Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 76.
#1051 7 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

This is more of a gameplay question, but I want to know how many owners have decent games/points without short plunging to Tortuga wheel all day long.

I generally don't short plunge because it's not that hard to bring the ball back under control, and because I like getting Key letters lit and/or making progress towards Parlay. With the standard 5-second ball save, it's possible to get two Key letters from a single plunge if you go through the left or right top lane and let the first ball drain during the ball save.

As far as tournament strategy is concerned (with extra balls off), it's pretty much "ignore everything except Tortuga and the chest." The ship can come in handy as an add-a-ball during Heart or Tortuga multi-ball. (Sink the ship once another multi-ball is down to two balls to bring a third ball into play.) If extra balls are on, I try to complete the first kraken and—opportunistically, during multi-ball—Jack. That's to get the extra ball reward at the center shot. Once that is lit, I ignore the kraken and Jack because they aren't worth enough points to warrant mucking around with them.

Once jackpots are maxed at 2 million, I keep grinding jackpots for as long as possible. Ideally, I try to get one multi-ball ready (without starting it) while another multi-ball is running, so I'm playing multi-ball pretty much the entire time. My best score that way is 638 million. That's without short-plunging, and without defeating Davy Jones.

Michi.

#1052 7 years ago

This is more of a gameplay question, but I want to know how many owners have decent games/points without short plunging to Tortuga wheel all day long. Since everything stacks, and Tortuga has x2, x3 opprtunities with long ball save, is this the only strategy for POTC?

Scoring wise, nothing beats score multiplers on any game, and a score multiplier from a repeatable shot with MB attached? Shoot ramp -> live catch -> backhand ramp -> repeat till multiball, then bash other stuff, repeat till points.

(and please don't tell me about your 'house rules' not to short plunge--that's just silly)

The game becomes way too easy if you just short plunge three balls up the ramp as soon as it starts, there's not even any point or challenge at all. Whether you full plunge by force of will or just remove that one way ramp (as they apparently often do in tournaments), you at least give tortuga a slight nerf. It's still quite possible to fill up the spinner anyway, all full plunging does is remove a pretty much straight guarantee. Not that it matters anyway, even if you only get two balls from tortuga, it's easy enough to start the ship for a third. There's no advantage to getting all your balls from tortuga (it doesn't limit your X to the amount of balls you locked at the beginning or anything), so as long as you start it you're good.

Best strategy is to use tortuga to start a ship MB and get the chest open, then once you've got your jackpots lit hit the center shot for max jackpot and collect crew. Now that collect is lit, fill up the spinner to finish it quickly with a multiplier for an easy 15-30million, then just start hitting 2mil x 2 jackpots and hopefully bring in heart after a while

And regarding it being silly: the only reason I have a 'house rule' instead of removing the gate is because it's a pain to put the gate back in. Either way, not being able to short plunge makes the game better+more balenced

#1053 7 years ago

How does Parlay work?

#1054 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

How does Parlay work?

Go through the hole in the upper playfield enough to spell it, then during single ball play if you drain out the outlane you'll get it back once. Each time it gets harder to spell

#1055 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Each time it gets harder to spell

Does it? As far as I know, the first time (on default settings), each hit on the hole awards two letters, so I need to get through the hole three times to complete Parlay. Thereafter, it's just a single letter per hole, no matter how many times I complete it, so I need to get through the hole six times to complete Parlay. Does it get any harder than that?

Michi.

#1056 7 years ago

I am not in it for the points, I am in it for completing the compass. But that is with all my games, just trying to get to the end of it. So I have a different strategy than tournament players. Thats why I like POTC, It has clear goals and an endgame that can be made. Unlike other machines where I never ever came close to completing it.

#1057 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Go through the hole in the upper playfield enough to spell it, then during single ball play if you drain out the outlane *you'll get it back once*. Each time it gets harder to spell

You'll get what back once?

