oil-oil-filter-and-gear-oil-kit-[2]-63425-p (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
20180906_172732 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
Screenshot 2018-09-06 at 9.04.03 AM (resized).png
2F0B6267-FD1C-41FA-B2FB-71C9C08CE279.jpeg
0687750E-FB4F-47A6-9DF6-F0467479EF52.jpeg
C530FB9F-6E63-42B5-9F40-663D363AD6B4.jpeg
There are 1,380 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 28.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from racer_x:

Yeah, I mean... what would Aurich know about pin art?

I don't think Aurich was involved in the LCD video aspect of Alien FWIW. Apologies if I'm incorrect.

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Hold on. Let's be clear here. Those graphics are more 16-bit based (think Sega Genesis) than 8-bit (think NES). They look outstanding for what they are. Look at the 16-bit detail on Juggernaut. That's more Moratl Kombat, less Excitebike. Just being clear.
It obviously was a design choice to go that route, since the feature matrix says "video graphics celebrate the style of classic fighting games". You're collecting team-ups & fighting enemies on the LCD like a 90s fighting game. HD Deadpool breaks through the screen to 4th wall you. Sounds like a well executed LCD design for this theme, and propbably the best Stern LCD implementation to date.
Mountains out of molehills...

+1000

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Well I hope the end result is amazing. In this very limited early video the animation does not look good. This quality level is probably good enough for most pin heads. Just for me personally, I have spent a most of my life making video games and I set the bar a little higher.

So the video game pro thinks it looks lame and everybody else likes it.

This is pinball, not video games. This is a pinball crowd, not a video game crowd.

#154 5 years ago

Guys its an opinion, why is it always so protect the hive, someone kicked my dog. I agree its a great looking pin, For me personally the animation and art style of the LCD looks cheap and I would have preferred more.

I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to like both (Video Games and Pins). Didn't know that we are not allowed to want high end graphics on the display.

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to like both.

This is pinside dude, where do you get off having an opinion? lol

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Guys its an opinion, why is it always so protect the hive, someone kicked my dog. I agree its a great looking pin, For me personally the animation and art style of the LCD looks cheap and I would have preferred more.
I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to like both (Video Games and Pins). Didn't know that we are not allowed to want high end graphics on the display.

You are allowed to do whatever you want, but this is a pinball game not a video game so not sure if your design credentials are supposed to give your opinion extra weight. This isn't the first time you've pulled this card.

#157 5 years ago

I love 16 bits design... great choice for me

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

This is pinside dude, where do you get off having an opinion? lol

Opinions are fine, as long as they're the right ones...

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It's fine to not like it or have an opinion, but this is a definitive statement of fact:

" I can assure you this style is much cheaper to implement. The idea that it takes more time or costs more is laughable. It has a serious cost savings"

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from racer_x:

It's fine to not like it or have an opinion, but this is a definitive statement of fact:
" I can assure you this style is much cheaper to implement. The idea that it takes more time or costs more is laughable. It has a serious cost savings"

It is a fact. Convenient that you left the rest of that quote out.

#161 5 years ago

Just speculation, but I imagine the 16 bit fight scenes are only shown during modes with battles against that particular character.

You have to keep in mind, the bulk of Stern's demographics, disposable income late 30 to late 40 somethings, have fond memories of fighting games. It is an attempt, a successful one in my opinion, to draw on that nostalgia. It is pinball. Nostalgia is driving this whole industry.

There will be plenty of high res. I am pretty doubtful that Gary Stern will allow an asset such as a high res screen to be solely limited to Sega genesis style game clips. I love em though.

P.S. That art. Wow.

#162 5 years ago

Once again, hold on. The point here is that they are implementing a fighting game on the LCD while you are playing pinball & making shots. Forget the 16-bit style for a moment. The concept is outstanding. You're teaming up with other characters, you have weapons to use in battle (ninja stars, chimmichangas, guns) and I suppose this is the mode structure for the entire game. Fight your way to the final wizard boss, with multiballs & jackpots along the way. Fricking awesome! Great concept!

This is not the same old recycled movie clips on repeat on the LCD (SW, GOTG). This is not a cartoon band standing there singing/playing over & over (AS). This looks like something new & directly tied to gameplay on the playfield.

