Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210103_162520 (resized).jpg
20210103_161909 (resized).jpg
20210103_160532 (resized).jpg
20210103_160011 (resized).jpg

#1 9 months ago

Please do this at your own risk, I will not be responsible for your mistakes or mishaps.

Id like to say thank you to Lermods for creating a very nice disco ball mod for our Pro models.

I think the latest code update made the disco insert flash instead of stay on solid causing spot and ball to pulse.

I spent the last few days pondering a solution.

What I came up with is a simple 1 solder joint and moving the photo sensor.

I started by opening up the black box, on the back of the larger board there is a black wire that goes to smaller 5v step down board.
This black wire needs to be moved from the far right terminal (1st pic) to the far left (2nd pic).
This essentially reverses the operation of the relays allowing disco mod to turn on when photo sensor sees no light.
Last step was to access bulb socket #154 under left katana ramp (at playfield level below the hammock). The sensor needs to be near that bulb.
I tapped it on to test but now have sensor just pinched between socket and the playfield up under left katana ramp
When disco multiball starts this bulb goes out triggering black box to turn on spot and disco ball.

There is one small issue right now where the disco insert blinks and reflects causing the ball and spot to blink.

I have ordered some #44 bulbs with a tap for another bulb.
Plan is to route those tap wires down below playfield and encase another led bulb with photo sensor in heatshrink to isolate the sensor.
This will fix the blinking from disco insert.

I will update photos and info when those parts are in.

Note that whenever Game is on and that GI bulb is out this mod is powered and will iluminate and spin.
Might not be what you want but its a quick fix.

20210103_160011 (resized).jpg20210103_160532 (resized).jpg20210103_161909 (resized).jpg20210103_162520 (resized).jpg

#2 9 months ago

Thank you for posting this! I’m gonna give it a try. What happens in attract mode? That’s probably what annoys me the most about the way it is now. The ball spins for a quick second, every few seconds.
Also, I feel like the ball doesn’t shine out far enough onto the playfield. I was thinking about maybe moving the spot to another location where it is further away from the ball...just not sure where that might be. I am guessing the spot has to be fairly close for the mirrors to reflect enough light to be effective.

#3 9 months ago

Anytime that GI light under the ramp is out the ball will light up and spin.
In attract mode i think that lamp is always on so ball is dead.

some modes when you finish or hit a jackpot shot the gi goes out for a split second so ball turns on, i like it as a quick visual on a completed/registerd shot.

I also plan to adjust spot and see if I can get a better reflection.

That will be the weekend project.

4 months later
#4 5 months ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

Anytime that GI light under the ramp is out the ball will light up and spin.
In attract mode i think that lamp is always on so ball is dead.
some modes when you finish or hit a jackpot shot the gi goes out for a split second so ball turns on, i like it as a quick visual on a completed/registerd shot.
I also plan to adjust spot and see if I can get a better reflection.
That will be the weekend project.

Thanks for posting this, I got this mod and to say I am disappointed in it is an understatement. I'm going to try your fix and see if I at least like it a little bit better. Can you show how you attached the new bulb leads from the tapped GI bulb?

2 weeks later
#5 4 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Thanks for posting this, I got this mod and to say I am disappointed in it is an understatement. I'm going to try your fix and see if I at least like it a little bit better. Can you show how you attached the new bulb leads from the tapped GI bulb?

I just saw this I'm sorry. Last picture is how my game still is for sensor to gi bulb. I'll do a better final install next time I have PF up but no idea when that will be.

2 months later
#6 77 days ago

Any update on this? I was trying to decide if I was going to purchase the Lermods or Hooked on Pinball version of the disco ball mod. Both look cool, but unfortunately not close to the disco ball on the premium. Also any one know anything about the disco ball mod by yoyokopter?

#7 74 days ago
Quoted from SirMachismo:

Any update on this? I was trying to decide if I was going to purchase the Lermods or Hooked on Pinball version of the disco ball mod. Both look cool, but unfortunately not close to the disco ball on the premium. Also any one know anything about the disco ball mod by yoyokopter?

My recommendation is to just pass. You shouldn't have to reverse engineer a mod to get it to work right. Another option is turning the potentiometer so it is less sensitive but I haven't tried that on mine yet. Tbh I don't have high hopes. Honestly the effect is not that good anyway. I have not tried HOP or yoyokopter so I'm not sure if they would be any better or not.

#8 74 days ago
Quoted from SirMachismo:

This has been one of our most popular mods and feedback has been extremely positive even on the new code. As noted, there is a potentiometer inside the black box that can reduce the sensitivity to light, but there are two other options. One is to hook the light sensor to a GI bulb so that it spins whenever the GI light is lit, which is most of the time. The other option is to use a different relay board that has a time delay, this will keep the ball spinning when the insert is flashing for up to 5 seconds at a time. We have not used this time delay board for this mod as there has been no negative feedback outside of this thread to warrant a change, but if someone was not happy we would ask they return the version they have and we will replace it with the time delay board at no additional charge (just cover shipping).

#9 74 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

This has been one of our most popular mods and feedback has been extremely positive even on the new code. As noted, there is a potentiometer inside the black box that can reduce the sensitivity to light, but there are two other options. One is to hook the light sensor to a GI bulb so that it spins whenever the GI light is lit, which is most of the time. The other option is to use a different relay board that has a time delay, this will keep the ball spinning when the insert is flashing for up to 5 seconds at a time. We have not used this time delay board for this mod as there has been no negative feedback outside of this thread to warrant a change, but if someone was not happy we would ask they return the version they have and we will replace it with the time delay board at no additional charge (just cover shipping).

Bro, I'm trying so hard not to be a jerk about this but how are you going to look a person in the eye and tell them this is fine? I know we've had PM's about this that I'm not trying to drag into the public eye but I am more than happy to make a thread to find out if this is satisfactory to people. I'm not trying to drag you or your company as I have stated numerous times, I believe you are a good guy and your mods are generally of good quality, but this is a problem with this mod in particular and to keep pretending that it isn't is VERY concerning. Not even so much as a warning before purchasing, and every time I mention it you send me a PM or clutch your pearls?

Here is a video of the mod in action with current code. You're really gonna sit here and pretend people are OK with this? You're gonna sit here and pretend YOU'RE OK with this? Come on man.

Please, if anyone thinks I am wrong and this, in its current state, is satisfactory, please correct me here and now.

#10 74 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Bro, I'm trying so hard not to be a jerk about this but how are you going to look a person in the eye and tell them this is fine? I know we've had PM's about this that I'm not trying to drag into the public eye but I am more than happy to make a thread to find out if this is satisfactory to people. I'm not trying to drag you or your company as I have stated numerous times, I believe you are a good guy and your mods are generally of good quality, but this is a problem with this mod in particular and to keep pretending that it isn't is VERY concerning. Not even so much as a warning before purchasing, and every time I mention it you send me a PM or clutch your pearls?
Here is a video of the mod in action with current code. You're really gonna sit here and pretend people are OK with this? You're gonna sit here and pretend YOU'RE OK with this? Come on man.
Please, if anyone thinks I am wrong and this, in its current state, is satisfactory, please correct me here and now.

Okay. So yes... that video sucks. Lol. Is there not a way you can use a capacitor on this to store up the electricity to avoid the flashing from making it look like this? Because this sucks, but being always on sucks, too.

Also, if I may be so bold, who else "loves this" with the new code? It really sucks spinning 1/20th a revolution every half second.

#11 74 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I previously sent you a pm with two solutions, one you just admitted you didn’t even bother to try and the other you didn’t even respond to. I even offered you a full refund that you didn’t want to bother with. yet, every chance you get, you slam the mod. I’m not sure what else I can do here, but I am at least trying to provide constructive options for you. We are super responsive when customers have issues and ALWAYS try to correct them and make things right, just like we did for you.

Start a thread, I don’t really care, but I’m being totally honest when I say we have not received negative feedback on this mod. We would not be selling it if we did as we’d get many returns. I don’t have the game any more nor access to one so I can’t try to duplicate your action. Again, try adjusting with the potentiometer inside the black box, which reduces the sensitivity to light. I also have a different relay board that can be used.

#12 73 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I previously sent you a pm with two solutions, one you just admitted you didn’t even bother to try and the other you didn’t even respond to. I even offered you a full refund that you didn’t want to bother with. yet, every chance you get, you slam the mod. I’m not sure what else I can do here, but I am at least trying to provide constructive options for you. We are super responsive when customers have issues and ALWAYS try to correct them and make things right, just like we did for you.
Start a thread, I don’t really care, but I’m being totally honest when I say we have not received negative feedback on this mod. We would not be selling it if we did as we’d get many returns. I don’t have the game any more nor access to one so I can’t try to duplicate your action. Again, try adjusting with the potentiometer inside the black box, which reduces the sensitivity to light. I also have a different relay board that can be used.

I explained why I didn't take the refund. All I want you to do is admit theres a problem with your product and warn people lol

#13 73 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I’m being totally honest when I say we have not received negative feedback on this mod.

With all due respect, you are getting it right now. I think the software changed, making this mod radically different than originally intended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside