Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PeterG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#224 8 years ago

Trouble...
I got a PoTC and the flasher of the ship is constant on. So its get power al the time. I traced it back to the backboard, Transistor Q32 and diode D32. Can it be that transistor Q32 is bad? How can I measure? I tried some basics with a DMM on youtube, but I am not sure.
Any help on this, thanks!

#232 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Sure can! Transistors can fail shorted which would cause the flasher to stay on. Decent directions to test a transistor with a DMM can be found here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=general#Testing_a_Transistor.2C_Silicon_Controlled_Rectifier_.28SCR.29_or_Field_Effect_Transistor_.28FET.29
If the transistor needs to be replaced, also replace the associated diode.

Well that did the job, new diode and transistor. Was less work than I had expected.

#233 8 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

If anyone enhances the music or sounds please PM me. Would love to enrich this game even more. Love it

I only included the song he's a pirate at startup and ending with pin browser. The rest I left untouched. Also got a shaker installed, on the ships flasher, great addition.

2 weeks later
#239 8 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

YOU GUYS! You guys! I made it to Gauntlet of Pirates for the first time tonight!
Yes, it's on all the easiest settings with unlimited extra balls. And it took me four balls to complete the compass. But still! Gauntlet of Pirates, you guys! And I scored nine gauntlet points!

Hoping to get there someday, I just can't complete the Heart Multi-ball......

1 month later
#251 8 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Well I just very lightly adjusted screw in top of post and what do you know, it works now.
First game after getting it to work scored 77 million.
I knew something didn't see right before when I would continually shoot the ball up to the spinner only to have it drain right out.
Thanks for the help!

Seems you already fixed it. Best is to replace those opto's as the connections are mostly bad. A new opto is not that expensive and easy to fix. I already did the Ship and top opto on mine because of bad connections.

#254 8 years ago

Same happened to me on my IJ. I just thought it was a quick multiball option, thought I was very good with high scores. Until I played it on a location the way it should be. Tested the switched and also found the inner and outer lane swapped. After that much lower scores

1 month later
#261 8 years ago

Finally after many errors, I changed all opto's around the compass for new ones. Although I could not see anything wrong with them, they just kept making contact and the whole machine went nuts. Finally things work like they should.

1 week later
#272 8 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

Dumb question here, I'm sure but I didn't see anything in the menu structure or manual. Is there a way to turn off the prompt for "Hold Right Flipper for French"?

What is the country setting when you start up? I think it could be a jumper setting.

#282 8 years ago

Heart Multiball is the hardest for me. Just got that three times or so. Davey Jones is not that hard, just keep bashing that ship. The monkey shot can be very frustrating. I never made it to four-winds. It keeps triggering me to get there....

#290 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

seriously can someone tell me if this is a fun pin with great lastability. I never got to play this one more than a couple times, the ship is a great toy and I love the theme however just no idea how deep it is. Here's my Halloween pic to prove I love the theme

IMG-20151028-WA004_(resized).jpg

Well, hard to say. I have it for some time in my collection now. I like movie themed pins. Pirates is one I play now and then, and when I do I just have so much fun. The rules aren't very difficult. It is not a Fast pin! The ball takes some time to get down to the flipper, tortuga shot is taking time, ship takes time, chest shot, all shots get stopped, only the money shot is a direct return shot. So do not expect great 'flow'. For the rest, I like the theme, I changed the main theme song with the He's a Pirate theme. Makes it epic. Heavily modded - ship with cannon fire lights, chest hand painted, figures, extra chest, compass kraken, custom apron. The machine can have it, as the stock version is a bit empty. I will keep it for a long time......

1 week later
#323 8 years ago

Well, I did do red flipper rubbers, it matches the plastics just next to that. Added clear rubbers to the slings. Also did all GI in color, blue, red and green only slings are warm whites.
Added a lot of Zizzle figures, including a Kraken with leds in the eyes and slime in the belly. Check on eBay, you can find a lot there.
Also added a custom apron, had a friend made these and printed on high quality plastic. I like my machines with no cards and stickers.
Added a monkey and custom painted the chest. Added leds to the ship. Added some skulls and chest and a compass.

Still going to add a pirate ship and some additional lighting near the apron. Then the backbox lighting and I am ready.
Personally I do not like the Back Alley stuf, just to clean and a bit to big, but that is just taste.

Happy modding!

IMG_1198_(resized).JPGIMG_1198_(resized).JPG

IMG_1199_(resized).JPGIMG_1199_(resized).JPG

IMG_1200_(resized).JPGIMG_1200_(resized).JPG

IMG_1201_(resized).JPGIMG_1201_(resized).JPG

IMG_1202_(resized).JPGIMG_1202_(resized).JPG

#328 8 years ago

I have two of these aprons left. There not cheap - 55 dollar. You have to cut them yourself, I used a good big scissor. I got mine to cover up the ball lane, as that is not that nice anymore. As said there are printed on plastic - it is white, I coloured the side with a black pen. I would not know what the shipping costs are to get these to the US. There not heavy just big.

IMG_0761_(resized).JPGIMG_0761_(resized).JPG

#329 8 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

I changed the flipper bands to red to match the plastics and changed the bats to black to match the cannons

image_(resized).jpg

I really like that idea, think that will be next on my machine.

#338 8 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Where did you get the Monkey?
thx.

Bought it in eBay, after a lot of searching.

#339 8 years ago
Quoted from bigbadmiker:

Hi, I picked up my POTC about 6 months ago. I've been reading about changing the music with Pinball Browser. Seems pretty cool.
Has anyone done this with their Potc?

I changed the Starting and ending music with the He's a pirate song. Epic....

1 week later
#347 8 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Does anyone know if the cabinet art for this game is available for purchase?

I did not find it anywhere, the art is printed directly on the cabinet. So there are never decals made, but maybe somebody created this and made some nice decals. Otherwise create something yourself.....could be a great project.

#351 8 years ago
Quoted from bigbadmiker:

I finally found that monkey. It just arrived. Series 1 Capt Barbossa. Paid about $20 for it.

image_(resized).jpeg

20 bucks for an irritating Monkey seems ok

#353 8 years ago
Quoted from bigbadmiker:

Yep, $20 is fine. Been looking for awhile. This will be a nice addition.

Well it fits perfect on the monkey shot, I really like the addition. There are more versions of the monkey around, but this one is the perfect one. Enjoy!

#356 8 years ago
Quoted from lash:

Did anyone had Made an good Pin Sound for the Potc?

I only changed the start and end music with he's a pirate. The rest is the same.
Sounds great.

#371 8 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Please post the photo installed.

I already posted this earlier

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#426 8 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Excellent advice. I'm not familiar with the test menu in a POTC, is there a quick way to check for errors?

I would check the Dot matrix - there is a test in the menu, so you can spot any inconsistencies or dead 'pixels'.
I had some problems with the opto's, there are a lot of these in the game (ship, chest, commas (2). The attached cable (solder) is not good on the original ones. New ones are not that expensive but it will take some time to install. If you do one, do them all is my advice.
Most of the games the shooter lane is damaged, you can do some retouch. Most of the games have a broken big ramp. The problem is when the ball comes back on the gate and drops into the right lane to the flipper. The gate is mounted on the plastic ramp and that will brake...I have not seen many of pirate machines that not have a broken ramp on that point. Most are repaired with some additional metal parts.
Rest, check the ship, up and down.
Did mine with leds just in the GI, not in the playfield, I like it the way it is, gets you a more old pirate theme. If you would go with led in the playfield, check an OCD controller, seems to work best. Otherwise the leds will seems 'restless'.

For the rest, great machine and go for it....yoho yoho....

#449 8 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Thanks for the comment. Figured it may be easier to just post a video than try to explain. Any help is appreciated!
» YouTube video

There are a lot of things wrong with that ship. The movement 'rocking' and sails are not what it should be. I would take it all apart to see what is happening.

#456 8 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Stomach drop... this was what I was afraid of. I don't mind the taking apart and rebuilding as I'm going to be doing a full tear down, clean, and wax, but the idea that the ship isn't operating correctly and needs to be rebuilt with new parts hits me in the gut as the motor alone costs approx. $200. Does it appear to be a high cost problem or maybe just a clean and wire check/solder from your experience?
Also, does anyone have a video of how the ship should move? And, since it may have been taken apart before, and put back together, does anyone have any pics of when they did a tear down that they could put on a CD and send to me (mainly of the ship, but if you have the whole game, that'd be even better)? I'd gladly paypal shipping.

Don't think it is the motor as yours is working, just not all the way or in the way it should work.
Shop motor and ship itself is easy to take out. Just unscrew the sails and the hull, get the whole motor and mechanism out. I would check that first, you will see where it is getting stuck. Don't fear the repair, just start it and get on, you will be amazed what you can do yourself. Just put all screws neatly together, and remember where to put them, if you are not sure, take a lot of pictures in the process. Good luck.

1 week later
#472 8 years ago

Well the super duper shot happened to me twice since I own the machine. First time I was scared about the noise it made, thought something was wrong, later to realize that was the shot.

#474 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Has anyone changed out flipper coils or anything to make their flippers stronger? My right flipper seems a little weak AMD the tortuga shot regular doesn't make it. Or do I just suck and it had to be a clean shot?

Nope, mine is ok, although sometimes when you just not hit it correct, you just do not make the shot but that is the charm of it. Thing is that that will almost always end in a SdtM drain. So there is a risk with the shot. A clean shot always makes it there, some for the jack the money shot. If you do not hit that correct, it lies still on top, small bump to get it going.

#502 8 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

#501 baby. It's nice to to see the POTC club building a base.

I like quality over quantity

#503 8 years ago

After installing two new flippers my test game was awesome. 435k but no four winds. Just can't get the heart super ball, i get the multiball Rolling and try to shoot the chest 5 more times. I had it together with tortuga and davey Jones multiball so plenty of shots, but for some reason as you come down to your final ball the heart multiball quits, so many grrrr....
Epic game however with all those balls flying around and davey jones on his organ.

Other question....when installing new flippers, I locked them really thighs, broke my made in China tool, but sometimes one just seems loose and the angle changes, any tips on that?

#513 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Sounds like color DMD on the horizon

I have seen a color screen in a potc before. Thought that was a colordmd.

I checked - is the work of Sironzelot from Germany - see other thread - POTC SMART DMD
I guess it runs on the same hardware.

#522 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Nope. Not the same hardware.

Yep, I checked the smart did thread, seems interesting, price is much better but you have to do a lot yourself. Still wondering what to do....

#523 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Has anyone been tempted to build a complete collection of Pirate-themed DMDs? It's just POTC, Hook and Black Rose, to my knowledge.

Nope, didn't try but I have a good movie collection with POTC, IJ, TRON, SM and CFTBL, and a T2 ready to be build.

1 week later
#536 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Has anyone been tempted to build a complete collection of Pirate-themed DMDs? It's just POTC, Hook and Black Rose, to my knowledge.

I just discovered another pirate pin - Jolly Roger from Williams. Maybe there are more pirate themed pins?

#540 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

There are a few more, but his original post was for a Pirate themed collection of "DMD" games.
With EM games there is also Pirate Gold, Buccaneer, Captain Hook, Captain Kid, High Seas, Ship Ahoy . . . .

I see you are a sailor

#550 8 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

The one shown a couple of posts up was the one I saw at TPF. I didn't take any but it looks even better in person (hard to see all the mods in that pic)

I like the missing chest mod

#555 8 years ago

I got the posts under the bumpers replaced by yellow star post from bally/Williams. They look so much better, but that is all I did.

#561 8 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Peter I think that's a great idea now that I'm looking at mine. Does anyone know if the black sling plastics from the start of this thread are available anywhere?
https://images.pinside.com/4/98/498903fa0a6784bb72090a14fd56efe2d750f38a/resized/large/498903fa0a6784bb72090a14fd56efe2d750f38a.jpg

Check post 323 for pictures of the posts

#573 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Just joined the club! I'm very fortunate to have found a perfect unmolested example. It looks like it just came out of the box! I think it looks great with incandescents but I will probably end up going with LEDs that don't change the art. Can someone with LEDs in the inserts speak to how they look? Does it need the LED OCD treatment?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Beautiful machine, I did mine in led but only the GI. I did not do the playfield and the backboard, I like the old school like, goes with the theme. I never did something with OCD but it should be great. I think just with led it seems very 'nervous',again the incandescent lights are nice with the pirate theme.

1 week later
#616 8 years ago

I got the sneeze guard off, never had an airball in all my plays.

#648 8 years ago

Any way to share this work with the community?

#652 8 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Yeah swampfire she's starting to get to me as well. Will a Stern RevB or RevC shaker motor kit work in a POTC I don't see it on the game compatible list.

Do not know if that will work. I added a special shaker kit someone made. The shaker is the same, the control takes 12V and the signal from the flasher behind the kraken. In that way it works best. You can alter the time of shaking on the board, I played around with that setting before I got it right. To much and the shaker is going just on, as the signal is a flasher with fast on and off. Do not know if these are sold in the US?

4 weeks later
#699 7 years ago

Good solution, never had an air ball though...

1 month later
#743 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Just ordered back alley cannons L,R. Decks
Etc today.
I found the pinbrowser movie music online. But changed some other tunes that I think make it better. And I stole the Klingon "jacpot" from ST and added it to the jackpots on potc.
Now it screams jackpot at you with cannon noises. Rather than the bland fireworks.
And added movie Tortuga music. Also changed the yo-ho jig music to Davie Jones organ movie music.
Game over music too.
Such a great pin. Under rated for sure.

or a share of the file so we can install that our self?

2 weeks later
#751 7 years ago

I only did the GI with colored leds. That looks great, IMHO. The playfield I left as is, just planning to paint some of the incandescent bulbs to get some extra color. The mirrors are a must and the shaker too.
I added a red strip of leds under the apron to get a red glow, also did the ship with leds in the cannons, that one is my favorite.

#755 7 years ago

I love what you did with the place How did you make these?

#759 7 years ago

I like the red plastic sword. If you buy a plastic set it is included.
The idea of the plastic under the popbumper is great. I had never any balls up there in many plays.

#761 7 years ago

Not a fan of the Backalley mods but if they would do a Kraken...who knows.

3 months later
#818 7 years ago

I have a version with the begin and the end music replaced by He's a Pirate from the movie. I have done that with pinbrowser. Easy job to do.

1 week later
#831 7 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Kraken mod Inspired by Piperboy.

I like your Kraken, where did you get that? I could not find Piperboy on the forum?

4 weeks later
#868 7 years ago

The main ramp is not that difficult. If you want to make sure you do it correct, make lots of photo's of the process.
But for all I can see it is just unscrew the ramp and put the new on it. The only electrical items on there are the lamp at the top.

4 weeks later
#910 7 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

Wish I could answer that for you. Prior owner had attached him, as well Bootstrap and Davy Jones

Looks like the Zizzle ones in 4" - check eBay on those, lots of variants available. For me those are to big, I like the 2" ones from sizzle, also on eBay.

#914 7 years ago

But personally I like these better, IMHO.

ebay.com link: Lot of 4 Packages of Disney Pirates of the Carribbean 2 Figures Zizzle 2006

Check post #323 for pictures

3 weeks later
#960 7 years ago

Funny to see how people have problem with DJ while that is one I get almost each game, while heart multiball for me is the pain....And if I have both then the F...ing monkey is the problem. In that way I never ever completed the compass in two years now;-( It will happen one day....

#978 7 years ago

That is some great strategy.
Like it's better to have the tortuga first end then the ship multiball, to take advantage of the drain timer. Never realized that.
Is there a timer on hearts multiball or does it just stop when 1 ball left? I never noticed as I am to focused to get the completion.

#981 7 years ago

Ok focused today on heart jackpot. Always missing one.....aaargh

20170121_143558 (resized).jpg20170121_143558 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#997 7 years ago

Yes, the pirate vallen me yesterday. Starten with ball one, a total disaster. But then ball two....direct four wind multiball! Some great tortuga multiballs and even the heart multiball worked all in my favorite. Finally after two year owning this machine the end game. I came to the third wind. It was crazy.... great game!

#999 7 years ago

I have only the final score. Once you got four winds and the ball drains the compass is reset and you can start all over again....

20170203_173956 (resized).jpg20170203_173956 (resized).jpg

#1026 7 years ago

I had only one airball in two years of playing. That was during tortuga multiball. I do not thinks it was from a pirate target but more from two balls crashing into eachother. I removed the sneeze guard so had to get the ball out of there since it landed next to the ramp near the ship.

#1041 7 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Need a little help please. I am noticing I am getting balls added to quickly during the 10 second countdown during multiball. Balls are ejected into the shooter lane before I have shot a ball up into the spinner area during the countdown. Do the optos at the top of the ramp need to be checked or adjusted?
Thanks

That would be my first place to look. For some reason the machine thinks a ball is added in the tortuga bowl. So probably a bad opto. Happened to me, resulted in a monster score though. Best is to buy a new opto, will set you back 5$ or so. Will you are at that, replace the opto in de bowl as well. I had all my opto's replaced over time, the originals used are not that great.

#1056 7 years ago

I am not in it for the points, I am in it for completing the compass. But that is with all my games, just trying to get to the end of it. So I have a different strategy than tournament players. Thats why I like POTC, It has clear goals and an endgame that can be made. Unlike other machines where I never ever came close to completing it.

#1074 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Would any POTC owners be interested in a pop cap mod? I always found the plain red pop caps pretty boring and out of place with the rest of the playfield which is loaded with custom stuff.
If anyone has seen Hookeds pop cap sets or Zitts Stsr Trek caps, I was considering something like those with laser cut design - off the top of my head I was thinking Aztec coin design, finished in gold with white or yellow acrylic behind allowing light to shine through coin design - was thinking cool white light to replicate the moon light from the films.
Thoughts?

I do not like anything flat, so laser cut is not my thing. I like the popbumpers on Aliens, the 3d eggs. Piles of gold coins/treasure on top of the cap. When you use a clear cap or yellow one, that would look great. Just brainstorming...

#1080 7 years ago

I did new ones, just to make sure, or just lazy.

#1088 7 years ago

I would really like to add some gold mini coins and two mini figures on that that battle in a sword fight. Just like the treasure room scene from the movies. That way also the sword fight is correct in that area.
I have also still an idea for adding a port at the left side. Like the buildings from back alley on spider man but then a port theme from pirates. I just do not know where to start? 3D print that?

1 week later
#1107 7 years ago

Direct on the right flipper, just in front of the sling. No bounce.

1 week later
#1111 7 years ago

Does anyone know where i can get the sticker for the main ramp? Does anybody have that mai ramop incl decal for sale?

#1114 7 years ago

I see that it is part of the decal set - not cheap but I need to buy that anyway for other parts. I go try that first. If not succesful, I think a scan will do. But I will let you know. Thanks for the help.

#1115 7 years ago

Other question. The jack the monkey light is attached to the plastic witha rivet. Now I know a normal rivet but that has a hole in the middle. What kind of tool or technique is used to get this kind of rivet. The same is used for the ramp flaps.

2 weeks later
#1135 7 years ago

What is that popbumper for on the right sling?

2 weeks later
#1154 7 years ago

Does anyone has the main ramp decal and sword fight decal in PDF so I can print my own. Otherwise I need to buy the whole decal set

1 week later
#1162 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

I also joined the POTC club since a week now! This is also my first pin and I'm very happy with it!
I still stuck gameplay wise and am not even close to four winds multiball yet. It's probably a matter of keep practicing I guess...
I'm trying to practice my shots now, and it seems that I've nailed the chest shot from the right flipper now. BUT! It doesn't seem to register all the time!
Is this just part of the gameplay rules or might there be something wrong with my machine? The "key" opto registers all the time, so it even adds letters to "K-E-Y" when the balls doesn't fully go into the chest. But when the ball gets locked inside the chest, it doesn't open up a lot of the time. So I miss out a lot of letters from "H-E-A-R-T", even when I'm correctly shooting in the chest.
It looks to me that the chest only contains an opto and a "switch lock" switch. So I did some diags on those switches but they seem to register all the time when I press them.
It seems to me that if the "switch lock" switch wasn't registering register correctly, the pin to release the ball from the chest wouldn't be lowered as well?
Thanks for your help!

Great game. If you need any help let me know. I am in the neighboorhood... in Son.
About the chest. Only when key is lit then the chest opens. It can be that the shot is to strong and bounces back. That happens. I guess it is about 90% a hit in the chest. If it is locked in the chest it will return via the lane on the right. The opto's on this seem to be prone to failure. Most of the time it is just the connection.

#1168 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Thanks! Will keep that in mind!

I know. Took the glass of and repeatedly put the ball inside the chest. First complete K-E-Y (works 100% = opto is fine) then wanting to complete H-E-A-R-T. But the chest only opens about 1 of 3/4 times. So it takes about 15-20 shots to start Heart Multiball instead of 6 shots.
Thought this was part of the code ("stick to the code!") but it appears there's something wrong with the chest switch.
Any tips on accessing it easily?

Check switch #6 which is just above the playfield before the chest plunger. There should also be a gate to ensure the ball does not return via the chest but via the plunger going down.

#1169 6 years ago

Also if you did not do so already. Download the manual. Just google.

#1174 6 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I'd be happy to share. Thanks for the kind words!
» YouTube video

Those looks nice. Never did led in the playfield. But I think when you do the superflux no ghosting ones you would be ok.

2 weeks later
#1181 6 years ago

So I bought a shiny new ramp. Any suggestions how to prevent the cracking near the gate that prevents the ball to return to the shooterlane. Best would be not attach that gate to the ramp but I see no other options to mount it to.

1 week later
#1190 6 years ago

I have some problems with the ships sails. In the test mode they seem to go down correct. So the solenoid is working. Then in game it just is not working 100%. Most of the times the sails won't go down. The other solenoid that make the sails shake seems to work correct. Any ideas or suggestions to solve this issue?

#1192 6 years ago

I got it all loose and removed. But I do not see anything bent or missing. I will take the mini solenoid apart and clean all. See if that helps.

#1194 6 years ago

I think it is mechanical. I changed the mini coil and checked in a second potc machine. So it must be something on the coil sleeve or mechanism. Although i do not see anything strange.

#1200 6 years ago

So replaced the wire seems that the solenoid is ok. Lubed the whole system, ensured wires are not blocking the sails. I still need to test some more in game. Hope that it's ok

1 month later
#1262 6 years ago

The motor of the ship seems to be out of order. I checked if I got 20v on the connector, it was ok, I checked on the contact points of the motor, now it is 12v which is correct. How could I test just the motor to be sure?
Direct assign in to the 12v on the right side of the cabinet (the free one)?
Should it then at least make some noise?

#1264 6 years ago

On the motor it says 12v 20rmp. After checking I will see if I can only buy a new motor on ebay and not the whole unit for $180. Thanks for the tip on the 9v battery, that is very easy to check.

3 weeks later
#1282 6 years ago

You must remove the Vuk wire first. Then you can remove the main ramp. Before you can remove the wire you remove that plastic above it. It really shoul all come of without force.

#1284 6 years ago

Well you should be able to remove the 2 bolts that attaches the VUk to the ramp. Problem is mostly that the nut under the ramp rotates with it. But it is possible.Then you can remove the VUK and completely remove the ramp.

1 month later
#1317 6 years ago

Check the opto's, sounds like an opto is going crazy, had that once. Check the connection on the opto's these go bad after a while.
In the switch test you should be able to see that one switch is going crazy.

#1328 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

A totally off-topic question but is there any way to get notified if someone posts a reply in a particular thread like this one? I'm quite new to Pinside and hate browsing to all the threads I'm interested in to see if there're any new responses.

You can select Topics which you viewed or topics in which you posted. When you select Hide Idle on - you will only see topics in which activity is. You can also set this topic as favorite, then you view topics marked as your favorites - also put hide idle on.
That are the options. No email notifications.

#1336 6 years ago

Ok so you want the lights from the topper to start with your machine.
Indeed in the cabinet there is an extra 5 / 12 volt molex, you can use that. There is also an option in the backbox but I have to check that. To get from 5 to 4,5 you only get in a resistor (weerstand) it is only a small one of around 27 Ohms (red, purple, black, (gold))
You could do more but then the leds will not burn as bright. Next restistor is 33 Ohms (orange, orange, black). Happy modding!

#1339 6 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

I've just joined the club (haven't received the game yet).
Is it the done thing to remove the plastic screens from around the ship in the home environment ?

Yes

#1351 6 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

My POTC white wood playfields.

Why? Are you going for a custom playfield design....that would be awesome!

2 weeks later
#1397 6 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Hope to be a member soon, any tips on what to look at on a routed one?

Nice one in germany.

http://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/showthread.php?t=187870

2 weeks later
#1444 6 years ago

Potc is a great game, JJPOTC Will be a great game, can not be compared only the theme is the same. What other game has a ship that sinks in the playfield? The call outs, and I used the movie music, so very happy with mine. JJPOTC will be a great game with the ship, canon and mealstrom, so can’t be compared other that some of the same persons on the field. The Star wars games can also not be compared. Each will holds it own value.

#1454 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

Is there a skill shot on this game?

Yes, Short plunge, from the right flipper to left treasure lane. Super Duper skill shot 20 million.

#1456 6 years ago

Welkom bij de club....Welcome to the club...

#1465 6 years ago

Best way to start a game of pirates....

#1471 6 years ago

Yes my pincave is open for equally minded people.....But also see me at the DPO. I will be with the crew as I am organizing the event....

#1474 6 years ago

That me

#1492 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

There is another Pinside user who managed to pull this off but he doesn't want to supply the MP3 files for some (obvious?) reason.

What did he do? I just changed the main and end sequence. With an MP3 that is exact the same length (with Audicity).

1 week later
#1535 6 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

aztec gold pops

I made those with eyes cut out. Real nice.

20170703_001017 (resized).jpg20170703_001017 (resized).jpg

#1537 6 years ago

Mine are the cheap gold necklace ones from eBay. They are metal

#1539 6 years ago

I took a Dremel with a graph pin. The metal is really soft.

#1542 6 years ago

now yours look much better....

2 weeks later
#1556 6 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

i put it in a lesser brightnes for the pics
brightness and contrast are adjustable
i bought it because my original had lines, other option is pin2dmd this is also led but i dont think colloration is ready for it

There is a color file for pin2dmd. But I have to say, the colorDMD version is better.

#1557 6 years ago

I have LED in almost all my games. On IJ it is great, on SM it is great on Tron it is ok, the colorset for Tron is very blue.
I have an anti glare filter on all my games so the brightness of the LED is not a problem. I like the dots, I like the form factor for the LED, it is just a one on one replacement. I like that the screen is really black. I agree 350 or 400 is a hefty price, but after time it just is the way to go. I just need one for POTC and Creature for now, so saving up, just a matter of time.

3 weeks later
#1592 6 years ago

Well it needs some work. Don’t think it’s a huo. It al comes down what you think is ok. I would not pay over 2.5k euro for that. I would change the main ramp (has cracks) new compas decal, probably new plastic set, new compas cover, new leeft ramp, new rubbers, posts, new decal set, lights seems out on the video, you need to test the ship, tortuga multiball, possibly change all optos, lockbar. So that would be a nice winter project.

#1595 6 years ago

Mind that a good huo machine will set you back around 4 - 4.5K. So a fixer up needs to be way less as you can easily spend 1000 euro and all the work you need to do.

#1600 6 years ago

Sorry to much for that machine...imho

#1601 6 years ago
Quoted from Tjohejsan:

Hello
I have a Hard time to decide.
I have a really nice wh2o, as i can trade for a potc in nice condition?
Should i trade?

That is a hard trade...wh2o is a fantastic machibe. It is for me a goto machine. But trading my potc for that......I would really look to keep them both.
But if you really have to choose I would go for wh2o. Artwork, gameplay and layout win. Potc has a great theme and call outs. But more a stop and go play. While wh2o has more flow.

#1624 6 years ago

I did undercab lighting, just plain red. You see it when you walk up to the machine, it gives a nice glow. I made it myself. Off course you can order cab lighting which interacts with the game but I never notice that anyway when I play, it all eyes on the ball

2 weeks later
#1658 6 years ago

there should be a compass decal on the disc.....

3 weeks later
#1693 6 years ago

For the ones looking for some nice custom sounds for your POTC

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-potc-custom-codes#post-4200400

#1695 6 years ago

Hi welcome. Great first machine. No that is not normal.

#1700 6 years ago
Quoted from Gleger:

My ramp is cracked exactly at that spot. What are the additional metal parts that people use to fix this? Any example somewhere?

All is home made. I do not know of any solution for sale.

3 weeks later
#1708 6 years ago

This is europe.
I would start with 4300 euro but maybe you end up around 4k. Topper is no extra. Some will like it some won't. No other extra like colordmd, mirrorblades? Sound upgrades like flipper fidelity?

1 week later
#1711 6 years ago

Upgraded my Kraken

1520977460656567094714 (resized).jpg1520977460656567094714 (resized).jpg

#1713 6 years ago

Yes rubber ones from ebay, five pack. Painted them with darkgreen model paint. Tamiya. They are bright light green. I always like to weather plastics. They did come out nice. Placed some additional lights below the kraken to light things up.

#1716 6 years ago

Here the link, was on Amazon, not Ebay.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FT8WUZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

the paint you can also buy at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/TAMXF62-81762-Acrylic-Mini-Olive/dp/B009ACS632/ref=sr_1_6

I mixed mine with some grey and bright green I already had , to give it more depth.

#1718 6 years ago

Is til have to order some warm white bendies and will experiment to get the best result. Pirates is a bit of dark in that area, so considering to add a spotlight in that part. Any one did cover up the spotlight on the field. I know you have barrels for the Hobbit but are very expensive. Any other ideas?

#1721 6 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Thanks for the idea Peter!!!

Love this machine and all the possible modifications. Looking good!

#1723 6 years ago

Oh painting and weathering is easy, there are some great youtube video on than. This one from Adam Savage is great:

This one is also great

So just start, can't go wrong. And if you bought the five pack, you have some parts to practice.

#1725 6 years ago

The kraken part is this one

http://images.collector-actionfigures.com/AF-141961_a3e384c0-2e6f-11df-8650-001ee5d7ff66_00.jpg

Search on google Zizzle Kraken Slime.
I drilled the eye out and added a led that is attached to the flasher at the back of the kraken plastic on the playfield.
I lighted the slime with some leds, I have seen versions with a flasher dome there, but I liked to keep the slime, It will dry out and will get hard but looks great. I have the Jack figure that jumps into him, like in the second movie.

#1727 6 years ago

I have created a Davy Jones key myself. I attached it to the back board where the key is. So it is now a 3d version.
Problem is that almost nobody notices it Still think to light it from the back on the 3rd light of K-E-Y.

#1728 6 years ago

20170703_000758 (resized).jpg20170703_000758 (resized).jpg

#1736 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

And I did that as well But placed the at the top of the slings.

I need to do that.

2 weeks later
#1757 6 years ago

I know there are two types of playfield. One is more dark blue at the edges while the other one is a lighter color. Also the map is different. Just all together a different print. I do not know which one is the first run and which is second.

#1759 6 years ago

I will check later, make some pictures of the differences. The old one I sold, with the lighter blue, but looks like the one on pinball news is the lighter version.

#1761 6 years ago

Here is mine. Compas has a different color. Catch the wind is different.

20180417_173519 (resized).jpg20180417_173519 (resized).jpg

20180417_173511 (resized).jpg20180417_173511 (resized).jpg

#1762 6 years ago

15239795067021524056002 (resized).jpg15239795067021524056002 (resized).jpg

#1763 6 years ago

You see the dark blue

#1790 5 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

yohoho and a bottle of.... black pearl

Love the ship, where did you get that?

2 weeks later
#1816 5 years ago

I put some rubber rings on the screws to attach the wireform on the ramp. Hope that helps. On my old ramp I had the sheet metal under the ramp. That worked.

2 weeks later
#1835 5 years ago

I am looking for a decal for the backbox speaker area. I do not want the wood 3d one but just an cheaper decal. Anyone designed something or has something for sale. Something that matches with the translite art?

1 week later
#1840 5 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

where can you get that translite?

I think here.....http://www.gameroom-parts.nl/Translites---Decals/Pirates-of-the-Caribbean/

1 month later
#1871 5 years ago

Did anybody do an alternatieve backplate for pirates? So not the map and the ugly palmtree?

1 week later
#1881 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Hoping to pick up a reasonable price Stern POTC once the new one from JJ hits

I doubt that the new JJP pirates is an alternative or competitor.The JJP has the same theme but there are more pirate themed pinballs out there. Stern POTC is so different next to the JJP and has it's own share of fans. I doubt if prices due to the JJP will lower? I think prices will lower in time due to the sheer amount of new pinball machines coming to the market and this will finally top of the market. And people will want to swap some games in time.

#1883 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Ever since JJP posted photos of the new pirates on the line, there has been an uptick in ads for the Stern here on Pinside.

Maybe, I did not count, but not cheaper, still very expensive.

