• I wish I were a Pirate 60 votes
    23%
  • I have no interest in Pirates 18 votes
    7%
  • I was a Pirate in the past but not at present. 32 votes
    12%

(266 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 531 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

d4c4e123a6199bebcad89fae14e76ef4bbbf5ac5.jpeg (resized).jpg
20190721_222629 (resized).jpg
3F8F6250-7F89-4BFC-A331-510B3BEBCE64 (resized).jpeg
34738051-E7E9-4852-9083-60C06C14A76B (resized).jpeg
3A49C455-B236-44DD-8621-2909E5A15B1A (resized).jpeg
BB2FA250-3C91-423A-BE8A-70DF8BF0E398 (resized).jpeg
AC6BF11A-07BF-4BAC-9117-13560AAB23D7 (resized).jpeg
07DF6233-59CE-49A9-83FC-AB23A4C0F118 (resized).jpeg
E64C0B43-F05B-4D8C-8829-E6364CDF81A6 (resized).jpeg
73EF1E69-1673-41D1-AD54-2B71680EDE71 (resized).jpeg
A99F4DE0-84AF-4232-B1E6-E87244EAD1A8 (resized).jpeg
piratepin (resized).jpg
potc (resized).jpeg
fa740f3760c1e7cc46aa9b6a659878ce9b3294e7.jpeg (resized).jpg
DSC_2701 (resized).JPG
DSC_2693 (resized).JPG

There are 2136 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 43.
#601 3 years ago

Taxman - you've taken the first step, you've admitted you have a problem. Me too! Is there a ColorDMD 12 Step Program? We can carpool to meetings.

#602 3 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

Taxman - you've taken the first step, you've admitted you have a problem. Me too! Is there a ColorDMD 12 Step Program? We can carpool to meetings.

I'm long past admitting I have a problem. Stage 4, I die with this.

I have a 1,250 sq' 3 bedroom ranch with 41 pins (22 setup) and I don't know how many arcade games and crates of parts. My collection of new playfields is worth more than most noob collections.

I went from problem to Alternate Lifestyle.

#603 3 years ago

I did the quick math - you sleep in your car don't you

#604 3 years ago

Show some pictures Taxman . Your home sounds like my dream.

#605 3 years ago

Here is a topper I made for my POTC.
I made a few extras if anyone is interested.

DSC_2616_(resized).JPG

DSC_2628_(resized).JPG

DSC_2631_(resized).JPG

#606 3 years ago

Lol, just a few! Looks cool.

#607 3 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

I did the quick math - you sleep in your car don't you

Well, the basement is not included in the square footage and there is a 2 car garage (game warehouse).

The spare bedroom has Pinball Magic, Austin Powers, AC/DC, POTC and one of the LOTR. So I call it the Stern room.

Quoted from Buzz:

Show some pictures Taxman . Your home sounds like my dream.

My website has pictures many years old. Heck, it calls SS the new girl and I have had her over 10 years.

Here, you'll get an idea from my random pics page - http://pinbald.com/7806.html

#608 3 years ago

Very cool. Thanks.

#609 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Here is a topper I made for my POTC.
I made a few extras if anyone is interested.

DSC_2616_(resized).JPGDSC_2628_(resized).JPGDSC_2631_(resized).JPG

How much so everyone knows. thx

#610 3 years ago

$90 plus shipping

#611 3 years ago

Does anyone else run into the problem of the ball getting stuck between the bottom pop bumper and the rubber to the left of it? I just rebuilt/restored my POTC and it did it twice during my test runs.

#612 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I just rebuilt/restored my POTC and it did it twice during my test runs.

I don't think that has ever happened...ever. are you missing a rubber? Is your table flat?

#613 3 years ago

All rubbers are correct and in place. I may have posted that prematurely. I think it had something to do with the slope of the floor in the garage (where I was rebuilding/restoring), since I've moved it into the house, no issue.

Curious, how many of you leave the spit shield on? I noticed while testing that there were a few air balls when it hits/glances a green target just right. I'm not worried about the ship so much as I am the curvy clear "Rum" ramp. Seems it could hit it pretty hard and the spit shield adds some stability to that ramp. I'd hate to crack it just because I didn't put the shield back on, but I just don't like the way it looks with it. As I haven't played it enough (just finished rebuilding/restoring a couple days ago), I was curious what those who've played a lot have to say.

#614 3 years ago

Most have removed the sneeze guard, I have left it on. I never notice it and would rather be safe than sorry.

#615 3 years ago

I took mine off. I don't think it is there for strength as much as preventing stuck balls in an around the ship from airballs.

If you take it off, it does create an area behind the rum ramp that can trap balls. They end up in the area just above the ship shot. I was "lucky" in that the plastic that covers the ship shot was cracked to I just cut out the plastic with a dremel. Now if the ball goes airborne and ends up behind the rum ramp it simply drops down into the ship shot lane!

#616 3 years ago

I got the sneeze guard off, never had an airball in all my plays.

#617 3 years ago

Sneeze guard looks like ass in my opinion. I look it off day one and never had an issue.

#618 3 years ago

how do you remove the sneeze guard? there are rivets on mine, no screws.

#619 3 years ago

20160406_130552_(resized).jpg After I read Swaggs post I removed the sneeze guard within a week. I dremeled out a scoop to allow the balls to drop back into play and it works perfectly. My only problem is that I've had a ball trapped 3 different times behind the ship while its in it's upright position after being sunk. The motor tries to lift the ship back up about the same amount of time as when the ship falls down on a ball in Davey Jones mode. It then puts the ship in an upright position again and the ball drops into the cabinet. I'm wondering if I'm putting undue stress on the motor in those 2 to 3 seconds the ship is trying to right itself with the ball stuck in between the playfield and ship. Not to mention how disheartening it is to end your game with a dropped ball in the cabinet. The last time it happened I was in Davey Jones mode and didn't have the heart to start another game.

#620 3 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

how do you remove the sneeze guard? there are rivets on mine, no screws.

If I remember correctly, the plastic is riveted to a bracket, which is attached to the ramp with a bit and bolt.

#621 3 years ago

I removed the guard, dremeled out the flat plastic area behind the ramp. Never had a ball stuck behind or around the ship area.

#622 3 years ago

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I will leave it on for now in a "more safe than sorry" approach and if it ends up driving me nuts (a likely possibility), I'll take it off and dremel the plastic as others have mentioned.

Quoted from Crispin:

I'm wondering if I'm putting undue stress on the motor in those 2 to 3 seconds the ship is trying to right itself with the ball stuck in between the playfield and ship.

I don't think you are damaging the motor. It sounds terrible when the motor is trying to move and can't but from my understanding, it's made to handle such situations and has a clutch. My machine was a routed one and the small "drop sails" coil had a broken wire so the sails would not drop when it was supposed to sink. I have a video showing it earlier in the thread. So the motor would try to bring the ship down, but the sails would stop it. When I was rebuilding, I had in the back of my mind that a new motor was going to be needed, but during the rebuild, it was in perfect shape. A simple cleaning with electrical parts cleaner from Autozone, and it was like brand new and functions perfect.

#623 3 years ago

Oh man, screw risking burning out the motor because you can see a little clear plastic. I'd curse myself if I did damage.

I know when it would happen. I would be in the game of a lifetime, hear that motor straining and hit the power switch. Or worse, non-pinhead would be playing and ask me why the game stopped and is it supposed to smoke like that.

#624 3 years ago

Ha... I should note that my ship works perfect now. New sails coil and the motor was perfect. I wouldn't suggest grinding the motor, just saying I don't think it's causing as much damage as it sounds.

Of note, you don't need to turn the game off to stop the motor, just open the coin door. So if you are in the game of a lifetime and the ball gets stuck... open the coin door, remove the glass, place the stuck ball in the shooter lane, put the glass back on, and shut the coin door. Keep playing said game of lifetime. No need to waste it.

