Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 76.
#2901 2 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

Thank you very much, I will check the diameter better

My guess is that they are #6-32 or #8-32. I don’t have the machine anymore but that feels right. And 2-1/4 (2.25 inches) sounds right for the next size up.

#2902 2 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

My guess is that they are #6-32 or #8-32. I don’t have the machine anymore but that feels right. And 2-1/4 (2.25 inches) sounds right for the next size up.

Very Thanks

#2903 2 years ago

Made a small amount of the ship cannon led mods again. Posted in the market place.

#2904 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Made a small amount of the ship cannon led mods again. Posted in the market place.

That's fantastic! They'll sell out quick once word gets out - great mod. I bought one from you years ago and ended up selling my game before I installed it. Picked up a HUO machine last year in CO and installed it in that game.

#2905 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I can't find the ad on the market place,

#2907 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

This is an awesome, must-have mod. If you own this machine, you want this in it. It is so cool.

#2908 2 years ago

The mod is amazing, unfortunately first I should replace the ship because it is damaged

#2909 2 years ago

I looked at the video, and it appears to replace the regular flasher bulb with the 5 cannon mounted LEDs. Is that correct?

#2910 2 years ago

Did the mods sell out already or am I just an idiot and unable to figure out how to buy it off the marketplace?

thanks, the mod looks amazing.

#2911 2 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

Did the mods sell out already or am I just an idiot and unable to figure out how to buy it off the marketplace?
thanks, the mod looks amazing.

Just send me a pm - only about 6 left.

#2912 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I looked at the video, and it appears to replace the regular flasher bulb with the 5 cannon mounted LEDs. Is that correct?

It doesn’t replace it. The mod is linked to the flasher.

#2913 2 years ago
Quoted from gac:

It doesn’t replace it. The mod is linked to the flasher.

Leds are installed in the ship and draw power from the flasher - so flasher is still active with the leds

If anyone wants to look at the instructions download here:
http://www.weirpinball.com/mods/POTC%20mod%20instructions.pdf

#2914 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

This is a great mod; it takes some time to install but the directions are good.

#2915 2 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

This is a great mod; it takes some time to install but the directions are good.

Great mod. I’ve owned my POTC for 3 years and always assumed this was a standard feature as mine came already modded. It’s such a cool, interactive mod I can’t imagine mine without it. I played my POTC today for the first time in a few weeks and completed the compass quickly except I needed to defeat Davy Jones. I usually struggle to complete Heart multiball but I finished it early along with Jack the monkey. Lost my ball with the Terpsichore a rockin’.

#2916 2 years ago

Finally getting my machine this week. (It has 15 games on it as it was only unboxed a few months ago to install a sheet of HD glass, side blades and an LCD ColorDMD). While I was waiting for delivery, I saw a handful of additional mods that caught my eye. So I got a set of the target decals and a Pinshaker Premium both from Pinball Life. Got a 3D printed rope rail (to replace sneeze guard) and 3D painted monkey from Dystopic in Italy, and got a plastic PETG targets protector (from maffewl) up by the ship to prevent airballs, apparently a thing when I remove the sneeze guard.

One of the other mods was the Davy Jones speaker panel available on Cointaker, and almost bought it, but remembered I still had a blank replacement panel (Stern 525-5515-00) purchased awhile back for a different machine but I had never used it. So, decided to give it a whirl and re-use the panel that would otherwise just sit on the shelf.

I sanded it down to remove all texture, gave it a hand pulled brown 'grain' using rustoleum brown primer and a paper towel, then three coats of Rustoleum Weathered Tan Tint lacquer, which will be followed by applying a cast resin red vinyl lettering "Dead Men Tell No Tales". Paint was $15, Lettering was $15

I wish I had taken pictures of the starting point, but the first picture I saved shows the sanded black panel with the hand-applied grain. Then the next pictures are the various layers of tint applied. The result has a deep rich marine polished feel to it and the lettering (shown in picture) will be applied in a few days.

IMG_1803 (resized).jpgIMG_1803 (resized).jpgIMG_1804 (resized).jpgIMG_1804 (resized).jpgIMG_1805 (resized).jpgIMG_1805 (resized).jpgIMG_1806 (resized).jpgIMG_1806 (resized).jpgIMG_1807 (resized).jpgIMG_1807 (resized).jpg

#2917 2 years ago

Finally getting my machine this week. (It has 15 games on it as it was only unboxed a few months ago to install a sheet of HD glass, side blades and an LCD ColorDMD). While I was waiting for delivery, I saw a handful of additional mods that caught my eye. So I got a set of the target decals and a Pinshaker Premium both from Pinball Life. Got a 3D printed rope rail (to replace sneeze guard) and 3D painted monkey from a pinsider in Italy, and got a plastic PETG targets protector up by the ship to prevent airballs, apparently a thing when I remove the sneeze guard.
One of the other mods was the Davy Jones speaker panel available on Cointaker, and almost bought it, but remembered I still had a blank replacement panel (Stern 525-5515-00) purchased awhile back for a different machine but I had never used it. So, decided to give it a whirl and re-use the panel that would otherwise just sit on the shelf.
I sanded it down to remove all texture, gave it a hand pulled brown 'grain' using rustoleum brown primer and a paper towel, then three coats of Rustoleum Weathered Tan Tint lacquer, which will be followed by applying a cast resin red vinyl lettering "Dead Men Tell No Tales". Paint was $15, Lettering was $15
I wish I had taken pictures of the starting point, but the first picture I saved shows the sanded black panel with the hand-applied grain. Then the next pictures are the various layers of tint applied. The result has a deep rich marine polished feel to it and the lettering (shown in piucture) will be applied in a few days.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work…

#2918 2 years ago

Hi All,

New to the club as of last night.
The machine i picked up was barely played (bought from the original owner who had it in their basement with shuffle board, pool, and other items)
They never removed the glass or even the coin box. One thing that blew me away was the lack of rust on the balls when my NIB turtles came with rusty balls.

There is a decent amount of dust and such that has accumulated outside of where the ball normally travels so i assume I will need to tear down the Playfield to get all of this out. Any pointers are appreciated.

Something else i noticed was the playfield, while showing zero signs of wear, does not look as shiny or clear coated as modern Sterns. Can anyone share some history or details as to why the look different? Unsure if i should wax it or if some other care is required..?

#2919 2 years ago
Quoted from The-Hum:

One thing that blew me away was the lack of rust on the balls

Maybe the rust preventative wasn't cleaned off before they were put in the game.

Quoted from The-Hum:

Something else i noticed was the playfield, while showing zero signs of wear, does not look as shiny or clear coated as modern Sterns. Can anyone share some history or details as to why the look different? Unsure if i should wax it or if some other care is required..?

Clean it. Wax it. Use quality products.

LTG : )

#2920 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Maybe the rust preventative wasn't cleaned off before they were put in the game.

Clean it. Wax it. Use quality products.

Thank you sir LTG!

#2921 2 years ago

play it a little bit before you go tearing it down to clean the hard to reach areas. The tortuga spinner will flake off white "snow" for the first hundred or so games. It gets everywhere

clean and wax the areas you can get to and enjoy

#2922 2 years ago
Quoted from The-Hum:

Hi All,
The machine i picked up was barely played (bought from the original owner who had it in their basement with shuffle board, pool, and other items)
They never removed the glass or even the coin box. One thing that blew me away was the lack of rust on the balls when my NIB turtles came with rusty balls.
There is a decent amount of dust and such that has accumulated outside of where the ball normally travels so i assume I will need to tear down the Playfield to get all of this out. Any pointers are appreciated.

Clean the playfield with a damp micro fiber cloth, rinsing often. You can use a light cleaning solution like Novus 1 or even window cleaner.

Use a quality automotive clear coat polish like Meguires Ultimate Compound. Meguiar's G17220 Ultimate Compound, Color & Clarity Restorer, Scratch & Swirl Remover, 591 ML, 1 PT 4 FL oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W5HCZ9M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1T85D2Z4347318Q69XSB

Use a high quality wax, something high in carnuba.

Your POTC will look every bit at shiny as a modern Stern. The clear on POTC is awesome.

#2923 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Your POTC will look every bit at shiny as a modern Stern. The clear on POTC is awesome.

Here is the last one I had - pulled everything and cc'd the pf.

IMG_5270 (resized).JPGIMG_5270 (resized).JPGIMG_5271 (resized).JPGIMG_5271 (resized).JPG
#2924 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

The tortuga spinner will flake off white "snow" for the first hundred or so games. It gets everywhere

Is this a common problem? My POTC has been locked in a winter blizzard for like 3 years. I’ve always felt it was the Tortuga spinner decal. But I’ve never seen localized proof, just white flakes all over the playfield and the balls. I’ve cleaned, waxed and vacuumed my game a dozen times. I have a new backup decal, but it’s the same textured one, which I assume will do the same thing?

#2925 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Use a high quality wax, something high in carnuba.

I have used Meguiar’s cleaner wax for years and I am a big fan. Very gentle yet works pretty well to clean moderately dusty playfields. Heavier soil might call for Novus 2. Meguiar’s smells kinda like banana too, unlike some stinkier ones.

POTC is such a beautiful pf. One of my favs. I have a backup pf I bought to hang up and put LEDs behind the inserts.

9704A35A-2E61-400D-9AFA-B7DE38B67611 (resized).jpeg9704A35A-2E61-400D-9AFA-B7DE38B67611 (resized).jpeg
#2926 2 years ago

play it a little bit before you go tearing it down to clean the hard to reach areas. The tortuga spinner will flake off white "snow" for the first hundred or so games. It gets everywhere

So you mean I've been blaming the wax I used this whole time? I put a new decal on with my teardown and now I know where its coming from. Those flakes get everywhere but especially on the rubber (slings, flippers). Learn something every day on this site. Thanks

#2927 2 years ago
Quoted from The-Hum:

Hi All,

If you do a teardown everyone on here will agree that you can't possibly take enough pictures. Take them with some order of teardown in mind so that you know to go in reverse order on the rebuild. I found that I needed more broad regional pictures than I took during my most recent teardown. That helps identify which screws and posts were where before you pulled them.

#2929 2 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

So you mean I've been blaming the wax I used this whole time? I put a new decal on with my teardown and now I know where its coming from. Those flakes get everywhere but especially on the rubber (slings, flippers). Learn something every day on this site. Thanks

I'm pretty sure it is the culprit. When I got my machine it was like new with very few plays on it. There was no wear anywhere but once I started playing I started noticing the snow. I could get most of it with compressed air. After a 100 games or so it started to decrease and now at 500+ it doesn't seem to be doing it at all anymore. I did buy some protective vinyl to install over top of the graphic to keep it from wearing. Have not installed it yet though

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWPKZCF

#2930 2 years ago

I ordered the JJPOTC Devil’s Triangle mod from the mod couple out of curiosity to see if it would fit anywhere on the Stern. I added a green led strip inside but will need to hot glue it in place to make sure it stays. Connected it with a quick connect bulb under the plastic. Still need to add a bracket and post for the rear mount hole.

This is the best place I have found for it so far, but anyone think it would fit/look better elsewhere?

319BBAB5-1FF3-495F-B78C-78AE34425FB7 (resized).jpeg319BBAB5-1FF3-495F-B78C-78AE34425FB7 (resized).jpeg4894823D-FAB6-4571-A500-F4035805B586 (resized).jpeg4894823D-FAB6-4571-A500-F4035805B586 (resized).jpeg9142594A-3342-40C7-8252-306FA4E72E6A (resized).jpeg9142594A-3342-40C7-8252-306FA4E72E6A (resized).jpegB62E913B-805F-4AF3-B4A6-1D3803FEBA8E (resized).jpegB62E913B-805F-4AF3-B4A6-1D3803FEBA8E (resized).jpeg
#2931 2 years ago
Quoted from Grindhouse:

I ordered the JJPOTC Devil’s Triangle mod from the mod couple out of curiosity to see if it would fit anywhere on the Stern. I added a green led strip inside but will need to hot glue it in place to make sure it stays. Connected it with a quick connect bulb under the plastic. Still need to add a bracket and post for the rear mount hole.
This is the best place I have found for it so far, but anyone think it would fit/look better elsewhere?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like it.

#2932 2 years ago

I did as you said - skipping the tear down for now (need to wait for a rubber kit anyway).
A good cleaning and wax really woke this table up. It went from quite lazy and slow to having quite a bit of speed.

I want to change some lights, like the spot lights on the ship I think would look cool in green. This would be a conversion to LED.
Do I need an extra board to do this or is it just plug and play with new bulbs?

#2933 2 years ago
Quoted from The-Hum:

I did as you said - skipping the tear down for now (need to wait for a rubber kit anyway).
A good cleaning and wax really woke this table up. It went from quite lazy and slow to having quite a bit of speed.
I want to change some lights, like the spot lights on the ship I think would look cool in green. This would be a conversion to LED.
Do I need an extra board to do this or is it just plug and play with new bulbs?

I like the spotlights to stay the yellow but I know others use the green there. I used a green led for the light behind the kracken though. Lights up that area all green when you are battling the kracken and looks awesome.

#2934 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Leds are installed in the ship and draw power from the flasher - so flasher is still active with the leds
If anyone wants to look at the instructions download here:
http://www.weirpinball.com/mods/POTC%20mod%20instructions.pdf

Ordered, thanks!!

#2935 2 years ago

I sold my POTC and it is getting shipped to Seattle. It's not even gone yet and I already miss it. I'm sure one will be in my gameroom again someday.

#2936 2 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I sold my POTC and it is getting shipped to Seattle. It's not even gone yet and I already miss it. I'm sure one will be in my gameroom again someday.

Well - it will be loved in its new home!

#2937 2 years ago

Gave myself some late xmas gifts, color DMDs for several pins and I strongly advise against ever doing this kind of upgrade!!

