Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg

There are 3,770 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 76.
#3101 2 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

I see you have the white "dandruff" of a new compass decal as well.

Just slop from the wax job i think

I’m bad about reusing dirty rags way too much

#3102 2 years ago

Tortuga/port royal cannon "mod" update
I think the red LED helped make it pop

pirate.gifpirate.gif
#3103 2 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

I see you have the white "dandruff" of a new compass decal as well.

It’s been snowing on my POTC since 2018 when I bought it. I only put a few dozen plays on it each year, and I vacuum, clean and wax it. It always comes back. It’s always winter on Tortuga.

#3104 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

It’s been snowing on my POTC since 2018 when I bought it. I only put a few dozen plays on it each year, and I vacuum, clean and wax it. It always comes back. It’s always winter on Tortuga.

Mine took about 500 plays before it stopped really snowing on the playfield. I still get some flakes now and then but nothing like those first few hundred games.

#3105 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Mine took about 500 plays before it stopped really snowing on the playfield. I still get some flakes now and then but nothing like those first few hundred games.

That would explain it. I probably put about 50 plays a year on it. So I’m guessing 200 or so since I bought it. The original owner had just replaced the spinner decal.

#3106 2 years ago

Thanks for sharing! I am a POTC owner and just found this group. Really like the mods that are being shared here. Such an underrated game.

#3107 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check that the screws are tight in the fat grey clutch, and that it isn't cracked.
LTG : )

Lloyd, fianlly took apart and removed ship. Clutch is good, linkage all good. Moves nice and smooth by hand with motor removed. Motor is only turning one direction though, hitting motor relay test I can feel it "bump" the motor but direction does not change. Hoping relay is issue then as they are relatively inexpensive. Am I on right track here, my wife and son are after me to get it going. Any more help appreciated.

#3108 2 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Any more help appreciated.

Get a new motor. Call it a day.

#3109 2 years ago

Dug around and I had a new one from Pinball Life, same result, it only rotates one direction. Relay or worst case something on the board? I have a Family Guy I can try the board from. Figured try the motor as I had similar issue on Space Station.

#3110 2 years ago

Looking for this topper. Does anyone have one they are willing to sell? Thanks

Screenshot_20220322-112421 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220322-112421 (resized).png
1 week later
#3111 1 year ago

The Game I am working on had 8 SMD Flat flashers in Red, behind the Chest, and Jack the Monkey,
and in the Back as Cannon Fire. They were more "in your face" than I liked, and as my eyes start going down hill,
they actually hurt, after playing.
So I dug up a couple prototypes I made.

The red By the Chest Puts out a super nice Indicator Flash, and Pleasant to the eyes. Around a Frosted 2SMD.
The Back, the bulb works with the clouds and is a nicer flash to the eyes just the same.

I searched for more, I only had 2 left, and couldnt find any on Ebay. They would be a nice addition to flashers
that are visible.

20220402_134204 (resized).jpg20220402_134204 (resized).jpg20220402_134213 (resized).jpg20220402_134213 (resized).jpg
#3112 1 year ago

So replaced motor relay. Motor foe ship still constantly runs one direction. Tried spare motor as well, am I left with something on CPU? Anyone have this happen? Clutch is all good as well.

#3113 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I searched for more, I only had 2 left, and couldnt find any on Ebay. They would be a nice addition to flashers
that are visible.

Are ye looking for colored incandescent bulbs, or bulb condoms or something else? Argh

#3114 1 year ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

So replaced motor relay. Motor foe ship still constantly runs one direction. Tried spare motor as well, am I left with something on CPU? Anyone have this happen? Clutch is all good as well.

We’re gonna fix you up. Crazy that it’s happening with the new motor too, I will give this some serious thought.

#3115 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Are ye looking for colored incandescent bulbs, or bulb condoms or something else? Argh

Im Sorry I wasnt clear.

These are frosted Dome Flashers, 12v. They are original samples, representing Domes that were currently in Production. The Plan was a variety of lens tops, but Frosted Flashers was first. Production was to include Fluted, Fancy retro/steampunk domes.

Their use was in Areas where Flashers were eye visible, to soften the direct LED in the eyes.
They were to be aesthetic. Here is kinda another example.

In Current Sterns, they would drop to 6V.

