Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 76.
#2601 3 years ago

Question: Has anyone seen a spinning disc decal like this? Anyone know if this is the original? I'd be a bit surprised if it wasn't since the game is in excellent shape, but I haven't been able to find one for replacement anywhere. It's still in pretty good shape but is starting to show some wear. Maybe I'll try spraying something on it for protection. Seems like I saw a few posts about that somewhere in this thread, among the 2600 other posts...

IMG_2523 (resized).JPGIMG_2523 (resized).JPG
#2602 3 years ago

I think the stock one is a compass.

#2603 3 years ago
Quoted from AmmoSki:

Question: Has anyone seen a spinning disc decal like this? Anyone know if this is the original?

That was on the very first games.

LTG : )

#2604 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That was on the very first games.

Yeah, looking at the manufacture date on my machine, it was built in the second month of production. So I'm out of luck, eh? Protect it or replace it, eventually. Thanks for the info

#2605 3 years ago

After the rubber nubs wore off on mine. I picked up clear, non skid, stuff for bathtub floors. Piece I had didn't cover the whole thing. I made two half circles. Stuck it on the disc. Has worked fine ever since. Still chucks the balls around.

About a 1/3rd of my art work was wore off though.

#2606 3 years ago

That is the spinning disk decal used on Sega's Lost In Space the must have had some left over at the factory.

#2607 3 years ago
Quoted from TomT:

That is the spinning disk decal used on Sega's Lost In Space the must have had some left over at the factory.

Well, sure enough! https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4442&picno=21434

Now I'm wondering why I would want to keep a cheap surplus decal on my game...

#2608 3 years ago

Hey guys just picked up a nice POTC. Does anyone have a sneeze guard that they would part with? I plan on getting the air ball mod but my ocd is taking over and I want everything to keep it original. I’m also looking for the goodie bag if anyone has one they’d sell. Thanks

#2609 3 years ago
Quoted from KongDonkey:

Does anyone have a sneeze guard that they would part with?

I think I just threw up a little bit.

#2610 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Haha yeah me too..don’t worry I’m getting your mod shortly!

#2611 3 years ago

While the participants in this thread don't need to watch somebody play the PinMame version of Stern's POTC, I'm posting a link to the Mike Lorraine video where we talk about the licensing, the sounds and stories related to its development. Feel free to ignore this if it irritates you.

arrrrrr

ddt

#2612 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

That makes two of us. Couldn’t wait to rip that bulky ugly thing out of the game. It should never have been built like that in the first place.

#2613 3 years ago

Hey all - what's a clean and working Stern PotC go for these days in the midwest? I'm going to start hunting and pecking and want to know where the game sits value wise right now.

#2614 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Hey all - what's a clean and working Stern PotC go for these days in the midwest? I'm going to start hunting and pecking and want to know where the game sits value wise right now.

I'd say right around $5K. If you are patient, you can prolly find a nice HUO for that price. It's a very fun game for young and old. It's been here for many years and not going anywhere.

#2615 3 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I'd say right around $5K. If you are patient, you can prolly find a nice HUO for that price. It's a very fun game for young and old. It's been here for many years and not going anywhere.

That's what I assumed. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'd drop $5k on a nice HUO for sure.

#2616 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I just bought one in November just a touch under 5K. I had talked to many around the country in my search for a great HUO machine. I found many. Almost all were in the 5K range, some a bit less, many much more. I am completely satisfied with my purchase. My machine looks like it was right out of the box. I can't find any real wear items on it. The gentleman I bought from was up front in that the flippers were weak and had a buzz! He replaced them prior to my picking it up. He also advised me that the ship's hull had cracking due to the ball hitting the hull (stupid design, and I've since heard that almost all do), he regardless comped me for the ship. After a three month wait, (horrible shipping from Germany), I finally received what may be the last "new" hull that was out there for sale. I have not done anything with it yet, but I'm looking to find a plastic manufacturer who might be able to reproduce it as just about everyone with a Stern POTC is in the same "boat" with theirs. But back to the game, you'll find many out there. Be picky and you too will find a nice one. As far as my wish list for it, I'd like...

1) A shaker motor that really works with it.
2) A good color DMD.

Otherwise, I find the game challenging and fun. 68MM is my highest score so far. I think it's tough, most old codgers would probably say that I'm just a lousy player. Good luck!

#2617 3 years ago

Its a good game for my wife, but it sounds like the depth is there for me. I've played it on location a bunch, but seldom is the machine maintained ha.

So yeah, I think $5k will be my limit. Less would be great, but I don't see why I should go over right now. I'm in zero hurry and will fill the hole as it becomes available.

Is there any specific mechanism that I should really eyeball to make sure I'm not going to have to spend a fortune in repairs?

#2618 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

So yeah, I think $5k will be my limit. Less would be great, but I don't see why I should go over right now. I'm in zero hurry and will fill the hole as it becomes available.

The machines are all pretty much the same. Just make sure that the field is in good shape. This guy had a very nice HUO machine (his family hated to part with it). I had a couple mods. He was a bit above 5K as I remember. Maybe he still has it... You could PM him and see. Seemed like a straightshooter. Let him know I sent you and let me know how it goes

BADBILLY27
Pinsider #6510

#2619 3 years ago

What does the damage to the ship look like? Mine is still in good shape but if there is something I should do to reinforce it I will. Just not sure what breaks off. Looks pretty beefy where the ball hits.

#2620 3 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

The machines are all pretty much the same. Just make sure that the field is in good shape. This guy had a very nice HUO machine (his family hated to part with it). I had a couple mods. He was a bit above 5K as I remember. Maybe he still has it... You could PM him and see. Seemed like a straightshooter. Let him know I sent you and let me know how it goes
BADBILLY27
Pinsider #6510

Thanks!

#2621 3 years ago

Hello,

I was wondering is somebody overseas with an export machine could please verify if they have this connection in the back left side of the backbox for their POTC? It is the 120VAC source for the fluorescent light.

Thank you!

Robert

Photo Mar 12, 4 55 38 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Mar 12, 4 55 38 PM (resized).jpg
#2622 3 years ago

Ahoy Mateys!

Okay, that was corny, but I do need your help.

Just got a really nice POTC. I had one before and I missed it, so I had to get it back.

Okay, here’s the question. In this pin, I can’t get any multiballs to register in this game. I remember after sinking the ship I would get a 2 ball multiball to fight the Kraken and mine just does one ball. I spelled HEART in the chest and it says multiball, but the game never shoots out the extra balls. I thought when you hit the upper left playfield and the ball is spinning around in the timer mode, I recalled the game would shoot out a ball while giving you the chance to at least knock 2 more balls up their while the disc was still spinning. Am I wrong? I remember playing it like that in my old Pirates pin.

I went to setting and changed the factory difficult on those modes from the recommended medium settings to easy, but still nothing. I installed and un-installed the directors cut, but to no avail. Every now and then a ball won’t register in the trough, so I don’t know if that’s the problem or not because it doesn’t happen very much.

Any help would be appreciate because this problem sure does diminish some of the fun factor in this game.

Thanks in advance.

#2623 3 years ago

Do you have 4 pinballs installed in the Ball Trough? I have 5 installed in mine.

#2624 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsunami:

Do you have 4 pinballs installed in the Ball Trough? I have 5 installed in mine.

Thank you sir, I’ll check that. I only have 4, but I couldn’t remember how many the game required. Thanks!

#2625 3 years ago

Just bought a very nice POTC a few months ago. As part of the deal, the seller rebuilt the flippers. I too have some issues with flipper power and making Tortuga. Is there a "flipper strength" setting to boost the power like on a JJ machine. On my Hobbit I could set flipper strength.

Circling back around, I put a stronger coil on my machine, plays a million times better now. Would love to do it for the pop bumper kick out coil but not seeing anything that’s similar? I’ve replaced that whole mech and it still doesn’t kick out 100% of the time...any suggestions are welcome!

#2626 3 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Thank you sir, I’ll check that. I only have 4, but I couldn’t remember how many the game required. Thanks!

Should only have four. Definitely don’t want more, that can confuse the game.

#2627 3 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Should only have four. Definitely don’t want more, that can confuse the game.

Yeah, it's a ball trough issue. The game was shipped to me on it's legs, so I'm sure all of the jarring around probably did something to it. I contacted Lloyd and he gave me some pointers on how to fix it. Was going to fix it yesterday, but I got that (1) shot covid shot Saturday morning and it kinda kicked my butt.

Thanks for responding though. Had this game and missed it, so I had to get it back. The one I got is beautiful with so many cool mods. Very happy with the purchase, as soon as I get the ball trough issue fixed.

#2628 3 years ago

Hi everyone, my ship hull (545-6179-00) is breaking, I can't find the part anywhere, do you know where I can buy it?

#2629 3 years ago

Yo! Pin2dmd colorization was updated. Fixes with scene "Light Timed Ball Lock" now its was made by Layered Color mask. Better displayed on real pins than earlier. Who got colorizations for real pins, please re download your personal link. Cheers!

#2630 3 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

Hi everyone, my ship hull (545-6179-00) is breaking, I can't find the part anywhere, do you know where I can buy it?

I just bought the last one in existence. It came out of Germany. Last that they had! I looked everywhere else with no luck. I have not installed it yet. I was hoping to find a fabricator who could reproduce a bunch from it for a good price. If anyone knows a source, let me know. If not maybe I should put it out on eBay for highest bid.

#2631 3 years ago

It should be relatively easy to replicate, if some of these mod guys could make a mold from it and then paint it they could sell tons if they are starting to break over the years now. I have a NOS one that I’m holding onto for that reason.

#2632 3 years ago

Its not that big either so it would easily fit on one of those consumer 3d scanners. You could scan it and create a virtual model which could be 3d printed. Then the possibilities are endless.

#2633 3 years ago

Contact Jody @ramp-o-matic. He may be interested in doing that one. Seems pretty straight forward

#2634 3 years ago

I just bought the last one in existence. It came out of Germany. Last that they had! I looked everywhere else with no luck. I have not installed it yet. I was hoping to find a fabricator who could reproduce a bunch from it for a good price. If anyone knows a source, let me know. If not maybe I should put it out on eBay for highest bid.

or Pinball Inc. https://www.pinballinc.com/

Mine is in good shape - but I'd be in for a backup.

#2635 3 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Mine is in good shape - but I'd be in for a backup.

Could we have a sort of little poll here? How many folks would be interested? I have no idea of the cost of this, but would try to keep it down. The OEM replacement was $110.

#2636 3 years ago

Could we have a sort of little poll here? How many folks would be interested? I have no idea of the cost of this, but would try to keep it down. The OEM replacement was $110.

Yes for me.

#2637 3 years ago

I'd be in for one to have a back up

#2638 3 years ago

Super yes for me, I can't wait

#2639 3 years ago

I would buy a reasonably priced one.

#2640 3 years ago

I would be on board

#2641 3 years ago

Count me in too.

#2642 3 years ago

What is the minimum number of members so that you can do the replica hulls?

#2643 3 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

What is the minimum number of members so that you can do the replica hulls?

So far I've had two places tell me they couldn't replicate! I thought 3D printing was simple... If anyone has a source to do it, let me know. I'm keeping my original OEM unused until we get a plan.

#2644 3 years ago

So far I've had two places tell me they couldn't replicate! I thought 3D printing was simple... If anyone has a source to do it, let me know. I'm keeping my original OEM unused until we get a plan.

I hope you can find someone who can replicate, it would be great for all potc holders I would take at least 2

#2645 3 years ago

Well, it's not easy but there are tools out there to scan items and create 3d models. Creating from scratch would be a challenge so someone that could scan it would be the best bet. I've used an old kinect camera to create 3d models but it wouldn't be high enough quality for this project.

There is also photogrammetry software out there where you use high quality photos to create a 3d model.

1 week later
#2646 3 years ago

Joined the club this week! We purchased ours from Papa. It is setup brutal on purpose. Nobody has walked the plank yet. Feels like the upper playfield pitched downhill to make it harder. Anyone have ideas on how to make it easier to hit that shot?

And I would be in for a haul!

1 week later
#2647 3 years ago

Hello everybody,
I present to you my new DIY topper for POTC. It is almost definitive, the bandana same as the original one with the pendant is missing because I can't find it and then I have to reinforce the structure of the swords

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 12.25.56 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 12.25.56 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 12.25.56(1) (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 12.25.56(1) (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 17.50.34 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 17.50.34 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 18.54.45 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 18.54.45 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 21.14.44 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 21.14.44 (resized).jpeg
#2648 3 years ago

How much a copy for one?

#2649 3 years ago

Hi, thank you for the request but I didn't do it to sell it, I don't even know if I could make another one, I took pieces scattered from various shops and I did it for fun

#2650 3 years ago

If you need help on how to make it happen I am very happy to be able to offer it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/53?hl=gordonshumway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.