IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0565 (resized).jpeg

There are 3,766 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 76.
#2501 3 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

Play it safe and add Maffewl's PotC Airball Deflector

I made a "rope bridge" protector, it seems to work to block balls and it doesn't look so bad.

IMG_20201023_232121 (resized).jpgIMG_20201023_232121 (resized).jpgIMG_20201023_232840 (resized).jpgIMG_20201023_232840 (resized).jpgIMG_20201023_232856 (resized).jpgIMG_20201023_232856 (resized).jpgIMG_20201023_232937 (resized).jpgIMG_20201023_232937 (resized).jpg
#2502 3 years ago
Quoted from DystopicPinball:

I made a "rope bridge" protector, it seems to work to block balls and it doesn't look so bad.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks great! Did you 3d print that?

Looks like you live in Italy but I would love to get one of those from you if possible. Let me know. Thanks

#2503 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

That looks great! Did you 3d print that?
Looks like you live in Italy but I would love to get one of those from you if possible. Let me know. Thanks

Thanks,
added it to my shop. Not so much cheap because require lot of printing and painting time.
In any case, if anyone is interested, it's available.

#2504 3 years ago

Thanks,
added it to my shop. Not so much cheap because require lot of printing and painting time.
In any case, if anyone is interested, it's available.

Ok, Ill check it out.

Thanks

#2505 3 years ago

Restoration of my PotC continue. There was no image on my spinning disc.
I made one with photoshop, printed in high quality vinyl sticker and covered with ultra scratch resistant transparent film.
IMG_20201026_100244 (resized).jpgIMG_20201026_100244 (resized).jpgP_20201026_100944 (resized).jpgP_20201026_100944 (resized).jpg

#2506 3 years ago

Will have a huo POTC up for sale soon . Let me know if interested.

#2507 3 years ago

I made one with photoshop, printed in high quality vinyl sticker and covered with ultra scratch resistant transparent film.

I've found the clear anti slip sticker for bath tubs works great. Doesn't make a mess like the original, and lasts a heck of a long time.

LTG : )

#2508 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I've found the clear anti slip sticker for bath tubs works great. Doesn't make a mess like the original, and lasts a heck of a long time.

I will have to try that.

#2509 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Personally, in 5 years of play I never had one airball. So think this will be game specific.

I installed Maffewl’s ball guard and I need it on my game. I can see when the ball hits it. Primarily the pirate stand up targets cause it and especially the one to the left of the Jack ramp. I think it’s a combination of the ball angle from the left flipper and that target must lean back a bit. Pre sneeze guard removal a few balls landed on the rum ramp. They never hit the glass like on same games. So minor air balls on occasion.

#2510 3 years ago

I don't recall having any air balls on mine either. Interesting.

#2511 3 years ago

Airballs are definitely not something that all PotC's experience. However, I have personally seen balls that fly behind the ship (which is why I created the deflector because it was on my machine). It's also an issue that Stern was clearly aware of or else they would have never installed the sneeze guard. They definitely did not do that for giggles. At least I hope they wouldn't have such a sick sense of humor to install that hunk of nastiness.

That said, I'm not trying to sell anyone on the idea of having an airball deflector. They definitely work, and even if it only gives you peace of mind, great. If you don't want one, no problem, you may never see a PotC airball in your life and all is good with the world (well kinda, minus the whole year of 2020 thing...).

#2512 3 years ago

My machine is one of the earlier builds I believe and the targets are incredibly stiff. Whatever is behind them does not flex at all and when the ball hits the targets it has to hit really hard in order to count. On all of my other machines I haven't seen targets that were this hard to trigger. I think that's the reason why my machine was having airballs. Maybe the targets on later versions were not as hard to trigger.

#2513 3 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

My machine is one of the earlier builds I believe and the targets are incredibly stiff. Whatever is behind them does not flex at all and when the ball hits the targets it has to hit really hard in order to count. On all of my other machines I haven't seen targets that were this hard to trigger. I think that's the reason why my machine was having airballs. Maybe the targets on later versions were not as hard to trigger.

It also could be the foam behind your targets has hardened over the years.

#2514 3 years ago

The material is definitely different from what is on current stern machines or even williams machines from the 90s. Very stiff but still spongy to the touch. I've thought about replacing it with something spongier but I've read that other machines are like this so figured it's normal.

