IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0566 (resized).jpeg

There are 3,768 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 76.
#1401 6 years ago
Quoted from michi:

If this happens when not in "Collect Crew" mode, it's most likely a chattering opto on the chest (which makes a similar sound for getting each key letter). The contacts for the optos where they plug into the board are eternally unreliable. Usually, pulling the opto plugs off the board and re-seating them fixes the problem, at least for a while, so I'd try doing that first. Also re-seat the main connector (8 pins, from memory) for the opto board; it can cause this issue as well.
I'm still looking for a good solution to permanently fix the problem with the poor circuit board connectors for the opto boards. (It happens even with brand-new board and optos, as I found out the hard way.) If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be keen to hear them!

The re-seating is working thus far and hopefully for good. Thanks for the tip.

#1402 6 years ago

Got my game nicely tuned to my liking now. Almost finished Davy Jones.
What can be done to stop the crud collecting on the balls from the mixmaster ? I shopped the game and it is already looking dirty.

#1403 6 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Ok, so with this newfound understanding of how this thing works I was able to manually free up the ship (I *think* it was stuck because the sails were still up), and by then plugging all the connectors back in and using the test menu I can now get the ship to sink all the way into the playfield. Which means I can remove the whole thing if needed. Before I do that (and lose the ability to run the motor and such) I'm still trying to determine what is still binding. It seems to go down smoothly, and it even folds the sails up by itself like it is supposed to. But now when the ship comes back up the back of the ship pops up and the sails pop back up but it doesn't want to finish it's slide over to the left.
Probably nobody can offer a suggestion on this without seeing it, but I figured I would post before I pull the thing out tonight to get some ideas on what to look for. My guesses are either the slide mech is fouled in some way, this part called the clutch is messed up, or the gearbox has some stripped gears (which will suck to the tune of $200, but at least they are still available). Any guesses? And what can I check once I have the thing out without the power?
Thanks for all the help up until now btw!</blockquhad to replace the little white slide on mine. it gets grooves in it over time wouldn't go up and down all the way. id replace it while it was apart anyway.

#1404 6 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

What can be done to stop the crud collecting on the balls from the mixmaster ? I shopped the game and it is already looking dirty.

I had problems with dirt build-up on the balls and playfield, too. Much of it came from the Tortuga decal, which was worn off the metal disk for nearly an inch around the edges. Every time I opened up the machine, I'd wipe off a huge amount of white dust adhering to the cabinet side wall near the mixmaster.

I bought a new compass decal and applied a disc protector from pinball.center over the top:

http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/pirates-of-the-caribbean/7468/spinning-disc-protector-12-5-cm-transparent

This has greatly reduced the amount of ground-up plastic that gets shed onto the playfield. (It doesn't entirely eliminate the issue, but it's way better now.)

The other problem I had was dark dust being generated from tiny rubber fragments coming off the slingshots, flippers, and the rubbers in the mixmaster. I shopped the machine and replaced all rubbers with Titan ones. (For the flippers, the thin titan bands give a feel that is almost indistinguishable from black rubber.) With that change, there is much less dirt on the playfield now (although the Titans also shed small dark particles, but not as much).

#1405 6 years ago

Just updated my Color DMD, and I'm getting some really bad artifacts, anyone else who has an LED noticing this.

artifacting (resized).pngartifacting (resized).png

#1406 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Just updated my Color DMD, and I'm getting some really bad artifacts, anyone else who has an LED noticing this.

I'm running the 3.3 firmware and haven't noticed anything like this.

One issue with 3.3 that wasn't present with 3.0 is that, occasionally, I briefly see a screen from the service menu flicker up, for example, during the extra ball animation. It's only for a moment, and not a big deal. Looks like the software occasionally gets confused about what is currently being displayed.

#1407 6 years ago

Interestingly after about 3 games it all cleared up? Oh well all is good now

#1408 6 years ago

Have you guys noticed all the the price wars on potc? I'm seeing them get priced as low as 4750. Most likely they think the new jjp is potc and it will negatively affect the stern potc value.

#1409 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Have you guys noticed all the the price wars on potc? I'm seeing them get priced as low as 4750. Most likely they think the new jjp is potc and it will negatively affect the stern potc value.

I wouldn't jump SHIP just yet... even IF it's confirmed tonight that it is pirates & the rumors held up... THINK LOTR Stern VS. Hobbit. IMO Stern's LOTR is a better game, many people had the same approach when Hobbit was initially shown... having a visually appealing game is one thing the game needs to also play well etc... Again this is subjective on any title really. I happen to love my Stern POTC, a hit when friends come over likely isn't going anywhere. A great game no matter the age is one that continually draws you back in for more plays... to me Pirates is certainly one of them.

#1410 6 years ago

Personally I love my pirates, I think it's one of the most underrated games, and could be hard to beat - from a gameplay perspective

#1411 6 years ago

That thought process makes zero sense to me. Unless it is a remake, it's a completely different pinball machine, with completely different gameplay. Theme is the only similarity.

I guess it works for some, and being that some people do sell on theme alone, I hope tonight's JJP release is Guns 'N Roses reunited. Maybe I can get a DE one on the cheap from the theme hoppers.

#1412 6 years ago

I very much doubt that the price of a POTC will change just because JJP are bringing out another pin based on the same franchise. After all, they are totally different pins and separated by eleven years.

It's like saying that the price of a 2006 Ford will change because General Motors have released a new model in 2017 that also has a sunroof and a central tail pipe…

#1413 6 years ago
Quoted from michi:

I very much doubt that the price of a POTC will change just because JJP are bringing out another pin based on the same franchise. After all, they are totally different pins and separated by eleven years.
It's like saying that the price of a 2006 Ford will change because General Motors have released a new model in 2017 that also has a sunroof and a central tail pipe…

But they have changed price, at least temporarily. I've been following it because I have mine listed. I saw 1 for 4750, 1 for 4800, 2 for 5k. Nothing wrong with them either.

Even if it is a new potc, the only reason I could see the price dropping is because fewer people may want two games of the same theme. But if they are totally different pins people may want to collect both.

#1414 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

But they have changed price, at least temporarily. I've been following it because I have mine listed. I saw 1 for 4750, 1 for 4800, 2 for 5k. Nothing wrong with them either.
Even if it is a new potc, the only reason I could see the price dropping is because fewer people may want two games of the same theme. But if they are totally different pins people may want to collect both.

I see Spider-man has also gone down in price. I mean there was a BSM couldn't sell for $6K

I paid $4800 for a red SM sold it for $5K. I paid $5K for another SM. But the one I sold at $5K just re-sold for $4800 and it had like $500 in mods added since I sold it.

I'm just saying all the decent - good Stern pro (or pre-premium) may be selling for $4600 or less going forward. There has been a lot of new pinball games out in the last 5 years.

Edit maybe a real nice LotR will sell for $5K+

Also mods like Color DMD may bring the price of PotC or SM above $5K (but may not).

I think when Stern brings out Tron VE even if it's priced at $6400 it'll lower all the existing Tron prices because there will no longer be the un-met demand for Tron. Once there is lower demand the price of Tron will probably settle around whatever Met pro, TWD pro etc,, sells for (plus mods).

#1415 6 years ago

I don't think the lower prices are isolat d to POTC per se... I think Stern resale in general are down... I sold a Metallica with around 300 games on it 5 mo the ago for around 5200... now that same game is selling for around 4800. I think the lack of quality in the newer games is hurting overall sale prices of stern titles

#1417 6 years ago

Reseating the main connector to the opto board is the first thing I'd try. As the next step, I'd replace the opto transceivers with new ones, or ones that are known to work. If the problem doesn't go away after that, at least you'll know that the issue is upstream from there. The optos are not expensive, and it's a good idea to have a spare pair around anyway.

#1418 6 years ago

Thanks michi. Will do!

#1419 6 years ago

I agree with michi. These photos are notoriously flakey. I'd replace them first.

#1420 6 years ago

my potc is comming tonight! super exited!!!
arrrrr

#1421 6 years ago

Problem still happening. I changed the opto board and both optos with new ones. No success.
As soon as the ball go into the plunger lane, by pushing the flippers or the ball going in the pops, the ship takes a hit until it sinks and Kraken is defeated.

Is there a way to adjust optos sensibility?

#1422 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

Problem still happening. I changed the opto board and both optos with new ones. No success.
As soon as the ball go into the plunger lane, by pushing the flippers or the ball going in the pops, the ship takes a hit until it sinks and Kraken is defeated.

It definitely sounds like a vibration issue triggering the switch. If you bang on the side of the machine with your hand, does this cause the ship to register a hit?

#1423 6 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

It definitely sounds like a vibration issue triggering the switch.

I agree. This is most likely a bad connector or a dry solder joint. The optos are normally closed. If there is a flaky connection, each time the circuit opens, the machine will register a hit.

I'd carefully examine the cabling from the opto board back towards the I/O board. Also check all the connectors carefully for bent or corroded pins, and check the cables for any damage or breaks.

You could also try with a multimeter to check for continuity of all the wires that run from the opto board connector to the I/O board connector. Check if, with some vibration, you can see the connection opening and closing. Reflowing the solder joints for the connector on the I/O board also won't do any harm.

#1424 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

There isn't an opto sensitivity adjustment, you still have an intermittent connection somewhere.

Doublecheck that you have the ship optos plugged into J3 and J4.

You replaced the opto board (the board with four 2 pin connectors for optos and a larger 5 pin connector)?

If so, you replaced everything in this circuit and the only thing left is the 5 pin connector that provides the board power and connects the board to the switch matrix. I would replace the factory 5 pin IDC connector with a new crimp on style connector with trifuricon crimp-on pins.

If you have not replaced this board, carefully look at all the 2 pin headers and the 5 pin connector header pins for cold solder joints. You may just want to reflow the solder to them or better yet, replace the header pins. If that does not solve it, I would replace the 5 pin IDC connector.

#1425 6 years ago

Yes I bought a new Opto board and 2 new optos.
I will look at all you guys are suggesting!
thanks a lot!

#1426 6 years ago

Anyone getting a JJPOTC?

#1427 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Anyone getting a JJPOTC?

I see it has a ton of support on the forum, but I don't get it from looking at the videos. That's weird for me because I really like JJP pins. This one just seems "meh". I especially don't like that there aren't any Jack Sparrow call-outs. Just Gibbs. Doesn't do it for me.

#1428 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Anyone getting a JJPOTC?

For the price I would rather have a potc and lotr

#1429 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

For the price I would rather have a potc and lotr

This.

#1430 6 years ago

Anyone ever replace thier right main ramp that also goes to left inlane? I’m replacing it for a friend and wondered if there was anything in particular to watch out for. Thx

#1431 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Anyone ever replace thier right main ramp that also goes to left inlane? I’m replacing it for a friend and wondered if there was anything in particular to watch out for. Thx

Make sure when reinstalling it that it isn't sticking out in to the shooter lane. Will quickly break if it isn't in its slot

#1432 6 years ago

Also, may want to reinforce the gate that drops into the right inlane. This area is notorious for cracking from repeated impacts.

#1433 6 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Also, may want to reinforce the gate that drops into the right inlane. This area is notorious for cracking from repeated impacts.

This is exactly why the ramp needs replacing. The gate was missing from the game and it’s all cracked where it was so can’t install a new one.

#1434 6 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Any suggestions for how to actually do that? I don't have any cracks yet, but I'd like to make sure that I won't get any in the future.

#1435 6 years ago
Quoted from michi:

Any suggestions for how to actually do that? I don't have any cracks yet, but I'd like to make sure that I won't get any in the future.

No idea. I'd have to take mine apart to study possible remedies. Mine is currently unprotected as well.

#1436 6 years ago

My thought was to have a thin metal bracket underneath The ramp so you have metal on top from the gate bracket and metal underneath with the plastic ramp sandwiched in the middle. That should provide reinforcement. In a huo environment, I’d guess nothing is needed, however.

#1437 6 years ago
Quoted from michi:

Don't short plunge, lol

#1438 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Don't short plunge, lol

Sorry, no can do

#1439 6 years ago

Will the Stern Pirates become the lesser, poorer cousin once the Jersey Jack Pirates pin is released? Kind of like the Data East Simpson’s.

#1440 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Will the Stern Pirates become the lesser, poorer cousin once the Jersey Jack Pirates pin is released? Kind of like the Data East Simpson’s.

People here are biased, so you're rather trolling or want to be lied to. I admit I am cheap, but I don't think so because pirates is half the cost of jjpotc and definately not half the game. If money were no object then jjpotc is probably going to have more appeal than potc. Remains to be seen if it's as fun or suffers from the other jjp issues

#1441 6 years ago

I was very disappointed with the JPOTC soundtrack. I was hoping for more epic, immersive movie scores. The first movie has an awesome score, it is sad that it was not used. The gameplay looks cool from the vids.

Bottom line for me is for the price. All I can say is I look forward to playing it at one of my friend's places.

And as for JPOTC killing the price on POTC, I can't see that happening. A dip, maybe but a crash, no. If POTC was a stinker of a game and people were buying it purely for the theme, maybe. But POTC is a fun game and will stand on its own regardless of how fun JPOTC is.

#1442 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

People here are biased, so you're rather trolling or want to be lied to. I admit I am cheap, but I don't think so because pirates is half the cost of jjpotc and definately not half the game. If money were no object then jjpotc is probably going to have more appeal than potc. Remains to be seen if it's as fun or suffers from the other jjp issues

The thing I don’t like about the new JJP POTC is the randomness on ball motion near the flipper from the spinning disks, and from the rocking boat. This would really get annoying in my opinion.

#1443 6 years ago

XMLE the spinning disk was active only occasionally so it was not much of a factor, I haven’t watched much of the videos on JJPOTC so don’t know how often the disks are active, if it’s a lot that could be a problem anticipating the balls return to the flippers.

#1444 6 years ago

Potc is a great game, JJPOTC Will be a great game, can not be compared only the theme is the same. What other game has a ship that sinks in the playfield? The call outs, and I used the movie music, so very happy with mine. JJPOTC will be a great game with the ship, canon and mealstrom, so can’t be compared other that some of the same persons on the field. The Star wars games can also not be compared. Each will holds it own value.

#1445 6 years ago

hi can anyone point me where the ships flasher is located? it doesnt go of in test but i cant seem to find it

#1446 6 years ago

Use the game menu to lower the ship. Once lowered, you can see the flasher behind a protective wire form where the ball travels from the ship to the bumpers.

Michi.

#1447 6 years ago

Thanks!

#1448 6 years ago

Is there a skill shot on this game?

#1449 6 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I see it has a ton of support on the forum, but I don't get it from looking at the videos. That's weird for me because I really like JJP pins. This one just seems "meh". I especially don't like that there aren't any Jack Sparrow call-outs. Just Gibbs. Doesn't do it for me.

I like everything about the game except for the lack of original voices from the films actors. Same goes for video clips not being able to show the actors faces. The Jack Sparrow character played by Johnny Depp makes the Pirates films.

It's awesome that JJP got Kevin McNally for custom Gibbs callouts but if that's the only voice heard in the game its going to get old quick. Stern was able to get a pretty spot on Johnny Depp sound a like for their game. It would have been great if JJP hired him to do callouts along with Kevin McNally and then have lines recorded that play off one another to create some comedy that the movies pull off.

There's a lot of comedy in the Pirates films, good or bad, that is from Jack Sparrow. Without that characters lines in the game it will lack the comedic part of the films universe. Still, the game has so much going for it that I think we need to give it a fair shot and see how the code changes / expands the game.

#1450 6 years ago

Is it confirmed that there is no theme music for the new jjpotc?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mission, BC
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Camanche, IA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 218.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,768 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.