Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 76.
#2451 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

10500 for a Stern POTC, I will sell mine

he said it sold for $10500 and yes its a stern. Carolina pinball for sale forum. I think he is full of poop

#2452 3 years ago

I just had mine listed for $4950 for eight weeks and I still have it.

#2453 3 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

I just had mine listed for $4950 for eight weeks and I still have it.

Maybe his was immamaculate?

#2454 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

he said it sold for $10500 and yes its a stern. Carolina pinball for sale forum. I think he is full of poop

Maybe buyer confused it for a JJP version ?

LTG : )

#2455 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Maybe buyer confused it for a JJP version ?

No, he did not. And yes, it's being sold at the asking price. I'm not *full* of poop, but I do take regular dumps.

Luckily, Ive got thick enough skin not to be too worried about the know-it-all Price Policing. I know it seemed like a crazy price, and I didn't believe it myself, but a few friends (yes, active pinheads and brick-and-mortar arcade owners in the Southeast) suggested that ours was the nicest example they'd ever seen, and given it's age and very low play count (around 1150), it might fetch a higher price. They suggested that specific selling price; I didn't choose that amount.

I just went with it, like casting a crazy looking lure into an unfamiliar lake. We have hit some major unexpected financial trouble this year (like so many others...fuck COVID) related to medical expenses, employment, etc. Nothing pains me and the wife more that unloading our arcade collection...but, the more we can recoup from these machines, the less we have to take from our 3 boys' college funding.

My initial interested buyer backed out because of the distance and we both hate shipping. I know him from previous posts and he deals with rather expensive, high-end pins. I think he was planning to sell it to someone in Australia, where pickings are apparently very slim and prices are much higher.

New buyer is purchasing for his wife as a surprise anniversary gift. I'm delivering it while they're out of town as a surprise when she gets back.

My personal lesson: Never base my assumptions of *value* on what a handful of keyboard warriors think. There was no harm in asking for a higher-than-typical price. I included OBO on every listing and no one bothered to make any offers that I probably would have gladly taken. The only two potential buyers have been FINE with the value.

Lesson for all of you proud Stern PotC owners...the resale value of your machine may have just gone up!

#2456 3 years ago
Quoted from AgentX:

No, he did not. And yes, it's being sold at the asking price.

Congratulations.

Quoted from AgentX:

I'm not *full* of poop, but I do take regular dumps.

I'm grateful for that.

Quoted from AgentX:

New buyer is purchasing for his wife as a surprise anniversary gift. I'm delivering it while they're out of town as a surprise when she gets back.

Very nice gesture and glad you can help make it happen. She will be thrilled.

Quoted from AgentX:

Lesson for all of you proud Stern PotC owners...the resale value of your machine may have just gone up!

Thank you for that too. I have one of the first twelve with the red compass insert on the playfield. I haven't really thought of selling it, but if it gets into that kind of money I might.

Again congratulations on your sale and glad you can be part of her surprise.

#2457 3 years ago
Quoted from AgentX:

No, he did not. And yes, it's being sold at the asking price. I'm not *full* of poop, but I do take regular dumps.
Luckily, Ive got thick enough skin not to be too worried about the know-it-all Price Policing. I know it seemed like a crazy price, and I didn't believe it myself, but a few friends (yes, active pinheads and brick-and-mortar arcade owners in the Southeast) suggested that ours was the nicest example they'd ever seen, and given it's age and very low play count (around 1150), it might fetch a higher price. They suggested that specific selling price; I didn't choose that amount.
I just went with it, like casting a crazy looking lure into an unfamiliar lake. We have hit some major unexpected financial trouble this year (like so many others...fuck COVID) related to medical expenses, employment, etc. Nothing pains me and the wife more that unloading our arcade collection...but, the more we can recoup from these machines, the less we have to take from our 3 boys' college funding.
My initial interested buyer backed out because of the distance and we both hate shipping. I know him from previous posts and he deals with rather expensive, high-end pins. I think he was planning to sell it to someone in Australia, where pickings are apparently very slim and prices are much higher.
My personal lesson: Never base my assumptions of *value* on what a handful of keyboard warriors think. There was no harm in asking for a higher-than-typical price. I included OBO on every listing and no one bothered to make any offers that I probably would have gladly taken. The only two potential buyers have been FINE with the value.

You should have posted it for sale on pinside at that amazing price. I actually feel like you are doing a disservice to the hobby. If you did sell it for $10500 (2.5 times true value) then you ripped that guy off. I am fine with folks making money but ripping someone off is another story.

#2458 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I am fine with folks making money but ripping someone off is another story.

We don't know the whole story.

The buyer may have kept upping his offer until the guy sold ?

Years ago I had a man wanting to buy my AFM for his wife. I had no interest in selling it at that time. He offered me $5K, then $6 K, he kept going until he hit $15K. I told him no. He left. If he'd been laying hundred dollar bills on the counter, he would have had it at 15K.

I wouldn't want to rip someone off either. But if they make the offer, I wouldn't consider it ripping off then.

#2459 3 years ago

My pics, if interested:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gc674LbBFUoWBZWUA

Though, after seeing some of the mods shown here in the group, mine may not have been all that special. I'm wishing I had joined this group 2 years ago and added even more flare to ours. The kids are certainly gonna miss this machine. Such a great shooter. Does everyone else have the upgraded audio ROM with movie and ride callouts? I think I appreciate THAT upgrade more than PinsStadium lights and InvisiGlass.

-KR

#2460 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

You should have posted it for sale on pinside at that amazing price. I actually feel like you are doing a disservice to the hobby. If you did sell it for $10500 (2.5 times true value) then you ripped that guy off. I am fine with folks making money but ripping someone off is another story.

I can appreciate your concern for a potential "old man who got ripped off" and I promise you, this guy knows what he's getting into. The buyer owns multiple businesses and doesn't appear (this is just my judgement so far from our conversations) to be hurting for cashflow. He's also familiar with what he's getting into. He found my ad via a local pinball email list, replied with valid questions about whether or not the flippers had been rebuilt, whether the battery was old, etc. I'm actually interested to see what other pins the fellow has. And hey, he's even getting a full-sized cardboard stand-up of Jack Sparrow!!

Let's say there's a rusty old beat-up 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang convertible sitting in a backyard somewhere. To anyone who passes by, that rusty old heap isn't worth more than $500. Maybe even to a regular greasehead, it's worth $5000. But, to that one guy who proposed to his High School sweetheart in the backseat of one 35 years ago, that car might be worth every bit of $35,000, plus the cost to restore it. Value is for the BUYER to decide.

I used to feel like I needed to police every sellers pricing until I was told over and over (by many folks here AND on Teh Facebooks) that it's none of my business, and if there's a buyer for that price, then so be it.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have bought and sold my fair share of both arcade and pins and have always been fair. This was a one-off that our family needed to turn around quick and it wasn't by choice.

#2461 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I actually feel like you are doing a disservice to the hobby. If you did sell it for $10500 (2.5 times true value) then you ripped that guy off.

What’s true value? If someone listed a POTC for $1000 should I not buy it because I’d be ripping them off? To me whatever a buyer and seller of anything agree on is true value for that item at that moment.

#2462 3 years ago

I just found out that there are a few alternate sound packages out there. I don't remember seeing any discussion in this thread about it though. Which one are people going with and is it really as simple as following the upgrade steps in the manual for flashing the new one and going back if I don't like it?

#2463 3 years ago

Mine is huo and like new, with color dmd and tasteful leds. There's no way my machine goes for 10k in my Denver circle, and it looks new. Selling for that price in Denver means I'd have a real sucker, and I ripped him off real good. Come on, we're not talking about plain old price policing here...

Edit: don't tell me the voice in your head didn't say "f'ing A! Score!" when you finished the deal.

#2464 3 years ago

Totally half the Potc I’ve seen HUO look just as good. Mine is just as good but I have less mods frankly I think too many mods are overkill. Anything over $6k is total rip off but I guess if the guy is loaded he doesn’t mind but totally $5k+ over charged.

#2465 3 years ago

There’s a thread “Any potc custom code on here” that has one I know of. Tried it and liked it. I ended up getting Pinball-Browser software and making one myself. Not to difficult if you are handy editing sound files and good with software.
And yes it’s just following the steps updating code on the game so you can load back in the Stern code whenever you want.

#2466 3 years ago
Quoted from SunMonkeyAZ:

There’s a thread “Any potc custom code on here” that has one I know of. Tried it and liked it. I ended up getting Pinball-Browser software and making one myself. Not to difficult if you are handy editing sound files and good with software.
And yes it’s just following the steps updating code on the game so you can load back in the Stern code whenever you want.

Sharing is Caring.

#2467 3 years ago

My game has both English and French language, does that count as a alternate sound packages.

#2468 3 years ago

Here's that thread that includes the discussion about (and links to) the various audio mods:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-potc-custom-codes

#2469 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Totally half the Potc I’ve seen HUO look just as good. Mine is just as good but I have less mods frankly I think too many mods are overkill. Anything over $6k is total rip off but I guess if the guy is loaded he doesn’t mind but totally $5k+ over charged.

my sentiments exactly

#2470 3 years ago

**Deleted Post** Wrong thread sorry!

#2471 3 years ago
Quoted from djsoup:

The star field map on LE just stopped working recently. No blinking lights, just the steady solid red light in the lower left. Anyone have this issue, or know how to fix? Thanks!

wrong thread this is for the Stern PotC

DEFDFA0A-FF1E-4F41-B5EA-BDC206044736 (resized).jpegDEFDFA0A-FF1E-4F41-B5EA-BDC206044736 (resized).jpeg

#2472 3 years ago

^

20200921_140543-1 (resized).jpg20200921_140543-1 (resized).jpg
#2473 3 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

I just found out that there are a few alternate sound packages out there. I don't remember seeing any discussion in this thread about it though. Which one are people going with and is it really as simple as following the upgrade steps in the manual for flashing the new one and going back if I don't like it?

This may be what you looking for.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-potc-custom-codes/page/2#post-5673465

#2474 3 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Video of it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-potc-custom-codes/page/2#post-4239662

#2475 3 years ago

I have a better version to download from when that video was made.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15MC96a1rL6MvhDor9eZuMmBHWc8IkVED/view?usp=sharing

#2476 3 years ago

I added BriteRings to the Pop Bumper Caps. These glue to the bottom of the caps. The bottom LEDs light up that area of the playfield. Since you have to move the ramp to install several of them if you choose to do it make sure you use lots of drops of super glue.

P1020230 (resized).JPGP1020230 (resized).JPGPOTC Final02 (resized).JPGPOTC Final02 (resized).JPG
#2477 3 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

I added BriteRings to the Pop Bumper Caps. These glue to the bottom of the caps. The bottom LEDs light up that area of the playfield. Since you have to move the ramp to install several of them if you choose to do it make sure you use lots of drops of super glue.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like it lights that area up pretty good. So there are LED lights on both sides.

#2479 3 years ago

Hoping to join the club soon. A few questions as far as updating/upgrading....

1) I’d like to switch lamps to LEDs. Any particular place have the best kit? I was looking at Comet Pinball.
2) Is there something about the battery I need to check/fix?
3) Pinstadium lights worth it?
4) Anything I should check on the spinning disc or ship (I know both function as they should)?
5) I know the auto plunge is not working. I hear a click and ball barely moves so I need to dig into the cause but any thoughts off hand?
6) Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

#2480 3 years ago

My machine had the auto plunge problem. The link on the plunger broke. Marco sells them. I believe this is the one

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-5103

The battery is not the type that leaks so if it is storing scores and settings the battery is probably good. Not a bad idea to replace it though as these machines are pretty old now.

#2481 3 years ago

1) I’d like to switch lamps to LEDs. Any particular place have the best kit? I was looking at Comet Pinball.
I actually like this title with incandescents so I can't help you there. The warm glow of old lights suits the theme.
Its a lithium button cell that doesn't leak and only needs to be replaced when it dies.
Only you can decide this - they are not for me, personally.
4) Anything I should check on the spinning disc or ship (I know both function as they should)?
Check the decal on the spinning disk for wear. Not expensive or particularly difficult fix. It is hard to get at, that is all.
There is a ship test in diagnostics - use it to make sure the sails drop and you can sink the ship. Also try it in a game.
5) I know the auto plunge is not working. I hear a click and ball barely moves so I need to dig into the cause but any thoughts off hand?
As mentioned, could be a broken link, missing spring, the pivot screw on the launcher could have come loose or broken, or the launcher arm could have broken.
Try shooting the chest to make sure it works.

#2482 3 years ago

I did on ly the Gi in color, but the rest is still incandescent, for the look and feel, but Comet has great leds, maybe try some first to see if you like the digital nature of the leds. Even the non ghosting, dimming etc ones do not feel like incandescnets.
No, if it looks fine it should be ok.
That is hard to say, they are expensive but a great product, you can also build yourself some 'poor man's stadium lights' there is a topi con this on pinside. On PoTC using pinstadium there will be a lot of reflection of the leds in the ramps. There is now a difused version but have not seen that in person.
Just check the ship and disc in a game. Yes wear on the decal is an attention point, also some ships are really bashed up at the front.
as Schwaggs said.
Check the ramps, most PoTC have a broken ramp, some are fixed other just left broken. New ramps are out there but expensive. Start modding your machine, remove the sneeze guard, check on airballs I have never had one but there seems to be persons here that have airballs and there is a plastic for that. For the rest enjoy the pirates life!

#2483 3 years ago

I'm curious if alignment issues with the inserts and graphics was common back when these were made. The inserts on my playfield appear to be offset a bit from the graphics. The odd thing is that the cutouts for switches and stuff line up perfectly with the graphics. Seems worse on the lower playfield than upper playfield.

23b46f35be45a8bc181b083fb87d31caa3530859 (resized).jpg23b46f35be45a8bc181b083fb87d31caa3530859 (resized).jpg
#2484 3 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. Lots of bulbs are out so I am going to go ahead and try the LEDs to brighten everything up. I'm hoping to get things visible enough that I don't have to invest in more lighting.
- I ordered the broken part for the auto launch. Looks like an easy fix.
- Machine and ramps in great condition but are in need of a deep clean. Will look to do that when changing bulbs.
- Spinning disc working fine and decal looks good
- Ship works but seems like it's working hard at times. Any thoughts? Clean and lube?

#2485 3 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Lots of bulbs are out so I am going to go ahead and try the LEDs to brighten everything up. I'm hoping to get things visible enough that I don't have to invest in more lighting.
- I ordered the broken part for the auto launch. Looks like an easy fix.
- Machine and ramps in great condition but are in need of a deep clean. Will look to do that when changing bulbs.
- Spinning disc working fine and decal looks good
- Ship works but seems like it's working hard at times. Any thoughts? Clean and lube?

Just my opinion but if you go LED donthe GI in White as it’s much easier to see the ball. You can color match the inserts. I also suggest going with standard LEDs and then spend the extra money on the OCD LED board so they have the same lighting effects and incandescent. Otherwise they blink too fast.

Link to LED OCD board and not using the board.

https://vimeo.com/418474083

Here are my before and afters.

BE4344D2-FFCE-4073-801B-9C34D4AE5E21 (resized).jpegBE4344D2-FFCE-4073-801B-9C34D4AE5E21 (resized).jpeg

#2486 3 years ago
Quoted from Mahoneyj:

Just my opinion but if you go LED donthe GI in White as it’s much easier to see the ball.

I used a lot of cool white in my GI but used yellow under the slings and blue in the lower left because they fit the surrounding colors. I started with white under the slings but really like the change to yellow which I saw on a game at Pinball Expo.

#2488 3 years ago

Thought of this idea for more light in the center of the playfield. I like the results and figured I’d share.

076FD5C9-7386-4676-B346-1FAC0179A75B (resized).jpeg076FD5C9-7386-4676-B346-1FAC0179A75B (resized).jpeg2E8C6301-EE8B-4704-B587-E5CDE6347949 (resized).jpeg2E8C6301-EE8B-4704-B587-E5CDE6347949 (resized).jpeg352EE7ED-99AF-4694-9410-BFF2D1C43214 (resized).jpeg352EE7ED-99AF-4694-9410-BFF2D1C43214 (resized).jpeg8E8020C7-C061-4DF9-AC52-D5DC9C3B2058 (resized).jpeg8E8020C7-C061-4DF9-AC52-D5DC9C3B2058 (resized).jpeg
#2489 3 years ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

Thought of this idea for more light in the center of the playfield. I like the results and figured I’d share.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

that's a great idea you could sell them as a kit.

1 week later
#2490 3 years ago

Hi. I’m having this issue where every time I hit Port Royal, it stays in for less than a second and comes out, usually knocking down a little bit of it. Then, once the wall is knocked down, if I hit it again it just adds a few points to the score and comes out. It doesn’t give me the timed ball lock. What can I do to fix this? I looked through the settings and I don’t think that’s it. Anyone else had this problem?

#2491 3 years ago
Quoted from Leosclam:

Hi. I’m having this issue where every time I hit Port Royal, it stays in for less than a second and comes out, usually knocking down a little bit of it. Then, once the wall is knocked down, if I hit it again it just adds a few points to the score and comes out. It doesn’t give me the timed ball lock. What can I do to fix this? I looked through the settings and I don’t think that’s it. Anyone else had this problem?

Is the pin popping up to hold the ball in there longer?

#2492 3 years ago

Hi all, just joined the Club!

Where i can find a code including the pirates of caribbean main theme? In the standard code, audio relly sux.

My potc seem work fine, just need to clean optic sensors and replace the disk sticker because there's no an image.. only bare steel.

What about plexi protection? Can i remove it? Made more than 30 games and the balls never stucked.

#2493 3 years ago

I just send you some code. You can loose the sneezeguard especially in a home environment only.

#2494 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I just send you some code. You can loose the sneezeguard especially in a home environment only.

Just installed the v9 : its epic! thanks

#2495 3 years ago

What is v9?

#2496 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

You can loose the sneezeguard especially in a home environment only.

Play it safe and add Maffewl's PotC Airball Deflector

#2497 3 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

Play it safe and add Maffewl's PotC Airball Deflector

Personally, in 5 years of play I never had one airball. So think this will be game specific.

#2498 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

What is this code you speak of? I’m interested too. All I did was update my newly acquired machine to Stern’s latest

#2499 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I would be interested as well.

#2500 3 years ago

Anyone that would like v9, please send me an email where I can send the file to. I will use wetransfer since it is too big.
V9 is a version with movie quotes in it, also has He's a pirate song at the start of a ball and the end of a game. And once you beat the Kraken there is a song Yo-ho which is now the one from the Disney ride.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 218.00
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/50?hl=otrchief and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.