oil-oil-filter-and-gear-oil-kit-[2]-63425-p (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
20180906_172732 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
Screenshot 2018-09-06 at 9.04.03 AM (resized).png
2F0B6267-FD1C-41FA-B2FB-71C9C08CE279.jpeg
0687750E-FB4F-47A6-9DF6-F0467479EF52.jpeg
C530FB9F-6E63-42B5-9F40-663D363AD6B4.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Tanio Klyce is lead.

that is awesome news!

I have spoken with him a few times and super nice guy that likely is going to bring in some new code ideas!!!!

congrats Tanio!

#357 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm not too keen on "family friendly" v2.0 Levi.
Where's the barred-from-the-forums, "I'll take that as a maybe" (lol), fist in yer face Levi?
I miss that hellraiser.
Levi 1.0 ftw.

I heardthe sandals are even Gone in 2.1 version.

#378 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think what it comes down to is they've "upped their game" when it comes to reveals. The trailer is great. Good timing. They got some excitement going. Went a lot smoother than say, the Batman 66 reveal.
That's really all anybody cares about around here anyhow.

lets not bust out the kneepads for this trailer.

Did they really get the hype right? Seems to have already died off in one day, photo of John T playfield was leaked forever ago and the actual game seems largely unchanged from that (understandably they want to distance themselves from that situation), and what makes this good timing?

I am somewhat puzzled why this game dropped now as I was under the impression both Maiden and GOTG are selling well??? This will just steal a few sales from those games IMHO.

Stern has done a bunch of things well in this game but I dont think the hype is one of them (when lots of LEs are left after d1 then that is a miss in my book for their likely expectations ala Maiden).

They have great artists now doing cool looking games
They have new coders in the mix bringing new ideas.
Hopefully this game comes out in good shape codewise and we start to see an actual trend of games that are playable on release (they are still inconsistent on this)
Service rails appear to be back as standard in pro which is great! Hopefully proper cabinet hardware returns also and hopefully the pf issues are finally licked.

They are definitely doing better than they were just a year ago and an actual release video should be the minimum expectation and let be honest BM66 was the lowest bar possible for release hype.

#396 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You are kidding right?
Nah, we know you, and you aren't.
They hype ALWAYS lasts "one day." That's how it is. There's only so many people around to either post "this rules!" or "where's the toys?!" When there's a gameplay reveal there will be fresh hype and we can spend another day on it. And so on and so on. And then the game comes out and everybody is begging for the next reveal. We've been through this a million times.
Why are you playing dumb? The fact is Stern has been through this cycle about THREE TIMES since we've last heard anything new from all the other companies.
That alone shows Stern is doing it right. You get a boom, followed by another boom, followed by a big boom, and then on to the next game. You don't go for a HUGE boom and then don't release a game for a year, which seems to be the general MO from most of the other companies.

Ironmaiden surely did not die out. That game is still hype. I assume that is the level of hype they are striving for and associated sales?

Quoted from Sinestro:

The leaked photo was Gomez's whitewood.

interesting, I wonder what the story is behind the leak. The original timing of when it circulated was a while ago and seemed to fall in line with timing of JohnT stuff. I was also told at that time is was John T design and honestly some things look that way to me.

#404 5 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

but I'm not quite sure what to think of this layout until I play it. It seems like there's a lot of nothing new if you strip away the artwork, and I know from experience that this can be good or bad. It can be good like Ironman, or not so good like other fan layouts. I'm going to wait until I play this one to decide (no early ordering for me).

to me it seems like a pretty standard fan layout. All 7 of the main lanes to shoot are evenly placed around the pf and the nearly exact same entry point.
The stand ups are similarly placed on the sides and similar depth of field.
The drop bank is a bit of change form the norm for location, angle, and depth.

I perceive this will shoot similar to all standard Stern layouts in over all feel.

I think the success/failure of the shot feel is going to largely depend on the cleanness of the right orbit/loop over ramp to sword feed and speed of this.
If the design works reliably regardless of game pitch (so it is consistent) and ball maintains speed for the return then that is going to feel cool. It seems to also then allow for some crisscross combo of ramps to alternate flipper.

deadpool (resized).jpgdeadpool (resized).jpg
#406 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Now you are moving the goal posts, clumsily.
Maiden is selling. But is there a FIRE next to every maiden thread? Of course not. That's the "hype" we are discussing.
I'm not asking you to give Stern a blow job so you can put away your knee pads, but it's silly to pretend they didn't get this reveal right.