#2515 3 years ago

Would anyone happen to still have their ship enclosure plastic with mounting hardware? Most people take them off and throw them out which is what happened to the one I bought for route. Pinballs keep getting stuck above the gate to the kraken from air balls.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2516 3 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

Would anyone happen to still have their ship enclosure plastic with mounting hardware? Most people take them off and throw them out which is what happened to the one I bought for route. Pinballs keep getting stuck above the gate to the kraken from air balls.
[quoted image]

Buy a maffewl air-ball protector. They're inexpensive and work great!! I do still have my sneeze guard but would need $10 plus shipping. You would need your own screws though.

#2517 3 years ago

I ordered the deflector mod, never knew it existed and thanks for the info

#2518 3 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

[quoted image]

I still got a few airballs even with the Meffew mod so I dremmeled a bit off the plastic to let the balls out.

A9A9A3E8-A8BE-41DD-B7F7-AD4B967CF517 (resized).jpegA9A9A3E8-A8BE-41DD-B7F7-AD4B967CF517 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#2519 3 years ago

Howdy Pirates,
I may be a little a little late...but here goes. Does anybody have any leads on a source for a replacement hull?

#2520 3 years ago
Quoted from smoke20:

Howdy Pirates,
I may be a little a little late...but here goes. Does anybody have any leads on a source for a replacement hull?

Freddys pinball (germany)

#2521 3 years ago

My POTC is saying I captured all the pirates when I know I didn’t hit all the stand up targets. I tested the switches and they seem to work fine and I didn’t find anything in the settings. Does anyone have any else to check? TIA!

#2522 3 years ago
Quoted from JP76:

Does anyone have any else to check?

Switch test - bang on playfield. Any too sensitive and register on the DMD ?

#2523 3 years ago
Quoted from JP76:

Does anyone have any else to check?

When you first start the game, you can hit any pirate target as many times to get the first Liars Dice. After that, you need to hit each one. That all depends on your settings too. Have it too easy on that and it may do the same thing. Just something to check before tearing it apart for a mechanical problem.

#2524 3 years ago
Quoted from potc1334:

When you first start the game, you can hit any pirate target as many times to get the first Liars Dice. After that, you need to hit each one. That all depends on your settings too. Have it too easy on that and it may do the same thing. Just something to check before tearing it apart for a mechanical problem.

Do you know which setting this is? I looked through them and didn’t find it.

#2525 3 years ago

I see there are several color DMD's for Stern-POTC. Is there one that is more reliable and vivid?

Also, is there now a complete kit for adding a shaker motor?

Thanks.

#2526 3 years ago
Quoted from JP76:

I looked through them and didn’t find it.

I want to apologize. I thought there was a setting for Liars Dice, but like you, I could not find one either. I spoke without looking further to make sure my facts were accurate.

Still, does this only happen when you get the first Liars Dice for the game or all the time? I did observe when I play, that I can hit one target several times to get the Liars Dice. However, after that first one I have to hit all the targets to acquire the next one and so on (at least, on my pin).

Again, I'm sorry that I gave incorrect information without verifying it first.

#2527 3 years ago

Is there any good option for a shaker motor for POTC?
Also, does anyone know the easiest way to reset high scores?
Is there a way to see the total plays?
What is the latest software?

#2528 3 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

does anyone know the easiest way to reset high scores?

Should be in the menu - resets.

Is there a way to see the total plays?

Should be in audits - can be reset so might not be accurate.

What is the latest software?

Check Stern's website.

#2529 3 years ago

I see firmware 6.0, is that right? Could someone elaborate as to the safe way to update this?

#2530 3 years ago

Mine is at 1.15

#2531 3 years ago

Could someone elaborate as to the safe way to update this?

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb164.pdf

I'd follow Stern's instructions.

#2532 3 years ago

Is there any good option for a shaker motor for POTC?

Pinshakers makes kits which Pinball Life sells. I have a version 1 kit in my POTC which shakes when the disk is spinning and when the ship is hit.

1 week later
#2533 3 years ago

I'm pretty late to the party, but am loving my recent purchase of POTC. I've already ordered an airball deflector from this thread and installed some custom code!

One issue I'm having is that the compass light for 'all pirates completed' turns on very early in the game (usually when I've hit the first ship a couple of times). It then stays on as if I've defeated all pirates, and allows me to collect the southern compass light (when I've also completed Port Royale). The individual pirate lights still work normally, so only turn on one by one when I have defeated the pirates). And I don't actually have to defeat all the pirates to be able to collect the southern compass.

Anybody had this issue or know what the problem might be? I'm running the version 6 code and have erased and tried different versions of it with no success. Thanks!

PXL_20201204_175403809 (1) (resized).jpgPXL_20201204_175403809 (1) (resized).jpg
#2534 3 years ago
Quoted from huwman:

I'm pretty late to the party, but am loving my recent purchase of POTC. I've already ordered an airball deflector from this thread and installed some custom code!
One issue I'm having is that the compass light for 'all pirates completed' turns on very early in the game (usually when I've hit the first ship a couple of times). It then stays on as if I've defeated all pirates, and allows me to collect the southern compass light (when I've also completed Port Royale). The individual pirate lights still work normally, so only turn on one by one when I have defeated the pirates). And I don't actually have to defeat all the pirates to be able to collect the southern compass.
Anybody had this issue or know what the problem might be? I'm running the version 6 code and have erased and tried different versions of it with no success. Thanks![quoted image]

Congrats! What custom code did you install?

#2535 3 years ago
Quoted from huwman:

Anybody had this issue or know what the problem might be? I'm running the version 6 code and have erased and tried different versions of it with no success. Thanks![quoted image]

I agree with marioparty34 in his question. I’d also look at the switches and also go into the switch test to see if there is an issue there. If no physical issue with the switches, next concern would be the code installed.

#2536 3 years ago

I'm building the topper for my Potc. I would like to insert 2 leds in the eyes of the skull but I have no idea how to connect them to the general illumination? Bear in mind that I'm not very good at electronics. Thanks to those who want to help me

20201216_225057 (resized).jpg20201216_225057 (resized).jpg
#2537 3 years ago

I too am a new POTC owner. Been a blast, and I've read the general instructions several times. 40MM is the best I can get so far.

Is there a good basic theme to get points building?

I've got the free software to "massage" the code. Is there any quick down and dirty suggestions to doing the code in the software and then installing (I assume that you simply insert the USB like I did to get it to 6.0)?

We are draining a lot of balls on the side lanes and when battling the ball in the middle, 9 times out of 10 the ball will hit a pirate and very fast drain down the middle. Any cure for that?

#2538 3 years ago

I too am a new POTC owner. Been a blast, and I've read the general instructions several times. 40MM is the best I can get so far.
I've got the free software to "massage" the code. Is there any quick down and dirty suggestions to doing the code in the software and then installing (I assume that you simply insert the USB like I did to get it to 6.0)?
We are draining a lot of balls on the side lanes and when battling the ball in the middle, 9 times out of 10 the ball will hit a pirate and very fast drain down the middle. Any cure for that?

I am not familiar with the free software that can massage the code. Can you please provide a link to it?

#2539 3 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

I'm building the topper for my Potc. I would like to insert 2 leds in the eyes of the skull but I have no idea how to connect them to the general illumination? Bear in mind that I'm not very good at electronics. Thanks to those who want to help me

Since you aren't good at electronics. Maybe consider an external power source. So you don't hurt your game.

#2540 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Since you aren't good at electronics. Maybe consider an external power source. So you don't hurt your game.

Agree with this. If you want to have them coordinate with the GI, I’d recommend a relay to separate the LED circuit from the GI circuit and have the GI only be a trigger.

#2541 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I too had thought of an external power supply but I would not be able to get the effect I want. I want to synchronize the 2 LEDs with the GI so I need to know how to connect them. Thanks

#2542 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Agree with this. If you want to have them coordinate with the GI, I’d recommend a relay to separate the LED circuit from the GI circuit and have the GI only be a trigger.

So is it possible to connect the 2 LEDs to the GI using an external power supply?

#2543 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I agree with marioparty34 in his question. I’d also look at the switches and also go into the switch test to see if there is an issue there. If no physical issue with the switches, next concern would be the code installed.

It's the potc0600YoHoV4b.bin that's on the other thread. Has anyone else installed that? I love the changes but will revert back to the official code to see if that makes a difference. It had a lower version official code installed when I got it, and I don't remember the issue then - but I didn't really understand the rules then so might not have been paying attention!

#2544 3 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

So is it possible to connect the 2 LEDs to the GI using an external power supply?

there is a power connector on the right side in the cabinet. You can use that. If you use leds you can also tap in on the GI. You can solder it on the connection, or use alligator clips. Comet has lamps that piggyback power with a whole set of connections to it. Just replace a lamp in the backboard and you have 6.3v ready there. So old Stern games have I think the GI on 6.3v while the new SPike system runs on 5v. If you use own small leds you need to check what kind of resistor you need in between so your leds wont burn, but If you use like 4 leds in serie then you will already be good to go.
Using the GI in this game to use for powering like 2 or 4 leds will not result in any damage since the current on the old incandescant lights is way higher than 2 or 4 leds. Especially when a lot of the GI is already in LED.

#2545 3 years ago
Quoted from huwman:

It's the potc0600YoHoV4b.bin that's on the other thread. Has anyone else installed that? I love the changes but will revert back to the official code to see if that makes a difference. It had a lower version official code installed when I got it, and I don't remember the issue then - but I didn't really understand the rules then so might not have been paying attention!

I do not know that code but looking at the naming it is a v6 POTC code adjusted with just own music (probably Yoho diffenrt music when kraken is defeate). I do not know of software that can change rules. Pinball browser only adjusts music, some basic setting you can put in prefferences, you can adjust the highscore and video/dmd images. But rules no.

#2546 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I do not know that code but looking at the naming it is a v6 POTC code adjusted with just own music (probably Yoho diffenrt music when kraken is defeate). I do not know of software that can change rules. Pinball browser only adjusts music, some basic setting you can put in prefferences, you can adjust the highscore and video/dmd images. But rules no.

Thanks Peter - I've also had your V9 code on (which is also great!) and I'm pretty sure I had the same problem with the 'all pirates defeated' light. As I said I'm not 100% sure when it started to happen and I've changed code a few times so need to double check to be sure. I'll have time tomorrow to go through it all again and see for sure.

If it's not the code I'll check all the switches, but I'm not getting lots of 'phantom' hits on the ship, and the individual pirate lights are all working properly. It's just giving me the compass light for defeating them all before I have actually defeated them! And then allowing that to contribute to collecting the South point of the compass before I've defeated all the pirates. So basically making it easier to complete all parts of the compass. It's my first pinball machine so I'm no expert, but it feels more like a software than a hardware problem.

#2547 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

there is a power connector on the right side in the cabinet. You can use that. If you use leds you can also tap in on the GI. You can solder it on the connection, or use alligator clips. Comet has lamps that piggyback power with a whole set of connections to it. Just replace a lamp in the backboard and you have 6.3v ready there. So old Stern games have I think the GI on 6.3v while the new SPike system runs on 5v. If you use own small leds you need to check what kind of resistor you need in between so your leds wont burn, but If you use like 4 leds in serie then you will already be good to go.
Using the GI in this game to use for powering like 2 or 4 leds will not result in any damage since the current on the old incandescant lights is way higher than 2 or 4 leds. Especially when a lot of the GI is already in LED.

First of all thank you very much, if I wanted to use 2 red 6.3v leds (all the flipper is already led), do I need the resistor? I attach them each to a lamp of the gi? Sorry for the questions but I'm not very good at electronics

#2548 3 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

First of all thank you very much, if I wanted to use 2 red 6.3v leds (all the flipper is already led), do I need the resistor? I attach them each to a lamp of the gi? Sorry for the questions but I'm not very good at electronics

Yes you can attach each to a GI light. Or put them in serie, will save you a few meters cable.

#2549 3 years ago
Quoted from huwman:

Thanks Peter - I've also had your V9 code on (which is also great!) and I'm pretty sure I had the same problem with the 'all pirates defeated' light. As I said I'm not 100% sure when it started to happen and I've changed code a few times so need to double check to be sure. I'll have time tomorrow to go through it all again and see for sure.
If it's not the code I'll check all the switches, but I'm not getting lots of 'phantom' hits on the ship, and the individual pirate lights are all working properly. It's just giving me the compass light for defeating them all before I have actually defeated them! And then allowing that to contribute to collecting the South point of the compass before I've defeated all the pirates. So basically making it easier to complete all parts of the compass. It's my first pinball machine so I'm no expert, but it feels more like a software than a hardware problem.

You can always go back first to the original code V6, download it from Sterns page. So you know you have a clean version.
Then check the phantom hits. If they remain, it is in your game, do the check via the switch test. If it is over already then it is in the code. But hearing you on phantom hits on the ship, that seems more a bad opto thing. The opto's in this game seem to go bad. So a wiggle coudl already trigger a opto, hence ship hit.

#2550 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

I am not familiar with the free software that can massage the code. Can you please provide a link to it?

Pinball Browser...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hickory, NC
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 218.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chattanooga, TN
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,766 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/51 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.