Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 76.
#651 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Sure, I'll post it somewhere tonight and update this post with the link.

Sorry for the delay - heading to Canada for a few days but I haven't forgotten this. I added a little reverb to the beginning quote, made a huge difference.

#652 8 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Yeah swampfire she's starting to get to me as well. Will a Stern RevB or RevC shaker motor kit work in a POTC I don't see it on the game compatible list.

Do not know if that will work. I added a special shaker kit someone made. The shaker is the same, the control takes 12V and the signal from the flasher behind the kraken. In that way it works best. You can alter the time of shaking on the board, I played around with that setting before I got it right. To much and the shaker is going just on, as the signal is a flasher with fast on and off. Do not know if these are sold in the US?

#653 8 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Do not know if these are sold in the US?

I believe you have to use the shaker kit for STTNG…if I remember correctly.

#654 8 years ago

From what I have read, the Pinbits AFM kit is the one to use in POTC. However, Pinbits has been "sold out" of shaker kits for months.

#655 8 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

I believe you have to use the shaker kit for STTNG…if I remember correctly.

Thanks jwwhite15, pinbits is sold out currently but does anyone know if they're restocked regularly? I thought I remember reading in another thread that someone else was going to be making them soon.

#656 8 years ago

I talked to Pinbits 1 1/2 months ago and they said they would have more in 2 weeks. I talked to them a week ago and they said a week or 2. Somehow, I don't think they realize the demand out there for these.

#657 8 years ago

Thanks Starwriter I guess I'll keep monitoring their site.

#658 8 years ago

If you ever get one, here is the install instructions. Note that farther down the thread the concensus is that the AFM kit works better than the STTNG kit.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-install-shaker-motor-into-pirates-potc

#659 8 years ago

Thanks for the link, I'll send them an email letting them know people are patiently waiting.

#660 8 years ago

I received a response from Pam at pinbits letting me know that the shaker motors will be available next week.

#661 8 years ago

Thanks for the extra proding. Maybe this will be the final push that gets it done.

#662 8 years ago

Do anyone know what the clear thing is? One of the wires on mine broke off, is that going to affect something? Where do I get one at?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#663 8 years ago

The Black Pearl's made berth in my basement pub!
Maidenhead_(resized).jpgMaidenhead_(resized).jpg
Back_of_ship_(resized).jpgBack_of_ship_(resized).jpg
Cannons_light_up_(resized).jpgCannons_light_up_(resized).jpg
Slack_for_iOS_Upload_(resized).jpgSlack_for_iOS_Upload_(resized).jpg
My_crew_(resized).jpgMy_crew_(resized).jpg
Slack_for_iOS_Upload_(1)_(resized).jpgSlack_for_iOS_Upload_(1)_(resized).jpg
Not_for_kids_(resized).jpgNot_for_kids_(resized).jpg

#664 8 years ago

Here's what it looks like fully assembled, with rigging. It's 21" long. Too tall to be a topper in my basement, though.

There's not a lot of info about this series online. It was made by Hawthorne Village in 2006 and sold on http://www.bradfordexchange.com/ (they still have some POTC stuff if you search). I got mine on eBay (the ship and 2 sets of pirate figures). They're cast resin, really nicely done. I wish they were a tiny bit larger, but they look pretty good in the game.

13016899_1376215552404789_977579328_o_(resized).jpg13016899_1376215552404789_977579328_o_(resized).jpg

#665 8 years ago

Here's what's still available to buy in the series (ignore the baseball stuff):

http://www.bradfordexchange.com/search/pirates.html

You can also find this stuff on eBay by searching "hawthorne village pirates".

#666 8 years ago

IMG_5563_(resized).JPGIMG_5563_(resized).JPG

IMG_5564_(resized).JPGIMG_5564_(resized).JPG

#667 8 years ago

That looks great! Very detailed. Love the lighting. Do you think the figures will hold up to being hit by the occasional pinball?

#668 8 years ago

They're resin, so they'll break easily. I'm probably going to just put them in places where I never see airballs (e.g. top level). My wife also pointed out that you can't really see the guy on the pop bumper anyway.

#669 8 years ago

Pinbits has STTNG shaker kits in stock again. Will post back once I get mine installed. Looking forward to my Pirates coming to life even more. Plus I love shakers, have one in almost every game

#670 8 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Will post back once I get mine installed. Looking forward to my Pirates coming to life even more. Plus I love shakers, have one in almost every game

I am very interested in what you think about having a shaker in POTC. I thought about doing it some years ago but worry it won't fit the game play. Please share once you get the shaker installed and played a few games.

#671 8 years ago

Will do. I am a shaker junkie. The one modded into my Baywatch is nice but wish it could be a little more. Glad I put it in still. Every thing I have read has me very excited for my Pirates, I'm trying not to build it up to a level that can not be meet.

#672 8 years ago

What POTC software version works with this Pinbits shaker motor?

#673 8 years ago

The shaker ties into the ships flasher . I didn't see that you needed anything but the kit. There is a thread on adding it.

#674 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#675 8 years ago

The concensus is that the AFM kit works better in POTC than the STTNG kit. Something about the STTNG kit not shaking on subsequent hits after initially shaking or something. It's talked about farther down in that thread.

The STTNG kits were available for about 1 1/2 days. Now they're sold out again. That's the only kit they had available recently.

#676 8 years ago
Quoted from rdbronko73:

Do anyone know what the clear thing is? One of the wires on mine broke off, is that going to affect something? Where do I get one at?

That's a neon lamp. It's used to suppress electronic noise. When Radio Shack existed you could buy one there. It won't hurt the game to not have it, but you might get interference on your AM radio.

Search for "Neon Lamp A1A (NE-2)" if you want to find a replacement.

#677 8 years ago

Wow that was fast I spoke with Pam at pinbits 12:30 eastern and she had 3 STTNG left. She's waiting for the weights to come in for the other shaker kits. Possibly next week....

#678 8 years ago

Wow that was fast. The AFM kits don't ever seem to come up, so after a year when they came up I grabbed them. Should be great, but it might be better with the other. At least at this point I'll have something and if the other ever comes available I'll try it out.

#679 8 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

That's a neon lamp. It's used to suppress electronic noise. When Radio Shack existed you could buy one there. It won't hurt the game to not have it, but you might get interference on your AM radio.
Search for "Neon Lamp A1A (NE-2)" if you want to find a replacement.

Thank you so much. I'll will look for one.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#680 8 years ago

Does anyone know the difference between the AFM and STTNG shaker kits? Is it the PCB, or the actual motor?

#681 8 years ago

I'm thinking the pcb or wouldn't any shaker work? But I really don't know anything, trying to learn without a mentor to teach.

#682 8 years ago

Here are a few quotes from that install thread.

"The STTNG board is the wrong one, it works but there is a delay for the shields in the board."

"Brad put this (AFM kit) in his PotC and Martin told him this shaker board works better in Potc than the one for STTNG."

"From what I am understanding the delay in the STTNG board stops the shaker from shaking on follow up hits."

#683 8 years ago
Quoted from rdbronko73:

image_(resized).jpeg

I've seen those. Knew they are a neon lamp. Never really new what it was for. Apparently it is to suppress electronic kickback. (Voltage spike when the motor is turned off)

"A neon lamp serves the same basic function as an MOV, with slightly less precision and at lower voltages. In this case, when the voltage climbs high enough to light the lamp, the inductive energy dissipates through the element. When neon lamps are used for transient suppression, they are placed in the same location as the MOV in figure 1."

http://library.automationdirect.com/electrical-arcs-part-1-of-a-2-part-series-issue-18-2010/

#684 8 years ago

Thanks for answering him. I knew it was a neon lamp but didn't know what else to tell him. Thanks for the info.

#685 8 years ago

I've had my PotC for a few months now and I'm loving it. The flat clear plastic piece over the end of the rum ramp seems to be screaming for a mod. I have seen the small barrels on the sand pile. What else have ye fine mateys placed there?

#686 8 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

I've had my PotC for a few months now and I'm loving it. The flat clear plastic piece over the end of the rum ramp seems to be screaming for a mod. I have seen the small barrels on the sand pile. What else have ye fine mateys placed there?

I've seen it removed.

#687 8 years ago

The problem with putting anything on the flat plastic at the end of the rum ramp is that it will obstruct the view of the left outlane, making nudge saves more difficult.

#688 8 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

The problem with putting anything on the flat plastic at the end of the rum ramp is that it will obstruct the view of the left outlane, making nudge saves more difficult.

Agreed. Mine came with the barrels mod. Wish it hadn't. Can't see sh*t.

#689 8 years ago

Love the look with them on, but it does block your view. I have taken them off, and put them on again. They are on now.

2 weeks later
#690 7 years ago

Had a great game last night. Got the super duper skill shot for a quick 13M or whatever that's worth, and got almost to 4-winds. Wasn't overall high score but had a lot of good Multiball points.

#691 7 years ago

Thought I'd share my anti-air ball deflector creation. I just couldn't stand the sneeze guard, and didn't want modify any of the game's plastics. So I thought about it and then realized, "why not solve the root of the problem". So I decided to guard against an air ball where it is mainly caused, the green targets. This mod has been on for around a month with much play (including league), and I can say with certainty that there has not been a single air ball since, and virtually no chance of the ball getting behind the rum ramp. Hope y'all like it.

IMG_5509_(resized).JPGIMG_5509_(resized).JPG

IMG_5508_(resized).JPGIMG_5508_(resized).JPG

#692 7 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Thought I'd share my anti-air ball deflector creation. I just couldn't stand the sneeze guard, and didn't want modify any of the game's plastics. So I thought about it and then realized, "why not solve the root of the problem". So I decided to guard against an air ball where it is mainly caused, the green targets. This mod has been on for around a month with much play (including league), and I can say with certainty that there has not been a single air ball since, and virtually no chance of the ball getting behind the rum ramp. Hope y'all like it.

Great idea, I'm sorry I modified my plastic although it's not that noticible. But I like your solution.

#693 7 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Nice solution. Simple and elegant. Any chance you will sell these? If so I'll take one.

#694 7 years ago

+1 /\
I
I

I am sure I can cut one myself but I like your design and since you came up with it I would like to reasonably pay for you to share your idea.

#695 7 years ago

Yeah, that looks great. Although I'm not really that offended by the sneeze guard, I'd take one too if you made a batch.

#696 7 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Thought I'd share my anti-air ball deflector creation.

Wilee Coyo tee!, Super Genius!!!

#697 7 years ago
#698 7 years ago

I haven't seen any stuck balls yet on mine without the guard. I like this solution, though.

#699 7 years ago

Good solution, never had an air ball though...

#700 7 years ago

I had a ton of airballs off the green targets when I first got my POTC. All I needed to do was tighten down the target mounting brackets. They were lose allowing the target to lean back causing airballs on the bounce back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.