Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 76.
#1951 5 years ago

replacing rubber is always a PITA; on any game. that's why i use polyurethane everywhere. doesn't get nearly as dirty and will last almost forever. i highly recommend.

https://cointaker.com/t/rubber-rings-by-superbands

#1952 5 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

replacing rubber is always a PITA; on any game. that's why i use polyurethane everywhere. doesn't get nearly as dirty and will last almost forever. i highly recommend.
https://cointaker.com/t/rubber-rings-by-superbands

Once again thanks for the advice, will have game in 4 days and counting down.

#1954 5 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

that's why i use polyurethane everywhere.

Just got my rubbers in yesterday from Titan Pinball, have been very impressed with them, best I've used so far. They have been great in my past pins as well as my current Iron Man as well as my Walking Dead and as stated above, polyurethane is easy to clean. I will be changing out all the standard rubbers now in my space shuttle with clear titan competition rubbers and blue titan competition rubbers on my newly acquired POTC! Of course this will happen right after I give them both a nice cleaning and fresh coat of wax!

#1955 5 years ago

titan is silicone.

#1956 5 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

titan is silicone.

everyone knows this... we use the term 'rubber' not as a literal, but as a functional term.

No one says "hey, that slingshot silicon band is broken"

And no, replacing bands on all games is not a PITA... there are degrees of pain depending on how intertwined things are on a game or how much needs to really come offf.

#1957 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

everyone knows this... we use the term 'rubber' not as a literal, but as a functional term.
No one says "hey, that slingshot silicon band is broken"
And no, replacing bands on all games is not a PITA... there are degrees of pain depending on how intertwined things are on a game or how much needs to really come offf.

rubber / condom, Condom / rubber f¥ck it we know what you mean!

Mikonos great looking cards man!!

#1958 5 years ago

i was talking about polyurethane, so i pointed out that titans are silicone.

#1959 5 years ago

Thanks so much, jorro!

I will try to create a "Crew" card too ahead!

Best regards!

#1960 5 years ago

Well on my newly acquired POTC pinball, I cleaned, waxed, put new blue titan rubbers on, mirrror blades, and changed out the comet LEDs under the play field that the former owner put in because they were ghosting with Cointaker non ghosting ones. Huge difference, no ghosting and much brighter and yes, I agree, this game is a pain in the but to just replace the rubbers. All in all it took about 8 hours of work, but best of all it works after reassembly!! Had to take lots of pictures but I’m glad I did. Game plays much faster now. My games are set to 5 ball since my wife likes it that way but put up 222,221,550 on second game after all the work. Just couldn’t sink Davy Jones. So frustrating. Oh well game is great fun for sure.

By the way, game came with a tournament button in the cointray and a blank on the lock bar. What does the tournament button do. Different rules? Weaker coils?

Thank you

#1961 5 years ago

My new pin with new rubbers and mirror blades. Yay

B3962888-FC9E-4E64-BE95-7CB6E55D02DE (resized).jpegB3962888-FC9E-4E64-BE95-7CB6E55D02DE (resized).jpegC1053B22-5164-499D-8E02-662FC8E7C354 (resized).jpegC1053B22-5164-499D-8E02-662FC8E7C354 (resized).jpeg
#1962 5 years ago

Just installed the ship guard this game should have come with!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maffewls-potc-airball-deflector-for-sneezeguard-removal

Great simple idea, works perfectly, and was packaged quite nicely. Now I can see the pirate ship perfectly, especially the light up cannon fire the mod the former owner installed. Highly recommendable inexpensive mod.

93E23544-D67A-4C5C-B5E1-0ACED846ED0E (resized).jpeg93E23544-D67A-4C5C-B5E1-0ACED846ED0E (resized).jpegB87CE46D-64EC-464B-8227-A20DEF7714AC (resized).jpegB87CE46D-64EC-464B-8227-A20DEF7714AC (resized).jpegB730ED3F-728D-44DD-8E3D-741EB4DEB551 (resized).jpegB730ED3F-728D-44DD-8E3D-741EB4DEB551 (resized).jpeg556F4090-23A5-480A-8C12-08459FFED672 (resized).jpeg556F4090-23A5-480A-8C12-08459FFED672 (resized).jpeg
#1963 5 years ago

Love the new guard. Don’t even notice it.

#1964 5 years ago

HELP! pop bumper eject, coil #18 is weak.

Hardware is all tight. Coil ohm test at 10.5Ω at the coil and 10.7Ω across wiring harness + coil. New Q18 TIP122 transistor installed. Cleaned pin and coil sleeve, move very freely.

Everything else works to factory design. Any suggestions?

#1965 5 years ago

It looks like your ring assembly is engage. I can see your bumpers lights flickering. One of your bumper yoke not right. Check there first.

#1966 5 years ago

Check your bumper stack blade switch. And Make sure bumper skirt is in spoon. Light on bumper come on when hit, yours are staying on.

#1967 5 years ago

Your Q18 looks good. It your Q9, Q10 or Q11 that's not right page 71 or service manual.

#1968 5 years ago

pencilneck Is the metal tip of the outkicker not bend or of centered?

#1969 5 years ago

Just bought a mint cond HUO POTC with very few plays on it. Thrilled with it! But I need some help. Weird thing is happening, the game is spotless, 100% clean. I wiped it down and installed brand new balls. After every game, it looks like it’s snowing on the playfield. The balls pick it up. I wash them off, clean the playfield top to bottom, it happens again. It can’t be wax. Is it plastic shavings from something rubbing??? Tortuga???

28CA4D04-AF7C-4B79-9B56-41D8392AC5A1 (resized).jpeg28CA4D04-AF7C-4B79-9B56-41D8392AC5A1 (resized).jpeg8507D365-1AB7-4A09-BBE5-62BFFAB52406 (resized).jpeg8507D365-1AB7-4A09-BBE5-62BFFAB52406 (resized).jpegD950A75A-A78C-4052-BEC2-235008649830 (resized).jpegD950A75A-A78C-4052-BEC2-235008649830 (resized).jpeg653B6061-2606-4E3B-92DB-FD1630F11728 (resized).jpeg653B6061-2606-4E3B-92DB-FD1630F11728 (resized).jpeg
#1970 5 years ago

Thats potc the winter edition
Does it feel like plastic?
Picture of your compas decal ?

#1971 5 years ago
Quoted from pencilneck:

HELP! pop bumper eject, coil #18 is weak.

Hardware is all tight. Coil ohm test at 10.5Ω at the coil and 10.7Ω across wiring harness + coil. New Q18 TIP122 transistor installed. Cleaned pin and coil sleeve, move very freely.
Everything else works to factory design. Any suggestions?

Go to Diagnose, coil,, test, scroll to #9 press select, scroll to #10 press select and do the same for #11. I'm thinking problem is with #9.

#1972 5 years ago

Do you have soft white rubber's on it?

#1973 5 years ago

No white rubbers, just standard black I believe. And the compass decal on the Tortuga spinner is the standard one. I don’t see anything originating from that area. I’m truly stumped!

0994AE79-07C3-4843-8D03-10D25626BA1E (resized).jpeg0994AE79-07C3-4843-8D03-10D25626BA1E (resized).jpeg0A16F28F-054B-4676-A46E-289E4E16AD08 (resized).png0A16F28F-054B-4676-A46E-289E4E16AD08 (resized).png
#1974 5 years ago

@ pinkitten Is there a popbumper scraping the base?

#1975 5 years ago

The pop bumpers work fine, in coil test mode for #9, #10 and #11 work just fine. I don't see the connection between the pop bumper coils and pop bumper eject coil.

Coils #9, #10 and #11 are on a 50V circuit, J10 /9 and /10 (yellow/violet), then grounded on J9 /1, /2 and /4.
Coil #18 is on a 20V circuit, J7 /1 (brown) and grounded on J7/3

Looking at the wiring diagram on page 97, I don't see how these items tie together.

The plunger for coil 18 is visually fine and moves freely in the sleeve (no binding).

I'm not a fan of IDC connectors used in all pins... I wonder if I could have a voltage drop under load. I may see about making a quick and dirty overlay harness for coil 18 and see if that helps.

#1976 5 years ago

Pencilneck, after looking at your video again I see ball is hitting post and not bumper. My bad. Check what Jorro said. Can kicker be moved to kick to the right a little more to side swipe post, instead of hitting it head on and going straight back in kick out and repeating.

#1977 5 years ago

Pencilneck, please let us know what was the cause of your problem when you resolve it.

#1978 5 years ago

Pinkitten, please let us know when you find out why Winter is Coming to your POTC.

#1979 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

It can’t be wax. Is it plastic shavings from something rubbing??? Tortuga???

I had similar problems with mine. After a lot of head scratching, it turned out to be the Tortuga decal. A sure-fire way to find out is to fold up the playfield and look near the rear left-hand top corner of the inside of the cabinet. If it looks all snowy on the side panel, you have found the culprit.

For me, the solution was to disassemble, clean, and reassemble the playfield (took most of a weekend), replace all the original rubber bands with Titans, replace the Tortuga decal with a new one, and add a protector on top of the decal.

http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/pirates-of-the-caribbean/7468/spinning-disc-protector-12-5-cm-transparent

Since then, the machine has been running much cleaner. No more problems with "snow covered" pinballs. (The "snow" was fragments of paper from the disintegrating decal.)

#1980 5 years ago
Quoted from michi:

I had similar problems with mine. After a lot of head scratching, it turned out to be the Tortuga decal. A sure-fire way to find out is to fold up the playfield and look near the rear left-hand top corner of the inside of the cabinet. If it looks all snowy on the side panel, you have found the culprit.
For me, the solution was to disassemble, clean, and reassemble the playfield (took most of a weekend), replace all the original rubber bands with Titans, remove the Tortuga decal with a new one, and add a protector on top of the decal.
http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/pirates-of-the-caribbean/7468/spinning-disc-protector-12-5-cm-transparent
Since then, the machine has been running much cleaner. No more problems with "snow covered" pinballs. (The "snow" was fragments of paper from the disintegrating decal.)

Thanks for the information and the web link. I've only had my game for a week but may need this before I know it.

#1981 5 years ago

Ahhhh. I was pretty sure it was Tortuga. The paper decal is slowly breaking down? If that happened to you then I’m convinced. I just can’t believe a pop bumper would shed that much plastic by rubbing on something. But I can’t say that’s not it, not yet. I will get under the Tortuga plastic and replace the decal at least. That my end it. I will check the pops too. One may be misaligned and rubbing. At least gameplay is fine, just annoying to shovel snow every other game.

#1982 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Pencilneck, please let us know what was the cause of your problem when you resolve it.

Got it vastly improved, the 3 things that all together got it working "good enuff":

1 - I had quickly wiped down the pin and coil sleeve before... went back and cleaned with Isopropyl Alcohol.
2 - Bracket that holds coil, secured with 2 phillip screws, loosened the screws and squeezed the ever living crap out of it with my bare hand to have it hold the coil tighter, then torqued screws back down. Coil is held a bit tighter now.
3 - Loosened the 2 screws that go into the playfield, twisted bracket a hair to help center up the pin in the opening, torqued wood screws back down.

I still feel like it doesn't eject with the same velocity it use to, but it is now clearing out every time and in most cases will just catch lower pop bumper. As I recall when we first pulled this out of the box, it would eject right into the upper left pop bumper.

#1983 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Ahhhh. I was pretty sure it was Tortuga. The paper decal is slowly breaking down? If that happened to you then I’m convinced. I just can’t believe a pop bumper would shed that much plastic by rubbing on something. But I can’t say that’s not it, not yet. I will get under the Tortuga plastic and replace the decal at least. That my end it. I will check the pops too. One may be misaligned and rubbing. At least gameplay is fine, just annoying to shovel snow every other game.

Maybe take the glass off and clean the playfield. Then throw the ball up into Tortuga a few times to see if it is causing the flurries.

#1984 5 years ago

Ok, so I have cleaned the playfield and balls several times and I checked the Tortuga compass sticker and that’s not it. It has a clear sticker over the decal to protect it. The “snow” on the playfield is definitely white. I’m leaning toward the pop bumper rubbing against something. Not sure tho. So weird. I clean it, play once and it snows. I’m baffled. There isn’t a high enough concentration of flakes in one area to give it away. I’ll keep working on it. Game plays great tho! I almost finished the compass recently.

#1985 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Ok, so I have cleaned the playfield and balls several times and I checked the Tortuga compass sticker and that’s not it. It has a clear sticker over the decal to protect it. The “snow” on the playfield is definitely white. I’m leaning toward the pop bumper rubbing against something. Not sure tho. So weird. I clean it, play once and it snows. I’m baffled. There isn’t a high enough concentration of flakes in one area to give it away. I’ll keep working on it. Game plays great tho! I almost finished the compass recently.

Strange indeed. World under glass with snow. Winter is Coming!

#1986 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I'd take the glass off and clean it. Then, throw the ball in various areas (isolated each time) to figure out where it could be coming from.

#1987 5 years ago

Can you go in settings and disable the spinner. Play and eliminate that as the snow blower.

#1988 5 years ago

Can you take some of the white stuf put it on a saucer and burn it?
Is it paper , plasic ? Feel it smell it
CSI it!
How does the tip of your upkicker in the back look?

#1989 5 years ago

VUKs look good, clean.

It really doesn’t appear to be the spinner. I am zeroing in on the pops as a possible culprit. I will also look more closely at the shavings. I will “CSI” it. I do own a CSI pinball machine. I can run the snow covered balls through that pin and see what the results are.

I will examine and test the “snow” and post again soon...winter is coming.

#1990 5 years ago

Is it the ship? Maybe rubbing somewhere?

#1991 5 years ago

There are also two posts that pop up. Both white plastic in my machine. One with the ship, one with the chest. Check those on damage.

#1992 5 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Is it the ship? Maybe rubbing somewhere?

Yes check this, there is a white plastic guide rail behind the ship for the movement maybe there
Good call Peter!

Have you CSI'd the flaking yet?

#1993 5 years ago

Hoping to CSI this mystery “snow” sometime today. Thanks to all for brainstorming. It HAS to be a moving part that is rubbing. I will check the ship, VUKs, pops and spinner again later today. I will try to confirm what the fragments are too. I’m leaning toward plastic shavings. I’ll update ASAP. Thanks, friends.

#1994 5 years ago

I bought my HUO game in 2010 and it was finally time to get shopped out. I added a playfield protector, playfield plastic set and 2SMD cool white GI LEDs. I had already previously had installed a LCD ColorDMD, the ship acrylic speaker inserts, the cannon mod and speaker panel mod from Back Alley Creations. I used warm white LEDs in the 3 spotlights that aim at the trunk and the ship. That should hold me for now. 20181124_011039 (resized).jpg20181124_011039 (resized).jpg20181124_011058 (resized).jpg20181124_011058 (resized).jpg

#1995 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I bought my HUO game in 2010 and it was finally time to get shopped out. I added a playfield protector, playfield plastic set and 2SMD cool white GI LEDs. I had already previously had installed a LCD ColorDMD, the ship acrylic speaker inserts, the cannon mod and speaker panel mod from Back Alley Creations. I used warm white LEDs in the 3 spotlights that aim at the trunk and the ship. That should hold me for now. [quoted image][quoted image]

Your game is looking sweet. Wished I had a ColorDMD.

#1996 5 years ago

Is pinball.center the only provider of the spinning disc protector?

#1997 5 years ago
Quoted from Tres:

Maybe one here,
https://www.pinballlife.com/pirates-of-the-caribbean.html

#1998 5 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

My new pin with new rubbers and mirror blades. Yay
[quoted image][quoted image]

Such a gorgeous playfield. When this pin first came out in 2006, I remember thinking it was one of the most amazing looking art packages I had ever seen. The compass on the center of the playfield is really fantastic looking. I still feel today that POTC is a very underrated playfield in terms of design and art. The use of color, and the map concept surrounded by ocean-blue is fantastic. If I didn't enjoy playing pinball so much, I would probably still collect playfields and hang them on my wall.

1 week later
#1999 5 years ago

Cannon LED mods are available again for the first time in quite a while. Trying to use the rest of the parts to build up to 20 kits and that may be it. So if you want one - now is the time to grab it. I have 5 ready to ship and hope to get another 5 done today.

http://weirpinball.com/mods/potcmod.html

Scott

#2000 5 years ago
Quoted from Tres:

I cut my own. I have been using the 3M clear vinyl that you can get for the front of cars. They sell it in 6 inch by 60 inch on Amazon. I cut out a pattern from thin paper until I get the size I need and then cut the vinyl and place it on top of the disc decal. I like it better than mylar as it is more flexible and seemingly easier to remove if need be plus it has a little bit of grip to help the ball spin. As a note, I also use this vinyl and make custom shooter lane protectors which I have on my POTC as well. Lastly, the vinyl is used for the top side of custom decals that I make, even for this kraken LED flasher cover below that sits in the flasher spot behind my ship.

kraken (resized).jpgkraken (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/40?hl=michi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.