Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 357 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by king-pin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

03212017heavensgatebody01 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180806_134152639_HDR (resized).jpg
    adm (resized).jpg
    9a2c458cd575462ce25f07ab26f5b0a0bd9d4c48 (resized).jpg
    ef01dcef26394898df3c577424ea257f6239c6d0 (resized).jpg
    11f396c4f32ccc1d72fa2a8546d76fca428841c5 (resized).jpg
    87770978_XS (resized).jpg
    12233207-corn-field-corn-on-the-cob (resized).jpg
    fathom_close1 (resized).jpg
    TEtmVwp (resized).jpg
    fathom1 (resized).jpg
    1110182140b (resized).jpg
    1110182141a (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    xenon-dimples (resized).jpg
    orbitor1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Marcdaddy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#286 5 years ago

This is a great explanation!

Quoted from vid1900:

First get the word "problem" out of your head, so you can think clearly.
    There is no problem.
    Anyone that operated games back in the day, will tell you that all new games dimple.
    It's only the nubies that believe a piece of wood is going to be harder than a piece of steel because someone sprayed a .004" coating of urethane on it.

EVERYTHING is amplifying the effect.
    New playfields are polished and waxed at the factory - the shinier something is, the more ANY imperfection stands out.
    New games are brightly lit - old games had almost no lighting. Xenon had 16 GI lamps and the playfield is mostly black.
    New games have no-glare, super-clear glass. Old games had green soda-lime glass.
    New games now have crystal-clear sprayed on coatings. Old games had either silkscreened lacquer or cloudy Diamondplate coatings.
    New games are new, so every little dimple stands out. You see a tiny scratch or dent in your new car and it drives you crazy because it stands out. Your 10 year old car that you gave to your daughter has hundreds of tiny dents and scratches, but you don't notice them at all.
    New games are steeper and have as many ramps as they can squeeze onto a playfield. Ramps need powerful flippers. Balls fly everywhere, often after hitting the glass. Old games had noting like that - Comet in 1986 was the first game where the ball would regularly hit the glass and then break all the plastics.
    New games will take much longer to get enough plays to flatten out. Any old game that did not pay for itself in 3 months was a dog. Nowadays people talk about a 6 year payback.
    I would put mechanical counters in my route games because they could not be reset - the electronic counter BETTER match pretty closely to my mechanical counter, or I'm getting ripped off.
    Games in good locations would get 30,000 plays a year.
    Even when I've taken my games to Expo, they only got about 700 plays
    -

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Marcdaddy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpeel?tu=Marcdaddy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.