• I wish I were a Pirate 60 votes
    23%
  • I have no interest in Pirates 17 votes
    7%
  • I was a Pirate in the past but not at present. 32 votes
    12%

(260 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 517 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_2701 (resized).JPG
DSC_2693 (resized).JPG
20190416_222656 (resized).jpg
538C151E-7512-4693-AAE4-79625D2E1373 (resized).jpeg
DB2D7DEF-5DE8-4EFE-8A2B-6183FF456D87 (resized).jpeg
9D23A815-E036-4E84-8692-E7258EA2C223.jpeg
2DC55E89-197A-4632-B088-0CDF6C5E3702.jpeg
00B04A2A-6015-4459-8548-45C47818F546.jpeg
F4A2A4C0-0724-4A33-8099-EC72AB1C4DC8.jpeg
7B5DFC68-684C-4EAB-ADC4-289B88C5A698.jpeg
BCA69828-AC7E-4AA8-9943-F550996BBDAC.jpeg
5063972D-51DA-4AEA-BCAC-C9C917026D7E.jpeg
1CCF55AF-CC82-4910-BCFF-E802D7914A30.jpeg
6122105F-2500-4DAF-91DA-D17DF8B6B150.jpeg
BBD15423-FC42-4255-800C-FA16E82B7AA7.jpeg
9975124D-A793-412F-8109-780D7094213E (resized).jpeg

There are 2068 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 42.
#1201 1 year ago

Let us know how it goes please once you have figured it out. There will be multiple people thankful for it in the years to come. If it happens to you, it'll happen to most POTC owners eventually…

Michi.

#1202 1 year ago

Anybody having problems with there chest. My optos don't seem to be working in the switch test. I replaced both of them and replaced the opto board. Still doesn't show in switch test. I've updated the code and the new code says that if ithe chest is not working than the new code will still make the chest do its thing, but I'm not sure if it's 100 percent.
I just bought it and not sure how to spell heart. The chest rises and lights, also makes sounds and stops the ball. Anybody had this issue and does the new code fix the problem?

#1203 1 year ago

Seeing that you replaced the optos and the board, I'd suspect a problem with the wiring or connectors. Re-seating all the connectors might help.

Do the LEDs on the opto board indicate when you interrupt the beam? If so, you know at least that the opto board itself is working, so the problem has to be upstream from there.

#1204 1 year ago

Before I replaced the board, the board would not light. I have not checked for light on the since replacing it. It got late last night, but I don't think it lights up.

#1205 1 year ago

I'll check after work. Thank you for responding

#1206 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Anybody having problems with there chest. My optos don't seem to be working in the switch test. I replaced both of them and replaced the opto board. Still doesn't show in switch test. I've updated the code and the new code says that if ithe chest is not working than the new code will still make the chest do its thing, but I'm not sure if it's 100 percent.
I just bought it and not sure how to spell heart. The chest rises and lights, also makes sounds and stops the ball. Anybody had this issue and does the new code fix the problem?

The optos are just there to register 'key' letters early and make a sound. If you get a ball in the lock in back without triggering the opto, it'll still give you a letter in key (depending on your chest difficulty) , or once key is spelled, open the chest, and then start awarding heart letters.

#1207 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Before I replaced the board, the board would not light. I have not checked for light on the since replacing it. It got late last night, but I don't think it lights up.

There is an LED on the board for each pair of optos. I can't remember whether they are on or off by default. But, regardless, if you interrupt the beam, the led on the board should change state. If it doesn't, either you don't have power to the board, or there is a problem with the board or the optos (or the connectors/cables).

Michi.

#1208 1 year ago

The board tries to light when I unplug an opto, like the connection isn't the greatest. I've tried replacing the optos twice and replacing the board. I think I'm just going to leave it alone. With the new code, the opto doesn't seem to do much to the game anyway.

#1209 1 year ago

Just rebuilt my POTC. Looks amazing. The ship does wiggle back and fourth a little, when soaking the game. Is this normal or is there a couple bolts I need to tighten.

KIMG0314 (resized).JPG

#1210 1 year ago

I'll also be adding this translight.

l_pirates_of_the_caribbean_translite_pinball_sale_stern_02 (resized).jpg

#1211 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

I'll also be adding this translight.

nice

#1212 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Just rebuilt my POTC. Looks amazing. The ship does wiggle back and fourth a little, when soaking the game. Is this normal or is there a couple bolts I need to tighten.

I would keep water away from the game.

#1213 1 year ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I would keep water away from the game.

Glad you said it. I was going to, but figured...nah...too easy.

#1214 1 year ago

Yes, I noticed it after I posted. Freaking auto correct. Lol. When I shake or nudge the machine the ship rocks back and forth. Is this normal?

#1215 1 year ago

I don't believe that is normal. I can only imagine that something came loose, allowing it to move freely now.
I would try going into the test menu and test the ship coils to see if they all function properly.

#1216 1 year ago

Everything tests and works correctly. I was thinking there might be a bolt coming loose. Just wasn't sure where to start looking. I figured asking first might save me some time.

#1217 1 year ago

Could the whole assembly be loose where it meets the playfield?

#1218 1 year ago

Seems like the metal box is tight and only the ship is loose.

#1219 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Yes, I noticed it after I posted. Freaking auto correct. Lol. When I shake or nudge the machine the ship rocks back and forth. Is this normal?

Mine wiggles maybe 5/8th inch at the tops of the sails , couldn't see anything wrong with it, and I've rebuilt the whole thing. Doesn't seem to ever cause a problem

#1220 1 year ago

I took it apart and the wobble seems normal. Thank you for responding. I did open up a big can of worms. I found exposed wiring and a bunch of electrical tape. I fixed that and now the sails won't work. Looks like it's going to be a long night.

#1221 1 year ago

My POTC has just developed a problem with Tortuga multi-ball. When Tortuga is ready (lock is lit), I can put the first ball into Tortuga, and the machine locks the ball, keeping it in the mix master as usual. I get the second ball and launch it. Shortly after (within 3-5 seconds), while the second ball is still in play (but I haven't had a chance to put it into Tortuga yet), I get the "Tortuga" callout, Tortuga opens and I end up with a two-ball multi-ball, never having been given the chance to lock the second or a third ball.

The problem is intermittent. About half the time, it works, the other half, I get this problem where Tortuga opens early, for no obvious reason.

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions where to start?

I don't know what triggers the opening of Tortuga early. Is there a specific switch involved?

Thanks,

Michi.

#1222 1 year ago
Quoted from michi:

My POTC has just developed a problem with Tortuga multi-ball. When Tortuga is ready (lock is lit), I can put the first ball into Tortuga, and the machine locks the ball, keeping it in the mix master as usual. I get the second ball and launch it. Shortly after (within 3-5 seconds), while the second ball is still in play (but I haven't had a chance to put it into Tortuga yet), I get the "Tortuga" callout, Tortuga opens and I end up with a two-ball multi-ball, never having been given the chance to lock the second or a third ball.
The problem is intermittent. About half the time, it works, the other half, I get this problem where Tortuga opens early, for no obvious reason.
Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions where to start?
I don't know what triggers the opening of Tortuga early. Is there a specific switch involved?
Thanks,
Michi.

Maybe the entry opto is acting up?

#1223 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Maybe the entry opto is acting up?

That's a thought. If the entry opto "flutters", I guess the machine would conclude that additional balls were locked, even though that's not actually the case. I'll check that opto, thanks!

Michi.

#1224 1 year ago
Quoted from michi:

That's a thought. If the entry opto "flutters", I guess the machine would conclude that additional balls were locked, even though that's not actually the case. I'll check that opto, thanks!
Michi.

If the opto was fluttering, wouldn't the timer over for the next attempt to lock the ball start over?

This is a weird one...

