• I wish I were a Pirate 59 votes
    22%
  • I have no interest in Pirates 18 votes
    7%
  • I was a Pirate in the past but not at present. 34 votes
    13%

(270 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 539 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Ship Cannon LED Mod11 (resized).JPG
440F3638-F6E3-4D39-B4E5-4D2DE82B4B79 (resized).jpeg
2536201C-37D9-4A31-B2D3-9440B68E1A95 (resized).jpeg
20191005_112038 (resized).jpg
20191003_095227-1 (resized).jpg
20190930_040230263_iOS (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20190907_120030 (resized).jpg
d4c4e123a6199bebcad89fae14e76ef4bbbf5ac5.jpeg (resized).jpg
20190721_222629 (resized).jpg
3F8F6250-7F89-4BFC-A331-510B3BEBCE64 (resized).jpeg
34738051-E7E9-4852-9083-60C06C14A76B (resized).jpeg
3A49C455-B236-44DD-8621-2909E5A15B1A (resized).jpeg
BB2FA250-3C91-423A-BE8A-70DF8BF0E398 (resized).jpeg
AC6BF11A-07BF-4BAC-9117-13560AAB23D7 (resized).jpeg
07DF6233-59CE-49A9-83FC-AB23A4C0F118 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinworthy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#252 4 years ago

Saturday I spent 16 hours round tripping to drop off ST to it's new owner and pick up a very clean POTC. This is only one of a couple pins that my wife showed any interest in the last time I got her out for some location play, so ST was out and this was in (the others were WOZ and Golden Eye ... she vetoed WOZ on $$ so my next quest is Golden Eye before I drop the $$ on something for me ).

Funny the stuff you find on an older game. I ran through the diagnosis stuff for the ship and looked for alerts when I picked it up and played one quick game but I was pressed for time so when that went OK and it looked good I packed it up.
Got it all set up last night, leveled, new balls etc. and played a couple games. If the ball went to the left in-lane off the plunge it would start another ball but if it went anywhere else it didn't. Being new to me, and having only played a few games on location, I thought that was odd but looked for something to indicate that I made some sort of multi-ball. I finally did a switch test and discover the rollover switches for the left in-lane and out-lane were switched . This pin was in a home for the last 7-8 years and it really makes me wonder how long it was like that

2 months later
#326 3 years ago

I changed the flipper bands to red to match the plastics and changed the bats to black to match the cannons

image_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#424 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Excellent advice. I'm not familiar with the test menu in a POTC, is there a quick way to check for errors?

When it boots up you should see a message on the DMD referring you to any alerts.
Here is the page from the manual
Untitled_-_Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_Manual.pdf_2016-02-23_15-25-54_(resized).png
very simple just follow the steps to the diagnostics menu, utilities and technician alerts

#450 3 years ago

I agree with Schwaggs that there is probably an issue in the wiring harness. I had a very similar issue that I traced to a wire that was broken and would make/break contact as the ship moved causing the latch to release/fail to latch.
Peter G makes a good point that the ship movements are off.

Removing the ship mechanism is very straight forward and really the only way to fix any wiring issues. Based on the video you might as well plan to do a full rebuild on it once it comes out and it will be good to go for a long time.

#455 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Stomach drop... this was what I was afraid of. I don't mind the taking apart and rebuilding as I'm going to be doing a full tear down, clean, and wax, but the idea that the ship isn't operating correctly and needs to be rebuilt with new parts hits me in the gut as the motor alone costs approx. $200. Does it appear to be a high cost problem or maybe just a clean and wire check/solder from your experience?

I should have been more clear. The nylon ship track might be worn and could be replaced or worst case maybe the linkages are shot but I doubt it. I don't think you need much in the way of parts, it could be a simple tear down, clean and reassemble (what I meant by "rebuild"). I also doubt the motor is an issue.
The small solenoid for the sails comes with the wiring if you prefer not to try to solder it. On mine I had to fix the both sets of wires on the ship, the small sail latch solenoid both wires were barely making contact and one of the sail solenoid wires broke while I was working on the other wires ...there is a sharp turn in the harness and the clamp puts pressure on the harness.

1 week later
#484 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I was surprised to learn that you don't actually get the Jack the Monkey insert lit unless you start the mode AND hit him again in that incredibly short timeout - something like 10 seconds? Is there any way to change this in the settings? Or is this why everyone hates the monkey?

I don't see anything in the manual to change that setting. For me it is like the Warp Ramp on ST ... I'm either "on" and hit it every time I want or I'm "off" and I can't hit two times in a row to save my life.

1 week later
#542 3 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

Thanks Dave!
Anybody going to Texas Pinball Festival can see it in person !

Unfortunately for me your POTC was sitting in the Back Alley booth area and now my wife's wants her POTC modded with a bunch of his stuff and the ColorDMD ... so much for MY machines

but seriously, that was a great looking machine

#549 3 years ago
Quoted from bigbadmiker:

Would love to see pictures of this machine...

The one shown a couple of posts up was the one I saw at TPF. I didn't take any but it looks even better in person (hard to see all the mods in that pic)

#551 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I like the missing chest mod

Didn't notice that in the pic ..like I said better in person

#553 3 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

Actually, the POTC at TPF wasn't mine (mine is the one pictured above).
Mine 'was' missing the chest until I got to TPF and picked up my repainted one from Back Alley Creations.
It looks super - Matt does awesome work on all his mods!

Ahhhh my fault based on the post I assumed it was the same machine, very similar mods at a glance.

#577 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Anyone have any thoughts on Post 572? Thanks!

Mine does not rest tight against that screw (1/4" ?) not as far back as yours and doesn't seem to have that "springiness" not sure what to suggest, sorry
image_(resized).jpg

#580 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Thanks for the comment and pic pinworthy. It feels like it's the resistance of the plates sandwiched together in the clutch. I'm hoping when I get everything back assembled the motor will take over and set it correctly. I think I will start it in the "ship sunk" position so it has to reset.

I think that would be my plan as well, good luck

10 months later
#1089 2 years ago
Quoted from marmar:

The one thing I have noticed is during play when the ball is shot up the ramp the ball will go up to the compass but it really will not start to spin until after the ball comes back down to the playfield and once the ball is in the play field the pin will come up to lock the ball. I am not sure if this is normal still learning the game play on this pin.

No that isn't normal. First thing I would check is the switch at the bottom of the ramp, make sure that is adjusted and working properly, then look at the optos.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinworthy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside