Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 76.
#2751 2 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

It’s a personal preference. One isn’t better than the other, they’re just different.
I prefer the LCD over LED (when the LCD will fit - which it will in POTC) and I like the DotsXL mode.
Order straight from ColorDMD and it will ship out right away with all the right cables!

So did you buy one?

If so, LCD or LED?

I'm looking at it too, just on the fence as to which one to buy. If more folks chime in, might make the buy easier. I get that its personal preference, but I've never seen either.

Thanks

#2752 2 years ago

I have the LCD and think it looks great

#2753 2 years ago

I installed a LED on my buddies game and it looks great. I still need to get one for mine.

#2754 2 years ago

Lcd for mine.

#2755 2 years ago

Just bought Lcd. Hopefully have it in a few days.

#2756 2 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

So did you buy one?
If so, LCD or LED?

If an LCD fits , that’s my choice. I like the DotsXL mode.

#2757 2 years ago

Everyone says to buy LCD and go DOTSXL, I did and love it. You don't have that option with the LED.

#2758 2 years ago

I had a LCD in mine and replaced it with an LED. Hands down it looks 10 times better than LCD.

#2759 2 years ago

Check this vid that shows both.

#2760 2 years ago

Recently, when I turn my game on I'm hearing a bunch of crackling speaker noise. I'm thinking it might be a loose speaker connection/ground/capacitor issue. Anyone have any ideas on where to start looking? Game plays fine, just has concerning speaker sounds when turned on.

#2761 2 years ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

Recently, when I turn my game on I'm hearing a bunch of crackling speaker noise. I'm thinking it might be a loose speaker connection/ground/capacitor issue. Anyone have any ideas on where to start looking? Game plays fine, just has concerning speaker sounds when turned on.

I’ve seen this on older games that have had a ton of plays. My guess is the speaker is old and dirty and maybe needs replacing. Of course move your wires around first and see if it changes anything. Love to hear what others think.

#2762 2 years ago

Happy to join the club. I always add powered subwoofers to my modern games, wow what a difference on this one.

What difficulty settings do people generally use on this game? I have read it an be a bit on the easier side.

20210706_231138 (resized).jpg20210706_231138 (resized).jpg
#2763 2 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

I had a LCD in mine and replaced it with an LED. Hands down it looks 10 times better than LCD.

I too like the LED over the LCD.

#2764 2 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Happy to join the club. I always add powered subwoofers to my modern games, wow what a difference on this one.
What difficulty settings do people generally use on this game? I have read it an be a bit on the easier side.
[quoted image]

Congrats! And depends on what you mean by easy. Let us know when you get to Four Winds Multiball.

#2765 2 years ago

Color DMD BiiittccHH!!!

DB072082-0FF0-4B37-B15D-16E13A19F95D (resized).jpegDB072082-0FF0-4B37-B15D-16E13A19F95D (resized).jpeg
#2766 2 years ago

What Blades have you added to you're Pirates?
Mirror or a Printed version.
Any pic's as I'm not 100% sure what I would like to do atm..

Thinking on mirror tbh, but would like to see what you might have

#2767 2 years ago

LOL, point taken.

Another question, what playgield angle is considered the best for this game?

Quoted from maffewl:

Congrats! And depends on what you mean by easy. Let us know when you get to Four Winds Multiball.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"bd2eb6ca04f0b8e30a69bf10ba807a21076b7994-1625671268-1800"};
//]]>

#2768 2 years ago

Is that LCD or LED?

Can anyone post the other in kind of the same pic for comparison?

#2769 2 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

Is that LCD or LED?
Can anyone post the other in kind of the same pic for comparison?

I ordered LCD. It appears to have 5 adjustments. You can remove the dots and have a smooth screen if you want. I’m still debating which one I like more. I purchased the LCD because that’s what most people were recommending. Then after I ordered it, people started liking LED. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

#2770 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I ordered LCD. It appears to have 5 adjustments. You can remove the dots and have a smooth screen if you want. I’m still debating which one I like more. I purchased the LCD because that’s what most people were recommending. Then after I ordered it, people started liking LED. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

You can’t go wrong either way. It’s going to always be 50/50 on who likes what. They both look good and color really makes the display look good. I’ve still haven’t got one on any game yet but intend to in the future.

#2771 2 years ago

Hires mode on the LCD looks amazing. I wanted to swap in the less expensive PIN2DMD LED, but when I tried it, I immediately noticed the LED just isn't as nice as the Hires LCD mode. I think LCD hires only works well if the dots are really well done: so far only 2 games I've preferred that mode: LoTR and now PoTC.

#2772 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I think LCD hires only works well if the dots are really well done: so far only 2 games I've preferred that mode: LoTR and now PoTC.

Thanks for the compliment ! Glad you’re enjoying POTC and the ColorDMD - it took me months to complete! I like the Big Dots XL mode, but that’s personal preference.
New topic - I found these “kraken legs” at a haunted house show - I resisted buying a complete set

2A660479-58B4-4BCD-86B0-2D3233E03905 (resized).jpeg2A660479-58B4-4BCD-86B0-2D3233E03905 (resized).jpeg
#2773 2 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

Thanks for the compliment ! Glad you’re enjoying POTC and the ColorDMD - it took me months to complete! I like the Big Dots XL mode, but that’s personal preference.

Well, I actually meant the original graphic dots by whoever did the animations is what makes the most difference. But a good colorization certainly helps. Or did you change the dots too? I know some have done that on PIN2DMD, like Street Fighter, didn't think any had been done that way with ColorDMD though.

#2774 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Well, I actually meant the original graphic dots by whoever did the animations is what makes the most difference.

Ooops - My bad. Yes, the dots by Mark Galvez are really good. I just added a little color to what was already there. “

#2775 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

It very well may work. The motor is used in the compass is also used in shakers. At least, that is what I replaced mine with and its been working fine.

I've tried the crc with lubricant on the motor for tortuga and so far it's worked great. At first the motor seemed eerily quiet. I only sprayed 4 targeted shots around the lower motor shaft and the upper motor shaft where stern says to put 3 in 1 oil in the tech doc. 3 in 1 didn't remove the squeak but the crc did. Worked great. No more squeaky tortuga.

#2776 2 years ago

Just had my POTC for a couple of weeks, and today when I sent a ball up in the disc, I could hear it rubbing on metal. Only happens when a ball(s) is on the disk. If I just start the disc in diagnostics, it doesn't make the scraping noise. Before I start to take it apart to investigate, any ideas or have others had this issue before? Trying to gauge what I should be looking for.

#2777 2 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

I could hear it rubbing on metal.

The rubber on top the disc worn off to bare metal ?

LTG : )

#2778 2 years ago

Still trying to find the source of the light under the two swords in the middle of the flashers. Has anyone seen this coil control in the menu? Or the manual? Every pin I could find on youtube did not have this flash during attract mode and their pins only flashed during pop hits. Nothing triggers it in the menu that I can find. I have a normal bulb in it.

how do you test it and what controls it?

Screenshot_20210716-234114_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210716-234114_Gallery (resized).jpg
#2779 2 years ago

You mean the decal? Not the decal, it is in perfect shape.

Quoted from LTG:

The rubber on top the disc worn off to bare metal ?

#2780 2 years ago

I purchased this game for my wife after noticing she played it on location every time we came across it. The only modifications we made were adding a color DMD and Pin Stadium lights. They both are fantastic additions to this game. Any other home run modification suggestions for this game?

It's also a fan favorite. Everyone who visits enjoys the game. I have it right beside Batman Dark Knight. We have room for one more DMD game to sit beside those games!

#2781 2 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

You mean the decal? Not the decal, it is in perfect shape.

How's the decal ? Still have tiny rubber nubs on it to throw the ball ?

I ask because mine sounded bad when it wore down.

#2782 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Still trying to find the source of the light under the two swords in the middle of the flashers. Has anyone seen this coil control in the menu? Or the manual? Every pin I could find on youtube did not have this flash during attract mode and their pins only flashed during pop hits. Nothing triggers it in the menu that I can find. I have a normal bulb in it.
how do you test it and what controls it?[quoted image]

To answer my own question, I figured out that the right backwall flasher coil #30 also controls the pop swords PF flasher. The bulb must have been loose in the socket, got it workin now and they flash together

#2783 2 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Any other home run modification suggestions for this game?

Not a big mod but a basic thing was adding parchment paper to the heart chest lights. Diffuses the light. Mine went from 4 little lights behind the heart flashing to the whole heart lighting up with the beats.

#2784 2 years ago
Quoted from SunMonkeyAZ:

Not a big mod but a basic thing was adding parchment paper to the heart chest lights. Diffuses the light. Mine went from 4 little lights behind the heart flashing to the whole heart lighting up with the beats.

Yes, that is a must do mod. Easy and makes the chest light up much more uniform.

#2785 2 years ago
Quoted from SunMonkeyAZ:

Is there a place that tells you how to do this? Sounds great, I’m not sure how adding parchment would light up the chest.

Davey Jones 4 ball multi-ball is awesome with the ship going up and down

#2786 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Is there a place that tells you how to do this?

You can search this topic for it. Top right side.

#2787 2 years ago
Quoted from SunMonkeyAZ:

Thanks for the tip!

#2788 2 years ago

Looks like page 30 & 31 discuss the chest. I guess you put two pieces of parchment paper between the chest light and the chest. Another option was to lightly spray paint the top underside of the chest white or silver. I read through it quickly. Might want to double check.

#2789 2 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

I purchased this game for my wife after noticing she played it on location every time we came across it. The only modifications we made were adding a color DMD and Pin Stadium lights. They both are fantastic additions to this game. Any other home run modification suggestions for this game?
It's also a fan favorite. Everyone who visits enjoys the game. I have it right beside Batman Dark Knight. We have room for one more DMD game to sit beside those games!

Best mod I did was adding the custom code with music from the Disney ride. Sounds great to me.

#2790 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Best mod I did was adding the custom code with music from the Disney ride. Sounds great to me.

Will that cause any issues with the color DMD software?

#2791 2 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Will that cause any issues with the color DMD software?

Unless somebody is editing the images sent to the DMD, a sound mod won’t impact a ColorDMD.

#2792 2 years ago

Foolish mortals. It will not cause any issues with the DMD.

#2793 2 years ago

And by the way the LED DMD is still the best for POTC. The rest of you crackers are wrong.

#2794 2 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

And by the way the LED DMD is still the best for POTC. The rest of you crackers are wrong.

Teddyb73 has the best sound mod for potc. I personally run Pin2dmd on pirates and it looks great.

#2795 2 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Teddyb can you say what exactly makes it so much better? In the video I posted a while back it seemed almost the same.

#2796 2 years ago

Are the sound mods available out there? I read the topic on it, but most of the links are dead now. Anybody have live links?

Quoted from Stebel:

Teddyb73 has the best sound mod for potc. I personally run Pin2dmd on pirates and it looks great.

#2797 2 years ago

I was just messing with you guys calling you crackers. But in my opinion what makes it better. The colors are more brighter vibrant and more defined with the images. LED also looks better for video footage of movie clips. Iron Man, Spider-Man, Indiana Jones, Transformers etc.

#2798 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Thanks Stebel I appreciate that!

#2800 2 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

I was just messing with you guys calling you crackers. But in my opinion what makes it better. The colors are more brighter vibrant and more defined with the images. LED also looks better for video footage of movie clips. Iron Man, Spider-Man, Indiana Jones, Transformers etc.

Good point on the movie clips.
Found this quote when I was looking for something else in the forums-

LCD provides more display options including larger dots and the blending of the dots to create solid text and pictures (high resolution upscaling). It looks good straight on but is dimmer. You can really see this at an angle. It is larger since it is basically a laptop display.

LED is brighter and just has the ability to display dots. The colors pop. The size is exactly the same as original display. The price is a little less.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 218.00
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.