I forgot, what is the maneuver where you get credit for sinking a ship with one shot, and it says "you cheated"?

#1058 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I forgot, what is the maneuver where you get credit for sinking a ship with one shot, and it says "you cheated"?

Broadside

#1059 7 years ago
Quoted from michi:

Does it? As far as I know, the first time (on default settings), each hit on the hole awards two letters, so I need to get through the hole three times to complete Parlay. Thereafter, it's just a single letter per hole, no matter how many times I complete it, so I need to get through the hole six times to complete Parlay. Does it get any harder than that?
Michi.

Eventually it resets progress each ball. Very annoying.

Quoted from rai:

It'll autolaunch a new ball so you can continue your game.

Quoted from rai:I forgot, what is the maneuver where you get credit for sinking a ship with one shot, and it says "you cheated"?

Go down the right lane on the top playfield when the sails are already destroyed and it'll flash the ship for broadside

#1060 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

It'll autolaunch a new ball so you can continue your game.

Go down the right lane on the top playfield when the sails are already destroyed and it'll flash the ship for broadside

Cool.

I know the code is not super feel like ACDC but it's got a good bit of little details like this that makes it fun.

#1061 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Go through the right top lane while the sails are down, and you get Broadside, which is a hurry-up shot to the ship. Hit it, and you sink the ship with that shot. It's interesting for the 3rd and later ships, where it saves quite a few shots.

Michi.

#1062 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Ah, yes, forgot about that, thanks!

Michi.

#1063 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Cool.
I know the code is not super feel like ACDC but it's got a good bit of little details like this that makes it fun.

I know quite a few people that say POTC isn't deep but when I had mine (& im buying another this week hopefully) I have always found the rules to be the perfect depth, most games I won't see everything the game has but those occasional games where everything just shoots right and flows I am in reaching distance. I personally rate POTC rules higher than AC/DC just more fluid and run imo.

When I get my next POTC I will tackle the code in pin browser, the only thing that ever let it down was Stern dropped the ball with the licence a little, abit like TWD but now we have pin browser I can see this POTC going nowhere!

#1064 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I know quite a few people that say POTC isn't deep but when I had mine (& im buying another this week hopefully) I have always found the rules to be the perfect depth, most games I won't see everything the game has but those occasional games where everything just shoots right and flows I am in reaching distance. I personally rate POTC rules higher than AC/DC just more fluid and run imo.
When I get my next POTC I will tackle the code in pin browser, the only thing that ever let it down was Stern dropped the ball with the licence a little, abit like TWD but now we have pin browser I can see this POTC going nowhere!

That'd be great, one thing that puts TWD over the top is the audio mods.

#1065 7 years ago
Quoted from michi:

Go through the right top lane while the sails are down, and you get Broadside, which is a hurry-up shot to the ship. Hit it, and you sink the ship with that shot. It's interesting for the 3rd and later ships, where it saves quite a few shots.
Michi.

Right orbit? or the skill shot lane?

#1066 7 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Right orbit? or the skill shot lane?

The rightmost of the three lanes on the upper playfield

#1067 7 years ago

I need some guidance I got a POTC that was extremely dirty and not taken care of properly. I was able to change the main ramp and cleaned and wax the play field. Lamps that were out were corrected and the compass decal has been also put in new. The pin is started to look great.

Here is my issue when a game is started instead of one ball coming out all 4 balls are shot out. I cannot figure out why all the balls are registering as one. The other issue is I cannot get to service menu I get the following message : 50v/20v disabled close coin door or pull interlock switch to restore power. Hopefully someone in the group may provide some insight.

#1068 7 years ago

Your optos likely aren't working in the trough so that's why it's spitting out balls.

Coin door switch is bad possibly. Hold the door switch in to see if you can get to the menus. Tape it closed if you have to.

#1069 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Your optos likely aren't working in the trough so that's why it's spitting out balls.
Coin door switch is bad possibly. Hold the door switch in to see if you can get to the menus. Tape it closed if you have to.

It's just inside the coin door on the left. It does this on purpose for safety.

#1070 7 years ago

Would any POTC owners be interested in a pop cap mod? I always found the plain red pop caps pretty boring and out of place with the rest of the playfield which is loaded with custom stuff.

If anyone has seen Hookeds pop cap sets or Zitts Stsr Trek caps, I was considering something like those with laser cut design - off the top of my head I was thinking Aztec coin design, finished in gold with white or yellow acrylic behind allowing light to shine through coin design - was thinking cool white light to replicate the moon light from the films.

Thoughts?

#1071 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It's just inside the coin door on the left. It does this on purpose for safety.

I understand but I am not able to get to the Service menu at all. I press the menu button and it just says Free Game if I open the coin door I get the message.

#1072 7 years ago
Quoted from marmar:

I understand but I am not able to get to the Service menu at all. I press the menu button and it just says Free Game if I open the coin door I get the message.

If you open the coin door, it is supposed to give the message about disabling power. Why you cant get to the menue sounds like an issue with your menu buttons. Check the wires to the buttons.

#1073 7 years ago
Quoted from marmar:

The inner most button adds credits. The outer one opens the menu. I had to disassemble mine and sand the contacts to get them to work. You can use a flathead to jump the lugs though too in a pinch.

#1074 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Would any POTC owners be interested in a pop cap mod? I always found the plain red pop caps pretty boring and out of place with the rest of the playfield which is loaded with custom stuff.
If anyone has seen Hookeds pop cap sets or Zitts Stsr Trek caps, I was considering something like those with laser cut design - off the top of my head I was thinking Aztec coin design, finished in gold with white or yellow acrylic behind allowing light to shine through coin design - was thinking cool white light to replicate the moon light from the films.
Thoughts?

I do not like anything flat, so laser cut is not my thing. I like the popbumpers on Aliens, the 3d eggs. Piles of gold coins/treasure on top of the cap. When you use a clear cap or yellow one, that would look great. Just brainstorming...

#1075 7 years ago

I was looking at something last night on my POTC and I was noticing the Optos connected for the spinning compass and Tortuga ramp. Since I'm still learning to trouble shoot issues on pins I wonder if the optos are taken out of the plastics would they cause the readings for that section not to work correctly if they are not attached on the same spot.

Common sense says yes but I wanted to ask to be sure. I am labeling everything anyways for before and after assembly.

#1076 7 years ago
Quoted from marmar:

I was looking at something last night on my POTC and I was noticing the Optos connected for the spinning compass and Tortuga ramp. Since I'm still learning to trouble shoot issues on pins I wonder if the optos are taken out of the plastics would they cause the readings for that section not to work correctly if they are not attached on the same spot.
Common sense says yes but I wanted to ask to be sure. I am labeling everything anyways for before and after assembly.

Not sure if this is what you are asking, but the optos can be switched to either side. Each one does not have to go on a certain side of the ramp. You can also switch which input they are plugged into, it will just change which is the omitter and which is the receiver. Essentially, as long as you have one giving light, and one receiving, it should work. There is nothing special about each opto, they can be put in any other opto spot on the machine.

#1077 7 years ago

So new optos are very inexpensive. Do the new ones work well and better than the original ones? Doing an order soon and wanted to ask. Thanks

#1078 7 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

So new optos are very inexpensive. Do the new ones work well and better than the original ones? Doing an order soon and wanted to ask. Thanks

I found this for the optos. I was thinking of getting this if I find the ones I am troubleshooting are failing.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1210

#1079 7 years ago
Quoted from marmar:

I found this for the optos. I was thinking of getting this if I find the ones I am troubleshooting are failing.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1210

Yes those. My friend who has potc mentioned resoldering the optos if they have an issue, but at $3.95 why not start them fresh?

If anyone wants to chime in before I order please let me know. Thanks

#1080 7 years ago

I did new ones, just to make sure, or just lazy.

#1081 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I do not like anything flat, so laser cut is not my thing. I like the popbumpers on Aliens, the 3d eggs. Piles of gold coins/treasure on top of the cap. When you use a clear cap or yellow one, that would look great. Just brainstorming...

Great idea, no problem I'm all for brainstorming to get something cool, that would appeal to as many POTC owners as possible.

It's the one area of POTC that feels unfinished the bright red caps just don't fit imo, although that's not a compliant as you can clearly see where the $$$ on the playfield, but why not improve them?

My Ironman caps and Star Trek caps really make the world of difference, so I got the idea why not give POTC the same luxury treatment and bling

#1082 7 years ago

I re-soldered mine, no issues since.

#1083 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

It's the one area of POTC that feels unfinished the bright red caps just don't fit imo, although that's not a compliant as you can clearly see where the $$$ on the playfield, but why not improve them?

Due to the ghosting LEDs the previous owner installed in mine the red caps 'pulse' along with the chest (lighter ghosting pulse right after the regular flash), actually looks pretty good...

#1084 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

If you open the coin door, it is supposed to give the message about disabling power. Why you cant get to the menue sounds like an issue with your menu buttons. Check the wires to the buttons.

I was able to get the issue with interlock resolved after looking and tracing cables I found the connection to the Service Menu button needed t be re-solder. The ball trough issue still happening looks like the Opto board may be bad I think the best thing will be to order a replacement boards.

The one thing I have noticed is during play when the ball is shot up the ramp the ball will go up to the compass but it really will not start to spin until after the ball comes back down to the playfield and once the ball is in the play field the pin will come up to lock the ball. I am not sure if this is normal still learning the game play on this pin.

#1085 7 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Yes those. My friend who has potc mentioned resoldering the optos if they have an issue, but at $3.95 why not start them fresh?
If anyone wants to chime in before I order please let me know. Thanks

Did you order new optos? I went ahead an ordered new ones for the spinning disk section seems to be acting incorrectly.

#1086 7 years ago
Quoted from marmar:

I went ahead an ordered new ones for the spinning disk section seems to be acting incorrectly.

Run a switch test and interrupt the light beam for each of the optos. While obstructed, the optos should register as a closed switch; otherwise, as an open switch.

Michi.

#1087 7 years ago
Quoted from marmar:

Did you order new optos? I went ahead an ordered new ones for the spinning disk section seems to be acting incorrectly.

I got Pirates 2 weeks ago and the ones at the top of the ramp were acting funny for tiny bit and then have been fine for a while,m. I will order a couple anyway at 3.95 a pop.
Sounds like you are doing good on yours. It is a fun game!

#1088 7 years ago

I would really like to add some gold mini coins and two mini figures on that that battle in a sword fight. Just like the treasure room scene from the movies. That way also the sword fight is correct in that area.
I have also still an idea for adding a port at the left side. Like the buildings from back alley on spider man but then a port theme from pirates. I just do not know where to start? 3D print that?

#1089 7 years ago
Quoted from marmar:

The one thing I have noticed is during play when the ball is shot up the ramp the ball will go up to the compass but it really will not start to spin until after the ball comes back down to the playfield and once the ball is in the play field the pin will come up to lock the ball. I am not sure if this is normal still learning the game play on this pin.

No that isn't normal. First thing I would check is the switch at the bottom of the ramp, make sure that is adjusted and working properly, then look at the optos.

#1090 7 years ago
Quoted from marmar:

The motor is supposed to start as soon as the switch at the bottom of the ramp is triggered. Once the ball goes into the mixmaster, it should stay trapped in there by the plunder pin for several seconds. Then, once the pin is deactivated, it opens the exit.

Run a switch test and check the switch at the bottom of the ramp as well as both optos on the mixmaster.

Michi.

#1092 7 years ago
Quoted from michi:

The motor is supposed to start as soon as the switch at the bottom of the ramp is triggered. Once the ball goes into the mixmaster, it should stay trapped in there by the plunder pin for several seconds. Then, once the pin is deactivated, it opens the exit.
Run a switch test and check the switch at the bottom of the ramp as well as both optos on the mixmaster.
Michi.

Thank you Michi...

I did a switch test and found the problem. Now the plunder pin is working correctly. The only thing I have left is the ball trough issue all 4 balls are coming out and is never ending. Looks like switch 22 is having an issue so the optos on the ball trough have to be looked at. I thin replacing them would be the easier thing to do.

#1093 7 years ago
Quoted from marmar:

The only thing I have left is the ball trough issue all 4 balls are coming out and is never ending. Looks like switch 22 is having an issue so the optos on the ball trough have to be looked at. I thin replacing them would be the easier thing to do.

Again, the switch test should help isolate the problem. Take the balls out and activate the trough optos by interrupting the beams with a stick or some such. Might save you having to replace the entire unit, depending on what's going wrong.

Michi.

#1094 7 years ago

I'm about to install a new compass decal because the old one has mostly worn away. I'm sick of all the dust that gets generated by the abrasion on the decal; the damn stuff ends up everywhere on the playfield

I found this on pinwiki: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Stern_S.A.M._System_Repair#Pirates_of_the_Caribbean

They recommend to use "clear non-slip bath tub stuff" on the decal. Has anyone here done this? If so, what kind of product/brand did you use? I'm hoping to find some sort of sealer or surface coating that will reduce abrasion, both to protect the decal and to reduce the amount of dust in the machine.

I did look at the decal protector from pinball.center. It's not clear to me how that works though. Apparently, it is supposed to be applied over the original decal. But the original decal has quite a rough surface, so I don't see how the protector would stick on that and and stay put. If anyone has used that decal protector, I'd be keen to hear about your experiences. Does it last? Does it still look decent after a few hundred games?

Thanks,

Michi.

#1095 7 years ago
Quoted from michi:

I'm about to install a new compass decal because the old one has mostly worn away. I'm sick of all the dust that gets generated by the abrasion on the decal; the damn stuff ends up everywhere on the playfield
I found this on pinwiki: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Stern_S.A.M._System_Repair#Pirates_of_the_Caribbean
They recommend to use "clear non-slip bath tub stuff" on the decal. Has anyone here done this? If so, what kind of product/brand did you use? I'm hoping to find some sort of sealer or surface coating that will reduce abrasion, both to protect the decal and to reduce the amount of dust in the machine.
I did look at the decal protector from pinball.center. It's not clear to me how that works though. Apparently, it is supposed to be applied over the original decal. But the original decal has quite a rough surface, so I don't see how the protector would stick on that and and stay put. If anyone has used that decal protector, I'd be keen to hear about your experiences. Does it last? Does it still look decent after a few hundred games?
Thanks,
Michi.

I've been wondering about just putting mylar on

#1096 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've been wondering about just putting mylar on

I suspect that wouldn't work too well because the surface of the decal is quite rough. I expect mylar wouldn't stick to that for any length of time. Also, it seems that the decal has to have a surface that is either rough or sticky, otherwise it won't move the ball around very well. There has to be something to create friction.

Michi.

#1097 7 years ago

So what is the census of where the ball goes after it comes down from the pops or treasure chest form the right side? I played a few Pirates and hit the rubber at the top of the slings and creates kind of a "danger bounce" from that side, but played a friends game recently and the ball was coming down to the right flipper from that side. I liked that better for control and less randomness.

What goes on with your folks pins?

#1098 7 years ago

Danger bounce.

#1100 7 years ago

Mine bounces off the top of the right sling, but almost always right into the left inlane. So not really a danger bounce for me

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.