DwUlfnO (resized).jpgDwUlfnO (resized).jpg

I am now cursed of any future pin I get with a DMD display will have to be upgraded.... there is no going back.

#2938 2 years ago
Quoted from pencilneck:

Gave myself some late xmas gifts, color DMDs for several pins and I strongly advise against ever doing this kind of upgrade!!
[quoted image]
I am now cursed of any future pin I get with a DMD display will have to be upgraded.... there is no going back.

Awesome! Is that the "large dots" setting on an LCD color DMD? Curious about LCD or LED color DMD's on this title. I had the LED model on my STTNG and really liked it.

#2939 2 years ago

I went with LCD on all of them. I have Pirates set up with the tile setting, square grid pattern, that was the best one for this pin IMHO. Most other pins I set them to the hi res scaling where is "blends" things together.

#2940 2 years ago

Clearing out some old parts on the shelf - found some used slings signed by Dennis Nordman. Let me know if you are interested.

DSCN2551 (resized).JPGDSCN2551 (resized).JPG

DSCN2552 (resized).JPGDSCN2552 (resized).JPG
#2941 2 years ago

Just setup a PotC which has a bit of an annoying and kind of loud noise in the spinning disk (upper left). The game only has two dozen games on it, since it was stored for many years (in what appears to have been non-temperature controlled space) and I suspect the motor might have 'aged' while in storage. Can anyone else confirm that the spinning disk should or should not make a fairly noticable whirling noice when it's running? I confirmed the noise is not the ball banging into the targets, but the motor itself.

Assuming its the motor, it's easy enough to buy a replacement, and looking at the manual seems relatively easy to swap. Anyone with experience otherwise let me know.

Aside from this noise, this example is essentially brand new... not even a ball track on the playfield or ramps.

Let the modding begin!

#2942 2 years ago

Just setup a PotC which has a bit of an annoying and kind of loud noise in the spinning disk (upper left).

Stern's website has a service bulletin about lubricating the spinning disc. I'd try that.

#2943 2 years ago

I'm sure I will rejoin in the future, but I'll miss my POTC.

20211228_172429 (resized).jpg20211228_172429 (resized).jpg20211228_172607 (resized).jpg20211228_172607 (resized).jpg
#2944 2 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

Look at page 99 of the manual. That shows the GI/fuse layout. When I was rebuilding my machine one of the add on spotlights (alligators) someone before me added must have shorted and I blew out the F1 fuse (upper left GIs). The f2 fuse is upper R GIs. Might be something as simple as that.

Thanks! Was out of the country. I’ll dig into it this weekend. It looks like most, if not if the GI is out, actually. Must be a fuse or fuses….

Loving the new translite and shooter rod though!

3B23659F-17C7-42A9-94A0-0473E1E0B9FE (resized).jpeg3B23659F-17C7-42A9-94A0-0473E1E0B9FE (resized).jpeg
#2945 2 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Thanks! Was out of the country. I’ll dig into it this weekend. It looks like most, if not if the GI is out, actually. Must be a fuse or fuses….
Loving the new translite and shooter rod though! [quoted image]

Where's that translite from?

#2946 2 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

Where's that translite from?

Seller on eBay makes them. Doesn't look like he has any now - but guessing he'll make more.

ebay.com link: pugsotoys5zpt

#2947 2 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Seller on eBay makes them. Doesn't look like he has any now - but guessing he'll make more.
ebay.com link: pugsotoys5zpt

Correct. I'm sure if you contact him you can get one. He has a couple other options, but I'm happy I went with this one.

ebay.com link: itm

#2948 2 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Loving the new translite and shooter rod though! [quoted image]

Love the new translite as well! Good job!

I noticed the picture of your front panel where the coin door is mounted and it reminded me to ask other owenrs if ALL of these PotC units have the coin door recessed at the top but surface mounted on the bottom? Your picture looks like it is, and the new machine I just got has the same coin door recessed at the top, but on the surface on the bottom. It's kind of weird, so I made a custom spacer to have the coin door sit evenly on the surface of the front wooden panel. It's a nit, but it's odd that they would make all of them with the coin door uneven, top to bottom.

#2949 2 years ago

It's kind of weird, so I made a custom spacer to have the coin door sit evenly on the surface of the front wooden panel. It's a nit, but it's odd that they would make all of them with the coin door uneven, top to bottom.

It's for taking coins.

Set the playfield at 6 1/2 degrees or higher, the coin chutes are no longer level. And often won't take coins. Recess the coin door on top and then the coin mechs are closer to level and accept coins better.

#2950 2 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Correct. I'm sure if you contact him you can get one. He has a couple other options, but I'm happy I went with this one.
ebay.com link: itm

I contacted him about the translites, and he is re-listing them now. Apparently he also has some new POTC art blades getting listed also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/59?hl=wamonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.