Only thing I can think of is the code has been corrupted or a problem with the memory that is storing the status of the timer. Have you tried to watch the timer countdown when this happens (easier said than done... )?

#1225 1 year ago

I can't remember if when the ball is drained, if it says "Tortuga" or not. If so, it sounds like it thinks the other ball was drained. You may want to check your ball trough switches. Does anything else seem out of the ordinary during play?

I would think that if it was the mix master opto, it would think you locked another ball, and put another one in the shooter lane. With it announcing "Tortuga" before another ball is locked, that leads me to think that either the machine thinks the other ball drained, or the lock time ran out.

Which is the other possible issue. It thinks the time ran out. I agree with Schwaggs to look and see what the timer does. That would at least allow you to narrow a few things down.

#1226 1 year ago

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll follow up on that. I was thinking that the trough might be responsible as well. With the problem being intermittent, it's hard to figure out what's going on.

The "Tortuga" callout normally happens when the balls are released. I can think of three cases that trigger this:

- I've just locked the third ball, and the machine releases the three balls and ejects the fourth one.

- I have one or two balls locked and the timer runs out, and the locked balls are released.

- I have one or two balls locked and drain the ball in play.

So, I guess you are pointing me in the right direction. If the timer runs short for some reason, I'd be seeing this. A problem with the trough switches could trigger it too. Or the entry opto flutters but, in that case, the timer should reset back to the full 10 seconds (and, as you pointed out, the machine should eject another ball, but that doesn't happen).

There are no other issues with the machine. Absolutely everything else works perfectly.

I've had odd intermittent problems in the past with the Tortuga optos not working reliably, so that'll be my first point of call, I think.

By the way, what is the job of the exit opto? Would a problem with the exit (rather than entry) opto cause this? It's not clear to me what the exit opto is actually used for (other than to trigger a sound effect). There doesn't seem to be a point in counting the balls as they drop out, it seems…

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll report back once I figure it out. I've ordered new optos and opto board; they should arrive in a few days.

Michi.

#1227 1 year ago

I didn't have this exact problem, but other opto issues in the past. I found that the tiny little opto connectors connecting to the little boards under the Playfield kept coming loose. A dab of hot on each and we plugged them in and they have been fine ever since

#1228 1 year ago

The opto boards on potc and other games from this era are very common to fail, particularly the ones in the trough. I'm guessing the vibration in the trough causes the issue. If they don't work right, you can get a host of issues, many related to MBs. Luckily, they aren't expensive to replace. Usually the transmitter light will go out or flicker. Just had it happen on my potc a couple of weeks ago.

#1229 1 year ago

Thanks for the tips! I'll check the trough opto boards as well. It's got to be a problem with either the optos on the Tortuga ramp, or the optos in the trough. I'll start with the Tortuga ones and work my way forward from there.

Thanks for the tip about the connectors too. Yes, I've noticed the same thing; the connectors are not all that reliable. But my problem didn't go away after re-seating the connectors, so I suspect that's not it. (Or the connectors are so marginal that re-seating them isn't enough to fix the problem.)

#1230 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

If the opto was fluttering, wouldn't the timer over for the next attempt to lock the ball start over?

Depending on how they coded it, i could picture it allowing you to lock multiple balls even if it hasn't put them into the shooter yet. It might just count each opto closure as one lock.

Don't think the trough would do it as that would just end Tortuga since there hasn't been a second lock

#1231 1 year ago
Quoted from michi:

Thanks for the tips! I'll check the trough opto boards as well. It's got to be a problem with either the optos on the Tortuga ramp, or the optos in the trough.

Problem solved. Luckily for me, the problem turned from being intermittent to being present all the time, which made it trivial to figure out. It turns out that the Tortuga exit opto transmitter was bad. Once I had the problem show up all the time, I noticed that the transmitter opto had failed, so no red light on the Tortuga exit. Replacing the opto fixed the problem, of course.