They were from boxes of Protos from Comet, I recently unpacked.

I wanted to share how the Pirate chest finished up.

I am pleased, It looks like a real pirate chest. Im only awaiting some seaweed to add.

The Gemstones are all real, but I used chipped faceted gems.
I stacked and glued the coins on the right and left, and then glued 3mm Neo Magnets, so they cover the 6 screws
that show.

20220403_195229.jpg20220403_195229.jpg

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3116 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

We’re gonna fix you up. Crazy that it’s happening with the new motor too, I will give this some serious thought.

Thinking it might be on CPU? I have a day surgery Friday, if not too out of sorts this wknd, may try swapping board into Family Guy and see if anything stage is happening.

#3117 1 year ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Did you test it manually?

The relay is what flips the motor direction- just ground the relay input from the cpu (q27)and you are doing what the cpu would.

By using clips to simulate the motor on and motor reverse transistors you should be able to drive the motor manually at the relay’s inputs.

If your motor only runs one dir it has to be the q27 input to the relay or a stuck relay. You should be able to hear the relay through in a test mode or jumpering it.

Check for 20v at brown pin 8… then jumper pin 7 black-orange to grojnd and listen for click. If that works… you can turn the motor on by grounding pin 3 vio-green.

If you correctly replaced thd relay its going to br the connection between the driver and relay on the black-org wite or q27 is actually bad on the cpu.

Again should be easy to isolate by playing the role of ghe transistor and just grounding yhe pin.

Use the diagram in the manual on pg97 to help locate the right colors and pins.

It could be ad simple as bad wire path to the relays input

#3118 1 year ago

I just Have to share these pictures and my Joy from Pinsteins Work!

He has the artists vision to see this as a boat deck on the sea with a Map!
The Blues on the art elevate the game to the brightest in my line up, and rather than boxed in look,
it sails the seas!

What made this even better, is the material is a repositionable Thick vinyl wallpaper like material.
It was so easy with a small piece of tape to peel and install myself in minutes!
Sure, I had to adjust several times, but it moves with ease!

The Magnet Apron cover completes the look!

To me, the Best choice there is over the darker choices.

(BTW, there are all 3 colors in the GI...Warm, Sunlight, and cool, blended with the art)

20220411_165942 (resized).jpg20220411_165942 (resized).jpg20220411_165951 (2) (resized).jpg20220411_165951 (2) (resized).jpg
#3119 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:I just Have to share these pictures and my Joy from Pinsteins Work!
The Blues on the art elevate the game to the brightest in my line up, and rather than boxed in look,
it sails the seas!
What made this even better, is the material is a repositionable Thick vinyl wallpaper like material.
It was so easy with a small piece of tape to peel and install myself in minutes!
(BTW, there are all 3 colors in the GI...Warm, Sunlight, and cool, blended with the art)
[quoted image][quoted image]

I really like that apron Art.

Are those available for purchase?

#3120 1 year ago

Indeed! My Friend!

The info is for Pinstein, on page 61 of this thread.

Im not sure how to link that here, but send John a PM!

#3121 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Indeed! My Friend!

Thanks Art !!!

#3122 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Indeed! My Friend!

Try this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/61#post-6770743

#3123 1 year ago

So ive lost a bit of my memory from a small stroke last year and cant remember how to trouble shoot the new issue just popped up, before I close the game.
I have a switch stock closed, 10 points maybe just keeping rolling, and the found the key message.
Maybe its two switches.

Im thinking the Trunk Opto, left ramp, or outlane?

Best way to trouble shoot? Im searching my memory, and its gone...shit...Im a Newbie, again!

Thanks.

#3124 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

So ive lost a bit of my memory from a small stroke last year and cant remember how to trouble shoot the new issue just popped up, before I close the game.
I have a switch stock closed, 10 points maybe just keeping rolling, and the found the key message.
Maybe its two switches.
Im thinking the Trunk Opto, left ramp, or outlane?
Best way to trouble shoot? Im searching my memory, and its gone...shit...Im a Newbie, again!
Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your stroke. If you go into switch test, it should show up as a closed switch? P. 38 in the manual.

switch (resized).PNGswitch (resized).PNG
#3125 1 year ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Sorry to hear about your stroke. If you go into switch test, it should show up as a closed switch?

