By rai

3 years ago

Stats

• 1,782 posts
  • 170 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by pinnyheadhead
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 407 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

org (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_0373 (resized).jpg
POTC Factory Wire Hack (resized).jpg
15239795067021524056002 (resized).jpg
20180417_173511 (resized).jpg
20180417_173519 (resized).jpg
1EC929CD-D9F9-4A2F-AF02-8ECF0111323C (resized).jpeg
IMAG0929.jpg
E8E12197-271A-47B1-AEC0-F0D47DDC7816 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-03-26 at 21.06.59 (resized).jpeg
KIMG0314 (resized).JPG
KIMG0324 (resized).JPG
20180329_172424 (resized).jpg
93FF589E-E510-4F96-BC3E-763DA0013ACF (resized).jpeg
2B745A36-D20B-40EE-8B3A-0C0223608AF1 (resized).jpeg
FB36FC2D-9E79-4014-B254-85F98F8E57FD (resized).jpeg

There are 1782 posts in topic. You are on page 36 of 36.
#1751 11 days ago

I have a brand new set of Game Blades from Tilt Graphics for POTC if anybody is interested.

Mod - For Sale
New “I am selling a brand new (sealed) set of Game blades from Tilt Graphics. https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/pirates-of-the-caribbean-gameblades With shipping, these wo...”
11 days ago
Vienna, VA
65 (Firm)

1 week later
#1752 4 days ago

Arrrrr ye pirates.

It appears there were 2 runs of Pirates. The 2nd happening in 2008. I'm wondering if there was any differences between the first and 2nd run?

I've looked on Pinside and RGP, but I cannot find any mention. I'm surprised I didn't pull up ANYTHING about the second run. But the silence makes me think there were no differences.

(So you don't think I'm crazy. I know there have been subtle differences between runs of other pins in the past)

... Altan

#1753 4 days ago
Quoted from altan:

Arrrrr ye pirates.
It appears there were 2 runs of Pirates. The 2nd happening in 2008. I'm wondering if there was any differences between the first and 2nd run?
I've looked on Pinside and RGP, but I cannot find any mention. I'm surprised I didn't pull up ANYTHING about the second run. But the silence makes me think there were no differences.
(So you don't think I'm crazy. I know there have been subtle differences between runs of other pins in the past)
... Altan

Mine is from 07 , so was there realy a between?
have to look up the month .....

#1754 4 days ago

I actually just sold my POTC to my buddy Altan above. Good pinball citizen! 13 years on PS?! Tell me stories of what pinside was like 13 years ago, Paw!

I think it is better to be in the SPOTC club than the JJPPOTC preorder club now. Especially if you are going to have $4000-$8000 in your pocket at the end of the day. That is crazy, but true!

Your trunk opens and closes also.

#1755 4 days ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I actually just sold my POTC to my buddy Altan above. Good pinball citizen!

Thanks for the sweet POTC and shoutout. No one should ever have any concerns about dealing with @pinnyheadhead

13 years on PS?! Tell me stories of what pinside was like 13 years ago, Paw!

Ah yes. We aren't really suppose to talk about it, but I'll generalize and say it wasn't all that different than Studio 54 back in the day...

I think it is better to be in the SPOTC club than the JJPPOTC preorder club now. Especially if you are going to have $4000-$8000 in your pocket at the end of the day. That is crazy, but true!
Your trunk opens and closes also.

Following up my second run question, this POTC is dated December 2008 and the playfield says "Delivered June 26, 2008".

#1756 4 days ago

Mod - For Sale
New “I am selling a brand new (sealed) set of Game blades from Tilt Graphics. https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/pirates-of-the-caribbean-gameblades With shipping, these wo...”
11 days ago
Vienna, VA
65 (Firm)

Still available, price lowered to $65 shipped

#1757 4 days ago

I know there are two types of playfield. One is more dark blue at the edges while the other one is a lighter color. Also the map is different. Just all together a different print. I do not know which one is the first run and which is second.

#1758 4 days ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Also the map is different. Just all together a different print.

Do you have any links to one or both of the playfields?

If one of them matches the playfield of the Pinball News review, it would be safe to assume that this is the first run. (The machine was reviewed before it was released.)

https://www.pinballnews.com/games/potc/index6.html

#1759 4 days ago

I will check later, make some pictures of the differences. The old one I sold, with the lighter blue, but looks like the one on pinball news is the lighter version.

#1760 4 days ago

Here is mine...1EC929CD-D9F9-4A2F-AF02-8ECF0111323C (resized).jpeg

#1761 4 days ago

Here is mine. Compas has a different color. Catch the wind is different.

20180417_173519 (resized).jpg

20180417_173511 (resized).jpg

#1762 4 days ago

15239795067021524056002 (resized).jpg

#1763 4 days ago

You see the dark blue

#1764 4 days ago

@peterg would be interesting to know your playfield date. Mine was stamped on the front edge.

#1765 4 days ago

Different topic: potc seems very sensitive to horizontal leveling.

When the kickout behind the chest happens and the ball comes out to the right of the chest, where should it go?

Should it barely miss the right sling and head to flipper?

Should it hit the top of the right sling and bounce upward toward left sling?

Something else?

Anyone play at steeper than 6.5?

#1766 3 days ago
Quoted from altan:

When the kickout behind the chest happens and the ball comes out to the right of the chest, where should it go?
Should it barely miss the right sling and head to flipper?
Should it hit the top of the right sling and bounce upward toward left sling?

I like it to hit the top of the sling, otherwise it's too easy to catch and hit the chest repeatedly. A good player can nudge the ball so it misses the sling.

#1767 3 days ago
Quoted from altan:

I'm wondering if there was any differences between the first and 2nd run?

Early runs have a factory "board hack" close to the CPU. A tiny blue wire that "jumps" some connectors/prongs on one of the chips.

I think I posted a picture earlier? (I saw this when I was shopping for a POTC, and wondering if this was normal. The one I bought does not have that factory hack).

(EDIT: Attached pic)

POTC Factory Wire Hack (resized).jpg

#1768 3 days ago

Aw, that’s not a hack. Blue wires are super common in first gen hardware. You’d be surprised how many devices have them. You just don’t normally see the PCB or, even when you do, probably got a later revision.

But back onto potc, thanks for pointing out a non playfield difference. All interesting for this discussion. I’ll need to look at my SAM board. This is, after all, the first SAM system I’ve owned.

#1769 3 days ago
Quoted from altan:

Aw, that’s not a hack.

Yes it is a hack, patched after the fact. The original design was flawed, and corrected in the next release of the board. That's a factory hack.

#1770 3 days ago

anyone know where i can get the monkey ramp, mine is very difficult to make, rejects it alot. Just the curved part of it.

#1771 3 days ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Here is mine. Compas has a different color. Catch the wind is different.

These two playfields are quite different. Some that jump out...

1) Yours has visible half-tones, mine doesn't
2) The background of yours is less saturated, mine seems more saturated
3) The blues are darker on yours, less dark on mine
4) Your "Catch the Wind" has some blue while mine doesn't
5) Your "Ball Saved" is mostly dark green while mine is lighter and with an even lighter inner area

I made a pic that matched yours for comparison.

First yours:

org (1) (resized).jpg

Now mine:

IMG_0373 (resized).jpg

#1772 3 days ago
Quoted from altan:

These two playfields are quite different. Some that jump out...
1) Yours has visible half-tones, mine doesn't
2) The background of yours is less saturated, mine seems more saturated
3) The blues are darker on yours, less dark on mine
4) Your "Catch the Wind" has some blue while mine doesn't
5) Your "Ball Saved" is mostly dark green while mine is lighter and with an even lighter inner area
I made a pic that matched yours for comparison.
First yours:

Now mine:

Just took a look at my POTC. My PF looks like yours.

#1773 3 days ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Just took a look at my POTC. My PF looks like yours.

If you get a minute, see if your playfield has a date on it. Might be interesting to nail down when the change happened.

#1774 3 days ago
Quoted from altan:

If you get a minute, see if your playfield has a date on it. Might be interesting to nail down when the change happened.

I can't really get to the machine PF right now. I have a ton of stuff packed all around the machine.

#1775 3 days ago

Mine has the blue shading on the "Catch The Wind" sign. Sticker on the backbox says January 2008.

#1776 2 days ago

Wow. Last night I got my potc perfectly horizontally level and just on the steep side.

My outlanes were set to narrow. There are 3 settings on the right and 2 on the left. I opened them up one notch.

Now it’s killing me. Ball times aren’t long at all. Not a bad starting point of a potc beginner.

How do others have their outlines set?

#1778 1 day ago

bump

#1779 1 day ago
Quoted from altan:

How do others have their outlanes set?

Wide open for Match and tournament play, otherwise it’s a long player. But after everyone is gone, I close down the outlanes, because I like getting deep into the game.

#1780 14 hours ago

FS and JY are gone. POTC remains. To me, it's a great game for what it offers, especially at its price.

#1781 14 hours ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

FS and JY are gone. POTC remains. To me, it's a great game for what it offers, especially at its price.

I’ve owned Potc for at least 10 years and still love to play it’s, certainly deep enough and fun getting the compass lights, invariably I’ll get stuck on one or two.

I’m still impressed with the quality of the toys (ship and chest) and the Jack is a different type of ramp.

#1782 14 hours ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

FS and JY are gone. POTC remains. To me, it's a great game for what it offers, especially at it's price.

Golly I hate to say that I just sold my Pirates, but I did. Thad being said it outlasted some greats like LOTR, ACDC and IM. You are correct that the value is right with POTC. A lot of game for the money and Stern really came out with a great quality pin back then.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 53.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
There are 1782 posts in topic. You are on page 36 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside