Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider potc1334.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1257 6 years ago

Hello all! I Joined Pinside a couple days ago with having a POTC pin already. I got it back in 2014 from a Chuck E. Cheese for $1700. It was in really poor condition. Sorry no before pics. 2 optos were bad, the clutch for the ship was shot, and the link from the coil to the treasure chest lid was broke. In addition, the auto launch was not working and the decal on the Tortuga disc was worn down to about an inch in diameter.

I initially fixed some of the problems do be playable and have some fun with it. Last year, I started taking apart the playfield to clean it, as well as all the parts. Since this was a hobby, I worked on it when I could. Cleaning was the worst part of the whole project as it was evident that it wasn’t really taken care of that great while in the custody of CEC. But I cleaned it in the cabinet and out.
When I looked up online where to buy parts I saw some of the mods out there. Since I was on a budget, I saw some mods and figured I could create the same. There were some I could do though. Here is a list of mods.

1. Speaker Panel (I made using the old one and completed it in 2 days)
2. Speaker Grilles are a cloth material to allow sound to go through.
3. New speakers
4. Old sails broke and made new ones out of painted cloth and small dowls to hold them up. They are very light like the originals.
5. Added a modified firing LED cannon mod to the ship. Instead of the LEDs only coming on with the flasher when hit, I created a circuit allowing the LEDs to simulate cannon firing all different from each other. It stops “firing” when the ship sinks.
6. Added a jolly roger flair to the pops
7. Painted the chest
8. Purchased target covers
9. Purchased shooter lane protector
10. LED lights all over. Nothing color enhancing as I’ve seen with others as I bought them before I saw them.
11. LED behind the translight
12. Added cannons, by the flippers, on top a homemade deck. Cannons fire when you press the flippers. Special circuit was made so if you hit the flippers really fast, it only “fires” once. You need about a half a second for the circuit to reset. Both these and the ship’s cannons mimic cannon fire, not just flash. They do fade, but quickly. May be considered by some as they flash, but I made them the best I can to mimic cannon fire.
13. Added “Dead men tell to tales” homemade stickers on top of flippers.
14. Changed rules, I mean guidelines, as well as all images in that area. Installed a couple electroluminescent panels underneath to highlight them.
15. Added some coins on the front molding. It does not interfere with my hands when playing.
16. Added a coin to the plunger.
17. Added a few pics to the front.

I would like to get a decal set for the outside of the cabinet but need to wait for funds to get. Due to the location of its prior play, there is damage and extreme fading to the existing images. I would also like to add a topper of sorts. I’m still looking for the right items. I currently have a LED sign from when it was in tournament play at CEC. It shows the high scores and apparently my house is Chuck E. Cheese as the sign shows, other than the scores, “Welcome to Chuck E. Cheese”.

I hope you like what you see, even though some mods are the same as others. I do have a video of the cannons firing https://www.facebook.com/SmurfU/videos/vb.100000283422362/1723676784318419/?type=3. Due to the brightness of the LEDs on the playfield, the video does not do the flipper cannons any justice as to how they look when firing.

Thank you for reading.

20170629_200844 (resized).jpg20170629_200844 (resized).jpg

20170629_200914 (resized).jpg20170629_200914 (resized).jpg

20170629_201122 (resized).jpg20170629_201122 (resized).jpg

20170629_201129 (resized).jpg20170629_201129 (resized).jpg

20170629_201136 (resized).jpg20170629_201136 (resized).jpg

20170701_200943 (resized).jpg20170701_200943 (resized).jpg

20170701_200950 (resized).jpg20170701_200950 (resized).jpg

20170701_200955 (resized).jpg20170701_200955 (resized).jpg

#1260 6 years ago

Thank you. Since I never kept track of other expences, I would have to estimate as to the cost of repair/mods. I figure that with the game purchase plust parts/mods would be around $2500.

#1261 6 years ago
Quoted from michi:

That's a great looking machine!

The sails look really good, better than the originals. I really like those!
Michi.

Thank you. I had painted the originals and played for a while, but during a game, a sail fell off. The plastic around the screw shattered and the other was showing major cracking. I wanted to have the sails look as close to the movie sails as possible.

5 months later
#1582 6 years ago

Here is a better link for viewing a video of the mods to my machine. I really like the firing cannons by the flippers (hard to see in the video) which are controlled by pressing the flipper buttons and the cannons firing on the ship.

3 weeks later
#1639 6 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

where did the new sails come from on the ship?

After I rebuilt my machine, I had repaired the sail I had but wanted something better. After a few plays the sails broke. I decided to make these using some plastic for the masts and wood dowels and black string to hold the fabric sails. It's still light enough and small enough to do all the actions required for gameplay.

#1641 6 years ago

Here are pics of the sails. Also, I posted pics of the mods I did back in July in this forum.

20170629_201122 (resized).jpg20170629_201122 (resized).jpg

20170629_201129 (resized).jpg20170629_201129 (resized).jpg

#1648 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

potc1334 wow, that looks awesome,,, do they still fold without hitting anything?

Thank you. Yes, they fold up without hitting anything. They are the same size as the old ones.

#1649 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Wow! That does look awesome. A video of the collapsing sails would be awesome! (if you have time).
Good job man. I love how you fastened the sails too. Very cool.

Thank you for the compliments. I will work on a video to post.

#1651 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

A video of the collapsing sails would be awesome!

For your viewing pleasure.

#1652 6 years ago

Here is a vid of the cannons on my ship firing. They fire all the time while power is on, but they stop when the ship sinks. I cannot think of any ship (real or false) that can fire its cannons when it sinks. They start firing again when the ship comes back up.

#1653 6 years ago

More mod videos with cannons. These are by the flippers. They fire when you press the flipper buttons. If you hold in a button, it only fires once. If you rapidly press the button it will fire but not fire again until there is about a 1/2 second wait between button presses. I put dark paper down for the vids so you can see them firing.

#1655 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

The sails are somewhat rigid! It looks awesome. Good job.

Thank you again.

2 months later
#1724 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Upgraded my Kraken

Great Mod! Where did you get the other part of the Kraken at?

#1729 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

The kraken part is this one
http://images.collector-actionfigures.com/AF-141961_a3e384c0-2e6f-11df-8650-001ee5d7ff66_00.jpg
Search on google Zizzle Kraken Slime.
I drilled the eye out and added a led that is attached to the flasher at the back of the kraken plastic on the playfield.
I lighted the slime with some leds, I have seen versions with a flasher dome there, but I liked to keep the slime, It will dry out and will get hard but looks great. I have the Jack figure that jumps into him, like in the second movie.

Thank you for the information. I also like the key. You have some really good ideas and mods on your machine.

1 year later
#2063 4 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Quiet here. Hope your all enjoying the Stern's POTC. A good player friend recently beat Davy Jones which is pretty impressive imo. Who here has done that?

I have twice. However, I have yet to complete the compass for the Four Winds Multi-ball. I get close with one direction to go, then I choke.

#2064 4 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Now I have a gun

That looks great! Is it hooked up to the auto launch?

1 year later
#2335 3 years ago
Quoted from Leosclam:

Anyone know what the number in the top left of the screen at the end of a game means? And the number it shows in the middle?
[quoted image]

The top left is for Player #1 and the last 2 digits of your score. The large number in the middle is to see if you match for an award. Typically by default it would be for a "Credit" and receiving a free game. However, if you disabled that, then it's more for show with no reward.

3 weeks later
#2351 3 years ago
Quoted from Mahoneyj:

This is what happens when you have free time...

Love all the items. Took me a moment to figure out the hat. Great job!

1 month later
#2401 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Ther's no read me file so not sure what's all was done.

This is what I saw in the read-me file for the updates. It really depends on who is playing and their preference. However, I did find it really annoying to be playing, getting the Tortuga multiball and then the next game I played would need to send several balls up the ramp to get the first multiball. Finally after starting a new game, almost finding it impossible to get the first mulitiball if I didn't shut down the game and re-start it.

(From Read-me file)

Pirates of the Caribbean
Release Notes.

POTC V6.00 - January 21, 2008
SYS 1.38
- USB back up will now dectect a full thumb drive.

Changes from 5.00
- Increased a few of the incendential scores.

POTC V5.00 - September 27, 2007
Changes from 4.00
- FIX the tourtuga difficulty was not reseting properly between games.
- Added chest award redundancy. If the enter chest opto isnt working
the chest will do its work.
SYS 1.31
- default 75 cent play

'That's it for the updates from V4.00'

#2402 3 years ago

Also, the read-me file is part of the download. Makes it hard to find at first.

#2403 3 years ago

Hope that helps.

#2405 3 years ago

When I got my pin, it was an older version (4.0?). I found out about the update and tried to install. My board has a wire jumper on it (assuming from factory) that was soldered poorly and didn't allow the update. Found it, fixed it and installed the update with the pin working great.

Except, it just doesn't want to give me crazy points for no reason.

1 week later
#2408 3 years ago
Quoted from PotcSternSwe:

I ordered a new compass decal for the spinning disc as mine was completely gone. I got it home yesterday and it looks just aweful. Should it really look this bad? Can someone please post a photo of the original compass?

If you are talking about the texture, it's supposed to be there. It helps grab the pinballs so they can hit the targets. Plus, that texture crap will go all over the play field with future game plays.

#2414 3 years ago
Quoted from PotcSternSwe:

Actually, I was referring to the low res quality and bad colors. Is the original like that too?

I had to get a decal for mine when I got my machine. The original decal on my machine at the time was about the size of a quarter. So I had to buy elsewhere and it looked about the same as yours. Sorry, that that's not muck help.

#2415 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

So that’s the “snow” that is constantly coating my pinballs and playfield? I long suspected it was the spinning disc. It’s constantly shedding flakes of plastic. Is there a better decal?

Not that I know of, but the mylar option sounds pretty good. My current decal is worn pretty good. I took a copy of Jack's compass, printed it out and laminated it. I want to give that a try and see how well it does. I'm currently cleaning and adding a few more mods so I don't expect it to be done soon to tell you how it is. But will update on the good and bad.

3 weeks later
#2425 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just looked at my original owner Potc it’s almost 14 years old the shooter lane looks like new.

Are you the original owner? I got mine from a Chuck E. Cheese and a lot of it was in terrible condition, to include the shooter lane. Mine was made Oct 12, 2006. The Technical Manager at the store I got it from definitely did not take care of it properly. However, in his defense, he had to take care of over 100 games/rides as well as the kitchen equipment in the store.

Plus, only someone like us would really take care of these properly than having to get it fixed quick to ensure they keep getting money. I wished the broken things were fixed before I got it. Could't beat the price though, about $1700. But put in several hundred to fix up and mod.

#2427 3 years ago

This is after I removed almost all items on the playfield for the extensive cleaning and polishing that was sorely needed. While the shooter lane does have wear, it seems a little deep on the left, plus the damage along the right side wall. I installed a stainless steel plate on the wall to stop any more damage.

Took about 6 months to repair and clean. Of course, that was weekend and some after work time. That was 3 years ago.

DSC_8181 (resized).JPGDSC_8181 (resized).JPG
3 months later
#2523 3 years ago
Quoted from JP76:

Does anyone have any else to check?

When you first start the game, you can hit any pirate target as many times to get the first Liars Dice. After that, you need to hit each one. That all depends on your settings too. Have it too easy on that and it may do the same thing. Just something to check before tearing it apart for a mechanical problem.

#2526 3 years ago
Quoted from JP76:

I looked through them and didn’t find it.

I want to apologize. I thought there was a setting for Liars Dice, but like you, I could not find one either. I spoke without looking further to make sure my facts were accurate.

Still, does this only happen when you get the first Liars Dice for the game or all the time? I did observe when I play, that I can hit one target several times to get the Liars Dice. However, after that first one I have to hit all the targets to acquire the next one and so on (at least, on my pin).

Again, I'm sorry that I gave incorrect information without verifying it first.

8 months later
#2818 2 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

mikedenton...
Nice to see Otto on the POTC site.
98.5% of the group here will have zero idea what I'm talking about.
Roger - Huh?

Surely you can't be serious.

1 year later
#3350 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Working on a little mod for the lockdown bar. This is mainly somwhat of a creative effort to come up with something to cover the tournament button hole, but would work on any game. Basically a pile of gold pieces. Thoughts?

This is how I did mine. I used an adhesive to attach them as I planned to not remove them.

20170629_200844 (resized).jpg20170629_200844 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 218.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Orlando, FL
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider potc1334.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club?tu=potc1334 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.