What's not to like? The style of the LCD graphics? Give me a break

#163 5 years ago

I didn't think there'd be so much hate over the 16-bit graphics. I think they look fantastic, and I believe it's a solid art direction. I guess they could've gone with a flip frame comic book style art direction, which probably would've been a better choice, BUT 16-bit style graphics will age gracefully, and it won't date the game as much moving forward.

Also, anyone else notice the pixel art Stern Seawitch in the arcade? Nice easter egg!

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 3.04.56 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-08-07 at 3.04.56 PM (resized).png

#164 5 years ago

IN on the drama and finding out why this is the best pin ever AND the worst pin ever before anyone has even seen it played!

Oh and maybe I'll buy it also...........once I see a little more and can form my own opinion

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Oh and maybe I'll buy it also...........once I see a little more and can form my own opinion

There's no call for this kind of statement this early in the reveal process. Yellow Card!

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It is a fact. Convenient that you left the rest of that quote out.

Aurich - another know it all who is "in the business" - says you are wrong, and Stern saves no money by going Turbo-Graffix 16.

So who are we supposed to believe, the guy who we all know was directly involved in (granted a disastrous) pinball machine development, or some rando who is always telling us he's an expert?

Either way, it's clearly a BOOOOOOM!

Aren't people paying an additional $300 so they can get their WPC remakes with 16-bit graffix? And here is Stern, just giving it away for free!! What a bunch of great guys, and in no way evil!

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

There's no call for this kind of statement this early in the reveal process. Yellow Card!

You're right, I'm out on this piece of garbage and this thing is definitely Stern's best pinball EVER!

#168 5 years ago

very busy but I love it! Disco ball made me laugh and really want to see it in action..

little worried from the backboard this is going to be avengers 2.0 but really want to play it.

The other best news (other than the art) is that it has is the voice actor is nathan drake from uncharted, those are the only games I still play and he is great in them!

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I didn't think there'd be so much hate over the 16-bit graphics. I think they look fantastic, and I believe it's a solid art direction.

Agreed. I will be thrilled if they fully animate the entire game in this style with the occasional hi rez breaking of the 4th wall, as opposed to the moving stills of SMVE.

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I say A+ for spinners, I get shit on. I say damn no spinners....I get shit on. I just can't win.

Levi is saying no need to mention the subject at all

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

This is my first time to see the playfield and artwork. Looks pretty good from what I can see!

Yes, playfield full. Looking good.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Hold on. Let's be clear here. Those graphics are more 16-bit based (think Sega Genesis) than 8-bit (think NES). They look outstanding for what they are. Look at the 16-bit detail on Juggernaut. That's more Mortal Kombat, less Excitebike. Just being clear.
It obviously was a design choice to go that route, since the feature matrix says "video graphics celebrate the style of classic fighting games". You're collecting team-ups & fighting enemies on the LCD like a 90s fighting game, probably by making your lit shots on the playfield. HD Deadpool breaks through the screen to 4th wall you. Sounds like a well executed LCD design for this theme, and probably the best Stern LCD implementation to date. Looks sweet to me.
[quoted image]

Frikin love 16-bit arcade graphics. Nice design idea , reminds me of Konami art and graphics from early 90s, side scrolling beat em ups, TMNT, Sunset Riders etc

#173 5 years ago

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I haven't been on here in a while, but last time I was there were so many assholes bashing anyone and everyone who was saying that Deadpool was coming out. So many self-important dicks who were clearly WRONG!

Very excited to get my fingers on Deadpool's flippers!

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from _KIRK_:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
I haven't been on here in a while, but last time I was there were so many assholes bashing anyone and everyone who was saying that Deadpool was coming out. So many self-important dicks who were clearly WRONG!

I like where you are going with this. Please expand upon it!

#175 5 years ago

I'm in for an LE. Looks fantastic. Can't wait to see more. Bouncing the ball off of the snkkt target and up that ramp is going to kick ass.

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Well I've been in gaming for a long time and I can assure you this style is much cheaper to implement. The idea that it takes more time or costs more is laughable. It has a serious cost savings, I have no idea if Stern made the decision based on this but it most certainly is a factor.

