• I wish I were a Pirate 60 votes
    23%
  • I have no interest in Pirates 18 votes
    7%
  • I was a Pirate in the past but not at present. 32 votes
    12%

(261 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 518 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fa740f3760c1e7cc46aa9b6a659878ce9b3294e7.jpeg (resized).jpg
DSC_2701 (resized).JPG
DSC_2693 (resized).JPG
20190416_222656 (resized).jpg
538C151E-7512-4693-AAE4-79625D2E1373 (resized).jpeg
DB2D7DEF-5DE8-4EFE-8A2B-6183FF456D87 (resized).jpeg
9D23A815-E036-4E84-8692-E7258EA2C223.jpeg
2DC55E89-197A-4632-B088-0CDF6C5E3702.jpeg
00B04A2A-6015-4459-8548-45C47818F546.jpeg
F4A2A4C0-0724-4A33-8099-EC72AB1C4DC8.jpeg
7B5DFC68-684C-4EAB-ADC4-289B88C5A698.jpeg
BCA69828-AC7E-4AA8-9943-F550996BBDAC.jpeg
5063972D-51DA-4AEA-BCAC-C9C917026D7E.jpeg
1CCF55AF-CC82-4910-BCFF-E802D7914A30.jpeg
6122105F-2500-4DAF-91DA-D17DF8B6B150.jpeg
BBD15423-FC42-4255-800C-FA16E82B7AA7.jpeg

There are 2075 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 42.
#1001 2 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I have only the final score. Once you got four winds and the ball drains the compass is reset and you can start all over again....

#1002 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've got the same problem right now. As far as I can tell, it'll react sooner when a ball goes in instead of waiting for it to settle in the back.
Before you've spelled KEY, the opto will give a letter even if you don't make the shot completely

I just replaced the opto, and it's working fine again. You are right, it awards a key letter even if the ball doesn't make it all the way into the chest and drops back down again.

In terms of game play, it makes almost no difference. But there is also a sound effect attached to the opto, which adds a (tiny) bit of interest.

Michi.

#1003 2 years ago

So I bought my POTC at the end of '06 and owned it for 2 1/2 years and sold it to a buddy and just got it back about 4 months ago. I've only been to 4 winds about 4 or 5 times and never finished it. I usually get about 4 - 6 of the lights out regularly on the compass and occasionally close to 4 winds. Couple weeks ago, believe I was one or two shots away on heart multiball from starting 4 winds, when the ball drained. Game is a rush and love the strategy involved, keeps me coming back for more.

IMG_4659 (resized).JPG
IMG_4663 (resized).JPG
PS. kept the incandescent bulbs in it as I like how they slow on and off and the game is set 3 ball factory.

#1004 2 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

I've only been to 4 winds about 4 or 5 times and never finished it.

Same here. I've played Four Winds eight times, but haven't managed to finish it yet. Got three of the four winds last time before I drained

It's interesting that the strategy for tournament play (max points) is very different from reaching wizard mode. None of the games where I reached Four Winds are in my high score table. For my highest score (634,808950), I didn't beat Davy Jones either.

One of these days, I'll get a few gauntlet points…

Michi.

#1005 2 years ago

Joined the club today! I won't take a pic. You folks know what it looks like.

Had a pin party tonight to celebrate the arrival.

#1006 2 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

Couple weeks ago, believe I was one or two shots away on heart multiball from starting 4 winds, when the ball drained. Game is a rush.

One of the few pins I'm decent at. Caveat, this was set to 5 balls.

20170205_231837059_iOS (resized).jpg

#1007 2 years ago

Wow on the new POTC trailer. Looks great!

#1008 2 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Wow on the new POTC trailer. Looks great!
» YouTube video

awesome, I was looking who sung that song it's the incomparable Jonny Cash.

#1009 2 years ago

Just got my Pirates with really no LEDs in it. I was looking at options and a friend of mine who loves LEDs says Pirates is one game that he thinks should not have very many LEDs on the playfield. He said the yellow from the playfield and stock lighting is warm and reminds him of candle lights which goes well with the Pirate theme.
I thought it was an interesting observation.

#1010 2 years ago

I left the incandescents in mine as it does look better to me. I actually added yellow ones under the slingshot plastics and blue at the line of blue at right by shooter lane. I agree with your buddy on this one. I also like how they slow on and off around the compass, looks better as the lights circle it. Beautiful playfield, for sure, the LED's I tried just didn't do it for me.

#1011 2 years ago

It's my only game that I did not LED any inserts. I did put LEDs in spots and flasher and back walk though

#1012 2 years ago

I do like the incandescent warm light, and agree that it fits this game well. That said, I very much enjoy how mine turned out after led'ing it.

