Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 76.
#901 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Love the green on the ship! Was that just the gi and spotlight or did you have to add any more lights?

Original lighting afaik. You can see it on my picture just before. Cool. Many have changed it, but the original colors worked well in the overall presentation for sure.

#902 7 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Original lighting afaik. You can see it on my picture just before. Cool. Many have changed it, but the original colors worked well in the overall presentation for sure.

"Original lighting"? I just finished putting mine together and I didn't see any notes in the manual about the GI not being all white

#903 7 years ago

Maybe true. Mine has PF LED lighting upgrades done by the previous owner. I thought based on recent pics that it was all original colors. That may not be the case.

#904 7 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

POTC used all white incandescent GI for the entire game from the factory.

#905 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

POTC used all white incandescent GI for the entire game from the factory.

This. Of note, the compass lights and key lights on the backboard were red and green incadescents respectively.

#906 7 years ago
Quoted from Drew13:

Finished cleaning up and modding a potc I got from an awesome pinsider.

Looks excellent!

One question: the speaker grills (not the skull and swords acrylic, but the thin cover with lots of little holes); what's the best place to get that kind of speaker grill?

Thanks,

Michi.

#907 7 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

"Antique miniature brass/iron cannons". $8 for the set on eBay. I think they look OK.

Which Jack Sparrow figure do you have on the left?

#908 7 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Which Jack Sparrow figure do you have on the left?

Wish I could answer that for you. Prior owner had attached him, as well Bootstrap and Davy Jones

#909 7 years ago
Quoted from michi:

Looks excellent!
One question: the speaker grills (not the skull and swords acrylic, but the thin cover with lots of little holes); what's the best place to get that kind of speaker grill?
Thanks,
Michi.

Pinball life has them, but they're like $20ea, so mine are still empty. No way I'm paying that much for a sheet of spray painted mesh.

#910 7 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

Wish I could answer that for you. Prior owner had attached him, as well Bootstrap and Davy Jones

Looks like the Zizzle ones in 4" - check eBay on those, lots of variants available. For me those are to big, I like the 2" ones from sizzle, also on eBay.

#911 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Pinball life has them, but they're like $20ea, so mine are still empty. No way I'm paying that much for a sheet of spray painted mesh.

Thanks for that! I did some more searches and found this: http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=125

Much more reasonably priced.

Michi.

#912 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Looks like the Zizzle ones in 4" - check eBay on those, lots of variants available. For me those are to big, I like the 2" ones from sizzle, also on eBay.

Here's the full set.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#914 7 years ago

But personally I like these better, IMHO.

ebay.com link: Lot of 4 Packages of Disney Pirates of the Carribbean 2 Figures Zizzle 2006

Check post #323 for pictures

1 week later
#915 7 years ago

So, I've got the game running now, put maybe 100 plays on it. I disassembled and cleaned the ship mech while u was rebuilding the playfield. When I first played, the ship would rock side to side after enough hits, like it was on the waves, and now it rocks up really high, enough that i swear I could shoot a ball under. Anyone had this happen on theirs before I go taking the whole ship out to examine?

#916 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

So, I've got the game running now, put maybe 100 plays on it. I disassembled and cleaned the ship mech while u was rebuilding the playfield. When I first played, the ship would rock side to side after enough hits, like it was on the waves, and now it rocks up really high, enough that i swear I could shoot a ball under. Anyone had this happen on theirs before I go taking the whole ship out to examine?

Only supposed to happen on Davy Jones (final ship).

#917 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Check to make sure that when the ship is at rest, as if the machine had just been turned on, that the armature to the ship is against/near the set screw. See posts 572/577 of this thread for a pic. My guess is that the armature is a little too far forward at rest.

#918 7 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Check to make sure that when the ship is at rest, as if the machine had just been turned on, that the armature to the ship is against/near the set screw. See posts 572/577 of this thread for a pic. My guess is that the armature is a little too far forward at rest.

It's probably a bit more than a quarter inch away, but that's where the switch closes, so... I tried adjusting the switch, but I couldn't move it nearly enough to make it not close until the ship has almost reached the screw

#919 7 years ago

Installed a coffin with skeleton mod in my game. I mounted it in the center back and tied it to one of the flashers on the back board. can also be mounted on the plastic over the spinning disc. PM me if interested.

20170106_090834 (resized).jpg20170106_090834 (resized).jpg

20170106_090909 (resized).jpg20170106_090909 (resized).jpg

20170106_090846 (resized).jpg20170106_090846 (resized).jpg

metallica-pinball-illuminated-coffin-mod-1 (resized).JPGmetallica-pinball-illuminated-coffin-mod-1 (resized).JPG

#920 7 years ago

I like it better in Met

#921 7 years ago

Finally got my birthday present installed! This topper is absolutely amazing!

20161224_193015 (resized).jpg20161224_193015 (resized).jpg

20161224_192938 (resized).jpg20161224_192938 (resized).jpg

#922 7 years ago

Really enjoy this pin a lot. Next on list to get. You folks are lucky.

#923 7 years ago

Is there any way to tell if the clutch is going bad?

#924 7 years ago

Also finally got Jack the monkey installed! Really makes a difference!

20161224_192708 (resized).jpg20161224_192708 (resized).jpg

20161224_192655 (resized).jpg20161224_192655 (resized).jpg

20161224_193139 (resized).jpg20161224_193139 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#925 7 years ago

This might be a dumb question, but is there supposed to be a consistent action for how the ball goes into the parlay drain? Just setting up my machine and I've noticed that at different slopes it causes a change in how often the ball goes straight through the drain to other times where the ball will circle the drain (obviously a very tight circle, but it's not a clean drop into the hole). Wasn't sure if it's generally random or if the action of that drainage is slope-based and it's always supposed to go straight through.

#926 7 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Wasn't sure if it's generally random or if the action of that drainage is slope-based and it's always supposed to go straight through.

I see both straight down and circling, depending on the speed and trajectory of the ball.

Michi.

#927 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Installed a coffin with skeleton mod in my game. I mounted it in the center back and tied it to one of the flashers on the back board. can also be mounted on the plastic over the spinning disc. PM me if interested.

Would look great on MET or Scared Stiff, not sure it fits the look of POTC.

Quoted from Natay-Tay:

Also finally got Jack the monkey installed! Really makes a difference!

That is literally the most simple but coolest mod for POTC its just awesome having Jack sit on the ramp

#928 7 years ago

I'm in!

20170114_193746 (resized).jpg20170114_193746 (resized).jpg

#929 7 years ago

Nice lighting. Color DMD and you're all set.

#930 7 years ago

Nice! I like your other games also.

#931 7 years ago

I just installed @maffewl's airball protector.

Works a treat. No more airballs, period! Installs in five minutes, and doesn't destroy the optics of the machine. Pretty much disappears from sight. Highly recommended!

Michi.

#932 7 years ago

I currently have a broken opto on my machine, the one that is in the trunk entrance. No big deal, I can fix it. But it seems the the machine is playing just fine, even with this switch permanently registering as closed.

So, my question is, what does the software actually do with this particular switch state? Or, to put it differently, what will change in game play once I fix the switch?

Thanks,

Michi.

#933 7 years ago
Quoted from michi:

I currently have a broken opto on my machine, the one that is in the trunk entrance. No big deal, I can fix it. But it seems the the machine is playing just fine, even with this switch permanently registering as closed.
So, my question is, what does the software actually do with this particular switch state? Or, to put it differently, what will change in game play once I fix the switch?
Thanks,
Michi.

I've got the same problem right now. As far as I can tell, it'll react sooner when a ball goes in instead of waiting for it to settle in the back.

Before you've spelled KEY, the opto will give a letter even if you don't make the shot completely

#934 7 years ago

Love this game! I sold it and bought the same one back. I's not going anywhere this time.

IMG_0002 (resized).JPGIMG_0002 (resized).JPG

IMG_0003 (resized).JPGIMG_0003 (resized).JPG

#935 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've got the same problem right now. As far as I can tell, it'll react sooner when a ball goes in instead of waiting for it to settle in the back.
Before you've spelled KEY, the opto will give a letter even if you don't make the shot completely

Thanks for that! I'll try and confirm once I get the opto fixed.

Michi.

#936 7 years ago

I'm just curious, if any of you guys have *not* defeated Davy Jones.

I am not an expert player, but medium good. More lately I have gotten better but I don't play a lot of games. I have got every insert except DJ. Should I just practice sinking the ship and not shoot anything else.

I wonder what is the strategy like trap two balls on one flipper or what? Whenever I trap balls it always leads to grief as I spend too much time getting the balls under control I can't make the shots I need. So usually I just free wheel it with multi balls.

#937 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm just curious, if any of you guys have *not* defeated Davey Jones.
I am not an expert player, but medium good. More lately I have gotten better but I don't play a lot of games. I have got every insert except DJ. I wonder if I should just practice playing and not shoot anything except the ship.
I wonder what is the strategy like trap two balls on one flipper or what? Whenever I trap balls it always leads to grief as I spend too much time getting the balls under control I can't make the shots I need. So usually I just free wheel it with multi balls.

I'd consider myself a pretty good player but 200+ plays on mine and I still haven't even gotten to the fourth ship. (though I guess the broadside will help with that) I've tried just going straight for ships and I never get very far. I feel like it's a lot about just how your machine is set up, and especially the return from the ship. When it drops the ball mine goes into the right sling and out of control every time, but I've seen others where it drops it nicely to the left flipper and they can just backhand it again.

#938 7 years ago

My outlanes are set wide open. Only thing i cant complete is sinking all the ships. Its a dangerous shot, especially if you miss.

#939 7 years ago

I'm not a great player but did have one lucky game and defeated Davey Jones. I still had that damn monkey to finish so I didn't quite complete the the game. Never been close since.

#940 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'd consider myself a pretty good player but 200+ plays on mine and I still haven't even gotten to the fourth ship.

A good time to shoot at the ship is during a multi-ball ball saver. I reach Davy Jones quite regularly that way. (Finishing Davy Jones is a lot harder though.)

If your goal is to maximise points, the ships are mostly a waste of time. You will make more points just shooting Tortuga and the trunk over and over, and collecting jackpots.

If your goal is to complete the compass, try and stack a multi-ball with sinking the first ship, and use the multi-ball ball saver to finish off the kraken. For the second, third, and fourth ship, forget about the kraken and use each ship multi-ball to prime Tortuga and the trunk, but do not start them while the ship multi-ball is still running. I normally let one of the ship multi-balls drain once Tortuga and/or the trunk are ready, rather than accidentally starting them and not being able to make progress towards the next ship. (The ship won't come back up until the game is back in single-ball play.) Once the ship is back up, as soon as Tortuga or Heart multi-ball are running, it's back to bashing away at the ship again.

If you have Heart multi-ball ready, and Tortuga nearly ready, try and start Heart multi-ball. Bash away at the ship during ball-save time and for the next two balls. Once you are down to two balls in Heart multi-ball, try and start Tortuga multi-ball. Even if you don't manage to fully load up Tortuga, you'll get a new ball saver without losing Heart multi-ball. That helps with getting the Heart super jackpot. Once you are down to two balls on the stacked Heart/Tortuga multi-ball, try and and sink the ship, which then acts as an add-a-ball. Once you have all three multi-balls stacked, you are stuck in terms of multi-balls until you are back down to single-ball play. But you can still work on Jack during that time, kill the kraken, or try and keep loading Tortuga for the multipliers and big points. (Jack is easiest to complete during multi-ball ball save time because it's a risky shot.)

Typically, I end up with the compass lit except for Heart Super Jackpot and Davy Jones Defeated. If I can start Heart multi-ball during that time and don't have Tortuga almost ready, I bash away at the trunk and the ship, depending on opportunities (with priority on the trunk, because it's a lot of work to get back there again if I fail to get Heart Super jackpot).

Michi.

#941 7 years ago

I just looked through my game stats. In 1100 games, I started Four Winds 8 times, but have not reached Gauntlet so far. The best I've managed is to complete two of the four winds, and with the third one halfway complete before I drained.

The game doesn't record how many times you have battled Davy Jones or defeated Davy Jones (which is strange, seeing that this is a major feature with its own "Davy Jones Champion" on the DMD).

But it says that I completed Heart Super jackpot 200 times, and completed the East compass point 10 times, meaning that, in 10 tries of starting Four Winds, I managed to actually start it 8 times.

I know that I've started Davy Jones without completing it many times, but nowhere near as often as I completed Heart Super jackpot. I'd say I've battled Davy Jones maybe seventy or eighty times, with defeating him maybe one every four attempts.

The hardest part here is to get both Heart Super jackpot AND Davy Jones. Either one isn't too bad, but getting both in the same game is hard. And, after completing the compass, before you can start Four Winds, you have to drop back to single-ball play because Four Winds cannot be started during multi-ball play. (The shot to Liar's Dice is dangerous in single-ball play.)

Four Winds and Gauntlet are among the hardest wizard modes in all of pinball, I'd say. Not as bad as LOTR Valinor, but definitely up there.

Michi.

#942 7 years ago
Quoted from michi:

A good time to shoot at the ship is during a multi-ball ball saver. I reach Davy Jones quite regularly that way. (Finishing Davy Jones is a lot harder though.)
If your goal is to maximise points, the ships are mostly a waste of time. You will make more points just shooting Tortuga and the trunk over and over, and collecting jackpots.
If your goal is to complete the compass, try and stack a multi-ball with sinking the first ship, and use the multi-ball ball saver to finish off the kraken. For the second, third, and fourth ship, forget about the kraken and use each ship multi-ball to prime Tortuga and the trunk, but do not start them while the ship multi-ball is still running. I normally let one of the ship multi-balls drain once Tortuga and/or the trunk are ready, rather than accidentally starting them and not being able to make progress towards the next ship. (The ship won't come back up until the game is back in single-ball play.) Once the ship is back up, as soon as Tortuga or Heart multi-ball are running, it's back to bashing away at the ship again.
If you have Heart multi-ball ready, and Tortuga nearly ready, try and start Heart multi-ball. Bash away at the ship during ball-save time and for the next two balls. Once you are down to two balls in Heart multi-ball, try and start Tortuga multi-ball. Even if you don't manage to fully load up Tortuga, you'll get a new ball saver without losing Heart multi-ball. That helps with getting the Heart super jackpot. Once you are down to two balls on the stacked Heart/Tortuga multi-ball, try and and sink the ship, which then acts as an add-a-ball. Once you have all three multi-balls stacked, you are stuck in terms of multi-balls until you are back down to single-ball play. But you can still work on Jack during that time, kill the kraken, or try and keep loading Tortuga for the multipliers and big points. (Jack is easiest to complete during multi-ball ball save time because it's a risky shot.)
Typically, I end up with the compass lit except for Heart Super Jackpot and Davy Jones Defeated. If I can start Heart multi-ball during that time and don't have Tortuga almost ready, I bash away at the trunk and the ship, depending on opportunities (with priority on the trunk, because it's a lot of work to get back there again if I fail to get Heart Super jackpot).
Michi.

I usually start bashing the ship as soon as Tortuga starts, but with the way my spinner is (mean) and my 'no short plunge to Tortuga' house rule, I'm lucky to get three Tortugas in game. In heart I'm too busy trying to hit the chest enough for the super to shoot the ship.

#943 7 years ago

what exactly are the Heart and Tortuga MB rules?

#944 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Tortuga: playfield multiplier for each ball in the spinner. 10 pinball seconds per ball plunged to get it in the spinner at the start. That's about it.

Heart: Ball in chest lights all jackpots, and spots a letter in heart. Complete heart to light super. Haven't noticed anything else. It's basically the exact as the process to get to heart MB again, but with more balls

Wish there was an add-a-ball...

#945 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

and my 'no short plunge to Tortuga' house rule

LOL!

#946 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Good rule set can be found here: http://www.pinballnews.com/games/potc/index7.html

Michi.

#947 7 years ago

reading the rules now have one question

Collect crew is a Frenzy-type mode where all switches score to add crew members. You need to collect 100 hits to gather a full crew and complete the mode.

is this collect crew time limit and/or does it carry over to the next ball if you don't collect 100 hits on the current ball?

#948 7 years ago

All this discussion about the game made me obsess about it. Just played 10 straight games and remembered why I love it.

I still suck, though, but not nearly as much as Yzfguy.

#949 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

All this discussion about the game made me obsess about it. Just played 10 straight games and remembered why I love it.
I still suck, though, but not nearly as much as Yzfguy.

That's the best you've ever gotten me....As I was reading I was thinking of a way to mock you, and then.. BAM.

#950 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

reading the rules now have one question

is this collect crew time limit and/or does it carry over to the next ball if you don't collect 100 hits on the current ball?

It ends at 100 switch hits, 30 seconds, or ball drain

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 218.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.