What does "been in gaming for a long time" mean? Please explain. Because I'm speaking from having designed high rez pinball graphics, your assurance isn't really worth anything to me vs my direct experience with it. Pixel art would have been way more time consuming than what Stern did for Guardians of the Galaxy for example. It's not a serious cost savings, no.

#177 5 years ago

This may have some Avengers 2.0 tinge to it as mentioned earlier. I also see some potential for Xmen 2.0 in regards to voices and rules.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

This may have some Avengers 2.0 tinge to it as mentioned earlier. I also see some potential for Xmen 2.0 in regards to voices and rules.

thats what I was thinking too except the voice actor is nathan drake so at least the call outs should be good!

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I like where you are going with this. Please expand upon it!

There were whole speculation threads where people were being bashed for saying that this was coming out. One member even had photos he took at Stern that other members were calling fake. I followed them because I was hoping it was true and had no input either way. I just love when self-important assholes are publicly proven wrong.

#180 5 years ago

Based on just the artwork, I am impressed. I hope I don't have to wait until the next Golden State Pinball Festival to play one.

#181 5 years ago

What's the saying about boats? It's a hole in the water you throw money into?

That's what LCD's are for pinball. Giant resource sucking traps. Has nothing to do with gameplay. But must be filled with SOMETHING because it's there.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I think one important thing for fans is that all the shots are at a similar distance. This has some shots way in the back and that loop around, etc.

Thank makes sense, thank you.

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from _KIRK_:

There were whole speculation threads where people were being bashed for saying that this was coming out. One member even had photos he took at Stern that other members were calling fake. I followed them because I was hoping it was true and had no input either way. I just love when self-important assholes are publicly proven wrong.

Look dude, I'm sorry, if you want to have your "I told you so!" cake, you gotta do some homework and cite specific examples. Or else we'll just have people BWHWAHAHAHAHAing left and right without any evidence, and that's bad for all of us. Put in a little effort here, guy!

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Look dude, I'm sorry, if you want to have your "I told you so!" cake, you gotta do some homework and cite specific examples. Or else we'll just have people BWHWAHAHAHAHAing left and right without any evidence, and that's bad for all of us.

Yeah. I thought everyone knew this game was coming for about a year.

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Hold on. Let's be clear here. Those graphics are more 16-bit based (think Sega Genesis) than 8-bit (think NES). They look outstanding for what they are. Look at the 16-bit detail on Juggernaut. That's more Mortal Kombat, less Excitebike. Just being clear.
It obviously was a design choice to go that route, since the feature matrix says "video graphics celebrate the style of classic fighting games". You're collecting team-ups & fighting enemies on the LCD like a 90s fighting game, probably by making your lit shots on the playfield. HD Deadpool breaks through the screen to 4th wall you. Sounds like a well executed LCD design for this theme, and probably the best Stern LCD implementation to date. Looks sweet to me.
[quoted image]

I love pixel art, and to me pinball is retro - so using retro styled art is A-OK in my book. My problem with what I've seen so far is how they're approaching composition on their screen...and this is a problem I think they've had since they've moved to LCD. Due to Stern's LCD size and aspect ratio, it's hard to know where my eye is supposed to go when looking at the screen. The "big wide open room with a few full bodied characters in profile" isn't really what I want to see on a pinball display. It reminds me of the sidescrolling scenes in Star Trek & Ghostbusters. They just don't "feel pinball". I'd rather see the important elements like the score and icons BIGGER and take up a decent strip of the screen...and the character graphics be more like comic book panels or closer up like the example image below. They seem to be going for more of a "diorama" approach (like Aerosmith) rather than coming up with interesting compositions that work for clear information & entertainment.

54639-X-Men_Vs_Street_Fighter_(J)-1 (resized).jpg54639-X-Men_Vs_Street_Fighter_(J)-1 (resized).jpg
#186 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

What's the saying about boats? It's a hole in the water you throw money into?
That's what LCD's are for pinball. Giant resource sucking traps. Has nothing to do with gameplay. But must be filled with SOMETHING because it's there.

Yep, seems like pretty much the worst thing to happen to pinball developers. We really should have just stuck with DMD and moved to color - they look great, are the perfect size, and aren't a black hole for resources.