Interestingly, with the opto not working at all, the symptoms changed. Tortuga ended as soon as I put a second ball into Tortuga. The defective opto makes the machine think that the Tortuga exit is permanently interrupted (as if a ball were stuck there). Once the first ball is locked in Tortuga, as soon as another ball triggers the entry opto, Tortuga starts, with the "Tortuga" callout and the plunder pin releasing the balls. Looks like the software can't deal with the broken exit opto (which is not that surprising, seeing that this isn't a normal operating scenario).

#1232 1 year ago

Hey guys!

I'm having a problem with my POTC, just wanted to see if anyone here had an issue like this?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-double-action

#1233 1 year ago

The pinball deflector made by MAFFEWL is awesome. I would never own this game without it. Getting rid of the sneeze guard is a must. Thanks William!

2064 (resized).jpeg

#1234 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

The pinball deflector made by MAFFEWL is awesome. I would never own this game without it. Getting rid of the sneeze guard is a must. Thanks William!

Such a nice solution to the airball problem.

#1235 1 year ago

Love my new translite. If I had any cons about it, I would like it a little more vibrant to match the LED's.

KIMG0324 (resized).JPG

#1236 1 year ago

I think somebody is color blind!

#1237 1 year ago

i think i just went color blind!

#1238 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

I've owned this game, sneeze guard off day one, less a couple years, since 2006 and have never had one airball, played daily. Just sayin.

#1239 1 year ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

I've owned this game, sneeze guard off day one, less a couple years, since 2006 and have never had one airball, played daily. Just sayin.

Ditto.

#1240 1 year ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

I had several airballs right after I shopped mine, which is what led me to creating the airball deflector. I was able to get a video of one (accidentally) which I posted in this thread at 1019 - link below - prior to creating the deflector. It was obviously something that Stern was concerned about too, otherwise they wouldn't have ever created the sneezeguard. The deflector isn't for everyone, but I'm happy it's been able to help out those that needed it.

Video of airball post:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/21#post-3584417

#1241 1 year ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

Put a Titan lockbar receiver finisher on tonight

Can someone point me in the right direction for these rule cards?

#1242 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Can someone point me in the right direction for these rule cards?

pinballcards.com

#1243 1 year ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

pinballcards.com

Thanks!

#1244 1 year ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I was able to get a video of one (accidentally) which I posted in this thread at 1019 - link below - prior to creating the deflector.

I used to get the exact same airball all the time. Occasionally, the ball would land on top of the plastic behind the rum ramp (near the spotlight) and the only way to free the ball was to remove the glass.

Since installing your protector, I haven't had a single airball in hundreds of games.

#1245 1 year ago
Quoted from michi:

I used to get the exact same airball all the time. Occasionally, the ball would land on top of the plastic behind the rum ramp (near the spotlight) and the only way to free the ball was to remove the glass.
Since installing your protector, I haven't had a single airball in hundreds of games.

I must say, it's a pretty cool feeling to know that these things that I made are now on machines all over the world.

#1246 1 year ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I must say, it's a pretty cool feeling to know that these things that I made are now on machines all over the world.

Cool indeed. Thanks for having taken the initiative, and more thanks for making it available to others!

#1247 1 year ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I haven't had the airball problem, so I haven't had to ask for your mod. But you can be sure the second I do, I'll be in touch. So don't stop making them!

#1248 1 year ago

I agree. Or in other words . . .

ImWithStupid (resized).jpg

#1249 1 year ago

So close......so far away. Battled Davey Jones twice, just didn't get there. Exhilarating, I love this game.

IMG_7238 - Copy (resized).JPG

#1250 1 year ago

Hello to the group,

I replaced the main ramp as the original was broken on different areas. The new ramp makes a difference visually, only thing I have a problem is that when the ball is shot for play it will bounce hitting the glass. I would have to make sure the plunger is not pulled back all the way. Has anyone had this happen or have any ideas?

Thanks....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 399.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
4,975 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Syracuse, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waukesha, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Merrick, NY
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2068 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 42.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside