Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 76.
#551 8 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I like the missing chest mod

Didn't notice that in the pic ..like I said better in person

#552 8 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I like the missing chest mod

Actually, the POTC at TPF wasn't mine (mine is the one pictured above).
Mine 'was' missing the chest until I got to TPF and picked up my repainted one from Back Alley Creations.
It looks super - Matt does awesome work on all his mods!

IMG_1058_(resized).JPGIMG_1058_(resized).JPG

IMG_1057_(resized).JPGIMG_1057_(resized).JPG

#553 8 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

Actually, the POTC at TPF wasn't mine (mine is the one pictured above).
Mine 'was' missing the chest until I got to TPF and picked up my repainted one from Back Alley Creations.
It looks super - Matt does awesome work on all his mods!

Ahhhh my fault based on the post I assumed it was the same machine, very similar mods at a glance.

#554 8 years ago

I wonder how many of you have experimented with star posts? I tried them on mine but had to revert. They look nicer, but the top one makes the skill shot impossible. A lot less treasure gathered too.

#555 8 years ago

I got the posts under the bumpers replaced by yellow star post from bally/Williams. They look so much better, but that is all I did.

#556 8 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I got the posts under the bumpers replaced by yellow star post from bally/Williams. They look so much better, but that is all I did.

Peter I think that's a great idea now that I'm looking at mine. Does anyone know if the black sling plastics from the start of this thread are available anywhere?
https://images.pinside.com/4/98/498903fa0a6784bb72090a14fd56efe2d750f38a/resized/large/498903fa0a6784bb72090a14fd56efe2d750f38a.jpg

#557 8 years ago

Actually my point was that it's a bad idea. It changes the shot geometry too much.

#558 8 years ago

ColorDMD posted the POTC ROM.
Summon the full-color Kraken to your machine !

#559 8 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

Awesome!

#560 8 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

Make it so.

I think PotC has some of the best dots especially the fire at the match sequence, heck that looks awesome in orange but *really* great in color.

This is Scan mode I believe image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#561 8 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Peter I think that's a great idea now that I'm looking at mine. Does anyone know if the black sling plastics from the start of this thread are available anywhere?
https://images.pinside.com/4/98/498903fa0a6784bb72090a14fd56efe2d750f38a/resized/large/498903fa0a6784bb72090a14fd56efe2d750f38a.jpg

Check post 323 for pictures of the posts

#562 8 years ago

The flames of the match sequence did turn out well. I also like the screens when the Kraken reaches out and slides REPLAY or SPECIAL back into the frame

Certain screens are best in the HiRes (smoothing) mode - like the Bonus Waves
Others are best (in my opinion) in DotsXL.
For the screens with fine detail - you lose the detail with smoothing.

It's all personal opinion - enjoy your 'new' Pirates machine

#563 8 years ago

I like scan on most games, but I think I agree that dotsxl shows off the small detail in the characters best.

#564 8 years ago

I've yet to have a decent ball. I keep trying to pay closer attention to the DMD!

Gonna try scan mode for a while I think. Awesome!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#565 8 years ago

Finally added the Pearl speaker panel from Back Alley Creations that I picked up from Matt's booth at TPF last weekend. Looks sweet.

ColorDMD to add at some point.

POTC_(resized).pngPOTC_(resized).png

speaker_panel_2_(resized).pngspeaker_panel_2_(resized).png

#566 8 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm working on led'ing my machine. Can anyone tell me when the light that is attached to the back of the Kraken comes on? Is it during the battle the Kraken mode or...? Thanks for any help!

#567 8 years ago

I think it's only when you're fighting the Kraken (or in test modes, of course).

#568 8 years ago

Just joined the club! I'm very fortunate to have found a perfect unmolested example. It looks like it just came out of the box! I think it looks great with incandescents but I will probably end up going with LEDs that don't change the art. Can someone with LEDs in the inserts speak to how they look? Does it need the LED OCD treatment?

#569 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Does it need the LED OCD treatment?

Nice clean machine - it's begging for a brand new ColorDMD

CowEasterEgg_(resized).pngCowEasterEgg_(resized).png

#570 8 years ago

Congratulations. I really enjoy the machine. Hope you do as well

#571 8 years ago

I'm really picky about LEDs, but they seem to be fine in the inserts in mine, without LEDOCD. The seller put them in so I'm not sure, but I assume they're non-ghosting.

My rule of thumb in the GI was to use incandescent anywhere I could see any part of the bulb, and Cointaker premium frosted warm white LEDs for the areas that are completely covered. It worked pretty well IMO.

#572 8 years ago

Is the ship supposed to sit up at a slight angle when at rest. I'm rebuilding mine and if I push it down (as if sunk) then bring it back up, it doesn't go all the way back to the stop screw. It has a certain "springy-ness" that will allow it to be pushed back to the screw but will not go back there to rest.

Here's a video...

Thanks for any help!

#573 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Just joined the club! I'm very fortunate to have found a perfect unmolested example. It looks like it just came out of the box! I think it looks great with incandescents but I will probably end up going with LEDs that don't change the art. Can someone with LEDs in the inserts speak to how they look? Does it need the LED OCD treatment?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Beautiful machine, I did mine in led but only the GI. I did not do the playfield and the backboard, I like the old school like, goes with the theme. I never did something with OCD but it should be great. I think just with led it seems very 'nervous',again the incandescent lights are nice with the pirate theme.

#574 8 years ago

Has anyone found a way to diffuse the 4 small red LEDs inside the dead man's chest? It loses the effect for me when I can see the individual LEDs flashing inside the heart.

#575 8 years ago

Yup...paint the underside of that plastic with white paint.
Looks great.

#576 8 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on Post 572? Thanks!

#577 8 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Anyone have any thoughts on Post 572? Thanks!

Mine does not rest tight against that screw (1/4" ?) not as far back as yours and doesn't seem to have that "springiness" not sure what to suggest, sorry
image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#578 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Has anyone found a way to diffuse the 4 small red LEDs inside the dead man's chest? It loses the effect for me when I can see the individual LEDs flashing inside the heart.

image_(resized).jpeg

I cut a piece of red velum and put it between the board with the LEDs and the plastic. The velum is translucent and totally obscures the LEDs under the treasure.

#579 8 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

Mine does not rest tight against that screw (1/4" ?) not as far back as yours and doesn't seem to have that "springiness" not sure what to suggest, sorry
image_(resized).jpg

Thanks for the comment and pic pinworthy. It feels like it's the resistance of the plates sandwiched together in the clutch. I'm hoping when I get everything back assembled the motor will take over and set it correctly. I think I will start it in the "ship sunk" position so it has to reset.

#580 8 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Thanks for the comment and pic pinworthy. It feels like it's the resistance of the plates sandwiched together in the clutch. I'm hoping when I get everything back assembled the motor will take over and set it correctly. I think I will start it in the "ship sunk" position so it has to reset.

I think that would be my plan as well, good luck

#581 8 years ago

Had an epic game yesterday just before going over to my sister in laws for Easter Dinner. I was the 1st to shower and get ready figuring I'll have enough time to get a couple of games in. Well next thing you know the whole family is dressed and downstairs complaining that I'm making all of us late. The pirate in me couldn't have cared less! Made it halfway through 4 Winds multiball. This freaking game is just awesome!
20160327_144227_(resized).jpg20160327_144227_(resized).jpg

#582 8 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Had an epic game yesterday just before going over to my sister in laws for Easter Dinner. I was the 1st to shower and get ready figuring I'll have enough time to get a couple of games in. Well next thing you know the whole family is dressed and downstairs complaining that I'm making all of us late. The pirate in me couldn't have cared less! Made it halfway through 4 Winds multiball. This freaking game is just awesome!
20160327_144227_(resized).jpg

Wow! I stopped by a friends to drop something off and he said to try his POTC before I left. Not to your level, but I was having a good game with 60 million on my first ball. I was having a lot of fun also. Of course his wife then called up and said Easter dinner was ready for them, so I could not continue. POTC is definitely my favorite stop and go game and a great break from the fast and flowing pins that are out there. I knew one local who had one and then 3 other local friends I know picked one up fairly recently.

You owners are lucky. POTC is a gem. I will have one someday.

#583 8 years ago

I wonder if POTC is the only game that's scored in 3/4 time. Everything else in my collection is in 4/4 time, mostly rock. Just another thing that makes POTC unique.

#584 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I wonder if POTC is the only game that's scored in 3/4 time. Everything else in my collection is in 4/4 time, mostly rock. Just another thing that makes POTC unique.

What does this mean?

#585 8 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

What does this mean?

It means he's one of those people who pays attention to the musical score on a pinball machine. My brother does that also. Things we would never think to notice.

#586 8 years ago

The rhythm of the music is 1-2-3, 1-2-3,...instead of 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4

#587 8 years ago

Ha.. yeah, never would've noticed that. I was thinking it meant certain modes score 75% of the time. I was like, this does not sound like a good quality.

#588 8 years ago

Ha, sorry. Yes, talking about the music. Sea shanties.

#589 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The rhythm of the music is 1-2-3, 1-2-3,...instead of 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4

Never noticed, but you're right! And playing pinball is a bit of a dance after all, yes?

#590 8 years ago

I think POTC's main theme is in 6/8 time.

TOTAN's main theme is a 7/8 drum rhythm.

#591 8 years ago

I installed the CDMD tonight, looks fantastic in Scan mode. GREAT work MadMaxDad!

#592 8 years ago

Just ordered my colorDMD. I didn't see where the rom was available yet, on the shop page it says "coming soon" ???

#593 8 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

Just ordered my colorDMD. I didn't see where the rom was available yet, on the shop page it says "coming soon" ???

Our website updates are lagging but the color ROM is available for download on the firmware support page.

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

#594 8 years ago

Wow an immediate reply directly from the source! That is what I call customer service! I will be checking my mailbox everyday like a kid who just ordered Sea Monkeys!

#595 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I installed the CDMD tonight, looks fantastic in Scan mode. GREAT work MadMaxDad!

Thanks ! Glad you're enjoying it

#596 8 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

Wow an immediate reply directly from the source! That is what I call customer service! I will be checking my mailbox everyday like a kid who just ordered Sea Monkeys!

Me too matey. Mine says Friday delivery, which I was hoping meant today. I am now hoping it means Thursday.

#597 8 years ago

I had it on dots XL for a week, but have settled in with scan now. I love it and have been playing POTC a lot again, so whole new experience.

#598 8 years ago

Scan mode is my favorite too. I've managed to sneak 4 ColorDMDs into the house for MET, LOTR, POTC and JM. I need one more for IM and I'll be done (until Congo gets done). It's funny that I was once a skeptic. Now I'm an addict.

#599 8 years ago

I've got 7 Color DMDs now all but STLE

I'm getting close to the price of a new pin

#600 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I've got 7 Color DMDs now all but STLE
I'm getting close to the price of a new pin

I've got you doubled, and I need more. I borrowed the one from AC/DC to try POTC. As soon as you see them in color you can't go back.

And if the coloring continues at this rate I'll need JY, BSD, T2, AP, PM, DH, WCS, TFTC, SST, ... Oh man.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.