Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#430 8 years ago

I'm joining the club next weekend! HUO example with some nice mods. I was considering GOT and TWD for not much more $, but there's something about a really nice, dialed-in POTC. It will be nice to have Mr. Nordman back in the gameroom; he's been gone since I foolishly sold my WH2O. The only mod I'm thinking about now is a rum barrel for the rum ramp.

#432 8 years ago

I know, it just seems like little rum barrels are a must for that ramp. I may enlist the help of my friend with a 3D printer.

#457 8 years ago

Just some raw material...not sure exactly what I'll do with it yet.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#458 8 years ago

BTW, the rum barrels are D&D miniatures from the "Rusty Dragon Inn" collection. They're perfect, only about an inch tall. I paid about $7 each for mine. Search "rusty dragon inn barrel" on eBay; there are several up right now.

#465 8 years ago

I got the super skill shot a few days ago, totally by accident. At 10M it's definitely worth going for if ball save is on.
I promise to do one of my MindMaps for this game over spring break.

#466 8 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Even the Disney world ride ties in nicely.

I loved that ride as a kid, tied for favorite with Peter Pan (love the cities getting smaller and smaller as you "fly"). I'm not ashamed to admit I'd like to ride it again, kids or not.

#470 8 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I've yet to see a legitimate super duper skill shot (through the left treasure orbit then across the playfield and through the right treasure orbit), in real life or on video.

Total fluke when it happened to me, and I doubt I'll ever repeat it. In my case I flipped both times - and making the right side turnaround was 100% luck. I'm about 1 in 10 on the normal skill shot.

#471 8 years ago

Now I have a mission in life - repeat that shot with video running.

#480 8 years ago

I was surprised to learn that you don't actually get the Jack the Monkey insert lit unless you start the mode AND hit him again in that incredibly short timeout - something like 10 seconds? Is there any way to change this in the settings? Or is this why everyone hates the monkey?

#483 8 years ago

So strange that it's the exact opposite for me...I can hit Tortuga pretty reliably, but I get rejects from Jack all the time. I need to take a closer look at it.

#486 8 years ago

DAMN, I just got the super-duper skillshot again, and no camera rolling.

#496 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I've never seen it even close. Does it go across from one flip? If it didn't is there time to shoot the right treasure and collect?

I'm not sure about the first time, but the second time it was 1 flip, across the playfield and into the top of the right side. I think it's very dependent on playfield angle.

#499 8 years ago

POTC feels more like IM to me than LOTR (I have both). Huge scores rely on setting up stacks. No modes to slog through. Just lights those jackpots, get the timed lock ready, destroy a ship and start a Tortuga-Kraken jackpot fest with double or triple scoring. Shoot the chest to relight jackpots occasionally.

#505 8 years ago

The flipper bat may be stripped too, and might need replacing.

#509 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Sounds like color DMD on the horizon

Oh man, I hope so. Credible evidence?

#510 8 years ago

My son ordered crab legs last week, and all I could think of was POTC mods.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#512 8 years ago

Oh yeah...

NotRalph_(resized).PNGNotRalph_(resized).PNG

#514 8 years ago

Has anyone been tempted to build a complete collection of Pirate-themed DMDs? It's just POTC, Hook and Black Rose, to my knowledge.

#524 8 years ago

I unintentionally built a movie collection too: IM, LOTR, POTC, Congo, JM, DH. My only non-movie DMD is MET.

#527 8 years ago

Had a 190M game last night on factory settings (3 ball). I had everything but Davey Jones. Fought him 3 times, but I couldn't pull it off. I need to practice taking him out so I'm ready next time. I haven't found the Heart SJP difficult to get, but I may just be lucky there.

#530 8 years ago

Someone get a video posted...I want to see this before 5PM Friday.

#538 8 years ago

Yeah, you could definitely build a nice big collection of EM, SS and DMD pirate pins.

#554 8 years ago

I wonder how many of you have experimented with star posts? I tried them on mine but had to revert. They look nicer, but the top one makes the skill shot impossible. A lot less treasure gathered too.

#557 8 years ago

Actually my point was that it's a bad idea. It changes the shot geometry too much.

#567 8 years ago

I think it's only when you're fighting the Kraken (or in test modes, of course).

#571 8 years ago

I'm really picky about LEDs, but they seem to be fine in the inserts in mine, without LEDOCD. The seller put them in so I'm not sure, but I assume they're non-ghosting.

My rule of thumb in the GI was to use incandescent anywhere I could see any part of the bulb, and Cointaker premium frosted warm white LEDs for the areas that are completely covered. It worked pretty well IMO.

#583 8 years ago

I wonder if POTC is the only game that's scored in 3/4 time. Everything else in my collection is in 4/4 time, mostly rock. Just another thing that makes POTC unique.

#586 8 years ago

The rhythm of the music is 1-2-3, 1-2-3,...instead of 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4

#588 8 years ago

Ha, sorry. Yes, talking about the music. Sea shanties.

#591 8 years ago

I installed the CDMD tonight, looks fantastic in Scan mode. GREAT work MadMaxDad!

#598 7 years ago

Scan mode is my favorite too. I've managed to sneak 4 ColorDMDs into the house for MET, LOTR, POTC and JM. I need one more for IM and I'll be done (until Congo gets done). It's funny that I was once a skeptic. Now I'm an addict.

1 week later
#639 7 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I'm sure this has been discussed at some point in the thread, but curious what everyone's points strategy is? I've seen the PAPA Qualifying video and it seems the Tortuga Multiball is the way to go. I'm heading to a tournament tomorrow, and PotC is in it, and would like to practice some things tonight. What are the steps you take if you are looking for big points?

Are you coming to my tournament in Duluth, GA?

A lot of foreplay is required to have a great grind on POTC. Go ahead and get Tortuga ready for MB - this also lights Port Royal on the compass. Hit all your standups to light Pirates, which also starts "Max Jackpot" (compass South) flashing. Next, spell KEY, and shoot the chest twice to light the jackpots. You're almost ready...now sink the ship, and:

Short plunge the balls as soon as they come out, and send them up to Tortuga. Repeat until you have 3 balls in Tortuga. NOW, hit the center shot (to the right of the ship) to light "Max Jackpot" solidly. This makes jackpots worth 2M. Shoot the chest to relight jackpots, because they go out as you collect them. When you're back down to 1 ball, don't shoot anything but the chest! You want to start Heart Multiball while you still have 2M jackpots. During Heart MB, shoot the normal jackpot shots and Tortuga. Now when you're back to 1 ball again, your goal is to start Tortuga MB.

[Edited after some more game play tonight]

#641 7 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Ha... nice summary swampfire!
And yep, that's the one. Me and another guy will be heading there on Saturday. I said tomorrow (but then realized that today sadly isn't Friday). Didn't know it was your tournament, excited to meet you and thanks for hosting!
Also, am I correct that your PotC used to be Visi0n's (from Mobile)? If so, I may need to call him and see if I can get any machine specific pointers.

Yes, and a great seller he was! I will say, the exit from the chest is dangerous. If you don't nudge at all, the ball will bounce off that purty Titan slingshot ring and gracefully arc over to a spot right between the flippers. It doesn't take much to prevent that from happening, just nudge when it hits the sling and get ready to slap-save.

#643 7 years ago

The short version of the strategy is:

1. Get Tortuga ready (but don't start it)
2. Light jackpots and get max jackpots at the "Liar's Dice" scoop
3. Start Tortuga multiball
4. Keep a ball in play and try to start another multiball

If you can throw in a Kraken attack and keep relighting jackpots, you're golden. 40-50M is pretty good.

#644 7 years ago

You guys, I just found the most awesome audio Easter Egg in POTC. They modified the lyrics:

ORIGINAL (from the ride): "We extort, we pillage, we belch in fact ​drink up​ me hearties yo ho"
GAME: "We extort, we pillage, we belch, in fact we fart​ me hearties yo ho"

I had to listen to it several times in Pinball Browser before I believed my ears (script 0xE9, if you're curious). Awesome.

#646 7 years ago

Fans of the original Disney ride (pre-movie) may enjoy this behind-the scenes look:

http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2010/9/23/pirates-of-the-caribbean-like-youve-never-seen-it.html

#647 7 years ago

I bought the soundtrack to the original ride on iTunes, and went a little crazy yesterday with Pinball Browser. Here's the link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/pirates-caribbean-original/id587238512

The game's music is so good, I didn't really want to change any of that. So I ended up making just a few changes:

1. Replaced the 6 seconds of the girl singing "Yo Ho, Yo Ho" at the beginning, with the talking skull at the beginning of the ride saying "Dead Men Tell No Tales! <laugh>". The girl singing was getting on my nerves.
2. Replaced the stock tilt sound with the ghost pirate saying "Dead Men Tell No Tales!"
3. Replaced the end music with the deep-voiced pirate singing the theme song (but edited in the end sounds, which are cool)
4. Replaced a few of the outlane drain callouts, just for variety.

I also made notes on some of the sound scripts:

18: Spooky sound (3.83s)
1F: Explosions (4.86s)
36: Music for Hit Davy Jones (5.2s)
63 : Cannon (1.47s)
8A-8C: Explosions (2.9s, 3.8s, 2.4s)
8E-8F: Incoming cannonball (1.58, 1.64)
91: kaBOOM (3.7)
AD: Wowowowowow - weird (3.1)
C4: Deep slow rise (2.9)
E1: Music for suspense (37.1)
E3: Tiki Heartbeat (16.1)
E8: Music, calypso (20.1)
E9: Music, Yo Ho Jackpot (24.24)
EB: Music, Flamenco guitar (33.5)
EE: Music, Match sequence (5.4)
EF: End of match sequence (11.3)
F0: Music, cool tiki sounds (12.6)
F5: Music, game over (29.74)
F6: Music, tiki jungle tribe (19.2)
F8: Music, tiki jungle tribe (18.13)
F9: Music, tiki jungle tribe (22.16)
FA: Music, tiki monkey hurry-up (22.15)
1AF - Time for spirits and wenches, Har Har (2.4)
243 - Jack Sparrow - The only thing rougher than the seas is women (2.52)
255 - Jack Sparrow - Uh oh, we’re listing! (1.63)
264 - Jack Sparrow - You need more hands (1.43)
266 - Jack Sparrow - You're as frail as stained glass (2.3)
267 - Jack Sparrow - You’re going to capsize us (1.55)
268 - Jack Sparrow - You shouldn't try to outpirate a pirate, mate (2.88)
14E-1CB: Gravel-throated pirate (sounds like Steve Ritchie???)
1CC-268: Jack Sparrow

I've got to find a place for "Time for spirits and wenches, Har Har". Best line in the whole ROM.

#649 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Any way to share this work with the community?

Sure, I'll post it somewhere tonight and update this post with the link.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the newer versions of Pinball Browser don't support exporting sounds? I'm glad I kept version 4.04 as a backup.

#651 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Sure, I'll post it somewhere tonight and update this post with the link.

Sorry for the delay - heading to Canada for a few days but I haven't forgotten this. I added a little reverb to the beginning quote, made a huge difference.

1 week later
#663 7 years ago

The Black Pearl's made berth in my basement pub!
Maidenhead_(resized).jpgMaidenhead_(resized).jpg
Back_of_ship_(resized).jpgBack_of_ship_(resized).jpg
Cannons_light_up_(resized).jpgCannons_light_up_(resized).jpg
Slack_for_iOS_Upload_(resized).jpgSlack_for_iOS_Upload_(resized).jpg
My_crew_(resized).jpgMy_crew_(resized).jpg
Slack_for_iOS_Upload_(1)_(resized).jpgSlack_for_iOS_Upload_(1)_(resized).jpg
Not_for_kids_(resized).jpgNot_for_kids_(resized).jpg

#664 7 years ago

Here's what it looks like fully assembled, with rigging. It's 21" long. Too tall to be a topper in my basement, though.

There's not a lot of info about this series online. It was made by Hawthorne Village in 2006 and sold on http://www.bradfordexchange.com/ (they still have some POTC stuff if you search). I got mine on eBay (the ship and 2 sets of pirate figures). They're cast resin, really nicely done. I wish they were a tiny bit larger, but they look pretty good in the game.

13016899_1376215552404789_977579328_o_(resized).jpg13016899_1376215552404789_977579328_o_(resized).jpg

#665 7 years ago

Here's what's still available to buy in the series (ignore the baseball stuff):

http://www.bradfordexchange.com/search/pirates.html

You can also find this stuff on eBay by searching "hawthorne village pirates".

#666 7 years ago

IMG_5563_(resized).JPGIMG_5563_(resized).JPG

IMG_5564_(resized).JPGIMG_5564_(resized).JPG

#668 7 years ago

They're resin, so they'll break easily. I'm probably going to just put them in places where I never see airballs (e.g. top level). My wife also pointed out that you can't really see the guy on the pop bumper anyway.

#680 7 years ago

Does anyone know the difference between the AFM and STTNG shaker kits? Is it the PCB, or the actual motor?

2 weeks later
#698 7 years ago

I haven't seen any stuck balls yet on mine without the guard. I like this solution, though.

#701 7 years ago

There's a lively discussion about ball times and game times over on the LOTR thread. Have you all done anything to make your games harder? I opened up my outlanes and increased the pitch, but POTC was still the bottleneck at my last tournament.

There's nothing inherently wrong with long games, but for a tournament it's better to keep things moving. I probably need to disable the ball save.

1 year later
#1766 5 years ago
Quoted from altan:

When the kickout behind the chest happens and the ball comes out to the right of the chest, where should it go?
Should it barely miss the right sling and head to flipper?
Should it hit the top of the right sling and bounce upward toward left sling?

I like it to hit the top of the sling, otherwise it's too easy to catch and hit the chest repeatedly. A good player can nudge the ball so it misses the sling.

#1779 5 years ago
Quoted from altan:

How do others have their outlanes set?

Wide open for Match and tournament play, otherwise it’s a long player. But after everyone is gone, I close down the outlanes, because I like getting deep into the game.

#1796 5 years ago

I did a custom ROM with audio from the ride. I only changed the intro (“Dead Men Tell No Tales!”) and the outro (“A Pirate’s Life for Me”). Hit me up on PM if you’re interested.

2 years later
#2658 2 years ago

Cool story about Anne Bonny, who I assume was the inspiration for our lady captain/pirate:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/anne-bonny?fbclid=IwAR08QMbGgZlo7nshjgqg6Xq49koeMGPE1acT-HwvKSlud8wzneaiPnZjjFY

#2669 2 years ago

ColorDMD is really easy to justify for POTC. 90% of Pinside buyers will mentally subtract $400 if yours doesn’t have one. And if you plan to keep it forever, like many of us, it just comes out of your kid’s inheritance.

#2676 2 years ago

I wonder what the predominant language was among those pirates, back in the 1800s. Portuguese? Spanish? Seems like that should be an option - give me the un-dubbed version!

9 months later
#3031 2 years ago

I’m a big fan of mirror blades on older SAM Sterns - it really brightens them up. I’ve had my POTC for almost 6 years, and I wish I’d done this sooner.

A5FB90B3-5FC9-445D-8740-98289E64E1C1 (resized).jpegA5FB90B3-5FC9-445D-8740-98289E64E1C1 (resized).jpegC43ABEA9-2D9A-4D8E-B7F5-589A6E042D7A (resized).jpegC43ABEA9-2D9A-4D8E-B7F5-589A6E042D7A (resized).jpeg
#3032 2 years ago

Here’s a pic from the player’s perspective:

17D7F28E-3A07-47AE-988A-83E7EF7238EF (resized).jpeg17D7F28E-3A07-47AE-988A-83E7EF7238EF (resized).jpeg
#3036 2 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Love those boney flippers. Where did you get them? The ones I have seen for sale are not aged and are more all white in color.

They came with the game when I got it around 2016. I like them too!

1 month later
#3113 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I searched for more, I only had 2 left, and couldnt find any on Ebay. They would be a nice addition to flashers
that are visible.

Are ye looking for colored incandescent bulbs, or bulb condoms or something else? Argh

#3114 1 year ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

So replaced motor relay. Motor foe ship still constantly runs one direction. Tried spare motor as well, am I left with something on CPU? Anyone have this happen? Clutch is all good as well.

We’re gonna fix you up. Crazy that it’s happening with the new motor too, I will give this some serious thought.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
5,600 (Firm)
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Camanche, IA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mission, BC
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 218.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.