I think you have that job covered

#438 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

JT might not even have gotten to the whitewood

ummm...

phrasing

#449 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Lets face it Stern is muscling the competition out. Who can keep up

are they really?

From what I see, Stern has less market share and more costs than ever in total. They appear to be strong but not muscling anything around.

In the past few years Spooky has produced over 1000 games and has at least another 700 on order (450+ACNC, 250+TNA and counting). That alone is 6mil in sales. and other couple mil in the wings.

JJP has a couple thousand games for probably 10+ mil

CGC a couple thousand for probably 6+mil

That is over 20mil in sales that have come out from Stern pockets compared to when they were the only one in the game.

It appears to me that all the major players are doing just fine. I mean... prices keep going up so something is working out for them and no real hints of things turning. If Stern starts dropping prices, then I would say that something is happening and they are either needing to increase numbers or trying to muscle things.

Right now, they all seem to be good. If anything the market being taken by other companies is forcing Stern to increase churn of new titles to keep the monster running.

#456 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

There is literally another thread that you are active in were Stern just muscled Spooky around.

that was less muscling and more just 1 dude being a dick for the sake of being a dick.

I honestly think Stern is likely too big to be sustainable at this level. The cycle time to build more games is not because each one is selling so many. It is because their model is to keep the machine running and they have a new factory to pay down, tons of staff and lots of new hires. Even hits like Maiden dont appear to be selling like hits from just a few years ago. More games per year in order to maintain the same total sales numbers. If Maiden sales were still strong then it would have prevented DP announcement.

All the while other competitors are producing games in numbers. They may be much slower but those numbers are impacting Sterns churn of new games.

#460 5 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Stern has been growing 40% YOY according to Gary Stern. Given overall its a really niche market, manufacturing in the USA, etc etc, that's pretty impressive.

the publicly available data does not seem to mesh with that. Sure we never know actual production numbers but it sure does not appear sales are anywhere near 40% growth YOY

#469 5 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Especially with the impact that Alien and Predator made...

possibly the worst offenders. They took millions off the table that evaporated, ruined consumer morale, and could not be later sold to recoup for other new purchases.

#515 5 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Arguing with whysnow is a moronic exercise due to his loose grasp of facts, blatant cheerleading/hating, cherrypicking of data, etc so I don't event know why I am wading into this but here goes.

EABODs

Quoted from DBLM:

You allege to have insight into Spooky's particulars

nope, not once. I have no insider knowledge, just support the locals and for that matter anyone that has some heart in pinball (spooky sure seems to have that in dividends so makes it easy to vote with dollars to support them)

Quoted from DBLM:

are they going to be able to generate enough volume to be relevant?

yet here we are in a DP thread talking about other manufacturers... and in the same few weeks when Stern has publicly acknowledged that they are threatened by Spooky by sniping a license because it is "just business" *that means that Spooky is having an impact...

Quoted from DBLM:

The Spooky crew could be in a position where they are the right size and scale for them

seems like they are doing fine and have it all figured out for what they need.

Quoted from DBLM:

As flynn already mentioned, Stern is focused on profitability per unit.

Stern is doing fine... so are the other companies. Obvious to me that those other companies selling games has had an impact on Stern. I am not sure why that seems so hard for some to see when it is blatantly obvious based on metadata of owned games, what we all see in public, and what is obviously happening.

Pinball is growing, all the companies are growing, and things are peachy. At the same time, changes to the pinball hobby and collector hobby are changing right along with it. Fun to talk about this and sorry you always feel it is arguing. oh well...

Quoted from DBLM:

Arguing with whysnow is a moronic

#536 5 years ago

So,what are street prices on the pro?

If this this is actual R rated, may get one for route.

#538 5 years ago
Quoted from tbaum:

Looks like it will be $5,999 on Stern (http://www.sternpinball.com/games/deadpool/pro) but there have been a lot of listings on the pinside market for $5,700

Sorry i should have been more clear, what are they really going for?

PMs are welcome and appreciated if people don't like to share publicly.

#542 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

$100 off promo @ eBay today + eBay bucks + your CC rewards should bring it down to $5,450

Is anyone getting better prices? That is like 250 more than maiden.

#560 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

If you got Maiden Pro for $5200 you should go back to that distributor, several hundred less than what most people here reported paying.

Show games were way less for everyone on Maiden. Unfortunately I dont think Stern is making the same show push right now so no show games to be had.

The majority of the first Maidens to go out the door were a rocking price for everyone. All the games at MGC and Allentown were the same price and that was over 50 games alone.

Aside from that I called around for a 2nd maiden and delivered price was 5300 to 5500, now DP price is 5500 to 5700. Is everyone else really seeing a $200 increase from Maiden to DP?

#563 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

How in the world have you been in pinball so long, owned so many games, have games on route, but you do not have a go to distributor? Everyone I know that has bought very many games has a distributor that they use and trust to get them a solid price on every purchase. It's as simple as shooting them a text at that point. If prices go up they tell you that stern raised prices and that it's across the board.

The price increases for every game have made it difficult to trust anyone.

It is smart business to check everyone once in a while to make sure what you are being told is holding true for others also.

Same goes for all your insurance. Dont trust your guy just because you have been with them forever. It pays to check around rather than just assume they are treating you fair.

#564 5 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

From what I’ve heard, many weren’t quoted that low for IMDN so it’s not a $200 increase to them.

??? I was pretty sure everyone was getting Maiden for up to 5300 delivered for a non show game??? Heard some paying 5500, but nobody paid over that, at least nobody I spoke with.

#567 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

This is not buying insurance. It's adults buying toys that none of us need. I also don't have to check around. Prices are hinted at or flat out posted online constantly so you pretty much always know if you are getting the right price or not. Your distro knows this also and if they value you as a customer they are not going to risk losing your business to screw you out of $100 on one sale. I have friends that use different people and we all know what we are paying and our distros know that we are not stupid.
On the contrary if you are someone that is not loyal and is always shopping round and seldom buying games from the same distro you seem more likely to get the standard (not a good customer) quote.

ok, so I guess I should have phrased the question better... Is everyone experiencing a $200 price increase on DP compared to what they were getting for Maiden?

I buy enough games that you cant always use 1 person because they dont have stock when it is needed.
Loyalty is important but so is the ability to get the game when you or a friend needs it. I also have helped many route customers to buy their first game for home, so I will call around for them to put them in contact with a distributor. Always happy to help people when getting a first game.

#569 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Depending on when you bought your IMDN it looks like there is about $100-$200 difference in most prices that I have seen.

thanks

#575 5 years ago
Quoted from tbaum:

From reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/pinball/comments/95xirl/the_script_for_deadpool_pinball_was_written_by/) Brian Posehn wrote the script for the game, which is amazing - he's a great comedian and wrote 45 issues of Deadpool from 2012-2015. A solid choice!

that is Fing great!!!

super funny dude! excited he is behind this!

#653 5 years ago

this seems like the quickest yet!

Very impressive with how quick they can make it happen.

#657 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yup.
It's almost like they are a real pinball company or something.

we should play a game Levi (in a new thread)
For every 1 thing you say that is accurate but critical of Stern in the past 5 years, I will say something that is accurate but positive.

#667 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You should have followed that with a [quoted image]

missed opportunity for a BOOM!

#748 5 years ago

Would be a great easter egg and toss back to FG pinball

3 weeks later
#1266 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I’d rather put whipped cream on my ramps than WD40

Banger always suggests putting whipped cream on your balls.

#1270 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I do WD40 on my ramps.
I wipe it off immediately, but it prevents rust, cleans and gives it a nice shine.

noted to never buy a game from you...

sorry but any flamable lubricant is a no-no.
The balls will carry it everywhere in the game and gunk crap up.

Novus to clean when needed, 100% carnuba wax to protect and make it shine, ONLY lub at metal pivots and VERY VERY sparingly. Best case to be clear to noobs is NEVER lube anything on a pinball machine. It simply is not needed and will cause issues.

#1293 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I wouldn't. I think Iron Man is a much better game. They're very different though, so opinion would vary wildly from player to player.

I agree. Plus supposed IM code update is coming at some point.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 9,695.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bryn Athyn, PA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
DEAD POOL (PRO) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Grovetown, GA
$ 113.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 37.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
HurryUpPinball

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lucxor

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-so-many-booms?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.