• I wish I were a Pirate 60 votes
    23%
  • I have no interest in Pirates 18 votes
    7%
  • I was a Pirate in the past but not at present. 32 votes
    12%

(261 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 518 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fa740f3760c1e7cc46aa9b6a659878ce9b3294e7.jpeg (resized).jpg
DSC_2701 (resized).JPG
DSC_2693 (resized).JPG
20190416_222656 (resized).jpg
538C151E-7512-4693-AAE4-79625D2E1373 (resized).jpeg
DB2D7DEF-5DE8-4EFE-8A2B-6183FF456D87 (resized).jpeg
9D23A815-E036-4E84-8692-E7258EA2C223.jpeg
2DC55E89-197A-4632-B088-0CDF6C5E3702.jpeg
00B04A2A-6015-4459-8548-45C47818F546.jpeg
F4A2A4C0-0724-4A33-8099-EC72AB1C4DC8.jpeg
7B5DFC68-684C-4EAB-ADC4-289B88C5A698.jpeg
BCA69828-AC7E-4AA8-9943-F550996BBDAC.jpeg
5063972D-51DA-4AEA-BCAC-C9C917026D7E.jpeg
1CCF55AF-CC82-4910-BCFF-E802D7914A30.jpeg
6122105F-2500-4DAF-91DA-D17DF8B6B150.jpeg
BBD15423-FC42-4255-800C-FA16E82B7AA7.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yzfguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 4 years ago

1412802146075.jpg1412802114458.jpg1412802068314.jpgGot mine a few years back as a display game when sharper image went out of business.IMG_20130415_212947_431.jpgIMG_20130415_213423_853.jpgIMG_20130415_211049_609.jpg2012-11-17_12-30-52_910.jpg

#18 4 years ago

I concentrated on the skill shot for a week and legitimately made the super skill shot twice
AND .... F the sneeze guard..it was out 10 minutes after the game moved in!

#21 4 years ago

you NEED the cannon mod (red leds shooting when ship is hit) and if you can get ahold of a mckee topper, it looks awesome!

3 months later
#69 4 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

The angles on this game are absolutely GORGEOUS. Has anyone gotten a shot from the left or right treasure 'loop' to float across into the other one? Its flipping mind boggling when it does it, I literally jumped up and down when it happened for me.

I have done it a few times....last weekend I was showing a friend the game and pointed out that skill shot. My first launch I did it....seemwd like I knew what I was doing

#74 4 years ago

Cannon mod often refers to the leds in the cannons on the side of the ship. They light up when you hit the ship and make it look like shots are being fired back at you.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Do I add them?

Hell yes. They are awesome. A little tedious to install, but worth it!

#78 4 years ago

user "weirpinball" sells them. crazy cheap and adds a lot.

#88 4 years ago

You could disconnect it and send it to me

#98 4 years ago

woah...

4 weeks later
#114 4 years ago

mmmmmm.....playfield looks great.

2 months later
#135 4 years ago

Cool, what are the dimensions of those skulls?

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

2-3/8x2-1/4x2. They fit perfect in small dark areas.
Wish I could join this club, played it at Allentown, very fun game. Bet it's better when you can hear the sound. Is it deep and difficult? Didn't really know what I was doing.

I wouldn't say difficult, but not easy to complete. I have a pretty nice example, and I'm in NJ. You are welcome to come put some time on it whenever you like. Shoot me a pm if you are interested.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Once every 100-200 games it starts a tortuga multi-ball randomly....that's the only thing I've had happen.

same here....I hafta lift the playfield and reseat those opto connectors on the opto board and it is good for a while

2 months later
#184 3 years ago

welcome! mine sits next to tspp also

1 month later
#210 3 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Little help please.
This is my second Pirates to shop out . It did not come with this plastic on it. This plastic came with a replacement set. Could someone snap a picture for me of this attached. I'm pretty sure how it goes but would like confirmation.Thanks

Misc_043.jpg

Sure looks like it lines up with those holes, but I don't have that plastic anywhere either. I have the back alley cannon covering that area, but I never noticed that bare metal until now

4 weeks later
#227 3 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

I want to get a Color DMD for my POTC. Need to order it today but my POTC in at the beach.
Can anyone tell me if it has a red DMD shield or is it just a red film over a white shield? Need to know if I need a clear DMD shield or not.
Cheers
Paul

No red on pirates. It is a clear window over traditional orange dots.

3 months later
#298 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

All ... need some help.
When should I replace the compass decal in the back left side. How to tell?
thx.

disc_(resized).jpg

That decal looks fine to me. I don't think it ever "needs" to be replaced unless it gets worn thru. I have no intentions of changing mine out, it is holding up just fine.

3 weeks later
#376 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Any help, pictures would be great ? thx, Jim
PS - deciding whether to order a part based on some pictures coming in from pinsiders - thanks for your help in advance.

My sail looks like this in the down position.

IMG_20160205_205407773_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160205_205329975_(resized).jpg

#377 3 years ago

And my monkey is different

IMG_20160205_205707784_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160205_205758398_(resized).jpg

#380 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Ok, so can you check right here....thanks.

2016-02-05_21-03-42_(resized).jpg

Hard to get a good pic, but the top part of the sail is behind the ship, with about 1/4 inch gap between the ship and sail. The middle part of the sail stops just before the ship, with a few iny space but never hits it.

IMG_20160206_113134985_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#434 3 years ago

It's not too bad.....little on the sweet side.

2 weeks later
#481 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I was surprised to learn that you don't actually get the Jack the Monkey insert lit unless you start the mode AND hit him again in that incredibly short timeout - something like 10 seconds? Is there any way to change this in the settings? Or is this why everyone hates the monkey?

It has always been one of the easiest shots of the game for me.....it must be in a muscle memory spot from another game

#504 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

After installing two new flippers my test game was awesome. 435k but no four winds. Just can't get the heart super ball, i get the multiball Rolling and try to shoot the chest 5 more times. I had it together with tortuga and davey Jones multiball so plenty of shots, but for some reason as you come down to your final ball the heart multiball quits, so many grrrr....
Epic game however with all those balls flying around and davey jones on his organ.
Other question....when installing new flippers, I locked them really thighs, broke my made in China tool, but sometimes one just seems loose and the angle changes, any tips on that?

Gotta tighten more, or replace that piece that wraps around the flipper bat. If it is used, it may not tighten enough around it no matter how tight that bolt is.

#508 3 years ago

Prawn...that's what I said!

prawn-image_(resized).jpg

#519 3 years ago

So psyched for colordmd, it was my last modern game without one

1 week later
#563 3 years ago

I like scan on most games, but I think I agree that dotsxl shows off the small detail in the characters best.

#575 3 years ago

Yup...paint the underside of that plastic with white paint.
Looks great.

#597 3 years ago

I had it on dots XL for a week, but have settled in with scan now. I love it and have been playing POTC a lot again, so whole new experience.

#606 3 years ago

Lol, just a few! Looks cool.

#617 3 years ago

Sneeze guard looks like ass in my opinion. I look it off day one and never had an issue.

#620 3 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

how do you remove the sneeze guard? there are rivets on mine, no screws.

If I remember correctly, the plastic is riveted to a bracket, which is attached to the ramp with a bit and bolt.

#625 3 years ago

I never dremeled anything, and never once had a ball cause a problem. I can't really picture all this grinding and sticking

#630 3 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

I removed the plastic from the machine before I dremeled so everything wouldn't be covered by plastic dust. Without creating the hole for the ball you can't take off the sneeze guard.

Not trying to be argumentative, but that is clearly not the case. Mine has been off for years without issue and I still don't know what you are talking about.

#632 3 years ago

Never once, I wouldn't even think it could happen if you weren't saying it does. We have played a ton of games, it's not like it sits unplayed.

2 weeks later
#686 3 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

I've had my PotC for a few months now and I'm loving it. The flat clear plastic piece over the end of the rum ramp seems to be screaming for a mod. I have seen the small barrels on the sand pile. What else have ye fine mateys placed there?

I've seen it removed.

3 weeks later
#708 3 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Where can i find a rule set for this game. I threw a color DMD in mine and I'm bound and determined to get four winds again. (I suck so it could take a bit) . My problem is I cannot complete " All Pirates". This was never an issue before so I'm wondering how its accomplished .

Wassupppp, Skypilot? I put the colordmd in too, and now POTC gets lots of play again. So cool how the display renews interest in the game. Luckily, I suck and the "end" of most games is wishful thinking

1 month later
#740 3 years ago

I am still holding my breath hoping for a kraken mod!

2 weeks later
#762 2 years ago

Woah...just got my side blades from pingraffix. The very first game with them on, I beat my grand champ score by 150 mil! They must be good luck!

IMG_20160710_225442329_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160710_215231076_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160710_215214892_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160710_215157802_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160710_211957243_(resized).jpg

#764 2 years ago

I used rapid tac...had the bottle left over from doing cabinet decals on my afm. I believe Windex would work, but I would pm pingraffix. The rapid tac allowed me plenty of time to reposition them, and I needed it. I must have moved them a dozen times to get it right and it was no problem. What's your location? If you are local you're welcome to use my bottle and I'd be happy to help.

#767 2 years ago
Quoted from erak:

One drop of dish soap in a spray bottle.
Will work exactly the same.
Been using it for years to put new artwork on arcade cabs.

I would put water in there too.

#771 2 years ago

That is cool! Nice job.

4 months later
#863 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Wow, I finally spotted it 2/3 of the way down that review. What a weird way to place a plastic! Now I get to take the bigger piece off again...
As for the cannon, there's only one screw hole in it, and it's near the top of the plastic. There's also only one screw hole in the playfield, which would align with the cannon plastic if it was resting on the FR15 rail, but there's thus air space beneath the angled plastic... I guess it could work with just a screw, but I'd assumed there's a spacer or something...

Looks like you could use some arch support.

3 weeks later
#888 2 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

Anybody have Tilt Graphics inner cabinet decal mod installed on their machine and could share some decent pics. Leaning towards them (like the art and colors) vs. black mirrors blades (other choice).
On another note, I must be the only one that never had air balls on this machine.
Thanks, Bob

I have never had an airball either and took the sneezeguard off years ago. I have these on the sides.

ae11fd_08c558f2494e415db0f25031b416c850-mv2_d_3246_1503_s_2 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#920 2 years ago

I like it better in Met

1 week later
#945 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

and my 'no short plunge to Tortuga' house rule

LOL!

#949 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

All this discussion about the game made me obsess about it. Just played 10 straight games and remembered why I love it.
I still suck, though, but not nearly as much as Yzfguy.

That's the best you've ever gotten me....As I was reading I was thinking of a way to mock you, and then.. BAM.

3 weeks later
#1039 2 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I'd like to be your friend

LMAO!

#1045 2 years ago

First try reseating those crappy opto connectors at the little board under the playfield.

#1058 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You'll get what back once?
I forgot, what is the maneuver where you get credit for sinking a ship with one shot, and it says "you cheated"?

Broadside

#1069 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Your optos likely aren't working in the trough so that's why it's spitting out balls.
Coin door switch is bad possibly. Hold the door switch in to see if you can get to the menus. Tape it closed if you have to.

It's just inside the coin door on the left. It does this on purpose for safety.

1 week later
#1100 2 years ago

Mine bounces off the top of the right sling, but almost always right into the left inlane. So not really a danger bounce for me

1 month later
#1137 2 years ago
Quoted from dragdaily12:

Just finished modn this beast.

#1148 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Ordered a second one when I got the replacement.

Good. Can I have it when mine breaks?

#1150 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

First you don't donate to Schlockdoc's fundraiser. Then you want free pinball parts. What a Richard Head.

So, that's a "yes"?

3 weeks later
#1158 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Just finished the led makeover. Thanks to pinsider DaveD for the kit instructions. Next up is led backbox, undercab, and speaker lights.

Ugh.

#1161 2 years ago

The chest isn't supposed to open every time you shoot it. Only when all three key lights are lit.

#1164 2 years ago

I think you can go to menu and set heart multiball difficulty. Maybe yours is set on hard?

#1166 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

On your game, the chest opens and initiates heart multiball on the very first shot. Then gives you tortuga multiball just because it likes you. And sinks Davy Jones in case you still aren't happy enough.
Be sure to post those high scores, Yzfguy.

LoL... Pipe down, I'm actually trying to be helpful!

2 weeks later
#1179 2 years ago
Quoted from hockeymag8:

Hey guys - I bought some target decals from PDI and would like to know if the plastic cover over the compass can be removed easily w/o removing the ramp over it or is it a major project? My game is really clean so no need for me to take it apart for a few decals but if it is not a huge deal I would like to get them on the 6 compass targets. I see I believe 6 screws holding that cover in but 2 are going through the ramp.
Thanks a lot!

It's been a while, but I pit those on without removing the ramp. 100% sure. They are subtle, but worth putting in.

1 week later
#1184 2 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

Not sure where to begin with this one.....picked up a POTC this weekend and have been playing it regularly. Set some new high scores but whenever we enter our initials and hit end the music just blares at full volume until I open the door and hit the one of the volume buttons...then back to original volume setting. I'm OK with loud but this is bad....scares the crap out of ya. Any ideas?

Stop getting high scores

1 week later
#1212 2 years ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Just rebuilt my POTC. Looks amazing. The ship does wiggle back and fourth a little, when soaking the game. Is this normal or is there a couple bolts I need to tighten.

I would keep water away from the game.

#1215 2 years ago

I don't believe that is normal. I can only imagine that something came loose, allowing it to move freely now.
I would try going into the test menu and test the ship coils to see if they all function properly.

#1217 2 years ago

Could the whole assembly be loose where it meets the playfield?

#1227 2 years ago

I didn't have this exact problem, but other opto issues in the past. I found that the tiny little opto connectors connecting to the little boards under the Playfield kept coming loose. A dab of hot on each and we plugged them in and they have been fine ever since

1 week later
#1239 2 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

I've owned this game, sneeze guard off day one, less a couple years, since 2006 and have never had one airball, played daily. Just sayin.

Ditto.

2 weeks later
#1258 1 year ago
Quoted from potc1334:

Hello all! I Joined Pinside a couple days ago with having a POTC pin already. I got it back in 2014 from a Chuck E. Cheese for $1700. It was in really poor condition. Sorry no before pics. 2 optos were bad, the clutch for the ship was shot, and the link from the coil to the treasure chest lid was broke. In addition, the auto launch was not working and the decal on the Tortuga disc was worn down to about an inch in diameter.
I initially fixed some of the problems do be playable and have some fun with it. Last year, I started taking apart the playfield to clean it, as well as all the parts. Since this was a hobby, I worked on it when I could. Cleaning was the worst part of the whole project as it was evident that it wasn’t really taken care of that great while in the custody of CEC. But I cleaned it in the cabinet and out.
When I looked up online where to buy parts I saw some of the mods out there. Since I was on a budget, I saw some mods and figured I could create the same. There were some I could do though. Here is a list of mods.
1. Speaker Panel (I made using the old one and completed it in 2 days)
2. Speaker Grilles are a cloth material to allow sound to go through.
3. New speakers
4. Old sails broke and made new ones out of painted cloth and small dowls to hold them up. They are very light like the originals.
5. Added a modified firing LED cannon mod to the ship. Instead of the LEDs only coming on with the flasher when hit, I created a circuit allowing the LEDs to simulate cannon firing all different from each other. It stops “firing” when the ship sinks.
6. Added a jolly roger flair to the pops
7. Painted the chest
8. Purchased target covers
9. Purchased shooter lane protector
10. LED lights all over. Nothing color enhancing as I’ve seen with others as I bought them before I saw them.
11. LED behind the translight
12. Added cannons, by the flippers, on top a homemade deck. Cannons fire when you press the flippers. Special circuit was made so if you hit the flippers really fast, it only “fires” once. You need about a half a second for the circuit to reset. Both these and the ship’s cannons mimic cannon fire, not just flash. They do fade, but quickly. May be considered by some as they flash, but I made them the best I can to mimic cannon fire.
13. Added “Dead men tell to tales” homemade stickers on top of flippers.
14. Changed rules, I mean guidelines, as well as all images in that area. Installed a couple electroluminescent panels underneath to highlight them.
15. Added some coins on the front molding. It does not interfere with my hands when playing.
16. Added a coin to the plunger.
17. Added a few pics to the front.
I would like to get a decal set for the outside of the cabinet but need to wait for funds to get. Due to the location of its prior play, there is damage and extreme fading to the existing images. I would also like to add a topper of sorts. I’m still looking for the right items. I currently have a LED sign from when it was in tournament play at CEC. It shows the high scores and apparently my house is Chuck E. Cheese as the sign shows, other than the scores, “Welcome to Chuck E. Cheese”.
I hope you like what you see, even though some mods are the same as others. I do have a video of the cannons firing https://www.facebook.com/SmurfU/videos/vb.100000283422362/1723676784318419/?type=3. Due to the brightness of the LEDs on the playfield, the video does not do the flipper cannons any justice as to how they look when firing.
Thank you for reading.

Well played!

1 month later
#1301 1 year ago
Quoted from michi:

I've had it only for a year, not tired of it yet Space doesn't allow me to have more than one machine (well, two at the absolute most). I don't think I'll ever be a big collector. I bought the machine because I like it, and because I wanted something to practice with.

If big points is what you are after, it's simple: Tortuga and chest all day. Ignore everything else. If extra balls are on, it can pay to complete Jack and one kraken, to get the West compass award. Otherwise, ignore Jack (it's a dangerous and low-value shot), and pretty much ignore the ship and the kraken too (except when lit for jackpot).
POTC really is a one-ball game when it comes to points. The ball that collects the South compass award is the one that counts. The idea is to stay in multi-ball as much as possible, getting the multipliers by sending additional balls into Tortuga, and cycling balls through the chest enough to re-light the jackpots. I ignore the chest super jackpot too, unless I happen to be able to collect it as a convenience while re-lighting jackpots. (The super is not worth enough points compared to the other scoring opportunities to make it worth chasing.) Sending balls into Tortuga is useful not just for the multipliers, but to get balls out of the way and park them for a while.
Once the ball that collects the South compass award drains, the same strategy applies, but for fewer points. It's possible to work up the jackpot value to well over a million (I've managed 1.8 million once). But that takes a long time and, if you get the jackpot value that high, you are having a stellar game already anyway. Once above 1 million, the jackpot value resets back to 1 million at the end of each ball, and it takes too much effort and risk to work it back up again. I never shoot at the center saucer because it's a tight shot that can easily cause a drain. Instead, get your Liar's Dice awards during multi-ball, where balls end up in the saucer by accident, and the award is collected even if it goes into the saucer from the bumpers. (In single-ball play, getting into the saucer from the bumpers does not give you the award.) The accidental saucer hits also raise the jackpot value as a side-effect.
I try to avoid stacking Tortuga and chest multi-ball. There is no scoring advantage to be had this way. If the multi-balls are stacked, when multi-ball ends, you end up in a waste land with no progress towards either the chest or Tortuga. Generally, I try to use one multi-ball to make progress towards the other one, without starting the other multi-ball. That way, when multi-ball ends, I have next multi-ball ready or nearly ready.
Ship multi-ball can be useful as an add-a-ball feature. If the ship is ready or nearly ready, and Tortuga or chest multi-ball are down to two balls, shoot the ship to get a third ball.
Work the lane completions at the top, they add to the bonus multiplier. Bonus can get large on POTC. (The largest I remember getting is a little over 80 million.)
The Davy Jones strategy of not defeating DJ to keep getting big points is definitely interesting. My best score on POTC on factory settings is well over 600 million. In that game, I never defeated DJ, but tried and failed three or four times. All the hits to the ship during these attempts worked up the score a fair bit. (With two balls in Tortuga, a shot at DJ can be worth 9 million or more.)

So..... You're somewhat familiar with the game?

1 month later
#1330 1 year ago
Quoted from jbug:

I got my color DMD today. I got it installed but the screens are not moving. It's stuck on the first screen with the games software info. If I power down and turn back on it will be stuck on a different screen. I don't think I did anything wrong. I re-seated the ribbon cable to no avail. Instructions say to use a 8GB or less USB for updates and I used one that is 4G. I know ColorDMD is probably closed for the day so I thought I'd check here in the mean time.
Edit: The board I got is not Chroma A1. I have Chroma A2 which I did not see mentioned on their website. Not sure that means anything though.

Send them a message they their website. I have gotten responses at all hours. Randy has top notch customer service.

1 month later
#1452 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Is it confirmed that there is no theme music for the new jjpotc?

Sounds like you are looking for "the other" thread

#1485 1 year ago

It would be awesome if this stuff was handled thru p.m. instead of clogging up a specific game thread.

#1489 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Ye sold yer pirates. Be gone, ye scurvy dog!

LOL, but I still care

#1495 1 year ago

Plank is available at backalleycreations

2 months later
#1677 1 year ago

I saw that Mickey first day I got the game and never could un-see it again!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 279.95
Machine - For Sale
East Syracuse, NY
4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Machine - For Sale
Auburn, AL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 279.95
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yzfguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside