• Latest reply 5 years ago by steve-o
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2873 (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

I have a few games, where the ball can come to rest and get stuck until you nudge it out which can cost you a tilt...
There are designer "dead spots" in games...

I'm wondering:

1. What game have you noticed a dead spot in?
2. How did you solve it?

thanks,
mof

#2 5 years ago

My firepower has a dead spot if I plunge softly aiming for the "E" rollover. If the ball comes to rest JUST before the one-way gate (which I removed), then the ball is stuck.

I am thinking about driving a nail in that spot.

-mof

#3 5 years ago

i feel like on a lot of stern star trek pros (dont have enough time on a Prem or LE but would assume its the same) the ball rests on the right side of the bottom pop bumper and you have to nudge it out, if the tilt is tight it'll danger.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i feel like on a lot of stern star trek pros (dont have enough time on a Prem or LE but would assume its the same) the ball rests on the right side of the bottom pop bumper and you have to nudge it out, if the tilt is tight it'll danger.

Yup...even with the factory applied screw on the playfield it sure likes to hang up every once and while even when leveled properly.

#5 5 years ago

I’ve heard of a couple of games when you use a CPR or repo PF they are sometimes a little thicker this will cause the drop targets to fall below the PF enough to catch the ball to sit on top of the downed drop targets.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

CPR drop hangs

On mine with drops:

Space Shuttle, Firepower, Fathom, and a John Greatwich Sorcerer... Hasn't happened.

On Fathom you do a lot of adjusting to get the height right for flat ball travel.

Mof

#7 5 years ago

I’ve got an EBD with IPB PF and a Frontier & Fathom both original restored & CC PF’s. Only once in while on Frontier the ball gets caught on the right side 3 target bank.

#8 5 years ago

On my IM, the ball hangs on the bottom pop bumper sometimes. Ball search fixes it.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

I’ve got an EBD with IPB PF and a Frontier & Fathom both original restored & CC PF’s. Only once in while on Frontier the ball gets caught on the right side 3 target bank.

On Ballys its adjustable though?

Quoted from krivoap:Yup...even with the factory applied screw on the playfield it sure likes to hang up every once and while even when leveled properly.

The same on many Spider Mans. I think it's just a Steve Ritchie thing

#10 5 years ago

Robocop LOVES to trap balls on the skirt of the lowest pop bumper. It's a design flaw that's complicated by the fact that pops aren't part of the ball search.

#11 5 years ago

Alien Poker above the drops at least the one I used to play.

#12 5 years ago

Seems like games with "islands" in the playfield would be apt for the occasional stuck ball

#13 5 years ago

After 10 years of never having a ball stuck on my Night Rider, this happened a couple weeks ago. I actually just shut the game off and left it there for about a week out of sheer amusement. Started up a game and the drop target reset and kicked the ball right to the flipper which was kind of neat.

IMG_2873 (resized).JPGIMG_2873 (resized).JPG

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

My firepower has a dead spot if I plunge softly aiming for the "E" rollover. If the ball comes to rest JUST before the one-way gate (which I removed), then the ball is stuck.
I am thinking about driving a nail in that spot.
-mof

My opinion, put the gate back so the game operates as intended...and you don't have to poke another hole in the field to correct its behavior. Though looking at my FP I'm not sure how it's getting stuck there, you've got the curve of the ball guide, and a post with a rubber ring, only a very small gap. I guess even with the gate in place as original, it's still theoretically possible to hang the ball there if you are doing that super soft plunge attempting to catch the far right rollover lane...but the chances would be super slim at best.

Richard

#15 5 years ago

I know the locations of my dead-spots and when I see the ball traveling towards that location a gentile preemptive nudge keeps the ball moving. Works for me. YMMV
~Steveo

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, SC
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winter Garden, FL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-spots?hl=someotherguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.