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Based on just the artwork, I am impressed. I hope I don't have to wait until the next Golden State Pinball Festival to play one.

I expect good artwork doesn't cost much more than bad artwork. Glad to see Zombie Yeti on board.

I'm impressed with the features they are throwing into the pro. Do you remember when we were begging for a spinner?

Three drops, metal ramps, metal habitrails, mechanical lock, LCD...and a spinner!

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Look dude, I'm sorry, if you want to have your "I told you so!" cake, you gotta do some homework and cite specific examples. Or else we'll just have people BWHWAHAHAHAHAing left and right without any evidence, and that's bad for all of us. Put in a little effort here, guy!

OK, Internet cool "guy". Just making a comment and observation. I'm not going to do a bunch of homework just to justify anything to you. Don't like a comment, move to the next.

#189 5 years ago

There was some Pinsider....named Waaky I think....who was vehemently denying that Deadpool was being made because he "asked Stern" and they said "No".

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I expect good artwork doesn't cost much more than bad artwork. Glad to see Zombie Yeti on board.
I'm impressed with the features they are throwing into the pro. Do you remember when we were begging for a spinner?
Three drops, metal ramps, metal habitrails, mechanical lock, LCD...and a spinner!

2 spinners actually. One for Wolverine & one for Dazzler

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What does "been in gaming for a long time" mean? Please explain. Because I'm speaking from having designed high rez pinball graphics, your assurance isn't really worth anything to me vs my direct experience with it. Pixel art would have been way more time consuming than what Stern did for Guardians of the Galaxy for example. It's not a serious cost savings, no.

I'm not going to post my resume on Pinside. I'm high level SE at one of the biggest gaming studios in the world, working on the biggest game we make. I confident in my ability to estimate the cost of different implementations. I fully concede I don't know anything about Stern's process or decision making. Stern very well may have went this direction purely for aesthetics.

If the art looked like the post above me I would be down. Its blurry and pixelated, its nowhere near that crisp or sharp.

#192 5 years ago

I'm happy with the LCD. Going from a Premium game with a DMD to a Pro with a LCD felt like an upgrade to me.

Kids like it better too.

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

There was some Pinsider....named Waaky I think....who was vehemently denying that Deadpool was being made because he "asked Stern" and they said "No".

Yes and he's just a troll, like overly obvious, but peopel get their panties in a twist aboot him and oh boy they really showed him now!

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballkim:

Rare, you get a thumbs up for bringing up voice acting and not citing Beast on X-men, well done.

LOL it was implied. X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman Vault, and GOTG have all used the same horrible group of "Marvel Approved" voices. Every so often, they have a decent voice in there. For example in Avengers, Hulk, Loki, and Thor sound pretty good...but Ironman, Cap, and Black Widow suck. They all suck in GOTG, although part of that is due to them reading off long ass monologues that have no place in a pinball machine. So - we know we have a good Deadpool...but here's hoping the other characters are good and funny as well.

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I'm not going to post my resume on Pinside. I'm high level SE at one of the biggest gaming studios in the world, ...

For fuck sakes...come back when you disigned the art package for a tepidly received pinball sir!

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yep, seems like pretty much the worst thing to happen to pinball developers. We really should have just stuck with DMD and moved to color - they look great, are the perfect size, and aren't a black hole for resources.

I complete agree with this, they gave me an LCD and I now I want modern graphics. I love me some ColorDMD, its perfect for pinball.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I'm not going to post my resume on Pinside. I'm high level SE at one of the biggest gaming studios in the world, working on the biggest game we make. I confident in my ability to estimate the cost of different implementations. I fully concede I don't know anything about Stern's process or decision making. Stern very well may have went this direction purely for aesthetics.
If the art looked like the post above me I would be down. Its blurry and pixelated, its nowhere near that crisp or sharp.

What is a SE?

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What is a SE?

Special Edition

#199 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What is a SE?

Software engineer?

EDIT: Goddamn i DO love new releases though. Get's everyone pissed off and makes fro great posting.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Over here the difference is £2,200, which works out to $2,850...

Could be even higher if trade war crap does not change

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Area, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop

€ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
DEAD POOL (PRO) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
There are 1,380 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-so-many-booms/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.