#1013 2 years ago

Picked up a plastic shield from maffewl to go over the stand up targets by the ship. Had a few airballs already where the ball flew up on the ramp above and one ball got stuck on the light post that shines on the ship. That in just 2 days.
Hope the shield helps.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/40967

#1014 2 years ago

How are you getting airballs, exactly? I haven't gotten a single one yet, don't see what would do it

#1015 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

How are you getting airballs, exactly? I haven't gotten a single one yet, don't see what would do it

Pirate stand up targets.

#1016 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Pirate stand up targets.

So how does the ball get in the ship from there? Shouldn't it air ball over the slings?

#1017 2 years ago

I actually have a video of my wife playing and a miniature airball happening before I created the airball deflector (the ball landed in the rum ramp). Of course, after I created/installed the deflector, no more airballs, and even better, no more hunk of plastic blocking the view of the ship. I'll post the video when I get a chance. They are typically caused by ricochets/rebounds around the green targets and metal guide rails. This is why Stern made that huge hunk of plastic to go around the ship and other toys - to protect them. Especially the sails as they are fragile. I would also venture to say that air balls landing in the rum ramp aren't good for that plastic either as that is a thin unsupported part of the run.

#1018 2 years ago

Yeah my large shield is off also, so I want to get some protection. Not a fan of the big shield.

#1019 2 years ago

Here's the video. The airball happens around the 35-36 second mark. You can hear my wife react by saying "oh". This was taken right after I had shopped the machine and obviously had not yet created/installed the deflector as the big plastic can be seen. Sorry for the quality. It was taken on an old iPhone and compressed.

#1020 2 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Here's the video. The airball happens around the 35-36 second mark. You can hear my wife react by saying "oh". This was taken right after I had shopped the machine and obviously had not yet created/installed the deflector as the big plastic can be seen. Sorry for the quality. It was taken on an old iPhone and compressed.
» YouTube video

That's right, occasionally ball jumps clear over the rum ramp and gets stuck around the spotlight, before your air ball deflector I drilled out a hole in the plastic allowing the ball to return to play.

#1021 2 years ago

The big shield never bothered me, but I always thought it would be cool to put a decal on it that had ocean waves on it -- like showing the ship at sea.

#1022 2 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

The big shield never bothered me, but I always thought it would be cool to put a decal on it that had ocean waves on it -- like showing the ship at sea.

I took it out immediately and haven't had a single airball in 200+ games

#1023 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Sounds like it's working for you. I personally wouldn't want to risk it for the one time it does happen and something breaks, but to each their own.

Reminds me of my nieces who don't put cases on their brand new iPhones because they "never drop them". And I honestly mean no offense by that. I cringe thinking of it, just the way my mind works I guess.

#1024 2 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Sounds like a cool idea. If you do it, post some pics!

#1025 2 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Sounds like it's working for you. I personally wouldn't want to risk it for the one time it does happen and something breaks, but to each their own.
Reminds me of my nieces who don't put cases on their brand new iPhones because they "never drop them". And I honestly mean no offense by that. I cringe thinking of it, just the way my mind works I guess.

Heh, I don't have a case for my phone either. Not that it's impossible, just that I find them so annoying I'll pay the $300 on the rare chance it happens

#1026 2 years ago

I had only one airball in two years of playing. That was during tortuga multiball. I do not thinks it was from a pirate target but more from two balls crashing into eachother. I removed the sneeze guard so had to get the ball out of there since it landed next to the ramp near the ship.

#1027 2 years ago

I used to have loads of problems with airballs. The ball typically would jump up onto the rum ramp but, occasionally, would end up getting stuck behind the rum ramp near the left spotlight for the ship, and I had to remove the glass to free the stuck ball.

I installed maffewl's airball protector a few weeks ago, and zero airballs since then. I highly recommend that mod, it really works!

Michi.

#1028 2 years ago

About 4,000 plays on my POTC and never had an airball, seems from reading here, that you either have a lot of them, or none at all. Strange.

#1029 2 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

About 4,000 plays on my POTC and never had an airball, seems from reading here, that you either have a lot of them, or none at all. Strange.

Indeed. All the airballs (at least in my case) come from the pirate stand-up targets. In particular, the one to the left and right of the ship lane, and the one to the left of the Jack ramp. The two stand-up targets either side of the chest never produce an airball, for some reason; neither does the one left of the Tortuga ramp.

I guess there are lots of variables here. The targets won't be mounted in the exact same orientation on every machine, the angle of the play may be related, whether the playfield was waxed and is fast might make a difference, etc. A POTC is an imprecise mechanical contraption…

Anyway, no more airballs for me after installing maffewl's mod. Haven't had to take the glass off to retrieve a stuck ball even once since then.

Michi.

#1030 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

My wife and I have also put hundreds of games on our POTC and never seen this airball... guess machines experience it more than others.

#1031 2 years ago

With the help of some new white rubbers and an extra ball I finally defeated Davy Jones and made it to four winds. Not sure how it actually works as I didn't have a chance to look at the display during it, but I made it almost through the third set of arrows before draining. Everything seemed sorta barren after that so I shrugged and figured I'd just play for jackpots since I could relocate the 2mil now. Those multiballs get really hard to start! Think it took 10 shots to light Tortuga.. :/ Somehow managed to make it to the point of destroying Davy Jones's sails a second time before draining. Game gets easier once all the stress is gone.

IMG_20170207_165821.jpg

IMG_20170207_165846.jpg

#1032 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

With the help of some new white rubbers and an extra ball I finally defeated Davy Jones and made it to four winds. Not sure how it actually works as I didn't have a chance to look at the display during it, but I made it almost through the third set of arrows before draining. Everything seemed sorta barren after that so I shrugged and figured I'd just play for jackpots since I could relocate the 2mil now. Those multiballs get really hard to start! Think it took 10 shots to light Tortuga.. :/ Somehow managed to make it to the point of destroying Davy Jones's sails a second time before draining. Game gets easier once all the stress is gone.

#1033 2 years ago

New translite.

IMG_20170209_223337 (resized).jpg

#1035 2 years ago

I hadn't seen that one before. Looks very nice! Where is it from?

Michi.

#1036 2 years ago

My son came through again, printed me another key chain!

image (resized).jpeg

#1037 2 years ago

custom made for a friend.
Not for sale.

#1038 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

custom made for a friend.
Not for sale.

I'd like to be your friend

#1039 2 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I'd like to be your friend

LMAO!

#1040 2 years ago

Need a little help please. I am noticing I am getting balls added to quickly during the 10 second countdown during multiball. Balls are ejected into the shooter lane before I have shot a ball up into the spinner area during the countdown. Do the optos at the top of the ramp need to be checked or adjusted?
Thanks

#1041 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Need a little help please. I am noticing I am getting balls added to quickly during the 10 second countdown during multiball. Balls are ejected into the shooter lane before I have shot a ball up into the spinner area during the countdown. Do the optos at the top of the ramp need to be checked or adjusted?
Thanks

That would be my first place to look. For some reason the machine thinks a ball is added in the tortuga bowl. So probably a bad opto. Happened to me, resulted in a monster score though. Best is to buy a new opto, will set you back 5$ or so. Will you are at that, replace the opto in de bowl as well. I had all my opto's replaced over time, the originals used are not that great.

#1042 2 years ago

Yes better scores! Ok I will look up the part for them. Thanks

#1043 2 years ago

These optos can be a little touchy. Typically they just need to be re-soldered on the back side. I had an issue where my chest optos were flaking out. Removed them, and found the connection was weak on the back side. Re-soldered and good to go.

#1044 2 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

These optos can be a little touchy. Typically they just need to be re-soldered on the back side. I had an issue where my chest optos were flaking out. Removed them, and found the connection was weak on the back side. Re-soldered and good to go.

Has anyone had weird problems with the ship opto specifically? I resoldered all of them when I got the game, and every opto has been fine except for the ship. About 50 games in it started spazzing out, doing multiple hits or even repeated hits. I discovered that the walls of the ship shot were actually tilting outwards slightly, and by just putting a bit of pressure on the wall I could tilt it back enough to make the opto fire, so I tightened the walls, which didn't help at all, and then I stuck a bit of clear acrylic in front of the opto to hold it at the right angle. Worked great, fixed that repeating problem, but now just twice I've had the ship randomly get hit when the ball wasn't even near it (one time it was going off the plank and another time I was catching it on the flipper). I can't get the ship to misfire at all no matter how much pressure I put on the walls/opto or how much I wiggle the wires going to it (which is how I found all the optos that needed resoldering)

#1045 2 years ago

First try reseating those crappy opto connectors at the little board under the playfield.

#1046 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

First try reseating those crappy opto connectors at the little board under the playfield.

Did that too, and reflowed the solder on the headers, and repinned the connectors

#1047 2 years ago

Have you tried moving the optos around? I.e., place the ship optos in the chest position and vice versa? That would probably be a pain but would help narrow down some of the issue as to whether it was an opto problem, or an opto board/board problem.

#1048 2 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Have you tried moving the optos around? I.e., place the ship optos in the chest position and vice versa? That would probably be a pain but would help narrow down some of the issue as to whether it was an opto problem, or an opto board/board problem.

Yeah I'm trying to avoid that...

#1049 2 years ago

On my issue there was a wire sticking slightly up that may have been interfering with the optos for the drop post on the spinning disc. Hope that is it.
My friend said he resoldered the wires to his optos even no there was no issue with them and he never has had a problem in years.

#1050 2 years ago

This is more of a gameplay question, but I want to know how many owners have decent games/points without short plunging to Tortuga wheel all day long. Since everything stacks, and Tortuga has x2, x3 opprtunities with long ball save, is this the only strategy for POTC?

(and please don't tell me about your 'house rules' not to short plunge--that's just silly)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.50
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
4,000 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Glen Ellyn, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Machine - For Sale
Auburn, AL
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 2075 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 42.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside