• I wish I were a Pirate 53 votes
    23%
  • I have no interest in Pirates 13 votes
    6%
  • I was a Pirate in the past but not at present. 30 votes
    13%

(232 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 429 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P_20180628_123237 (resized).jpg
P_20180628_123250 (resized).jpg
20180531_115641 (resized).jpg
20180531_115818 (resized).jpg
vlcsnap-2018-05-27-07h38m56s166 (resized).jpg
P_20180518_210732 (resized).jpg
P_20180518_210742 (resized).jpg
P_20180518_210738 (resized).jpg
000E48D7-53EC-41BB-83AA-5BACBCEE4AA1 (resized).png
B0F60742-7261-4B93-8394-489AD8CEC8AA (resized).jpeg
IMAG1097[1] (resized).jpg
IMAG1096[1] (resized).jpg
IMAG1095[1] (resized).jpg
IMG_0904 (resized).JPG
IMG_0903 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).jpg

There are 1859 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 38.
#1751 3 months ago

I have a brand new set of Game Blades from Tilt Graphics for POTC if anybody is interested.

Archived after 22 days
Sold (amount undisclosed)
Mod - For Sale
New “I am selling a brand new (sealed) set of Game blades from Tilt Graphics. https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/pirates-of-the-caribbean-gameblades With shipping, these wo...”
2018-04-10
Vienna, VA
60 (Firm)

1 week later
#1752 3 months ago

Arrrrr ye pirates.

It appears there were 2 runs of Pirates. The 2nd happening in 2008. I'm wondering if there was any differences between the first and 2nd run?

I've looked on Pinside and RGP, but I cannot find any mention. I'm surprised I didn't pull up ANYTHING about the second run. But the silence makes me think there were no differences.

(So you don't think I'm crazy. I know there have been subtle differences between runs of other pins in the past)

... Altan

#1753 3 months ago
Quoted from altan:

Arrrrr ye pirates.
It appears there were 2 runs of Pirates. The 2nd happening in 2008. I'm wondering if there was any differences between the first and 2nd run?
I've looked on Pinside and RGP, but I cannot find any mention. I'm surprised I didn't pull up ANYTHING about the second run. But the silence makes me think there were no differences.
(So you don't think I'm crazy. I know there have been subtle differences between runs of other pins in the past)
... Altan

Mine is from 07 , so was there realy a between?
have to look up the month .....

#1754 3 months ago

I actually just sold my POTC to my buddy Altan above. Good pinball citizen! 13 years on PS?! Tell me stories of what pinside was like 13 years ago, Paw!

I think it is better to be in the SPOTC club than the JJPPOTC preorder club now. Especially if you are going to have $4000-$8000 in your pocket at the end of the day. That is crazy, but true!

Your trunk opens and closes also.

#1755 3 months ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I actually just sold my POTC to my buddy Altan above. Good pinball citizen!

Thanks for the sweet POTC and shoutout. No one should ever have any concerns about dealing with pinnyheadhead

13 years on PS?! Tell me stories of what pinside was like 13 years ago, Paw!

Ah yes. We aren't really suppose to talk about it, but I'll generalize and say it wasn't all that different than Studio 54 back in the day...

I think it is better to be in the SPOTC club than the JJPPOTC preorder club now. Especially if you are going to have $4000-$8000 in your pocket at the end of the day. That is crazy, but true!
Your trunk opens and closes also.

Following up my second run question, this POTC is dated December 2008 and the playfield says "Delivered June 26, 2008".

#1756 3 months ago

Archived after 22 days
Sold (amount undisclosed)
Mod - For Sale
New “I am selling a brand new (sealed) set of Game blades from Tilt Graphics. https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/pirates-of-the-caribbean-gameblades With shipping, these wo...”
2018-04-10
Vienna, VA
60 (Firm)

Still available, price lowered to $65 shipped

#1757 3 months ago

I know there are two types of playfield. One is more dark blue at the edges while the other one is a lighter color. Also the map is different. Just all together a different print. I do not know which one is the first run and which is second.

#1758 3 months ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Also the map is different. Just all together a different print.

Do you have any links to one or both of the playfields?

If one of them matches the playfield of the Pinball News review, it would be safe to assume that this is the first run. (The machine was reviewed before it was released.)

https://www.pinballnews.com/games/potc/index6.html

#1759 3 months ago

I will check later, make some pictures of the differences. The old one I sold, with the lighter blue, but looks like the one on pinball news is the lighter version.

#1760 3 months ago

Here is mine...1EC929CD-D9F9-4A2F-AF02-8ECF0111323C (resized).jpeg

#1761 3 months ago

Here is mine. Compas has a different color. Catch the wind is different.

20180417_173519 (resized).jpg

20180417_173511 (resized).jpg

#1762 3 months ago

15239795067021524056002 (resized).jpg

#1763 3 months ago

You see the dark blue

#1764 3 months ago

peterg would be interesting to know your playfield date. Mine was stamped on the front edge.

#1765 3 months ago

Different topic: potc seems very sensitive to horizontal leveling.

When the kickout behind the chest happens and the ball comes out to the right of the chest, where should it go?

Should it barely miss the right sling and head to flipper?

Should it hit the top of the right sling and bounce upward toward left sling?

Something else?

Anyone play at steeper than 6.5?

#1766 3 months ago
Quoted from altan:

When the kickout behind the chest happens and the ball comes out to the right of the chest, where should it go?
Should it barely miss the right sling and head to flipper?
Should it hit the top of the right sling and bounce upward toward left sling?

I like it to hit the top of the sling, otherwise it's too easy to catch and hit the chest repeatedly. A good player can nudge the ball so it misses the sling.

#1767 3 months ago
Quoted from altan:

I'm wondering if there was any differences between the first and 2nd run?

Early runs have a factory "board hack" close to the CPU. A tiny blue wire that "jumps" some connectors/prongs on one of the chips.

I think I posted a picture earlier? (I saw this when I was shopping for a POTC, and wondering if this was normal. The one I bought does not have that factory hack).

(EDIT: Attached pic)

POTC Factory Wire Hack (resized).jpg

#1768 3 months ago

Aw, that’s not a hack. Blue wires are super common in first gen hardware. You’d be surprised how many devices have them. You just don’t normally see the PCB or, even when you do, probably got a later revision.

But back onto potc, thanks for pointing out a non playfield difference. All interesting for this discussion. I’ll need to look at my SAM board. This is, after all, the first SAM system I’ve owned.

#1769 3 months ago
Quoted from altan:

Aw, that’s not a hack.

Yes it is a hack, patched after the fact. The original design was flawed, and corrected in the next release of the board. That's a factory hack.

#1770 3 months ago

anyone know where i can get the monkey ramp, mine is very difficult to make, rejects it alot. Just the curved part of it.

#1771 3 months ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Here is mine. Compas has a different color. Catch the wind is different.

These two playfields are quite different. Some that jump out...

1) Yours has visible half-tones, mine doesn't
2) The background of yours is less saturated, mine seems more saturated
3) The blues are darker on yours, less dark on mine
4) Your "Catch the Wind" has some blue while mine doesn't
5) Your "Ball Saved" is mostly dark green while mine is lighter and with an even lighter inner area

I made a pic that matched yours for comparison.

First yours:

org (1) (resized).jpg

Now mine:

IMG_0373 (resized).jpg

#1772 3 months ago
Quoted from altan:

These two playfields are quite different. Some that jump out...
1) Yours has visible half-tones, mine doesn't
2) The background of yours is less saturated, mine seems more saturated
3) The blues are darker on yours, less dark on mine
4) Your "Catch the Wind" has some blue while mine doesn't
5) Your "Ball Saved" is mostly dark green while mine is lighter and with an even lighter inner area
I made a pic that matched yours for comparison.
First yours:

Now mine:

Just took a look at my POTC. My PF looks like yours.

#1773 3 months ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Just took a look at my POTC. My PF looks like yours.

If you get a minute, see if your playfield has a date on it. Might be interesting to nail down when the change happened.

#1774 3 months ago
Quoted from altan:

If you get a minute, see if your playfield has a date on it. Might be interesting to nail down when the change happened.

I can't really get to the machine PF right now. I have a ton of stuff packed all around the machine.

#1775 3 months ago

Mine has the blue shading on the "Catch The Wind" sign. Sticker on the backbox says January 2008.

#1776 89 days ago

Wow. Last night I got my potc perfectly horizontally level and just on the steep side.

My outlanes were set to narrow. There are 3 settings on the right and 2 on the left. I opened them up one notch.

Now it’s killing me. Ball times aren’t long at all. Not a bad starting point of a potc beginner.

How do others have their outlines set?

#1778 88 days ago

bump

#1779 88 days ago
Quoted from altan:

How do others have their outlanes set?

Wide open for Match and tournament play, otherwise it’s a long player. But after everyone is gone, I close down the outlanes, because I like getting deep into the game.

#1780 87 days ago

FS and JY are gone. POTC remains. To me, it's a great game for what it offers, especially at its price.

#1781 87 days ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

FS and JY are gone. POTC remains. To me, it's a great game for what it offers, especially at its price.

I’ve owned Potc for at least 10 years and still love to play it’s, certainly deep enough and fun getting the compass lights, invariably I’ll get stuck on one or two.

I’m still impressed with the quality of the toys (ship and chest) and the Jack is a different type of ramp.

#1782 87 days ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

FS and JY are gone. POTC remains. To me, it's a great game for what it offers, especially at it's price.

Golly I hate to say that I just sold my Pirates, but I did. Thad being said it outlasted some greats like LOTR, ACDC and IM. You are correct that the value is right with POTC. A lot of game for the money and Stern really came out with a great quality pin back then.

#1783 86 days ago

What a great looking pin. But you guys know that already. 7EE7978C-D1B5-4262-9488-6B5ED0B14656 (resized).jpeg

#1784 85 days ago

got a POTC in a trade yesterday. excited to start digging into it. first thing i noticed is the shooter is rubbing the auto kicker. shouldn't be that big of a deal, but i'm sure i'll have plenty of other questions along the way. hola.

#1785 85 days ago
Quoted from weaverj:

got a POTC in a trade yesterday. excited to start digging into it. first thing i noticed is the shooter is rubbing the auto kicker. shouldn't be that big of a deal, but i'm sure i'll have plenty of other questions along the way. hola.

take a look at the plastic bushing on the axel of the kicker assemblee, adding a small spacer ring or new bushing can solve sometimes

#1786 85 days ago

yohoho and a bottle of.... black pearl

P_20180422_152928 (resized).jpg

#1787 85 days ago

thanks, bud. haven't even lifted the playfield yet, but i'll check that out.

what were the colors and locations of any colored oem bulbs? i figure the backboard had colored ones. what color were they?

#1788 85 days ago
Quoted from weaverj:

thanks, bud. haven't even lifted the playfield yet, but i'll check that out.
what were the colors and locations of any colored oem bulbs? i figure the backboard had colored ones. what color were they?

The upper row are normal bulbs, the left row above the compass are red, the right 3 above key are green.
I personaly have bright white leds but with red and green bulb condoms on them for a little more oomph
The top row I have incandecent

#1789 85 days ago
Quoted from jorro:

I personaly have bright white leds but with red and green bulb condoms on them for a little more oomph

I tried with LEDs for the TORTUGA and KEY lights and found that it looked artificial. They are also annoyingly bright, even with frosted single SMDs.

I put the original coloured incandescent bulbs back in. Note that these are not the normal incandescent bulbs with a coloured condom, but bulbs that have been dipped in transparent paint. They look much better than LED bulbs, IMO.

s-l1600 (resized).jpg

#1790 85 days ago
Quoted from jorro:

yohoho and a bottle of.... black pearl

Love the ship, where did you get that?

#1791 84 days ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Love the ship, where did you get that?

i found it on marktplaats (Dutch ebay) its from a hot toys jack sparrow i believe

s-l200 (resized).jpg

#1792 84 days ago

Anyone adjusted the music mix setting? It defaults to 1 and goes to 15. I’ve unscientifically settled on 13.

... Altan

#1793 84 days ago

you can adjust the factory music mix?

#1794 84 days ago

I use my own sounds and sometimes sounds from other people made with paintball browser
If you find certain sounds to soft or loud by your liking you can adjust or even replace them.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-potc-custom-codes

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

You can also just use standard code and use pinballbrowser to adjust volume but for long soundings you need an official full copy of browser by making a donation

If you need help you can ask oga the creator he s da bomb

#1795 83 days ago
Quoted from weaverj:

you can adjust the factory music mix?

Yes. By adjust I mean the volume of the music against the call outs. It’s under adjustments. I’ll get the specific setting tonight.

#1796 83 days ago

I did a custom ROM with audio from the ride. I only changed the intro (“Dead Men Tell No Tales!”) and the outro (“A Pirate’s Life for Me”). Hit me up on PM if you’re interested.

#1797 83 days ago

Well now JJPOTC isn’t grabbing me as much as it was prior to the removal of the 3 ring spinner and mechanical chest, I am looking for a POTC once again to add back into the lineup.

Can current owners remind me how much does the game draw/pull from the movies? It’s been years since I owned my original POTC but I loved it which is why I want it back, but I may find a beat up one and do a custom restore.

#1798 83 days ago
Quoted from J85M:

Well now JJPOTC isn’t grabbing me as much as it was prior to the removal of the 3 ring spinner and mechanical chest, I am looking for a POTC once again to add back into the lineup.
Can current owners remind me how much does the game draw/pull from the movies? It’s been years since I owned my original POTC but I loved it which is why I want it back, but I may find a beat up one and do a custom restore.

Don’t think any quotes from the movies.

It’s more like TWD meaning has themes and locations from the first 3 movies (I think), no movie clips either.

Notably Kraken, Jack the monkey, Tortaga and Port Royal and Heart in the chest and the various ships.

It’s not like LotR where there are direct quotes and names of the movies it’s more like TSPP where it’s just the places and situations in general of PotC but not really a direct copy from the movies.

#1799 83 days ago

but with pinbalbrowser you can replace standard callouts for movie callouts
btw the jack sparrow voice actor sounds just likejohnny depp!

keep us informed if you do a custom!!!!

#1800 83 days ago

Agree. The jack voice actor is excellent.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 1859 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 38.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside