Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 76.
#3001 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Now I have a set of plastic protectors to prevent that. I’ve done that on 2-3 games over the years. No fun!

What do you mean by plastic protectors? Mylar overlay on top of the sideart blades? Not sure I've seen plastic protectors (other than the ones that go under playfield plastics). Would love to learn from your mistake

#3002 2 years ago

I think he may be talking about these

https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

although plastic protectors for the sling plastics wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm loosing art work on both sling plastics where the third post touches under it. Didn't notice until too late.

#3003 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

I think he may be talking about these

Exactly, these. Not mylar over the blades, just these temporary protectors that slide between the playfield and blades and prevent friction/damage. They really help.

#3004 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Exactly, these. Not mylar over the blades, just these temporary protectors that slide between the playfield and blades and prevent friction/damage. They really help.

Ahhhh. Never seen these before. Thanks for sharing!

#3005 2 years ago

Hi Pirates,

i can get a nice STERN POTC.
So far I have seen only photos and videos. Looks good.

But one point bothers me and i do not know what it can be.
When the ship is sunk a loud horrible noise as if the engine continues to run and gears are grinding ?
Can it be the clutch or do you think it's more the ship motor?
Hear and see more in the video please > https://www.dropbox.com/s/cctez14plgnq1zk/VID-20220206-WA0000.mp4?dl=0

thanks in advance and best regards, Holger

#3006 2 years ago
Quoted from Holgi4everHSV:

When the ship is sunk a loud horrible noise as if the engine continues to run and gears are grinding ?

Seems to move okay. Mechanism can use some cleaning and a little grease. Probably can't grease inside gear box. Switch that lets it know the ship is down isn't working so it keeps trying.

LTG : )

#3007 2 years ago

thanks LTG,

i just see in the manual at page 81 the switch No. 62 for Ship Fully Sunk.
That could be the reason, i hope and think you are right.
To get a bit grease into the gearbox is impossible i think so too.

best regards, Holger

#3008 2 years ago

Other than the switch not detecting the sunk ship it sounds a lot like mine as far as the ship movement and sinking goes. That's also glass off which makes it sound a lot louder. I don't hear any grinding in that unless I'm missing something. I'd repair the switch and while at it clean and grease the gears.

#3009 2 years ago

@Pinblade conversation - I'm not a big fan of any of the available pinblades/graphix. I'd like to see something new! I'd rather just go with mirror blades right now. IMHO. Everyone in the house loves the ColorDMD!!!!

#3010 2 years ago

Does anyone know where coil/lamp 31 'Flash: back left' is located on the game? On my new POTC I got yesterday all coils/switches/lamps etc are working perfectly except for coil/lamp 31. Any help would be great, I'd imagine its under the spinning disk somewhere, it's too cluttered back there to figure out.

#3013 2 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy the hull for the ship? Since I just got my game I want to invest in the future and have another one incase mine breaks

#3014 2 years ago
Quoted from sbskins:

Does anyone know where I can buy the hull for the ship? Since I just got my game I want to invest in the future and have another one incase mine breaks

I think they are nowhere to be found. Marco had the last few a few years ago. There was a post awhile back from someone that was going to 3d scan his, to make 3d copies, but I don’t think it ever happened….

#3015 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I think they are nowhere to be found. Marco had the last few a few years ago. There was a post awhile back from someone that was going to 3d scan his, to make 3d copies, but I don’t think it ever happened….

Is this the part where Matt from Back Alley comes to the rescue with an even better product?

#3016 2 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Is this the part where Matt from Back Alley comes to the rescue with an even better product?

I bet Matt could build a resin mold that fits the same shell and mounts with the same three screws, but again someone would need to temporarily donate theirs to any duplication process! If anyone is rebuilding their boat,it would be a good time to see if it could be done.

#3017 2 years ago

I bet Matt could build a resin mold that fits the same shell and mounts with the same three screws, but again someone would need to temporarily donate theirs to any duplication process! If anyone is rebuilding their boat,it would be a good time to see if it could be done.

Looks like PPS had them, but no longer does. I bet Matt would have to tweak the design to not infringe on PPS owning the part? Easy enough for him - he's a wizard at his craft.

hull (resized).pnghull (resized).png
#3018 2 years ago

Looks like PPS had them, but no longer does. I bet Matt would have to tweak the design to not infringe on PPS owning the part? Easy enough for him - he's a wizard at his craft.[quoted image]

Or just reproduce the part under a license from PPS.....

#3019 2 years ago

POTC is a Stern title. I don’t think PPS is involved in licensing this part. I suspect it was on the “PPS” site due to the site conversion from Bay Area Amusements who was a Stern parts dealer.

#3020 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

POTC is a Stern title. I don’t think PPS is involved in licensing this part. I suspect it was on the “PPS” site due to the site conversion from Bay Area Amusements who was a Stern parts dealer.

Great point Schwaggs...and even better I500 avatar pic. Now I just need to figure out how to get my ball from not staying in the turbo hole (bounces out 9/10 times).

#3021 2 years ago

Looks like PPS had them, but no longer does. I bet Matt would have to tweak the design to not infringe on PPS owning the part? Easy enough for him - he's a wizard at his craft.[quoted image]

I think Matt has his hands full with a new baby in the house. His site has been down for a couple of months. I will drop him a note and see what he thinks....

#3022 2 years ago

I made some new sling customs slings for my pirates. Here is the print file if anyone is interested and handy enough to make them themselves. This looks large and pixely as the uploaded file is 200 dpi and displaying wonky here. I have a custom kraken coming too.

NEW PIRATE SLINGS 2022 (resized).jpgNEW PIRATE SLINGS 2022 (resized).jpg

#3023 2 years ago

I also made some new artblades. Im trying give a more "at sea" feel to playing. These are laminated with a scuff resistant lam that is used for custom wallpapers and printed on a rip resistant adhesive woven material. I dub them "Scuff Tuff". They are available if anyone is interested pm me.

POTC ART BLADES 2022 pst (resized).jpgPOTC ART BLADES 2022 pst (resized).jpg
#3024 2 years ago

Also a magnetic apron cover. There are no rules when you're a pirate.

PRINT SKIRT pst (resized).jpgPRINT SKIRT pst (resized).jpg
#3025 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I made some new sling customs slings for my pirates. Here is the print file if anyone is interested and handy enough to make them themselves. This look large and a little pixelie as the attachment is 200 dpi and displaying wonky here.
[quoted image]

#3026 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Also a magnetic apron cover. There are no rules when you're a pirate.
[quoted image]

Awesome! When can we see these installed on a Pirates?

#3027 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I also made some new artblades. Im trying give a more "at sea" feel to playing. These are laminated with a scuff resistant lam that is used for custom wallpapers and printed on a rip resistant adhesive woven material. I dub them "Scuff Tuff". They are available if anyone is interested pm me.
[quoted image]

Best side blades I've seen yet.

#3028 2 years ago

I think Matt has his hands full with a new baby in the house. His site has been down for a couple of months. I will drop him a note and see what he thinks....

To add onto this I dropped him a line on messenger the other day, he also said he's preparing for TPF and working on filling a lot of backorders.

#3029 2 years ago

I bought this to display and never got around to it.
It’s on on eBay , but I’ll pull it off if somebody wants it here.
$99 shipped to lower 48
Or i will deliver to TPF in March
ebay.com link: itm

2FC51AE4-CD49-4635-97C1-98E6AECF218B (resized).jpeg2FC51AE4-CD49-4635-97C1-98E6AECF218B (resized).jpeg761EB89F-CE82-4AC0-83A2-EF2FBCC5684D (resized).jpeg761EB89F-CE82-4AC0-83A2-EF2FBCC5684D (resized).jpegA866E26F-C077-41F3-B914-849A4E430E2D (resized).jpegA866E26F-C077-41F3-B914-849A4E430E2D (resized).jpegAF7F927B-D1E7-4D5D-B58A-65B7727FB5FE (resized).jpegAF7F927B-D1E7-4D5D-B58A-65B7727FB5FE (resized).jpeg
#3030 2 years ago
Quoted from RetroRefurbs:

Since we're on the subject of pirates, we just got the original and alternative cabinet decal sets.
Original: http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/pirates-of-the-caribbean-pinball-cabinet-decals-original/
Alternative: http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/pirates-of-the-caribbean-cabinet-decals-sparrow-edition/
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Has anyone actually used the Alternative version on there POTC?
Would really like to see how it looks installed.

#3031 2 years ago

I’m a big fan of mirror blades on older SAM Sterns - it really brightens them up. I’ve had my POTC for almost 6 years, and I wish I’d done this sooner.

A5FB90B3-5FC9-445D-8740-98289E64E1C1 (resized).jpegA5FB90B3-5FC9-445D-8740-98289E64E1C1 (resized).jpegC43ABEA9-2D9A-4D8E-B7F5-589A6E042D7A (resized).jpegC43ABEA9-2D9A-4D8E-B7F5-589A6E042D7A (resized).jpeg
#3032 2 years ago

Here’s a pic from the player’s perspective:

17D7F28E-3A07-47AE-988A-83E7EF7238EF (resized).jpeg17D7F28E-3A07-47AE-988A-83E7EF7238EF (resized).jpeg
#3033 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Here’s a pic from the player’s perspective:
[quoted image]

Love those boney flippers. Where did you get them? The ones I have seen for sale are not aged and are more all white in color.

#3034 2 years ago

The ones I have seen for sale are not aged and are more all white in color.

Use water based paint or thinned ink. Paint the flipper bat with it and wipe off. A try or two will get you the look you want.

#3035 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Use water based paint or thinned ink. Paint the flipper bat with it and wipe off. A try or two will get you the look you want.

LTG for the win. Thanks!

#3036 2 years ago

Love those boney flippers. Where did you get them? The ones I have seen for sale are not aged and are more all white in color.

They came with the game when I got it around 2016. I like them too!

#3037 2 years ago

Just heard back from Matt at BackAlley and he *is* going to create a new hull for the ship! He will dive in after Texas, so let’s give him some time and then look for it later in the spring. We’ll see what creativity he kicks in!

#3038 2 years ago

I just hope he’s able to start taking orders again soon

#3039 2 years ago

I started a Mod about 5 years ago, and it took 3 more years to get a Game.

The original idea, was for Red LED Pin Eyes, and 1-3 Tentacles to move.
Well I did get the movement, but it was too controlled and looked spastic for the few seconds it came on.
Ditched that, but the video that inspired me is below.

Anyway, these both Hook on to the back of the plastic Kraken, and dont look too bad.

Does one look better than the other? What do you think?

20220215_103230 (resized).jpg20220215_103230 (resized).jpg20220215_104923 (resized).jpg20220215_104923 (resized).jpg20220215_104937 (resized).jpg20220215_104937 (resized).jpg20220215_104940 (resized).jpg20220215_104940 (resized).jpg20220215_105110 (resized).jpg20220215_105110 (resized).jpg20220215_105116 (resized).jpg20220215_105116 (resized).jpg
#3040 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I started a Mod about 5 years ago, and it took 3 more years to get a Game.
The original idea, was for Red LED Pin Eyes, and 1-3 Tentacles to move.
Well I did get the movement, but it was too controlled and looked spastic for the few seconds it came on.
Ditched that, but the video that inspired me is below.
Anyway, these both Hook on to the back of the plastic Kraken, and dont look too bad.
Does one look better than the other? What do you think?

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome! Do you have a player's view of the greenish one?

#3042 2 years ago

Green looks better.

#3043 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsunami:

Green looks better.

Agree. I think it looks more natural. The blend of greens on the top side of the body and red/pink/white on the bottom side of the tentacles for contrast looks more like the one from the movie. Are you thinking of adding spot lighting to the kraken/creature toy to help it stand out behind the ship. I don't recall if there are specific controlled lamps or flashers tied to the Kraken-specific mode in the game. In the end, both options are WAY better than no kraken. Keep up the great work.

kraken (resized).pngkraken (resized).png
#3044 2 years ago

Just heard back from Matt at BackAlley and he *is* going to create a new hull for the ship! He will dive in after Texas, so let’s give him some time and then look for it later in the spring. We’ll see what creativity he kicks in!

That is awesome news. Hopefully it's not just a recreation but an upgrade in both looks and strength.

#3045 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

That is awesome news. Hopefully it's not just a recreation but an upgrade in both looks and strength.

I think he has an good idea of what to do. Matt seemed to know exactly the material to use since it takes a direct ball hit 100 times every game. And making it 'better' in some way eliminates any copyright issues I think. Perhaps early April we'll see what he has come up with....

#3046 2 years ago

I think he has an good idea of what to do. Matt seemed to know exactly the material to use since it takes a direct ball hit 100 times every game. And making it 'better' in some way eliminates any copyright issues I think. Perhaps early April we'll see what he has come up with....

he's got my money already. I love this game and even though my hull is fine now I'd love a better looking one

#3047 2 years ago

Are you thinking of adding spot lighting to the kraken/creature toy to help it stand out behind the ship

Absolutely, If there is a Light to tie into.

Ill share more when completed.

#3048 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Absolutely, If there is a Light to tie into.
Ill share more when completed.

God speed my friend!

#3049 2 years ago

Question for those who have messed around with pinball browser - is there any way to test changes in real time (For example with visual pinball X) instead of saving it to a USB stick, and waiting 5 minutes for the game to update?

And I know there's a code modding thread for this game, but it's pretty dead.

#3050 2 years ago
Quoted from sbskins:

Question for those who have messed around with pinball browser - is there any way to test changes in real time (For example with visual pinball X) instead of saving it to a USB stick, and waiting 5 minutes for the game to update?
And I know there's a code modding thread for this game, but it's pretty dead.

yes, I use VPX for this game. zip up the image after you are done into a supported zip file name. potc_600as.zip with the image inside named potc_600as.bin. Then set the game name in the vpx script to the name. I think most of the current versions available of the table use the potc_600as name as the default. Works great

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 218.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/61 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.