Gosh, why did I forget that? Thanks!

#3126 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Gosh, why did I forget that? Thanks!

Just posted manual page above

#3127 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I just Have to share these pictures and my Joy from Pinsteins Work!
it sails the seas!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm sure it's been posted before. But where did you get the art blades? Your game looks killer!!!

#3128 1 year ago

Thank you, It really looks like a ship on the ocean when I play, or at least when I fix the switch and play.

Reach out to John.

Try this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/61#post-6770743

Is anyone else who is making blades using repositionable adhesive?

#3129 1 year ago

I have a POTC that I have been working on. I put LEDs in the machine way back when I bought it. This must be ten years ago. I was having a lot of ghosting issues with the original LEDs so I went through the single lamp test to replace the problematic bulbs. I cannot find lamp 47 Tortuga. The manual has it listed in the wiring diagram but there is no actual playfield location. Oddly enough there is a cut out on just behind the Tortuga-Port Royal ramp and there is nothing in it. Can anyone tell me where this missing lamp (#47 Tortuga) should be?

#3130 1 year ago

I have a few Grog cup holders left. PM me if interested. Arrrrr!

2091D0C9-AE82-491E-B1A2-ABF570C68764 (resized).jpeg2091D0C9-AE82-491E-B1A2-ABF570C68764 (resized).jpeg62C2D438-8900-4BFF-AED1-F0C4020AA096 (resized).jpeg62C2D438-8900-4BFF-AED1-F0C4020AA096 (resized).jpeg6912248A-28FD-4D8C-ADB3-B51D0209E832 (resized).jpeg6912248A-28FD-4D8C-ADB3-B51D0209E832 (resized).jpeg
#3131 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Update. Some more testing and it's the MPU that's the issue. Through the menu the ship would run ok in test too, aside that then it kept running the test. Relay ok as it could be forced to switch. Motor is good. To be sure I did install MPU in Family Guy and the mini playfield(which uses same drive as ship motor) would not release the ball. MPU now in process of repair.

#3132 1 year ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

Can anyone tell me where this missing lamp (#47 Tortuga) should be?

It's on the playfield (yellow lens) below the Port Royal light (red lens) and above the Timed Lock light (green lens). It is lit after the timed lock releases the ball(s) and you have multi-ball.

#3133 1 year ago

I looked through the past posts but didn't see anything relative to the issue I am having. Once I have completed port royal I shoot the ball back to start the tortuga multiball and once the ball reaches the spinner it acts as if I have already made all four balls onto the spinner. The timer stops, the ball is released from the spinner and it displays all scores quadrupled. I have gone in and tested the switches, no issues. I am wondering if there can be a correlation to me installing the colordmd. A little baffled here. Has anyone seen this before. Thanx in advance.

#3134 1 year ago

Hello every, new Potc owner here and I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for the coil that drops the sails. The one I have every time I plug it in it just pulls the latch and doesn't release to the sails can't go back up. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

#3135 1 year ago
Quoted from JasAce:

Hello every, new Potc owner here and I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for the coil that drops the sails. The one I have every time I plug it in it just pulls the latch and doesn't release to the sails can't go back up. Any help is much appreciated,

Common for wiring on those coils to wear and break - are you sure that isn't the problem.

If not, adjust the metal plate the coil pulls in so it's a tiny bit closer to the coil.

#3136 1 year ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

I looked through the past posts but didn't see anything relative to the issue I am having. Once I have completed port royal I shoot the ball back to start the tortuga multiball and once the ball reaches the spinner it acts as if I have already made all four balls onto the spinner. The timer stops, the ball is released from the spinner and it displays all scores quadrupled. I have gone in and tested the switches, no issues. I am wondering if there can be a correlation to me installing the colordmd. A little baffled here. Has anyone seen this before. Thanx in advance.

I don’t think it would have anything to do with the color dmd, unless you knocked a molex loose in the back box. Which switches did you check? I’d check the Tortuga opto and the trough optos.

#3137 1 year ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I don’t think it would have anything to do with the color dmd, unless you knocked a molex loose in the back box. Which switches did you check? I’d check the Tortuga opto and the trough optos.

Appreciate the questions. I checked most of the switches in the entire game...especially the optos. It's quite bizarre really. It works right when completing the port royal but gets haywire for the multiball part.

#3138 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Common for wiring on those coils to wear and break - are you sure that isn't the problem.
If not, adjust the metal plate the coil pulls in so it's a tiny bit closer to the coil.

I just replaced the wires with new ones, now as soon as I turn the machine the coil turns on and pulls the latch and won't release....could the coil be bad.

#3139 1 year ago
Quoted from JasAce:

could the coil be bad.

No.

Wires shorting to something or transistor driving it failed.

#3140 1 year ago
Quoted from JasAce:

I just replaced the wires with new ones, now as soon as I turn the machine the coil turns on and pulls the latch and won't release....could the coil be bad.

If the coil is always energized, as LTG says there is some reason the coil is getting power. Two possibilities; 1) there is a short from some other source of power, or 2) the Q transistor driver on the driver PCB is blown (and always conducting). I would bet the second option and you have a failed transistor, which is kinda common. Look at page 96 & 97 in the manual and you'll see the wiring, the colors, and the driver transistor to check.

Also, go ahead and FIRST confirm the coil can be turned off and on in the TEST menu. I suspect it will not turn off.

#3141 1 year ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

If the coil is always energized, as LTG says there is some reason the coil is getting power. Two possibilities; 1) there is a short from some other source of power, or 2) the Q transistor driver on the driver PCB is blown (and always conducting). I would bet the second option and you have a failed transistor, which is kinda common. Look at page 96 & 97 in the manual and you'll see the wiring, the colors, and the driver transistor to check.
Also, go ahead and FIRST confirm the coil can be turned off and on in the TEST menu. I suspect it will not turn off.

Yep you guys were right, after checking turns out transistor q28 is bad...now to figure out where to buy a new one lol. Thanks for your help guys.

#3142 1 year ago
Quoted from JasAce:

now to figure out where to buy a new one

Ed's the man - https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/

#3143 1 year ago
Quoted from JasAce:

Yep you guys were right, after checking turns out transistor q28 is bad...now to figure out where to buy a new one lol. Thanks for your help guys.

Luckily, its a "TIP122" which is pretty common. Most places carry them for far less than a buck, just search for a TIP122 someplace that has lowest shipping fees. You can get 10-20 of them on Amazon for $8-9 shipped in 1 day.

#3144 1 year ago

Luckily, its a "TIP122" which is pretty common. Most places carry them for far less than a buck, just search for a TIP122 someplace that has lowest shipping fees. You can get 10-20 of them on Amazon for $8-9 shipped in 1 day.

Bridgold 20pcs TIP122 TO-220 NPN Darlington Bipolar Power Transistor, 5 A 100 V HFE:1000, 3-Pin https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MVDC7Z1/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_7QWC1B5VYBV6DAFXE2WR

Is this what I need? Sorry last question .

#3145 1 year ago

Replace tip 122 with the more robust and common tip102.

#3146 1 year ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Replace tip 122 with the more robust and common tip102.

Transistor NPN 100 volt 8 amp 5162-09410-00

OK I'm about to order 20 of them lol this is the part I'm ordering, this right? Sorry for the dumb questions.

#3147 1 year ago

Transistor NPN 100 volt 8 amp 5162-09410-00
OK I'm about to order 20 of them lol this is the part I'm ordering, this right? Sorry for the dumb questions.

I don’t know that part number but the specs you provide are correct for tip102

#3148 1 year ago

Anyone have a POTC for sale near St Louis?

#3149 1 year ago

Got an odd issue. My ship stopped raising so I tried testing it in diagnostics. The motor turns but it will not come back up. I raised the playfield to take a look at it and the ship works perfectly fine when the playfield is vertical. I dropped it back down and it no longer works. I put the playfield up and it works. It makes it very tricky to troubleshoot. I don't believe I see anything getting caught. I can see the lever that raises the ship and it doesn't appear to be attempting to lift it. Any thoughts on how to diagnose this one?

#3150 1 year ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Any thoughts on how to diagnose this one?

A few connectors and screws. Remove the whole mech. Check the fat black or grey clutch, see if it's cracked or loose.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mission, BC
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Camanche, IA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
5,600 (Firm)
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 218.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,770 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/63 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.