(Topic ID: 297131)

Deadliest Catch, do you like that TV show?

By JohnnyPinball007

8 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by JohnnyPinball007
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you ever watch Deadliest Catch?”

• I have seen every episode. 12 votes
      32%
    • I have seen a few episodes. 16 votes
      43%
    • I have never watched it. 9 votes
      24%

(37 votes)

#1 8 days ago

I have been watching this show since even before season one. (on the tip of my tongue. I just can not remember the name of the show that first featured the crab fishing industry).

I am surprised since we have a Oak Island topic, a Gold Rush topic, and even Skin Walker Ranch that no one has ever started this topic.

This is my 2nd favorite TV show period, I always watch, and I have some of the seasons on DVD also.

(My first favorite TV shows are NFL games).

I like Oak Island, but it gets boring. I like Gold Rush, but they fake a lot of that, I am a excavator operator, and I know some of that is fake.

Anyway, back to Deadliest Catch. It was so sad when Phil Harris died, and then his kids were just lost for a while.

I am glad they are doing better now, and the new Bloodline show that Josh is doing is pretty good also, my girlfriend loves it better than just watching empty crab pot, empty crab pot, full crab pot, full crab pot, etc.

Anyway, I am sure a lot of this is just "made for TV", but a whole lot of it is very real.

There have been so many boats to sink through the years, and so many lives lost, and pretty sure all of that is real.

And man those big waves, and all that ice that you have to pound off with hammers all the time, they can have all that, I just like watching on TV, no way would I ever want to mess with that, even if I could make 50 grand in a few weeks like a lot of times those deckhands make.

We are nearing the end of season 17 now, so this show has been around for a long time.

(and not the confessional, but I confess if done right, I think Deadliest Catch could be a awesome pinball machine).

#2 8 days ago

I watched it religiously for six or seven seasons. I need to check it out again. What are the recent can’t miss seasons?

#3 8 days ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

What are the recent can’t miss seasons?

Well, this season, with the virus, really helped all of them to work together, and has been awesome! So season 17.

The older ones when Phil was alive was always awesome, he was very entertaining.

Since then at times it was depressing with his kids kind of lost, while at the same time you got to see Jake, that started out fishing with Sid grow up and running his own boat now.

Some seasons there is a lot of pain, some seasons you see some kids grow up and start taking over a boat as a captain themselves, and some captains drop out due to drugs or whatever.

Whatever season that Phil was not even on the boat because he was sick was really sad. The seasons before that were great.

Hands down season 17 has been the best as far as everyone trying to help each other.

In a different way almost as good as when Phil was alive, and talking about crab farts.

#4 8 days ago

My god is this show still on? I thought all the captains had died off already.

My favorite was Ice Road Truckers, but I haven't watched any of these shows in many years.

#5 8 days ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Well, this season, with the virus, really helped all of them to work together, and has been awesome! So season 17.
    The older ones when Phil was alive was always awesome, he was very entertaining.
    Since then at times it was depressing with his kids kind of lost, while at the same time you got to see Jake, that started out fishing with Sid grow up and running his own boat now.
    Some seasons there is a lot of pain, some seasons you see some kids grow up and start taking over a boat as a captain themselves, and some captains drop out due to drugs or whatever.
    Whatever season that Phil was not even on the boat because he was sick was really sad. The seasons before that were great.
    Hands down season 17 has been the best as far as everyone trying to help each other.
    In a different way almost as good as when Phil was alive, and talking about crab farts.

Josh Harris not Jake the drug addict thief you ment is running his own boat sorta. Hes not the lead Captain though for some reason KC is still there. This season has been good. I like the Time Bandit and Johnathon the most, I relate to him since he reminds me of my dad.

I miss Edgar on the Northwestern. Best deckhand ever!

#6 7 days ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

Jake the drug addict thief

He was on the Blood Line show briefly last night.

And yeah, what happened to Edgar?

Also weird seeing Matt on the Saga instead of the Northwestern.

I also like Jonathan the most. When Phil was alive I liked him the best.

I can not stand Steve Harley, but he has been very nice this season.

#7 7 days ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

I miss Edgar on the Northwestern. Best deckhand ever!

^+1

However I've not seen the show in a few years now.
    I think the last season I watched was two seasons after Phil passed.

#8 7 days ago

I was into it for years, stopped watching about 3 years ago, and just picked it back up.. watched last season and have been watching this season.

Overall, great show! I think I got burned out on it and it's format when I stopped watching it... now that I've jumped back in I've noticed that they have almost no focus on the individual deck hands like they did before.. sure there is them working and a little coverage of the main guys that are long term, but nothing like there was.

One thing that surprises me about these captains is how dishonest they are with each other... they will lie faster than you can blink to other captains they have alliances with and burn friendships like they are nothing... but they all do it. To me it's entertaining. All for one and one for all lol.

If we're talking casually about the show, I'll add my interests in the show- Glad to see the Hillstrands and the Time Bandit back! He's always been a fun guy to watch.

Sig on the Northwestern has always been a cool dude to watch also.. I keep waiting and waiting to see Mandy do her own thing though.. perhaps take on a specific segment of a season like Keith and Monte do on the Wizard?

I also like watching Wild Bill.. but man does he have the shittiest luck!! And the loss of Nick was sad to see.

On a side note, my wife likes to grab crab legs at the store at least one a season and cook them up and eat them while we watch the show . Anyone else LMAO

#10 2 days ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I am glad they are doing better now

They are not...Jake is still a fricking drug train wreck and trying to drag his successful brother Josh down with him. Luckily Josh has got his act together and is able to keep himself clean and away from that crap.

That being said there have been two deaths mentioned from the highlighted ships this season Mahlon Reyes died a year ago yesterday of a heart attack after a drug overdose. Then in the episode that took place at New Year's Nick McGlashan died of another drug overdose.

#11 2 days ago

I watched until they showed Phil in the hospital and then he died.
    IMO that was reality tv gone too far.
    Never watched the show again.

#12 2 days ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I watched until they showed Phil in the hospital and then he died.

That was very sad, Phil was the best.

For years after that the show was not the same, but I kept watching it, and seeing stuff like Jake Anderson as a greenhorn on the Northwestern now captain of his own boat.

In just the last 2 years or so I have really liked the show again. It will never be the same with Phil gone, but for whatever reason I like watching the show, I have never missed a episode, good or bad.

Quoted from redman822:

Jake is still a fricking drug train wreck

I thought the same thing also, until the Blood Line show with Josh and Casey that was on last week after Deadliest Catch went off.

For a few minutes in the show, Josh was at Jakes house, getting him to look at the Hawaii maps, and get his take on what Phil was trying to do, and while Jake did not look good at all, at least he did not seem high at the time.

The poll has 8 votes(mine included), for having seen every episode, so hopefully sometimes the others can chime in also.

I think for reality TV, this show is pretty much as real as it gets.

I also love Gold Rush, but as a heavy equipment operator myself, a lot of that is made for TV when they are acting like they are stuck or something on a excavator, (or either they are actually dumb, which I do not think is the case).

As far as Josh, at first I was disappointed that he involved Casey, and Josh did not just go at it alone like his Dad Phil did.

But now I really like Casey, and I am glad he is there with Josh.

Seems over half of the boats have family that helps and knows how to be a captain also.

Like the Wizard big time, with Keith and Monte.

Northwestern big time, almost everyone on that boat is family it seems like.

Time Bandit. Yeah, just Jonathan now, but in past seasons it was pretty much all family like the Northwestern.

I know I am missing more, but I am tired.

Boats with no family I know of helping:

Saga with Jake Anderson.

Summer Bay with Wild Bill

Southern Wind with Steve Harley Davidson

I really hope this show is always on TV.

The deaths are very sad, but seeing the youth step up and take over is good.

This show is the most real show I know of.

I love the NFL, and sometimes anymore I wonder if some of those games are even real anymore.

For reality TV, Deadliest Catch is as real as it gets as best I can tell.

#13 2 days ago

Deadliest Catch and Gold Rush are the shows I watch winding down for the night. My kids joke that I watch shows about working when I am not working. Turns out their friends' dads apparently do the same.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#14 2 days ago

I watched until they got rid of the Time Bandit. There were whole storylines I just couldn’t follow and found myself fast forwarding through about half of the episodes. When each season starts, I give the premier a try and usually don’t finish the episode.

#15 2 days ago

I really liked that show for years. But then they started manufacturing too much fake drama. The pranks and the fake stuff just bugged me and ruined the show for me. I’m sure it was just the producers trying to juice up the show, but it made it annoying to watch.

#16 2 days ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I really liked that show for years. But then they started manufacturing too much fake drama. The pranks and the fake stuff just bugged me and ruined the show for me. I’m sure it was just the producers trying to juice up the show, but it made it annoying to watch.

The show has gone from being a documentary series to reality TV, with set up shots and suggested/written dialog. It's almost unwatchable now when you go back and compare it to the first couple of seasons.

#17 2 days ago

So, what's the catch?

#18 1 day ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

So, what's the catch?

Different types of crab.

#19 1 day ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

So, what's the catch?

Drug addiction

#20 1 day ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Drug addiction

Yeah, for some of them.

#21 1 day ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

...to reality TV, with set up shots and suggested/written .

I kind of miss Elliott. Total douchebag but his crumbling horrible life was enjoyable an hour a week; you cant script disasters like that

#22 1 day ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I watched until they got rid of the Time Bandit.

They didn't "get rid of" the Time Bandit - the Hillstrands were sued and owed a ton of money ($1.35million) due to a fireworks injury on their ship. They put it up for sale to try and get the money but after three years they were able to get the money without selling the boat (probably by leasing it to others).

Jonathan came back this current season on the TB.

#23 1 day ago

Ha!
    Of all the things that could happen to you on a crab boat in the bering sea, i did not see fireworks injury coming.
    Even the workmans comp people couldnt predict that one...

#24 1 day ago

The Deadliest Catch episode tonight was blah, but after it Deadliest Catch Bloodline was good I thought. It even had Jonathan there working his magic.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside