Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinMonk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

So the snikt shot on my Deadpool works 25% of the time or less. The switches all seem to work but when I make the shot I rarely get the playfield multiplier.

Here's a little video. I did a switch test and again the switches seem to trigger so I'm confused as to what the next move is.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#2 3 years ago

Fix the title. I came here looking for a fix lmao

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from gecko157:

Fix the title. I came here looking for a fix lmao

Oops. Title fixed. Snikt still not working.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from coop:

Oops. Title fixed. Snikt still not working.

Haha it’s ok. Hopefully someone has a fix for you.

#5 3 years ago

Tried it on mine and you have to trigger opto faster after snikt target for it to work. Try it with other hand ready to trigger opto immediately after you trigger target.

#6 3 years ago

Timing of triggering the switches seemed fine.

Make sure there’s no other switch closure elsewhere in the game in switch menu. If the pop bumper switch, for example, is always closed it won’t award a Snikt.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Timing of triggering the switches seemed fine.
Make sure there’s no other switch closure elsewhere in the game in switch menu. If the pop bumper switch, for example, is always closed it won’t award a Snikt.

I did a switch test. I've never had a modern Stern and this game is on loan but this left sling seems weird. maybe it's doing what Eskaybee was talking about? Any idea what I can do to make the sling register as it should?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from coop:

I did a switch test. I've never had a modern Stern and this game is on loan but this left sling seems weird. maybe it's doing what eskaybee was talking about? Any idea what I can do to make the sling register as it should?

There’s 2 leaf switches at each sling. Each leaf switch has 2 metal prongs, if they are touching each other that is probably your problem. Try to gap them out just slightly. Pinball life sells a leaf switch adjusting tool, it’s awesome.

#9 3 years ago

Well, I opened up the sling and started playing around with the switches. The switch adjustment tool from PinballLife is on order but I thought I'd just try to take a look at it to see what the problem is. I honestly don't see anything weird. I made a quick video. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

#10 3 years ago

Check the switch gap on the left flipper, it might trigger from vibration from the left sling but not from the right sling since it is further away from it.

1 week later
#11 3 years ago

I know at this point I'm being boring but I just can't figure out what the issue could be. I have a few older games from the 70s and 80s and it's usually pretty obvious when something is broken. This game looks new and totally fine for me. I don't see any weird problems with the switches but again I've never had a new game like this. In this video, you can see the switches. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from coop:

I know at this point I'm being boring but I just can't figure out what the issue could be. I have a few older games from the 70s and 80s and it's usually pretty obvious when something is broken. This game looks new and totally fine for me. I don't see any weird problems with the switches but again I've never had a new game like this. In this video, you can see the switches. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Are the wires or metal touching together where the wires are soldiered to the left EOS switch? If not, follow the wires from the left EOS switch backwards to see if something is shorting out or has a bad connection.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from coop:

You're looking in the wrong place. That's not the Left Flipper EOS that's the left flipper BUTTON switch. Look by the flipper coils under the playfield. There's a switch next to each one, that's the End of Stroke (EOS) switch that tells the machine when the flipper is all the way up. Sounds like it's lying and needs to be adjusted.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from coop:

The video you posted is of the flipper cabinet switch. That is not the EOS switch. The EOs switch is on the flipper mech itself underneath the playfield. That switch is normally closed. When you press the flipper button in test mode you should hear a beep for when the cabinet switch closes, then another beep when you let go and the eos switch closes again.

#15 3 years ago

Start a game and simply press the snikt and put the ball on the ramp. Does it give you a PF x every time doing that?

If so then your issue is probably the flippers causing another switch to register from vibration.

When you put the slings back together make sure the switch contacts are gapped extra wide. Then play with the glass off and try to hit the snikt from the flippers and see if you can consistently get it.

What could be happening too is your snikt target isn’t sensitive enough so certain shots that are hitting off the target and going up the ramp aren’t actually registering that switch.

2 weeks later
#16 3 years ago

Ok, I finally opened the game back up to see what was happening and this is clearly in EOS issue yet... I don't see anything wrong with the EOS. I'm not sure why during a switch test that I can fire off not just the Snikt target but also a slingshot yet the readout on the switch test display will read Left Flipper EOS.

I see now that I don't have an issue with the Snikt target, something is fishy with the left EOS.

Please let me know what you think!

#17 3 years ago

Take an alligator clip and pinch the left eos switch shut during switch test. Then do your sling firing. See if that changes anything.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from coop:

Ok, I finally opened the game back up to see what was happening and this is clearly in EOS issue yet... I don't see anything wrong with the EOS. I'm not sure why during a switch test that I can fire off not just the Snikt target but also a slingshot yet the readout on the switch test display will read Left Flipper EOS.
I see now that I don't have an issue with the Snikt target, something is fishy with the left EOS.
Please let me know what you think!

First things first. Did you find the actual Left EOS switch location under the playfield? Picture?

#19 3 years ago

SOLVED:

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Take an alligator clip and pinch the left eos switch shut during switch test. Then do your sling firing. See if that changes anything.

I tried with a clip and, yes, it worked. I started to understand then what was happening—the illusion that solid contact was being made by that switch. After a very quick and simple adjustment to add pressure to the contacts when in the closed position I find that everything now works perfectly.

The case of the broken Snikt shot is solved!

Thanks, chuckwurt and thanks to everyone who patiently baby stepped me through this one.

Coop

#20 3 years ago

No worries man. I’ve had this EXACT same issue before on a different era of game. But experience and help from people on here has taught me to never trust your eyes when testing switches. Always best to use a meter or jumper it shut to be sure.

1 month later
#21 3 years ago

The saga continines. it seems like the "fix" I had by fixing the flipper EOS was helpful but the opto on the snikt only works intermitantly and I can seem to figure out why that is. Here's a video.

The opto light goes on and off yet during the switch test is does not show on the LCD.

Any ideas? Is it just a bad opto?

#22 3 years ago

Follow the wires back to the connector under the playfield for that opto and see if any wires are loose. Re-seat the connector and see if that helps. Also, when testing switches, use the ball, not your finger.

Could be that the opto is bad and needs replaced though.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Follow the wires back to the connector under the playfield for that opto and see if any wires are loose. Re-seat the connector and see if that helps.

I did all this before I posted and it's still and issue. The thing is it's randomly intermittent. It won't work for days then suddenly I hit the shot and it works. The last time it worked, I stopped and turned the game off and back on again; started a new game and hit the shot and the damn thing didn't work again. I feel like this might be software related. Maybe? I mean it just doesn't make sense. It works. You reboot without shaking the machine or anything and then for no reason it doesn't work... until it feels like working again a couple days later.

Does this behavior ring any bells with anyone? It's maddening.

#24 3 years ago

Make sure the optos are centered in their holes in the ramp. Make sure there’s no debris in the holes. Reflow the solder on the wires on the optos.

Call stern and get replacement optos if none of that works.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from coop:

I feel like this might be software related.

Can’t be, or else everyone would have the issue.

#26 3 years ago

EDIT: OK I just cleaned both the emitter and receiver with a q-tip and things seem to work. Was it that simple the entire time? I'm telling you this game has been on location for a few years and it has been notorious for having a glitchy Snikt shot. Maybe it's been dirty for years? Maybe it'll break tomorrow again? Who knows lol

Here's a video of the madness. I just don't understand how the optos could be out of alignment or have bad solder joints but still work one minute and then after a reboot with the game—totally still—it won't work after a reboot. You would think if I start wiggling things it might help to see where the connection is bad but literally nothing changes. It just seems weird so I had to make a video to show you guys so you don't think I'm nuts. It's haunted!

2 years later
#27 1 year ago

coop - my deadpool is doing the exact same thing. what did you end up doing to fix it?

cheers
jas

#28 1 year ago

Me too - I have people complaining about this with a game on location and am wondering if a fix has been definitively found?

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Me too - I have people complaining about this with a game on location and am wondering if a fix has been definitively found?

It could be a number of issues, so there's no one fix. Did you check the opto at the top of the ramp for the shot? It's #45 in the manual. Does the opto work when you interrupt it manually? If not, is the opto aligned? If it is, check the wiring that comes down off the board for the opto. Where it bends it can break inside the insulation. Cut that back to get past the bend and resolder and see if that fixes it.

Also the Snikit target itself - is it standing up? Does it register when you tap it in switch test? Does it have an anti-lean bracket already on?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.95
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 37.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lucxor

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-snikt-shot-now-working?hl=bundy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.