(Topic ID: 221518)

Deadbeat Sellers

By pduffy

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy.gif
    petersellers02 (resized).jpg
    Untitled.png
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Are deadbeat sellers common here? I just had my first experience. Agreed upon a price and pick up and now won’t answer texts or pin side mails. Maybe it was for the best. He did get the “flu” in summer so couldn’t do original pick up date but now not answering at all and and yanked the ad.

#2 5 years ago

Please, as a courtesy to other potential buyers, let us know who it was.

#3 5 years ago

No. But plenty of deadbeat posters.

It's frustrating when you expect them to post at a certain time or respond to a certain topic, and then they go and not show up!

#4 5 years ago

Would be nice to know who.

#5 5 years ago

Seller was Evilelement

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from pduffy:

Seller was Evilelement

His last post was in the "I'm done" thread so that may just size things up.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-m-done-/page/2#post-4482553

#7 5 years ago

This is one of the reasons feedback exists. Use it and help others know a seller's history.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/evilelement/feedback

#8 5 years ago

He douched on you and got a better offer, no doubt about it. He even states that he was getting out. It was a fire sale of sorts.

#9 5 years ago

Shoot. I can’t leave feedback. I had already blocked him on Pinside.

#10 5 years ago

He just accepted my offer (his asking price). No haggle. If he got a better offer, why not give me the opportunity to counter?

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from pduffy:

Thanks for the link above. Just left negative feedback.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from pduffy:

If you set someone on ignore, they can't PM you.

#13 5 years ago

There are as many reasons deals fall through as there are sellers and buyers. Doesn't matter what you're selling. If you let your unmet expectations bother you you're going to lead a very bothered life. Go play some pinball.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Understood. Since we made the deal on 7/5, I think it’s safe to say the deal is off. If you can’t communicate, then not the right seller for me.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from pduffy:

Understood. Since we made the deal on 7/5, I think it’s safe to say the deal is off. If you can’t communicate, then not the right seller for me.

Gorgar, JM or T3?

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

And if I remember correctly, even mentioning that you ignored somebody is a moderatable, capitol pinside offense!

#17 5 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from pduffy:

Johnny Mnemonic

Yeah that crazy cheap underpriced game he got a bunch of emails on?

Hey shit happens. That is certainly a deal I wouldn't have concluded was final till I had the game in my car.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from pduffy:

He just accepted my offer (his asking price). No haggle. If he got a better offer, why not give me the opportunity to counter?

Cash is king.

Someone told him "I'll be there in 15 minutes, cash in hand" and he took it.

I always tell potential buyers "Bring a truck, Cash and take home a beautiful game"

If they say "I'll look at it tonight, then come back this weekend with my brother-in-law's truck" or "I'll come out tonight and give you a deposit, then I have to go scrape up the cash" I just tell them that I'm calling the next person on the list. I don't have time for flaky-ness.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from pduffy:

Are deadbeat sellers common here? I just had my first experience. Agreed upon a price and pick up and now won’t answer texts or pin side mails. Maybe it was for the best. He did get the “flu” in summer so couldn’t do original pick up date but now not answering at all and and yanked the ad.

Don't lose sleep over it. There are a lot of flakes out there. Not only sellers, but buyers too. It goes both ways.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Cash is king.
    I always tell potential buyers "Bring a truck, Cash and take home a beautiful game"
    If they say "I'll look at it tonight, then come back this weekend with my brother-in-law's truck" or "I'll come out tonight and give you a deposit, then I have to go scrape up the cash" I just tell them that I'm calling the next person on the list. I don't have time for flaky-ness.

Vid, I agree with you BUT, it appears the seller agreed to a pick up time for asking price. Dick move on the seller. Don't make an agreement that you are not going to keep. Or hey, it's yours at X time and day as long as it's still here. Be fucking honest, that's all.

#22 5 years ago

Not deadbeats, "change their mind" types.
    Common as cotton woven t-shirts.
    Nostalgia can be a powerful foe.

Be ready to buy and pick up immediately, or not at all, particularly from seller to whom you have not dealt with before.
    It sounds like things were planned in months, not days.
    Learn not to try and lowball, if a game is in the condition as expected, as this can sometimes be offending.
    Long time collectors know their prices, and don't shank others. New high end rollers can, especially with "mods", powder coating, or chrome, or simply try and flip games for more money a few months later.

The strongest advice I can give is do not give a person a chance to acquire the disease of getting seller remorse, as it can only take a few hours, not days.

My only exceptions above are between networked pinball acquaintances, museums, and friends, for "holdovers".
    Trust will build more trust.
    Reversely, buyer flake out will not lead to better future deals from the same parties.

#23 5 years ago

I get frustrated with buyers on CL. They shoot you an offer, I accept, and then they disappear. At least have the decency to tell me you changed your mind.
    Can be a very frustrating market!

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Not deadbeats, "change their mind" types.

I was going to say-

Deadbeat- someone that owes you something and refuses to pay up.

These always crack me up when somebody gets bent out of shape or feels the need to publicly announce that somebody that said he would sell him something changed his mind when in reality it saved the person money from buying something he didn't really need in the first place.

Does it suck? Maybe. But the minute somebody I'm trying to deal with gets shady, I'm done and no longer give a shit as long as I haven't spent a dime.

Quoted from pduffy:

Maybe it was for the best.

Ya think?

#25 5 years ago

I’ve been looking for a rare $15K+ pin. I got lucky and found one a couple hundred miles away on Mr Pinball Classifieds that’s been listed since Dec ‘17. Emailed the guy, he responded with pictures. I said I wanted it at his asking price. Haven’t heard back from the guy. BTW, he’s on pinside, but hasn’t checked on in over four years. Sellers remorse?

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from pduffy:

Are deadbeat sellers common here? I just had my first experience.

Well at least you don't have to own a JM.

#27 5 years ago

Looks like he pulled the pin on pinside + pinball ownership...

Quoted from Evilelement:

Idk this hobby is great if you have good friends. My issue isnt the people who talk money behind my back , but mainly the collectors who scream they got this pin for so much , then a year later try and flip for thousands more.
    Or have an issue with a pin , tell someone else then try to sell it you as mint.
    Out of the 40+ reletionships ive made 99% are like that.
    MONEY is toxic in any hobby!!!
    Ive sold 14 this this month , getting out .. and you know what not one of my so called friends were offered any . To the new buyers who got one of my cheap pins , hopfully they pay it forward

Untitled.pngUntitled.png

#28 5 years ago

just saw the same thing on deactivated.

#29 5 years ago

Gee, how much of a coincidence that he deactivated as his name was about to be dragged through the wringer.

Either speaks volumes on his actions or he said fuck it and doesn't want to deal with any pinside drama.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

I’ve been looking for a rare $15K+ pin. I got lucky and found one a couple hundred miles away on Mr Pinball Classifieds that’s been listed since Dec ‘17. Emailed the guy, he responded with pictures. I said I wanted it at his asking price. Haven’t heard back from the guy. BTW, he’s on pinside, but hasn’t checked on in over four years. Sellers remorse?

Scam?

#31 5 years ago

For better or worse, not all people are capable or interested in typical courtesies. As one might expect a simple “I’ve decided to take another offer” or “I’ve changed my mind”, others don’t.

My opinion here is move on and don’t take it personally. It’s not about you.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

It is hard to say when the other party leaves you hanging. Is he jerking you? Or did he have a family emergency? Or wind up in the hospital? No shows are impossible to guess.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

It is hard to say when the other party leaves you hanging. Is he jerking you? Or did he have a family emergency? Or wind up in the hospital? No shows are impossible to guess.

You can start a whole new topic on "Deadbeat Buyers". It seems to work both ways.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Cash is king.

I am 1/2 hour away. It was agreed upon pick up day with cash. Not sure what else I could have done

#35 5 years ago

It’s all good. Found another one. Life moves on.

#36 5 years ago

These threads always go nowhere, have nothing to say, and never result in the aggrieved party getting their game. They are pointless.

You can’t force someone to sell you a game. Make a mental note and dont deal with that person again. Move on.

I’m not sure why the “we had a deal but then he didnt sell it to me” thing affects people so much. It really seems to leave a lasting emotional bruise.

Seems like the seller has had enough of the hobby, and he’s done. Good for him. Try as we might we aren’t gonna pull him back in trashing his reputation is moot as he’s gone.

There will be no justice in this terrible crime against pinmanity. Well just have to all try to get through it together.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

You can start a whole new topic on "Deadbeat Buyers". It seems to work both ways.

Yeah, it does. I know after I have traveled several hundred miles to make a buy and when I attempt to call my party to say I have arrived I get nervous when my seller does not answer the phone immediately. And I am the buyer ! When my seller finally calls me back I can finally breathe.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m not sure why the “we had a deal but then he didnt sell it to me” thing affects people so much.

Because if you’re not a man of your word you ain’t worth a F*ck, thats why.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Because if you’re not a man of your word you ain’t worth a F*ck, thats why.

Yes, that’s really worth stewing for 2 weeks over.

Come on dude. Haven’t you been in this hobby for a while?

You let stupid Shit like this get to you you’ll burn out quick.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, that’s really worth stewing for 2 weeks over.
    Come on dude. Haven’t you been in this hobby for a while?
    You let stupid Shit like this get to you you’ll burn out quick.

I wouldnt let it ruin my life obviously and i would move on, but yeah id be pissed a little i wont lie. I cant stand people who are dishonest. If i give someone my word i always keep it no matter what. I’m sure the OP will move on and live a normal life but he probably just needed to vent a little and that’s understandable providing that the story he is telling is accurate.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

These threads always go nowhere, have nothing to say, and never result in the aggrieved party getting their game. They are pointless.

I know I shouldn't ask but, what topics would you rather see posted??

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from pduffy:

I am 1/2 hour away. It was agreed upon pick up day with cash. Not sure what else I could have done

There is probably nothing you could have done.

Every pin someone puts on CL gets 15-20 calls instantly, sometimes many more.

Even if you agree to come tomorrow at 6pm and buy it, someone will call and offer $100-200 more and say that they will come get it right now.

Pinheads are insane, they buy any and every game for sale locally, even if they never play it - just to fill their basements.

#43 5 years ago

I learned my lesson early on. About 2001 I found an Adams Family For $1,500 and said I'd come by tomorrow to pick it up. Seller agreed, but then used this to leverage a higher offer from someone else who came right away. Seller never told me this until I showed up with my truck the next day. I fumed about it for awhile- didn't have Pinside back then to go vent on- but then life moved on. I adjusted my expectations about "men of their word" specifically (and maybe humanity a little, in general) and have not had a problem like that since.

#44 5 years ago

I feel like deadbeat is the wrong word. I think we used to call them back outs in another hobby where people bought and sold things. Glad you ended up getting the game though. Also Vid is right it is amazing the number of pinheads who just buy stuff to buy it. No real interest in the title they just try to put as many games in their house as fast as they can.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Gee, how much of a coincidence that he deactivated as his name was about to be dragged through the wringer.
    Either speaks volumes on his actions or he said fuck it and doesn't want to deal with any pinside drama.

His quote from 14 days ago shows he'd had enough long before this little episode.

Quoted from Evilelement:

Idk this hobby is great if you have good friends. My issue isnt the people who talk money behind my back , but mainly the collectors who scream they got this pin for so much , then a year later try and flip for thousands more.
    Or have an issue with a pin , tell someone else then try to sell it you as mint.
    Out of the 40+ reletionships ive made 99% are like that.
    MONEY is toxic in any hobby!!!
    Ive sold 14 this this month , getting out .. and you know what not one of my so called friends were offered any . To the new buyers who got one of my cheap pins , hopfully they pay it forward

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

His quote from 14 days ago shows he'd had enough long before this little episode.

When I talked to him he still had 40 machines sooooo not so sure that he is “getting out” nor smart to deactivate here if he wants to get rid of them all.

#47 5 years ago

He was supposed to sell that Johnny to me also. Communication through Facebook was good. He said he had to fix a bridge rectifier and was only available Thurs & Sundays. I sent a $200 deposit. He told me he was sick also. He did refund me the deposit right away though. (I want to say this past Thursday).

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

He was supposed to sell that Johnny to me also. Communication through Facebook was good. He said he had to fix a bridge rectifier and was only available Thurs & Sundays. I sent a $200 deposit. He told me he was sick also. He did refund me the deposit right away though. (I want to say this past Thursday).

Wow! So he sold it to more than one person. Stand up guy. Lol

#49 5 years ago

Was his name Jason from Vineland NJ?

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well at least you don't have to own a JM.

And miss one of the best Midnight Madness modes out there? Heresy!

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadbeat-sellers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.