Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Hougie
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20161122_164054315 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I have finally started to dig into my Taxi project. I bought it in unknown working condition.

The game has pinscore displays, a remote battery connector that had both wires cut, and a burned up connector on the interconnect board. When you power on the game it sounds four lower tones and one higher tone. The displays do not come on at all.

I have tested the +/- 100v on the HV board and it is within spec. Where should I look next? Any and all help is appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

Just curious, try double clicking the on/off switch quickly and see if you can get it to boot.

#3 7 years ago

What LEDs are on when you look at the MPU (large) board when you turn on the game?

#4 7 years ago

Can you also post a picture of the MPU? Would like to see if there is any battery corrosion on the board.

#5 7 years ago

First thought for me would be check voltages and fuses on the power supply. Then check connectors.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from dozer1:

Just curious, try double clicking the on/off switch quickly and see if you can get it to boot.

No such luck..

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

What LEDs are on when you look at the MPU (large) board when you turn on the game?

+5 and Blanking are solid. Diagnostic is blinking constantly.

#7 7 years ago

I don't see any corrosion.

IMG_20161122_164054315 (resized).jpgIMG_20161122_164054315 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

+5 and Blanking are solid. Diagnostic is blinking constantly.

This is indicating power is probably ok and the board is running code, since the diagnostic LED is blinking. This is possibly a problem with one one of the PIAs shuffling data to the displays that was taken out by something else.
    Pinscore displays don't require HV, so checking the +/- 100V high voltage was pointless.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Pinscore displays don't require HV, so checking the +/- 100V high voltage was pointless.

It's a good thing I like wasting my time. Lol

#10 7 years ago

That MPU looks pretty nice. Try to push on the U26 and U27 game ROMs to see if there is any improvement to the MPU booting up. If not, then try removing them and carefully use an eraser on the legs and reseating them back in the sockets.

If you need to end up sending the board for repair, I'd suggest having NVRAM installed as well.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

First thought for me would be check voltages and fuses on the power supply. Then check connectors.

I have reflowed all of the headers and I pulled and checked every fuse.

#12 7 years ago

I have a semi-working game now. I pulled the CPU and reflowed some of the connectors, I reseated U19, and now I have a booting game.

The display sometimes sort of works. It will display some stuff as I play a ball. But still has a way to go.

Either way I see some progress!

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

I have a semi-working game now. I pulled the CPU and reflowed some of the connectors, I reseated U19, and now I have a booting game.
    The display sometimes sort of works. It will display some stuff as I play a ball. But still has a way to go.
    Either way I see some progress!

you probably have a couple bad ribbon cables

#14 7 years ago

Do you still get boot tones? Four tones indicates a U19 Error. Not sure what the higher tone would indicate though.

#15 7 years ago

It's booting now. But I am back to no displays.

New development: Drops do not reset. Every other switch seems to work though.

#16 7 years ago

I had this type of thing happen to one of my sys 11 B's before and it turned out to be a connector on the power supply board. Don't remember which one exactly, but re-seating them would make it better for awhile, then it would do it again. Narrowed it down and replaced connector, good to go.

#17 7 years ago

The display issue comes and goes when I reseat the ribbon connector between the MPU and display. Now to replace the header and connector.

U19 seems to have been the boot issue. I plan to replace the socket.

Thanks for the help guys. Taxi lives!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-taxi-no-display-wont-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.