#1885 5 years ago

I just do not understand why people are saying when that they are the same so one is enough. It is like Star Wars or Star Trek, each machine is different, different era, different shots, different code, designer, etc. If you have the space, keep them both. One does not exclude the other. I understand that if you have an AFM and now an AFMr you could let go of one.

1 week later
#1897 5 years ago

That is a great first game. Potc was my second game. Now start to mod.....just added these spotlights i made.

20180809_231933 (resized).jpg20180809_231933 (resized).jpg20180809_231939 (resized).jpg20180809_231939 (resized).jpg20180809_231948 (resized).jpg20180809_231948 (resized).jpg20180809_232009 (resized).jpg20180809_232009 (resized).jpg
#1900 5 years ago

nope....playmobil

#1902 5 years ago
20180813_175724 (resized).jpg20180813_175724 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1904 5 years ago

My favorite thread, love all the modding going on here. I am still busy with a big piece....is getting real nice

#1905 5 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Topper reaching completion
[quoted image][quoted image]

You need a Kraken

2 weeks later
#1914 5 years ago

I think wear in the shooterlane is almost unavoidable. The black is always the first that is touched.

2 weeks later
#1927 5 years ago

the monkey is fixed with tape (we cal that double sided tape here). Since this guy weights nothing it will sit there nicely

2 months later
#1990 5 years ago

Is it the ship? Maybe rubbing somewhere?

#1991 5 years ago

There are also two posts that pop up. Both white plastic in my machine. One with the ship, one with the chest. Check those on damage.

2 months later
#2025 5 years ago

I bought the shaker which is connected to the ship flasher, I like it a lot. It rumbles when you hit the ship and when it sinks.

1 month later
#2047 5 years ago

I have color changers in them.

1 month later
#2061 4 years ago

Now I have a gun

20190416_222656 (resized).jpg20190416_222656 (resized).jpg
#2065 4 years ago

The gun is just a plunger. So no connecting to the auto launcher. Also I would not want that because you need to half plunge most of the time to get the Super Duper Skill shot and quickly add ball to for Tortuga Multiball.

#2066 4 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I assume that's an apron magnet. Where did you get it?

It is not a Magnet but printed on thick plastic. That is a custom made one, a friend did that for me.

1 month later
#2071 4 years ago

My POTC gives an service error on Switch D-27 Dipswitch 3? What can that be? I think I set that, to have it on Dutch settings. But wonder if there is anytrhing wrong with that. I could not find D-27 in the manual?

3 months later
#2161 4 years ago

I got the shaker about 3 years ago. Working on the flasher of the ship. Very cool effect on the kraken, extra ball, etc.

2 months later
#2171 4 years ago

I know one version with voices from the movies.

2 weeks later
#2186 4 years ago

Well software opdates on POTC is via USB. So get the latest code of the stern site and upload it. Use dipswitch 8, it is in the manual. For the rest what to look for on a POTC. If the ship runs well, the display has no pixels out, the ramps, right ramp is mostly broken, shooter lane is almost always bad, Compass decal can be worn, check the opto's. For the rest I think no issues. Motor for the ship, gearbox and motor for compass plus ramps are expensive. The rest can be fixed easily with less costs.

#2189 4 years ago

I have a version potc0600DS2.bin

#2192 4 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

Very very Thanks, the right ramp is broken... The rest should be fully functional, logically everything is to be clean ed, the board are in repair[quoted image]

the right ramp is also missing the return blocking gate, seems it completely broke of. That is one dirty machine....

2 months later
#2215 4 years ago

never happened here, in 5 years owning this machine. Nor any of my friends with POTC.

2 weeks later
#2261 4 years ago

I have the LED version, I like it a lot, I like the dots and the brightness. Black is really black. Personally I do not care about the high res modes etc.

4 weeks later
#2277 3 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

Hi
I'm going to buy this, the new spinning disk sticker do you remove the remains of the old one or apply it directly on top?
https://www.pinball.center/de/shop/flipperspezifisch/pirates-of-the-caribbean-stern/3702/disc-decal-fuer-pirates-of-the-caribbean-802-5001-92

Beware, it is a cheap repro. Not that good. Although it is way in the back of the machine. So just know thai si not a good one, I was a bit dissapointed. For application, I would remove the old, clean and then stick it on there. There are also clear rough disc that go on top for more ball grip.

If you need an original I think Stern sells them in Europe via KMS -
https://www.kms-handel-shop.de/de/pirates-of-the-caribbean-decals-spinning-disk-compass-802-5001-92_38250_9806

1 week later
#2287 3 years ago

I used bakingpaper to difuse it. Works great.

#2296 3 years ago

check post #1499 for the baking paper option.

#2303 3 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

I installed the white baking paper in the heart and the speaker panel, I am very satisfied. Many thanks to you all That you recommended the solutions for the heart

#2308 3 years ago

Is your plunger really straight? Not bended, happened to me once. Rotate the plunger to see if that helps. If so then the plunger is not straight anymore.

#2317 3 years ago

I have a ocd board lying but affraid to start the upgrade.

#2319 3 years ago

Do not knwo if the process of install is hard? I just have the board, no instructions, do not know exactly what to do?

#2325 3 years ago
Quoted from Leosclam:

Anyone else ever experienced this? About 40% of the time I hit the ship, when the pin holding the ball goes down, the ball comes out and hits the edge of the green piece of plastic (pirate target,) and the ball rolls, from there, directly in between the two flippers. Anyone have any ideas?

Check your level, adjust it untill it does noet go STDM

3 months later
#2434 3 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

Does anyone who painted the back of the heart in the chest have a picture showing how much white paint they used? I would also like to see a picture of the heart being illuminated after this mod. Thanks.

I did not paint it, I used baking paper to difuse the light. Works great and easy to get out if do not want it anymore.

#2437 3 years ago

I painted it myself, get some good acryllic paint markers. Works great.

6D74BB71-762D-4D93-821C-57474A0E9547 (resized).jpeg6D74BB71-762D-4D93-821C-57474A0E9547 (resized).jpeg
#2441 3 years ago
Quoted from Mahoneyj:

Where did you get that wine barrel spot light? Looks great.

Made that myself. Used playmobil barrels, paint and added element of mini spotlight in it.

7015225 (resized).jpg7015225 (resized).jpgmini_flashlight__51815.1354809148 (resized).jpgmini_flashlight__51815.1354809148 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2450 3 years ago

10500 for a Stern POTC, I will sell mine

1 week later
#2482 3 years ago

1) I’d like to switch lamps to LEDs. Any particular place have the best kit? I was looking at Comet Pinball.
I did on ly the Gi in color, but the rest is still incandescent, for the look and feel, but Comet has great leds, maybe try some first to see if you like the digital nature of the leds. Even the non ghosting, dimming etc ones do not feel like incandescnets.
2) Is there something about the battery I need to check/fix?
No, if it looks fine it should be ok.
3) Pinstadium lights worth it?
That is hard to say, they are expensive but a great product, you can also build yourself some 'poor man's stadium lights' there is a topi con this on pinside. On PoTC using pinstadium there will be a lot of reflection of the leds in the ramps. There is now a difused version but have not seen that in person.
4) Anything I should check on the spinning disc or ship (I know both function as they should)?
Just check the ship and disc in a game. Yes wear on the decal is an attention point, also some ships are really bashed up at the front.
5) I know the auto plunge is not working. I hear a click and ball barely moves so I need to dig into the cause but any thoughts off hand?
as Schwaggs said.
6) Any other suggestions?
Check the ramps, most PoTC have a broken ramp, some are fixed other just left broken. New ramps are out there but expensive. Start modding your machine, remove the sneeze guard, check on airballs I have never had one but there seems to be persons here that have airballs and there is a plastic for that. For the rest enjoy the pirates life!

3 weeks later
#2493 3 years ago

I just send you some code. You can loose the sneezeguard especially in a home environment only.

#2497 3 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

Play it safe and add Maffewl's PotC Airball Deflector

Personally, in 5 years of play I never had one airball. So think this will be game specific.

#2500 3 years ago

Anyone that would like v9, please send me an email where I can send the file to. I will use wetransfer since it is too big.
V9 is a version with movie quotes in it, also has He's a pirate song at the start of a ball and the end of a game. And once you beat the Kraken there is a song Yo-ho which is now the one from the Disney ride.

1 month later
#2544 3 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

So is it possible to connect the 2 LEDs to the GI using an external power supply?

there is a power connector on the right side in the cabinet. You can use that. If you use leds you can also tap in on the GI. You can solder it on the connection, or use alligator clips. Comet has lamps that piggyback power with a whole set of connections to it. Just replace a lamp in the backboard and you have 6.3v ready there. So old Stern games have I think the GI on 6.3v while the new SPike system runs on 5v. If you use own small leds you need to check what kind of resistor you need in between so your leds wont burn, but If you use like 4 leds in serie then you will already be good to go.
Using the GI in this game to use for powering like 2 or 4 leds will not result in any damage since the current on the old incandescant lights is way higher than 2 or 4 leds. Especially when a lot of the GI is already in LED.

#2545 3 years ago
Quoted from huwman:

It's the potc0600YoHoV4b.bin that's on the other thread. Has anyone else installed that? I love the changes but will revert back to the official code to see if that makes a difference. It had a lower version official code installed when I got it, and I don't remember the issue then - but I didn't really understand the rules then so might not have been paying attention!

I do not know that code but looking at the naming it is a v6 POTC code adjusted with just own music (probably Yoho diffenrt music when kraken is defeate). I do not know of software that can change rules. Pinball browser only adjusts music, some basic setting you can put in prefferences, you can adjust the highscore and video/dmd images. But rules no.

#2548 3 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

First of all thank you very much, if I wanted to use 2 red 6.3v leds (all the flipper is already led), do I need the resistor? I attach them each to a lamp of the gi? Sorry for the questions but I'm not very good at electronics

Yes you can attach each to a GI light. Or put them in serie, will save you a few meters cable.

#2549 3 years ago
Quoted from huwman:

Thanks Peter - I've also had your V9 code on (which is also great!) and I'm pretty sure I had the same problem with the 'all pirates defeated' light. As I said I'm not 100% sure when it started to happen and I've changed code a few times so need to double check to be sure. I'll have time tomorrow to go through it all again and see for sure.
If it's not the code I'll check all the switches, but I'm not getting lots of 'phantom' hits on the ship, and the individual pirate lights are all working properly. It's just giving me the compass light for defeating them all before I have actually defeated them! And then allowing that to contribute to collecting the South point of the compass before I've defeated all the pirates. So basically making it easier to complete all parts of the compass. It's my first pinball machine so I'm no expert, but it feels more like a software than a hardware problem.

You can always go back first to the original code V6, download it from Sterns page. So you know you have a clean version.
Then check the phantom hits. If they remain, it is in your game, do the check via the switch test. If it is over already then it is in the code. But hearing you on phantom hits on the ship, that seems more a bad opto thing. The opto's in this game seem to go bad. So a wiggle coudl already trigger a opto, hence ship hit.

#2555 3 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Nevermind, you're only huwman!

Sharp

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 218.00
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PeterG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club?tu=PeterG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.