Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 357 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by king-pin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

03212017heavensgatebody01 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180806_134152639_HDR (resized).jpg
    adm (resized).jpg
    9a2c458cd575462ce25f07ab26f5b0a0bd9d4c48 (resized).jpg
    ef01dcef26394898df3c577424ea257f6239c6d0 (resized).jpg
    11f396c4f32ccc1d72fa2a8546d76fca428841c5 (resized).jpg
    87770978_XS (resized).jpg
    12233207-corn-field-corn-on-the-cob (resized).jpg
    fathom_close1 (resized).jpg
    TEtmVwp (resized).jpg
    fathom1 (resized).jpg
    1110182140b (resized).jpg
    1110182141a (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    xenon-dimples (resized).jpg
    orbitor1.jpg

There are 357 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
    #1 5 years ago

Wow, Stern just clocking in on this Pin. Worst new playfield I’ve ever seen. Earl Shieb could have done a better paint job for $199

Lot of quality new companies that would never do this plus ZERO 90’s Pins have Orange Peel playfield. Total garbage Stern

534A1EBA-0D78-4913-AAEC-F5C900DF3D88 (resized).jpeg534A1EBA-0D78-4913-AAEC-F5C900DF3D88 (resized).jpeg

#2 5 years ago

Those look like dozens of ball dimples, which is normal.

Rob

#3 5 years ago

Yup - ball dimples. Par for the course

#4 5 years ago

Under the right light...this is what a WPC playfield with dimples can look like.

20180930124642810 (resized).jpg20180930124642810 (resized).jpg
    #5 5 years ago

wolfemaaan Nubie Alert!!!!!

Playfield looks totally normal.

#6 5 years ago

Read Wolfemaaan’s reviews. Everything is either a 10 or a 2. Some of the reviews are actually hilarious if you don’t take them seriously. It can be a bit problematic for the rating system as games with a small amount of reviews can be quite heavily and perhaps unfairly skewed due to Wolfemaaan’s critiques, but I have to admit they make for good laughs.

A buddy and I were joking the other day that we can’t wait for his JJP PotC review and guessing what it may be...

“So many lights and inserts, everything you hit does something. Too easy, that’s why noobs like it. 2.0”

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from pickleric:

Read Wolfemaaan’s reviews. Everything is either a 10 or a 2. Some of the reviews are actually hilarious if you don’t take them seriously.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/wolfemaaan/ratings

#8 5 years ago

He rated a Ghostbusters Premium a 1. Really ?? That game is pretty great , I know cuz I own one...lol

#9 5 years ago

Lol, move along. Nothing to see here

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

He rated a Ghostbusters Premium a 1. Really ?? That game is pretty great , I know cuz I own one...lol

I had one and it was easily a solid 5

#11 5 years ago

I don't like to have to use someones ratings to judge them but in this case I will, When I see 1's and 10's and not much else that pretty much speaks for itself in terms of whom we are dealing with here. Even a pin that I can't stand like WOZ still got a 5, in every category someone can actually think its a 1 or 2? Ridiculous.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from pickleric:

Read Wolfemaaan’s reviews. Everything is either a 10 or a 2.

This is why I don't waste my time rating anything. Guys like Wolfmaaan make a mockery of the rating system.

#13 5 years ago

Hard hitting journalism right here. Thanks for letting us know.

#14 5 years ago

Should of used the playfield condem. Now your center area is all funky!

#15 5 years ago

I know this topic grates on many people's nerves but I thought the DP I played on location looked noticeably worse than the games around it, some WPC and some Stern. GOTG and ACDC had some dimples for sure but DP seemed way worse. Could have been lighting, just seemed worse.

#16 5 years ago

Is there a way to flag _all_ of someone's reviews at once?

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Hard hitting journalism right here. Thanks for letting us know.

Wayyyyyyyy off topic but who cares, did you see Super7s reissue of the first gorilla biscuits 7”?

B9A74D9C-9930-4FE2-88A6-54A54457A45D (resized).jpegB9A74D9C-9930-4FE2-88A6-54A54457A45D (resized).jpeg
    #18 5 years ago

@OP this is an AFMr from CGC, about a month after being put on location. Wanna start a same thread for CGC too, or just admit this is par for the course?

AFMr1 (resized).jpgAFMr1 (resized).jpg
    AFMr2 (resized).jpgAFMr2 (resized).jpg
    AFMr3 (resized).jpgAFMr3 (resized).jpg

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

Is there a way to flag all_ of someone's reviews at once?

I had the same reaction. Thanks/No Thanks vid1900 for the direct link to the reviews. ugh...

#20 5 years ago

Looks like the new normal I suppose.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Wayyyyyyyy off topic but who cares, did you see Super7s reissue of the first gorilla biscuits 7”?

Wayyyyy better topic! I scooped one up at the release party last week... they blasted through the 7” in front of maybe 40 people, it ruled. I didn’t see any dimpling on the vinyl either

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

This is why I don't waste my time rating anything. Guys like Wolfmaaan make a mockery of the rating system.

I completely agree! The rating system is broken. The OP should have his rating privlages revoked for abuse of the system IMHO.

#23 5 years ago

Don't like dimples leave the hobby and don't let the door hit you in the ass

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

I completely agree! The rating system is broken. The OP should have his rating privlages revoked for abuse of the system IMHO.

Note that after a certain number of flags, a review is no longer included in the overall rating for a game.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Note that after a certain number of flags, a review is no longer included in the overall rating for a game.

Just another abused system as people buy a game, rate it instantly at 9.5 or higher, then flag everything is a low rating for the game. Or the game is viewed as poor title and anyone that likes it gets flagged.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

The only game review that matters is one by @caucasian2step! Also, the OP's reviews are hilarious & worth a read, especially America's Most Haunted.

#27 5 years ago

Mylar is your friend.

#28 5 years ago

Aahh, I see what you did there. Deadpool, orange peel = Deadpeel.

Killer material dude.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Those look like dozens of ball dimples, which is normal.
    Rob

Normal ?????? my bsd and fishtales have NO dimples after 40.000 plays.
    I have had almost every data east and wms dotmatrix and the dimples are 95 percent less.

Normal my ass.
    The wood is to soft just like the clearcoat.
    This is why i never would buy a new machine from any manufacture.
    Its crap, shit, rubbish.
    Your all brainwashed by George Gomez.
    Use hard wood not this soft cheap shit.

#30 5 years ago

I find the amount of people that apparently missed Vid's well thought out and detailed explanations on playfield dimpling quite surprising. But here we are, seemingly every week, if not every day, the same ol' thing.

#31 5 years ago

pickleric Haha, when I saw this post I was thinking about his reviews and posting about them. I see you took care of it for me. I do laugh when I read them but then remember he effects the ranking...

#32 5 years ago

They had dimples back in 1986, too...bro.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #33 5 years ago

The old man is holding up some dimples!

tftc.jpgtftc.jpg
    #34 5 years ago

Americas most haunted
    "This game sucked so bad it haunts me to this very day thinking about it."

I'll give him that one, pretty funny.

#35 5 years ago

Dimples are normal, happens with all pins. Do recent Sterns built in the last 5 years dimple more easily and more severely then past games? That's been an ongoing discussion for a while. If there's been changes made to the type of wood Stern uses and or their clear coat process it's entirely possible that recent Stern games dimple more severely then older games.

#36 5 years ago

1985 was a terrible vintage.

And Williams was making playfields out of wood back then, even though they KNEW that wood was softer than solid steel ball bearings.

b95c4106f815cada772c8dfd01bb7be1d006084a (resized).jpgb95c4106f815cada772c8dfd01bb7be1d006084a (resized).jpg
    #37 5 years ago

My wife used to work for Petsmart, and after you got your dog groomed they asked you to call a number for a survey. when you did you were asked to rate several categories from 1 to 5. they did not tell the respondents this, but they considered anything not a 5 as a failure, which the manager of the salon had to answer for each and every one they got. My Brother still works at a GMC dealership that does the same surveys.

I'm guessing wolfemaaan has spent too long working retail

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Do recent Sterns built in the last 5 years dimple more easily and more severely then past games?

Nope.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If there's been changes made to the type of wood Stern uses and or their clear coat process it's entirely possible that recent Stern games dimple more severely then older games.

A few games were made from Baltic Birch (look for the weird shooter lane stripes), but 90% of them are still plain ol' Hard Maple (same as the last 88 years).

#39 5 years ago

My Stern Elvis has no dimpling at all , this is not normal it is a soft wood problem period, stop drinking the Kool aid.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

this is not normal it is a soft wood problem period

When you make crazy statements like that, you have to be able to back them up.

So....show us anywhere in the world that sells Rock Maple, Hard Maple, Sugar Maple (all the same species, all with the same 1400 Janka hardness) with your "soft wood"

We'll wait.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Waxx:

pickleric Haha, when I saw this post I was thinking about his reviews and posting about them. I see you took care of it for me. I do laugh when I read them but then remember he effects the ranking...

I don't even know why you have MM in your collection @Waxx. Damn castle takes up 1/3 of the playfield! Can't miss. All you do is let the ball bounce around in the superjets for 10 minutes and rack up infinite points! No wonder noobs love this game. Overrated.

#42 5 years ago

Makes me want to go out and buy a brand new car that went thru a hailstorm.

#43 5 years ago

I know dimpling is normal but I can say that I look at my TSPP from 2005 or Indy from 1993 vs. my newer Sterns (Maiden, Kiss) and there's not contest. Newer pins have much worse dimpling.

Why? No idea. Maybe it's the wood. Maybe the airballs. Maybe a combo. Large magnets like in AS and BM66 pit like hell too and that's not a wood issue.

Does it hurt anything? No. But it is pretty crappy for the cost of a new pin these days.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

solid steel ball bearings

I swear those have a little give to'm!

#45 5 years ago

Are we allowed to say "Soft Wood"?

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Makes me want to go out and buy a brand new car that went thru a hailstorm.

I know you are a nubie to "fresh out of the box" pinball, but unlike your car, playfields flatten out all by themselves.

All you got to do is keep playing them.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Are we allowed to say "Soft Wood"?

Your wife does, all the time.

#48 5 years ago

Older games do not look as bad as newer games for dimpling because over time after enough dimpling the playfield smoothes itself out after tens of thousands of dimples. Look closely at all your games under the right light you will see dimpling.

It gets worse before it gets better. newer games look worse but over time they will look better.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

My Stern Elvis has no dimpling at all , this is not normal it is a soft wood problem period, stop drinking the Kool aid.

HUO Elvis liked to dimple his guitar, but like Steve Ritchie, he was KING!

elvis.jpgelvis.jpg
    #50 5 years ago

Vid seems you have a problem with soft wood lol. Not married sorry.

There are 357 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpeel/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.