#625 3 years ago

I never dremeled anything, and never once had a ball cause a problem. I can't really picture all this grinding and sticking

#626 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I never dremeled anything, and never once has a ball caused a problem. I can't really picture all this grinding and sticking

Ditto

#627 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I never dremeled anything, and never once had a ball cause a problem. I can't really picture all this grinding and sticking

I removed the plastic from the machine before I dremeled so everything wouldn't be covered by plastic dust. Without creating the hole for the ball you can't take off the sneeze guard.

Quoted from maffewl:

open the coin door, remove the glass, place the stuck ball in the shooter lane, put the glass back on, and shut the coin door. Keep playing said game of lifetime. No need to waste it.

All 3 times it happened it was on the last ball. I attempted to save all 3 games but by the time I opened the coin door and retrieved the ball the game would just end the ball totaling up my bonus? Is there an adjustment I can make so time doesn't run out?

Quoted from maffewl:

It sounds terrible when the motor is trying to move and can't but from my understanding, it's made to handle such situations and has a clutch.

That's what I was hoping since the same thing happens when the ball gets trapped during Davey Jones when the ship comes down on it.

#628 3 years ago

Just took a look at the manual and on page 18 it runs through the scenario of a lost ball in which ball search will start after 15 seconds of no switches closing. After ball search if no switch has been activated the display will read " Locating pinballs please wait" after which another ball search is run until a timer runs out. (This feature will not happen if the game is in competition mode; ball search will continue until the ball is found, unstuck or replaced manually.) The display will momentarily acknowledge the missing pinball(s). The game will provide another pinball into play and will compensate for the lost pinball. Game play will appear normal.

Note: This detection and compensation will happen with every pinball' if each suffers the same fate of a ball trap. If all balls get trapped the game cannot be played or started until the situation is rectified.

Looking at page 31 in the manual you can find the competition mode adjustment #52 and right above it #51Coin door ball saver. This allows you to open the coin door during game play. The ball will drain but the game will be placed "on hold." When the coin door is closed the pinball will return to the shooter lane and the game will resume.

#629 3 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

If all balls get trapped the game cannot be played or started until the situation is rectified.

LMAO, good info to know.

#630 3 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

I removed the plastic from the machine before I dremeled so everything wouldn't be covered by plastic dust. Without creating the hole for the ball you can't take off the sneeze guard.

Not trying to be argumentative, but that is clearly not the case. Mine has been off for years without issue and I still don't know what you are talking about.

#631 3 years ago

Np yzfguy, maybe our pins are slightly different. With my pin I found that if I didn't grind out that scoop above the ship shot and the ball made it over the rum ramp it would get caught up by the left spotlight pointing on the ship. There wasn't enough gap in between the rum ramp and the plastic it was sitting on to allow the ball to fall back into play. The ground out scoop addresses the trapped ball behind the rum ramp but you can still get your ball caught in between the ship and playfield. You are very lucky if you have had your guard off for years and never had a trapped ball fall in between the upended ship and the playfield?

#632 3 years ago

Never once, I wouldn't even think it could happen if you weren't saying it does. We have played a ton of games, it's not like it sits unplayed.

#633 3 years ago

I will vouch for the ball getting stuck crew because I've only had mine for maybe 30 games and it's hit the shield twice and fell into the rum ramp.

Also, had the super duper skill shot twice in one game.

#634 3 years ago

This is a picture of the ramp above the shot to the ship. The Spotlight on the ship.

A ball hitting the pirate standup targets can get air land past the ramp. There is a flat piece of plastic that is behind the ramp. The ball can get stuck here next to the spotlight. I needed to dremel a hole to let the ball drop to the PF. You can see where the Dremel got away and scuffed up the plastic somewhat.

image_(resized).jpeg

#635 3 years ago

In the 18 months and 100s of plays on mine, I never had a ball make it behind the ship when it was down. In fact, it rarely jumps behind the rum ramp.

There is a clutch on the ship that should be slipping when the ship gets jammed. Worst case, you are wearing the clutch out slightly faster than normal.

#636 3 years ago

I checked the green pirate targets to see if the foam was worn down causing more airballs but all the foams are fine. The sides of the pirate targets are worn though, might possibly be causing balls to ricochet off of the target.

#637 3 years ago

This WONDERFUL Pinball machine is the longest standing machine in my house and the day after I brought it home I started tearing it down. When I did all my little personal touches and started putting it back together I put the sneeze guard in the cab and under the playfield and that is where it still sits. Now, I will say that I have had probably 6-8 air balls most of which land back on the rum ramp. At the beginning I had a couple that landed and stayed on the deck of ship. I adjusted the pirate target just a small amount and have not had lost ball since. I think the choice could go either way (and it's definitely not bickering over) and either way is fine. My personal opinion is the machine looks nicer without the sneeze guard so I leave it off.

#638 3 years ago

I'm sure this has been discussed at some point in the thread, but curious what everyone's points strategy is? I've seen the PAPA Qualifying video and it seems the Tortuga Multiball is the way to go. I'm heading to a tournament tomorrow, and PotC is in it, and would like to practice some things tonight. What are the steps you take if you are looking for big points?

#639 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I'm sure this has been discussed at some point in the thread, but curious what everyone's points strategy is? I've seen the PAPA Qualifying video and it seems the Tortuga Multiball is the way to go. I'm heading to a tournament tomorrow, and PotC is in it, and would like to practice some things tonight. What are the steps you take if you are looking for big points?

Are you coming to my tournament in Duluth, GA?

A lot of foreplay is required to have a great grind on POTC. Go ahead and get Tortuga ready for MB - this also lights Port Royal on the compass. Hit all your standups to light Pirates, which also starts "Max Jackpot" (compass South) flashing. Next, spell KEY, and shoot the chest twice to light the jackpots. You're almost ready...now sink the ship, and:

Short plunge the balls as soon as they come out, and send them up to Tortuga. Repeat until you have 3 balls in Tortuga. NOW, hit the center shot (to the right of the ship) to light "Max Jackpot" solidly. This makes jackpots worth 2M. Shoot the chest to relight jackpots, because they go out as you collect them. When you're back down to 1 ball, don't shoot anything but the chest! You want to start Heart Multiball while you still have 2M jackpots. During Heart MB, shoot the normal jackpot shots and Tortuga. Now when you're back to 1 ball again, your goal is to start Tortuga MB.

[Edited after some more game play tonight]

#640 3 years ago

Ha... nice summary swampfire!

And yep, that's the one. Me and another guy will be heading there on Saturday. I said tomorrow (but then realized that today sadly isn't Friday). Didn't know it was your tournament, excited to meet you and thanks for hosting!

Also, am I correct that your PotC used to be Visi0n's (from Mobile)? If so, I may need to call him and see if I can get any machine specific pointers.

#641 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Ha... nice summary swampfire!
And yep, that's the one. Me and another guy will be heading there on Saturday. I said tomorrow (but then realized that today sadly isn't Friday). Didn't know it was your tournament, excited to meet you and thanks for hosting!
Also, am I correct that your PotC used to be Visi0n's (from Mobile)? If so, I may need to call him and see if I can get any machine specific pointers.

Yes, and a great seller he was! I will say, the exit from the chest is dangerous. If you don't nudge at all, the ball will bounce off that purty Titan slingshot ring and gracefully arc over to a spot right between the flippers. It doesn't take much to prevent that from happening, just nudge when it hits the sling and get ready to slap-save.

#642 3 years ago

swampfire, thanks for the strategy. I'm working to learn it, but goodness, in the middle of a game, it's hard to remember what to do next. I'm getting around 40-50M, but that doesn't feel like it's going to cut it.

#643 3 years ago

The short version of the strategy is:

1. Get Tortuga ready (but don't start it)
2. Light jackpots and get max jackpots at the "Liar's Dice" scoop
3. Start Tortuga multiball
4. Keep a ball in play and try to start another multiball

If you can throw in a Kraken attack and keep relighting jackpots, you're golden. 40-50M is pretty good.

#644 3 years ago

You guys, I just found the most awesome audio Easter Egg in POTC. They modified the lyrics:

ORIGINAL (from the ride): "We extort, we pillage, we belch in fact ​drink up​ me hearties yo ho"
GAME: "We extort, we pillage, we belch, in fact we fart​ me hearties yo ho"

I had to listen to it several times in Pinball Browser before I believed my ears (script 0xE9, if you're curious). Awesome.

#645 3 years ago

Just got POTC yesterday. What a great game.

image_(resized).jpeg

#646 3 years ago

Fans of the original Disney ride (pre-movie) may enjoy this behind-the scenes look:

http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2010/9/23/pirates-of-the-caribbean-like-youve-never-seen-it.html

#647 3 years ago

I bought the soundtrack to the original ride on iTunes, and went a little crazy yesterday with Pinball Browser. Here's the link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/pirates-caribbean-original/id587238512

The game's music is so good, I didn't really want to change any of that. So I ended up making just a few changes:

1. Replaced the 6 seconds of the girl singing "Yo Ho, Yo Ho" at the beginning, with the talking skull at the beginning of the ride saying "Dead Men Tell No Tales! <laugh>". The girl singing was getting on my nerves.
2. Replaced the stock tilt sound with the ghost pirate saying "Dead Men Tell No Tales!"
3. Replaced the end music with the deep-voiced pirate singing the theme song (but edited in the end sounds, which are cool)
4. Replaced a few of the outlane drain callouts, just for variety.

I also made notes on some of the sound scripts:

18: Spooky sound (3.83s)
1F: Explosions (4.86s)
36: Music for Hit Davy Jones (5.2s)
63 : Cannon (1.47s)
8A-8C: Explosions (2.9s, 3.8s, 2.4s)
8E-8F: Incoming cannonball (1.58, 1.64)
91: kaBOOM (3.7)
AD: Wowowowowow - weird (3.1)
C4: Deep slow rise (2.9)
E1: Music for suspense (37.1)
E3: Tiki Heartbeat (16.1)
E8: Music, calypso (20.1)
E9: Music, Yo Ho Jackpot (24.24)
EB: Music, Flamenco guitar (33.5)
EE: Music, Match sequence (5.4)
EF: End of match sequence (11.3)
F0: Music, cool tiki sounds (12.6)
F5: Music, game over (29.74)
F6: Music, tiki jungle tribe (19.2)
F8: Music, tiki jungle tribe (18.13)
F9: Music, tiki jungle tribe (22.16)
FA: Music, tiki monkey hurry-up (22.15)
1AF - Time for spirits and wenches, Har Har (2.4)
243 - Jack Sparrow - The only thing rougher than the seas is women (2.52)
255 - Jack Sparrow - Uh oh, we’re listing! (1.63)
264 - Jack Sparrow - You need more hands (1.43)
266 - Jack Sparrow - You're as frail as stained glass (2.3)
267 - Jack Sparrow - You’re going to capsize us (1.55)
268 - Jack Sparrow - You shouldn't try to outpirate a pirate, mate (2.88)
14E-1CB: Gravel-throated pirate (sounds like Steve Ritchie???)
1CC-268: Jack Sparrow

I've got to find a place for "Time for spirits and wenches, Har Har". Best line in the whole ROM.

#648 3 years ago

Any way to share this work with the community?

#649 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Any way to share this work with the community?

Sure, I'll post it somewhere tonight and update this post with the link.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the newer versions of Pinball Browser don't support exporting sounds? I'm glad I kept version 4.04 as a backup.

#650 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The girl singing was getting on my nerves.

Yeah swampfire she's starting to get to me as well. Will a Stern RevB or RevC shaker motor kit work in a POTC I don't see it on the game compatible list.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
5,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
There are 2136 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 43.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside