Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 357 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by king-pin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

03212017heavensgatebody01 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180806_134152639_HDR (resized).jpg
    adm (resized).jpg
    9a2c458cd575462ce25f07ab26f5b0a0bd9d4c48 (resized).jpg
    ef01dcef26394898df3c577424ea257f6239c6d0 (resized).jpg
    11f396c4f32ccc1d72fa2a8546d76fca428841c5 (resized).jpg
    87770978_XS (resized).jpg
    12233207-corn-field-corn-on-the-cob (resized).jpg
    fathom_close1 (resized).jpg
    TEtmVwp (resized).jpg
    fathom1 (resized).jpg
    1110182140b (resized).jpg
    1110182141a (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    xenon-dimples (resized).jpg
    orbitor1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kozmckpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#106 5 years ago

Just MHO but if the playfield is dimpled, doesn't that mean the clear coat is inherently dimpled? The wood cannot be affected without going thru the clear coat, is what I am stating. So the clear coat has to be part of the issue, if not all of it. Maybe more recent pins have thicker clear coat or I guess, thinner clear coat if the wood is being impacted. I am not sure it is a wood issue entirely.

It's kind of like the arguments about why in MLB, there are so many more home runs than in the past. Could be the balls changed, could be the bats changed, could be the players changed. Could be the speed of balls being pitched has increased. With pins, air balls are definitely a part of the problem, so what causes them? In MMR, the troll popups sometimes happen when a ball is passing overhead and the glass gets smashed, with a long drop to the playfield. Having the Mantis castle protector contributes to airballs on castle strikes. In general though, maybe certain manufacturers have flipper setups that have stronger coils. Who knows?

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Most HUO games will NEVER even get 10,000 plays, let alone the zillions of plays it takes to smooth them out.
    I service people's games all the time and I always laugh how few plays they have on them.
    One customer, who is the nicest guy in the world, only has a TRON and a TFLE, both that "he plays all the time" and last time I checked he had 500 plays on one of them and 350 on the other.
    He has every available mod installed on both games, but he must spend more time decorating them than playing them.
    Both his playfields will be cratered like the moon for his entire life.

"I service people's games all the time and I always laugh how few plays they have on them..So the luithers get tired of the same nonsense being posted every week." I guess you could include your number of plays conclusion that the guy is a pinball poser in the same category when everyone knows the number of plays can be easily reset. Maybe he does play the pins all the time and just recently reset the settings.

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from moto_cat:

Highly unlikely if he’s paying someone to service his games..

"I service people's games all the time and I always laugh how few plays they have on them". Well if the guy reads Pinside he's probably laughing back, knowing that he reset the number of plays to fool with you.

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I certainly believe that dimples are normal, and I believe in the infinite dimples=smooth playfield concept. However, I had one game that I think was an exception. Amazing condition. I wish I had more definitive pictures... I heard it was something about the way Sonic coated their play fields. Apparently they used some toxic chemicals that are no longer allowed. Can anyone confirm?
    [quoted image]

I am not an expert but my NBAFB is not dimpled like Stern machines are. I think that stern is using more clear coat and it is dimpling differently, but that's just a guess on my part. Interesting subject, well covered already though in the forums.

#174 5 years ago

Imron 2 component hardcoat- Diamondplate

http://www.flippers.be/pinball_playfields.html

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Ah shit. Looks like American Pinball needs to close up shop too!
    [quoted image]

Houdini has acne!

#179 5 years ago

Interesting article. Pat Lawlor first pursued automotive clear as a playfield coat and afterward felt it was a mistake because pins were not as disposable and replaceable by operators because the playfields lasted a long time, hurting sales at Williams (and Gottlieb too), and ultimately contributing to the demise of pinball in the late '90s.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/62638-13-when-williams-start-clearcoat

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kozmckpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpeel?tu=kozmckpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.