Pro, my 2 daughters 7 and 5 will they have fun with JP? Maybe to difficult for them and me

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from dutchi:

I can fund one pro and i can’t make up my mind what to do ....JP Pro or DP Pro, my 2 daughters 7 and 5 will they have fun with JP? Maybe to difficult for them and me

DP pro has a more accessible ruleset, so i think that would be the way to go if your kids are a consideration.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from dutchi:

I've JP Prem since 4 months.
My son have 8 year old and we play sometime with DP (LE) in a coffee near to house.
Clearly he talks about DP with love and he plays rarely with JP in house .. too difficult for him.

But for me, after 2600 plays, my JP Prem is always a pleasure.

Note. We are neeby in Pinball universe

#45 4 years ago

JP2 Premium, the extras make the discrepancy in price tolerable. I prefer the layout and code more than DP.

#46 4 years ago

DP gets my vote. It's just more fun to play IMO..has a great art package, great light show, solid music and call outs with a very good rule set. I had a JP Premium for a little while and we loved the spectacle of it, but the tight shots and punishing drains resulted in feeling frustrated and us selling it and buying a Maiden and we've been loving it. TBH though, I'm not a big fan of the JP theme and the music/call outs were mostly meh to me so that's a factor. I also think the art package is pretty unappealing. We all loved the T Rex and the code is really inventive even if we never got a chance to see much of it.

I personally think the DP premium is worth the money. The full orbit shot is so much more satisfying and I love the disco ball. I also prefer the art of the Premium.

#47 4 years ago

I recently had to make this exact same decision! Theme and art dp wins for me by a fair margin. But where the pavement hits the road is gameplay. Don't get me wrong dp is a fun game...but...for me personally, I prefer shorter ball time games with tougher shots. So I bought a JP premium and do not regret it. Sterns best game ever and possibly the best game period. Tough shots, great rules, great modes...it just gets your blood pumping. So much to do and so many different ways to attack it. When you're hitting your shots it's just amazing. It will also kick your ass in a heartbeat...but I love that also.

#48 4 years ago

I own a DP Prem and JP2 Prem and I love both of them. They really are two completely different games. DP I find more relaxing and I’ve been playing it much more lately; however, JP2 is a fantastic game that I’d rate higher overall.

I personally wouldn’t go pro on either game. Raptor pit and trex are pretty cool toys. DP premium has improved flow and and I think an extra mode. Tough choice!

So close to call, I’m not even going to vote.

#49 4 years ago

You really can't go wrong. Both are great games.

#50 4 years ago

Good to read all the posts here.

There are olmost no “toys” in JP, no magnet no drop target...ok a third flipper, ramps and the newton ball and the code/rules are superb.

I guess that’s enough but it would have been cool for one magnet or drop target was there at Jp
I have to play them again to make up my mind.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 113.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
€ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-vs-jurassic-park?hl=snappahead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.