Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtrimberger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2851 2 years ago

I'm in the club as of last night. Traded for a Pirates for my BK2K which, quite frankly, got boring quickly. My Pirates has seen some use so I think it's going to need a stripdown to clean it up.

Right now I'm hurriedly identifying problems to get in on some Black Friday deals. The ship looks intact and the plastics are dirty but in good shape. No error codes so far but there are definitely some plastic posts and targets that need replacing.

Big question is whats the consensus rubber color? And titans or superbands preferred on this pin?

#2853 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I like Titan Glow in the Dark

I saw that in the Titan kits section. Did you do that for the small post rubbers too or just the big rings? I have to get under the ramps to do some major cleaning so I figured I'd change out all the post rubbers while I was at it.

Also, what color are the L side lights supposed to be above the spinning disc? It looks like someone did a partial LED changeout on my POTC. They didn't change those bulbs however so now half of them are clear and half are clear red. The manual says all red

Finally did the pin normally come with a spotlight on the chest and if yes what color is it? In some manual pics there is a spotlight but in others there is not. My pin has a spotlight pointing towards it from the R orbit but it too was missing a bulb.

Now that I have the flipper working I've got some more time on it and can tell it's going to be a fun pin to play for awhile, much different than my other high paced flow pins.

1 week later
#2857 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I put Glow rubbers on my entire play field. The flipper rubbers snapped and I replaced them with yellow, because that’s what I had. I would also add 2 rubbers middle of the pop bumpers. That one is a pain to replace and likes to break. Additionally, I put frosted reds above the spinner and I believe the standard dome light was clear incandescent. If buying LEDs, get comet non-ghosting.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Would you mind sending a few more pics of your lighting? The person that had mine before me went full clown puke. I'm not completely anti-clown but they've got a bit too much blue behind the ship so the whole upper half is blue green. I don't mind the blue green on the ship itself but mine is a bit too far. I like what I see of your color choices.

Otherwise I have new rubber coming. Had some broken sling arms that are fixed, will be rebuilding flippers but mechanically everything else is good.

The biggest thing is its a former smokers pin. I realized this post purchase though I'm not sure it would have made a difference. There is soot in the pin everywhere so I'm tearing it down to clean all the inside. Also after reading some other posts I'm realizing I should definitely clean the outside, I suspect the Pirates color cabinet color scheme is perfect for hiding that lovely shade of tan of smokers tar.

#2858 2 years ago

Well cleaning the outside of the machine revealed more than I wanted. First there was a lot of soot which is just plain nasty but the machine legit looks better.

Second however is that I now know the machine is a likely re-import from Italy (may explain the smoke). All the serial number tags have Italy as the destination. I should have been clued in on this from the replaced cord. It looks as if someone simply spliced a 3 prong cord onto the original cord. I had previously planned on replacing that with a proper cord going to the power box but now I'm questioning what else may need to be changed in the power box. The machine turns on and has no issues so whoever changed the cord previously may have made all the necessary conversions. For those of you who have done re-imports what else needs converted besides the cord? I've done a forum search but there isn't a lot specific to Stern SAM games so any other ideas are appreciated.

#2863 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I don’t have the machine with me right now. It’s rented till the end of next week. These are all the pics I have now. I can get you more later if you want.
I puked the machine more than some might like. The key for me was to use Comet frosted ice blue bulbs (non ghosting). Also, frosted cool whites for the back of the machine, except red above the spinner[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I put in a order for some ice blue LEDs from pinballbulbs. Probably going to change the top part of the playfield to brighten it up as well, as I noted before that area is a little too blue.

Love your blades and alternate translite, may have to consider that as well. I was going to do my standard mirror blades but those are pretty slick

#2864 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

You need to change the cord, the main fuse and rewire the plug to the transformer for US voltage. That will get you running.
To do a thorough job you need to change the MOV surge suppressor to a 130v device (not critical especially if you use a surge suppressor strip).
I would double check how they rewired the transformer to make sure they did it correctly. You can do it incorrectly and the game will function but it stresses the transformer winding. So best to make sure it was done correctly. Info is in the manual that you can download from stern’s site.

Thanks for the help. I checked and the varistor has not been changed so I'll be replacing that. The fuse also is only a 5A 250V, it also doesn't appear to be a slow blow. The size of it is one of the small ones, 5mm x 20mm(ish) as well. Going to change that out to the 6 x 30 size with a 8A 250V.

I also confirmed that the previous owner just tied in a new cord as the wire colors to the line filter are European.

It does look like the previous owner switched the jumps to the transformer but I need one bit of help on that. It appears the black wire is going to position 3 on the Molex with jumpers at 1 and 2. The white wire is going to position 9 with jumpers on 7 and 8. The manual has this opposite, black to 1, white to 7. On the male side the white connects to various combinations of white orange wiring. On the black side connections are to combinations of black orange. I believe the wiring, although out of position, is still correct. Can anyone snap a pick of that 9 pin connector from the power box to transformer to confirm the transformer side wiring coloring? Much appreciated.

#2866 2 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

Unfortunately it has been out of stock for years, both on Marco and on all the other sites... No one produces this spare part anymore

Has anyone considered trying to mold a version of it? It's pretty intricate so an exact reproduction may be tough but with decent painting and lighting some of those blemishes can be hidden (that's what the wife says about me anyway).

Or is a 3D print doable? I just bought a 3D printer and may try to scan my ship as I clean it. Maybe a good way to start playing with the printer (although pretty complex).

#2873 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

If I understanding you corretly, that wiring arrangement wouldn't work with the stock wiring to the transformer. A jumper on 1-2 does nothing. Black on 3 is one end of one of the primary windings. The problem is white on 9 is the other end of the other primary winding which would not result in a complete circuit. If you are reading the Molex pin numbers correctly, it shouldn't work unless someone re-wired the transformer side of the connector. That will be hard to correct as the manual doesn't have wire colors for that side.

Agree, the manual doesn’t give any info I can find on the wiring colors on the transformer side of that 9 pin connector. Other than incorrect positions the wirining on the power box side matches the “domestic” jumps. I’m in seattle til tonight but will snap a pic when I get home

#2874 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I have an update for those that are waiting patiently for flipper cooling. I have factory production samples of a complete re-design of the Tibetan Breeze flipper coil cooling kit that is necessary for most of the JJP machines (except GnR), so we're getting close to having them available.
I'm going to test/release them for Wonka and jjPotC first since those are the pins that seem to have the most fade (aside from GnR which already has a kit) and therefore the most JJP owner interest. Then I'll work back through Dialed In, Hobbit, and WoZ, hopefully very quickly since this new bracket was designed to work in all of them. Testing on the actual machines will be the only thing slowing each release a bit.
Note:this is only for JJP machines that are not GnR, also not for Spike or Spooky machines. Those use the existing Tibetan Breeze kit.
Testing should start next week, and if all goes well and changes aren't required, we should be a go by the turn of the year.

PinMonk this is the poor mans Pirates group, I think your post is meant for the jjp folks who at this point are actually likely counting their gold

That being said if you want to make this group replacement pirate ships (see above) we would certainly welcome your skills

#2877 2 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

Agree, the manual doesn’t give any info I can find on the wiring colors on the transformer side of that 9 pin connector. Other than incorrect positions the wirining on the power box side matches the “domestic” jumps. I’m in seattle til tonight but will snap a pic when I get home

Alright here’s some pics of the power box to transformer connection. If anybody could send a comparison pic I’d be grateful

335853FD-45CC-4323-8BD6-7CA59683BBAF (resized).jpeg335853FD-45CC-4323-8BD6-7CA59683BBAF (resized).jpeg5BDFE3E6-6483-4DE7-9BD6-4CFE664583DE (resized).jpeg5BDFE3E6-6483-4DE7-9BD6-4CFE664583DE (resized).jpeg76C08E23-39B6-4F6E-85E1-84C0BC03D2B1 (resized).jpeg76C08E23-39B6-4F6E-85E1-84C0BC03D2B1 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#2884 2 years ago

Doing some Pirates maintenance today after getting a lot of play in (loving it) but quick question. When a ball is coming out of your orbits does it get directed to the sling? Both my left and right orbit direct the ball into the mid sling which doesn't seem right. Most orbits on pins will send it back to the flippers. I tried to see if there is any play in the flat rail but there isn't. If I were to try to get a better drop from the orbit what have people done? I was thinking just a thin bit of mylar to redirect it. Thoughts?

#2885 2 years ago

Solved my own question. A small pieced of mylar at the end of the rail changes the drop about 10 degrees which sends the ball to the flipper instead of the sling.

#2888 2 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Just picked up a minty PoTC tonight! Now to figure out this Pinball Browser thing...
Aaaaaaand of course! After a couple of dozen plays all the floods went out and now the upper half of the playfield is unbearably dark. I assume this didn't come stock from Stern with floodlights installed, right? It looks like they're tied to the lights across the top of the playfield at the back (which are also out, and stock, as far as I can tell), but I'm not seeing those under the lamp test. Everything else seems to be working fine. Anyone know which fuse the back playfield lighting is on?

Look at page 99 of the manual. That shows the GI/fuse layout. When I was rebuilding my machine one of the add on spotlights (alligators) someone before me added must have shorted and I blew out the F1 fuse (upper left GIs). The f2 fuse is upper R GIs. Might be something as simple as that.

#2889 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

If anyone in this group is ready to sell their POTC let me know…

I saw your post on facebook as well. I just finished the saga of cleaning mine up so I'm not quite ready to part with it but since you live so close I'll definitely add you to my list, even for a temporary trade. We're in Seattle all the time (kids sports ) so would be easy.

1 week later
#2910 2 years ago

Did the mods sell out already or am I just an idiot and unable to figure out how to buy it off the marketplace?

thanks, the mod looks amazing.

#2926 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

play it a little bit before you go tearing it down to clean the hard to reach areas. The tortuga spinner will flake off white "snow" for the first hundred or so games. It gets everywhere
clean and wax the areas you can get to and enjoy

So you mean I've been blaming the wax I used this whole time? I put a new decal on with my teardown and now I know where its coming from. Those flakes get everywhere but especially on the rubber (slings, flippers). Learn something every day on this site. Thanks

#2927 2 years ago
Quoted from The-Hum:

Hi All,
New to the club as of last night.
The machine i picked up was barely played (bought from the original owner who had it in their basement with shuffle board, pool, and other items)
They never removed the glass or even the coin box. One thing that blew me away was the lack of rust on the balls when my NIB turtles came with rusty balls.
There is a decent amount of dust and such that has accumulated outside of where the ball normally travels so i assume I will need to tear down the Playfield to get all of this out. Any pointers are appreciated.
Something else i noticed was the playfield, while showing zero signs of wear, does not look as shiny or clear coated as modern Sterns. Can anyone share some history or details as to why the look different? Unsure if i should wax it or if some other care is required..?

If you do a teardown everyone on here will agree that you can't possibly take enough pictures. Take them with some order of teardown in mind so that you know to go in reverse order on the rebuild. I found that I needed more broad regional pictures than I took during my most recent teardown. That helps identify which screws and posts were where before you pulled them.

1 week later
#2945 2 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Thanks! Was out of the country. I’ll dig into it this weekend. It looks like most, if not if the GI is out, actually. Must be a fuse or fuses….
Loving the new translite and shooter rod though! [quoted image]

Where's that translite from?

1 week later
#2971 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I asked the guys over at Pinshakers and they said nothing like that exists. (which was surprising since their documentation videos are based on installing the shaker in a PotC machine!) It took me 30 minutes of guessing and trial and error to get it 70% dialed-in (very usable). I may tweak it when I have more time....

Most importantly when you get it dialed in post your settings so when the rest of us buy a Pinshaker can errr... see if we agree.

1 month later
#3100 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/view/id/2012
I don’t claim any artistic breakthrough just went with blue in the lower, red in tortuga, and black in hidden areas.
Beware doing all the posts in this game is a major pita. The post near the liars die saucer requires taking basically everything off to reach. Ship, ramp, etc. the chest was the only mech that didn’t need to be touched

I like that green, didn't think of that. I did primarily blue except for red on the slingshots and flippers. Titan actually has a old yellow that matches that area really well as well.

I see you have the white "dandruff" of a new compass decal as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 218.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtrimberger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club?tu=dtrimberger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.