Hello all! I Joined Pinside a couple days ago with having a POTC pin already. I got it back in 2014 from a Chuck E. Cheese for $1700. It was in really poor condition. Sorry no before pics. 2 optos were bad, the clutch for the ship was shot, and the link from the coil to the treasure chest lid was broke. In addition, the auto launch was not working and the decal on the Tortuga disc was worn down to about an inch in diameter.
I initially fixed some of the problems do be playable and have some fun with it. Last year, I started taking apart the playfield to clean it, as well as all the parts. Since this was a hobby, I worked on it when I could. Cleaning was the worst part of the whole project as it was evident that it wasn’t really taken care of that great while in the custody of CEC. But I cleaned it in the cabinet and out.
When I looked up online where to buy parts I saw some of the mods out there. Since I was on a budget, I saw some mods and figured I could create the same. There were some I could do though. Here is a list of mods.
1. Speaker Panel (I made using the old one and completed it in 2 days)
2. Speaker Grilles are a cloth material to allow sound to go through.
3. New speakers
4. Old sails broke and made new ones out of painted cloth and small dowls to hold them up. They are very light like the originals.
5. Added a modified firing LED cannon mod to the ship. Instead of the LEDs only coming on with the flasher when hit, I created a circuit allowing the LEDs to simulate cannon firing all different from each other. It stops “firing” when the ship sinks.
6. Added a jolly roger flair to the pops
7. Painted the chest
8. Purchased target covers
9. Purchased shooter lane protector
10. LED lights all over. Nothing color enhancing as I’ve seen with others as I bought them before I saw them.
11. LED behind the translight
12. Added cannons, by the flippers, on top a homemade deck. Cannons fire when you press the flippers. Special circuit was made so if you hit the flippers really fast, it only “fires” once. You need about a half a second for the circuit to reset. Both these and the ship’s cannons mimic cannon fire, not just flash. They do fade, but quickly. May be considered by some as they flash, but I made them the best I can to mimic cannon fire.
13. Added “Dead men tell to tales” homemade stickers on top of flippers.
14. Changed rules, I mean guidelines, as well as all images in that area. Installed a couple electroluminescent panels underneath to highlight them.
15. Added some coins on the front molding. It does not interfere with my hands when playing.
16. Added a coin to the plunger.
17. Added a few pics to the front.
I would like to get a decal set for the outside of the cabinet but need to wait for funds to get. Due to the location of its prior play, there is damage and extreme fading to the existing images. I would also like to add a topper of sorts. I’m still looking for the right items. I currently have a LED sign from when it was in tournament play at CEC. It shows the high scores and apparently my house is Chuck E. Cheese as the sign shows, other than the scores, “Welcome to Chuck E. Cheese”.
I hope you like what you see, even though some mods are the same as others. I do have a video of the cannons firing https://www.facebook.com/SmurfU/videos/vb.100000283422362/1723676784318419/?type=3. Due to the brightness of the LEDs on the playfield, the video does not do the flipper cannons any justice as to how they look when firing.
Thank you for reading.