oil-oil-filter-and-gear-oil-kit-[2]-63425-p (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
20180906_172732 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
Screenshot 2018-09-06 at 9.04.03 AM (resized).png
2F0B6267-FD1C-41FA-B2FB-71C9C08CE279.jpeg
0687750E-FB4F-47A6-9DF6-F0467479EF52.jpeg
C530FB9F-6E63-42B5-9F40-663D363AD6B4.jpeg

There are 1,380 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 28.
#201 5 years ago

Love the sword (katana?) ramp. Clever.

#202 5 years ago

ok how do you make the upper ramp, not seeing a flipper.

#203 5 years ago

The only Deadpool movie that I liked was a Dirty Harry movie.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

From the left bottom flipper.

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Shoot the right inner orbit and the ball hopefully makes it from the orbit up the ramp.

The shot will either be another Black Widow clunk shot, a brilliant new take on a ramp shot, or somewhere inbetween. The shot is the ball-lock shot so hopefully it works reliably.

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from _KIRK_:

OK, Internet cool "guy".

I may be internet cool, but I'll never be "BWAHAHAHAHA internet cool.

And that sucks.

#207 5 years ago

The red makes the LE looks clowny, but other than that I'm super stoked on everything about this one.

#208 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I may be internet cool, but I'll never be "BWAHAHAHAHA internet cool.
And that sucks.

Um, yeah. I had no idea I was cool at all, but thanks. You're easily impressed.

#209 5 years ago

Left upper ramp 'curve' is typical Gomez!

Link with time stamp.

#210 5 years ago

I am in for a LE

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Shoot the right inner orbit and the ball hopefully makes it from the orbit up the ramp.
The shot will either be another Black Widow clunk shot, a brilliant new take on a ramp shot, or somewhere inbetween.

Per matrix: Left orbit shot feeds right flipper via up/down ramp on the Prem/LE.

I'd like a little more clarity on that, because it's hard to tell what this means from looking at playfield. I thought it meant that there is an obscured flap that drops down in the back LT corner to divert the ball from the left orbit to the sword & back to the right flipper. That gives you two ways to get to the sword on the Prem/LE, but now I'm not so sure.

Anyone know?

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

What's the saying about boats? It's a hole in the water you throw money into?
That's what LCD's are for pinball. Giant resource sucking traps. Has nothing to do with gameplay. But must be filled with SOMETHING because it's there.

People might have said the same thing when DMDs came out?

#213 5 years ago

So is"DP" in the top 5 yet or what

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yep, seems like pretty much the worst thing to happen to pinball developers. We really should have just stuck with DMD and moved to color - they look great, are the perfect size, and aren't a black hole for resources.

Until you realize how good maiden is and JJP for that matter

#215 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Per matrix: Left orbit shot feeds right flipper via up/down ramp on the Prem/LE.
I'd like a little more clarity on that, because it's hard to tell what this means from looking at playfield. I thought it meant that there is an obscured flap that drops down in the back LT corner to divert the ball from the left orbit to the sword & back to the right flipper. That gives you two ways to get to the sword on the Prem/LE, but now I'm not so sure.
Anyone know?

I think the drop ramp is on the right side of the game just to the right of the sword ramp. after the ball makes it around the orbit it goes up the drop ramp and onto the sword ramp.

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Not really. DMD opened the gates to "modes", so yes it sucked ressources, but it did something with gameplay.

#217 5 years ago

Has no one noticed this on the Pro yet? A plastic of Deadpool in a hammock that swings back & forth instead of the disco ball. Cool idea. Pretty sure a plastic has never been used like that before.

26f74929c45cde5c7cb481f951c1d21b9a80a936 (resized).jpg26f74929c45cde5c7cb481f951c1d21b9a80a936 (resized).jpg

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Anyone know?

On the Prem/LE, there's a backwards facing lift ramp in the shooter lane (not on Pro photos). Also on the Prem/LE there are two 2-way gates whereas on the Pro there's a 2-way and a 1-way.

Therefore as I understand it, on the Prem/LE you can hit the left orbit and the gates will open to allow it to go down the shooter lane, at which point the lift ramp will be in the down position bring it up to the blade of the sword. This will allow looping the right flipper which may have an advantage in the rules. The ramps as-is on the Pro look to be cross-shot friendlier, so you don't get repeat shots as much.

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think the drop ramp is on the right side of the game just to the right of the sword ramp. after the ball makes it around the orbit it goes up the drop ramp and onto the sword ramp.

Oh damn now I see it. Yep that works.

I guess the ball lock on the sword will work similar to LOTR then. If you make the ramp shot with a ball locked & the lock insert isn't lit, it should lock the 2nd ball & release the first one. I always thought that physical lock on LOTR was so cool. Nice to see they using that design again.

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Exactly.

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Not really. DMD opened the gates to "modes", so yes it sucked ressources, but it did something with gameplay.

There were modes before the DMD.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I love pixel art, and to me pinball is retro - so using retro styled art is A-OK in my book. My problem with what I've seen so far is how they're approaching composition on their screen...and this is a problem I think they've had since they've moved to LCD. Due to Stern's LCD size and aspect ratio, it's hard to know where my eye is supposed to go when looking at the screen. The "big wide open room with a few full bodied characters in profile" isn't really what I want to see on a pinball display. It reminds me of the sidescrolling scenes in Star Trek & Ghostbusters. They just don't "feel pinball". I'd rather see the important elements like the score and icons BIGGER and take up a decent strip of the screen...and the character graphics be more like comic book panels or closer up like the example image below. They seem to be going for more of a "diorama" approach (like Aerosmith) rather than coming up with interesting compositions that work for clear information & entertainment. [quoted image]

Gosh,, this guy really gets it! He should get into graphic design or annimation or something...

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

There were modes before the DMD.

Yes. My Operation Thunder is the best game of all time because of that, but still...

#224 5 years ago

looks cool, am interested

#225 5 years ago

Video modes were a a mistake. I'm not sure why they're still hanging around, but very few are worth the time it takes to implement them or for stopping up the ball. They were novel for a time, but they just became an unfortunate but oddly necessary thing to include.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Yes. My Operation Thunder is the best game of all time because of that, but still...

There's always grumpy old timers in Pinball. Doesn't matter what decade you're talking about.

Some hated SS games when they came out. Others thought the DMD was unnecessary. Now we get LCD blowback from some players.

Same shit, different day. Meanwhile, pinball evolves.

#227 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Video modes were a a mistake. I'm not sure why they're still hanging around, but very few are worth the time it takes to implement them or for stopping up the ball. They were novel for a time, but they just became an unfortunate but oddly necessary thing to include.

Amen! Although rather than "very few" I would say "none of them".

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yep, seems like pretty much the worst thing to happen to pinball developers. We really should have just stuck with DMD and moved to color - they look great, are the perfect size, and aren't a black hole for resources.

Look man, I told you before, stop making sense! I'm trying to be offended by you and you are not making it easy...

#229 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Hmmm when I think back to when DMDs came out one of the first things I remember was T2 and HS2 video modes and how innovative and cool it was. I think if the effort is made like what was done in IJ its certainly worthwhile.

#230 5 years ago

Are there video modes confirmed in this game?

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Now we get LCD blowback from some players.

Ben's point is that it's a massive shift in the time you have to spend creating content. For something the player hardly looks at when they're playing, it's doing a good job of jacking up prices because of the man hours needed to make it look good.

The shift from alphanumeric to dmd wasn't as drastic. Early on they were mostly numbers/text with some crude animation slapped in now and then. The shift from DMD to LCD is a much larger effort on the content creation end to not have it look terrible.

JJP has done a good job (and has a great size LCD) of making the display gorgeous to work as an attractant to people who aren't actively playing. So at least they're getting that out of it.

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

The DMD era’s advances weren’t really about the display. It’s an era where the designers and engineers honed their craft in brilliant and innovative new ways on the playfield, which also benefited from exciting new sound tech & rulesets. Aside from video modes, anything in the DMD era could have been done with an A/N display. When we talk about DMD era, it’s about the games, not the display. LCD is merely a score display replacement. There have been practically zero leaps in actual playfield or toy designs. Everything we’re playing in the “LCD era” could be done on a DMD game. There hasn’t been a design & function leap like there was from the 80’s to 90’s. There’s a reason DMD games are still played, loved, and in demand = the GAMES. The display is practically irrelevant to a good/bad pinball.

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The DMD eras advances weren’t really about the display. It’s an era where the designers and engineers honed their craft in brilliant and innovative new ways on the playfield, which also benefited from exciting new sound tech & rulesets. Aside from video modes, anything in the DMD era could have been done with an A/N display. When we talk about DMD era, it’s about the games, not the display. LCD is merely a score display replacement. There have been practically zero leaps in actual playfield or toy designs. Everything we’re playing in the “LCD era” could be done on a DMD game. There hasn’t been a design & function leap like there was from the 80’s to 90’s. There’s a reason DMD games are still played, loved, and in demand = the GAMES. The display is practically irrelevant to a good/bad pinball.

BOOOOOOM!

And for the record nobody complained about DMDs. THey looked great, were the perfect size, and were a notable upgrade from the alphanumerics that came before. All I remember hearing about them from players at the time was how cool they were.

As said above, LCDs are really just a facelift, not a dramatic improvement. It's arguable they are worse from a player perspective. And coders hate them.

#234 5 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

As they should have!
-mof

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Has no one noticed this on the Pro yet? A plastic of Deadpool in a hammock that swings back & forth instead of the disco ball. Cool idea. Pretty sure a plastic has never been used like that before.
[quoted image]

On C2C podcast, Gomez said all those Pro plastics come with the Prem/LE with mounting hardware if you want to use them. He wasn’t sure about mixing them with the molded figures - but included them if you wanna put them on. I’d use them - they’re fun!

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The DMD era’s advances weren’t really about the display. It’s an era where the designers and engineers honed their craft in brilliant and innovative new ways on the playfield, which also benefited from exciting new sound tech & rulesets. Aside from video modes, anything in the DMD era could have been done with an A/N display. When we talk about DMD era, it’s about the games, not the display. LCD is merely a score display replacement. There have been practically zero leaps in actual playfield or toy designs. Everything we’re playing in the “LCD era” could be done on a DMD game. There hasn’t been a design & function leap like there was from the 80’s to 90’s. There’s a reason DMD games are still played, loved, and in demand = the GAMES. The display is practically irrelevant to a good/bad pinball.

There are clear advantages of an LCD with games like maiden. Imo I do not believe that maiden would have been as good with a DMD given the amount of information available to the player without having to scroll through the menu. JJP games certainly would not be as good with a DMD.

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Their are clear advanatages of an LCD with games like maiden. Imo I do not believe that maiden would have been as good with a DMD given the amount of information available to the player without having to scroll through the menu. JJP games certainly would not be as good with a DMD.

I have Hobbit & love it - but the truth is I barely have a chance to look up and almost all the information on the LCD is also represented on the playfield. I know how many Dwarves I’ve collected by their inserts. I know if lock is lit or how many are collected by the inserts. I know how many beasts I’ve killed by their inserts.

That being said JJP’s display is huge & organized in a well composed manner. Stern’s information compositions are a bit sloppy & don’t really gel well with the size of the display. My girlfriend nailed it - she said they look like “90’s CD-ROM games”. I think Stern should try a different aesthetic than “diorama surrounded by small scores and icons”.

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

And that is one of the reasons Classic Sterns are so much fun to play and are way more popular in last few years it seems.

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

This is pinside dude, where do you get off having an opinion? lol

Its turtles all the way down. If one is allowed to have an opinion, others are allowed to have an opinion that said opinion is a bad opinion, but that's just my opinion.

#240 5 years ago

I agree Rarehero Maiden for instance has too many fonts, not enough contrast, too small of text, cookie-cutter placement. The animations are cool but the info is lacking in style.

Star Wars was same way, too small of text and often you'd have white text over a light background - don't they have an outline or stroke in their font renderer?

Dialed In display is awesome. They chose a style (TV news) and stuck with it. Everything stays on theme.

#241 5 years ago

Pinside: We demand creativity and innovation

giphy (resized).pnggiphy (resized).png

Also Pinside:
not-like-this-17824570 (resized).pngnot-like-this-17824570 (resized).png

#242 5 years ago

Can Stern build me a special version using the SAM system? It looks like a fun game.

Pro
Premium
LE
SAM

Yup, a forth version and you could get me.

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

Great Voice actor for Deadpool, he was used in the Video game. Actually in many games, most famously Nathan Drake in all the Uncharted games!

Wow, Nolan North in a pinball game! Awesome. He is a hilarious person, and a studious, knockout-great voice actor.

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Except for multimorphic which I feel doesn't get mentioned too much.

#249 5 years ago

For those of you wondering what a Nolan North Deadpool sounds like...

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

Except for multimorphic which I feel doesn't get mentioned too much.

Gotta be becasue it's the least available/experienced display.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
There are 1,380 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-so-many-booms/page/5?hl=melhadmj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.