Pinside_forum_7639144_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0539 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0555 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 76.
#1 9 years ago

I had not seen a club for us pirates, so, I wanted to start a 'crew' of us owners to chime in on PotC. Or anyone, you don't have to be an owner just an admirer or whatnot.

So lets hear your tales as it were. What is you likes or dis-likes of the game? What are your settings, what are your mods? How did you come to admire or own Pirates?

What is your high scores, tips or strategies?

What are you hard luck (just missed it by one shot stories) or your epic battles?

What are your favorite quotes? What is your favorite shots?

etc..

#2 9 years ago

Here is a couple pics of my mostly stock PotC. I have added custom rule cards and a few LEDs for GI and flashers and removed my sneeze guard and added the cool stand-up target stickers http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1861.

Other than that it's stock and looks like new. I bought it new around 8 years ago and it's been like a charm. I have not had one issue with it except a couple of burned out lights and I have changed the rubber one time.

image-753.jpgimage-753.jpgimage-836.jpgimage-836.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Big Disney fan here. POTC, Tron LE, The Avengers LE all sitting next to each other. I need to mod POTC out a little just never have time anymore.
I have had two air balls hit the sneeze guard so I have left it on mine.

#4 9 years ago

Bump.

I'd say my favorite thing about the game has to be the Ship/Kraken shots (good thing as you need to hit them enough times) I also like Jack the monkey ramp.

#5 9 years ago

Im a newbie to the club too, having just bought my PoTC a couple weeks back. Loving it, as I expected. It has always been one of my favorites to find on location. Question for the others, I want to make sure I didn't reassemble something incorrectly - your jackpot shot to the right of the Chest, is it a somewhat tight fit? I've found a lot of shots rattle a bit in there, and never make it all the way through. I'll try and take some video of it. I also thing I have something loose, but not sure. to the right of the pops, when a ball fires off that way and hits the flat rail it has a very different almost hollow or loose sound, can't really put a finger on it, and was wondering if thats normal. Video to come soon....or someday. Which ever comes later I think.

Thanks for starting the club!

#6 9 years ago

Get ya some boney flipper bats at Pinball Life!

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2906

IMG_00000551_1.jpgIMG_00000551_1.jpg

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Get ya some boney flipper bats at Pinball Life!
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2906

IMG_00000551_1.jpg 167 KB

Do they fit ok? I like those.

#8 9 years ago

Yes sir....no issues installing them at all. I would recommend a different color flipper rubber. The wife wanted red....so that's what the game had, but I think black would fit better.

#9 9 years ago

I wish Disney would have allowed real actor voices, or some real call-outs from the movies.

#10 9 years ago

One of my favorite Stern titles. I've had mine now for about 2 years. I have to say it's been the most trouble free pin in the collection.

#11 9 years ago

1412802146075.jpg1412802146075.jpg1412802114458.jpg1412802114458.jpg1412802068314.jpg1412802068314.jpgGot mine a few years back as a display game when sharper image went out of business.IMG_20130415_212947_431.jpgIMG_20130415_212947_431.jpgIMG_20130415_213423_853.jpgIMG_20130415_213423_853.jpgIMG_20130415_211049_609.jpgIMG_20130415_211049_609.jpg2012-11-17_12-30-52_910.jpg2012-11-17_12-30-52_910.jpg

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I wish Disney would have allowed real actor voices, or some real call-outs from the movies.

I agree with movie call outs, but I like the voice actors (and if they had used both it would not have sounded good if they were different voices). I think, having a good imitation actor is better than having the real actor but not having good call outs (like on ST where the call outs are not funny or not really convincing even though it was the real actor, it just seems like he phoned it in).

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

One of my favorite Stern titles. I've had mine now for about 2 years. I have to say it's been the most trouble free pin in the collection.

It's my most trouble free pin also (except for the brand new IM and ST which are just as trouble free but also less than a year old).

I know some people might put down this pin, but I think it's very nice and Stern put a lot of effort into it.

My Father-in-law was playing my pins I was showing him IM, AcDc, Tron, ST (etc..) and he had a hard time keeping up. He's 75 years old. But on PotC he was able to see the ball and hit the shots, I think it's an excellent pin for novice older or younger players.

#14 9 years ago

I'm interested in hearing high scores, or if someone ever made it to the end. Sadly my machine I had set on 5 balls for the longest time and still never lit all the compass lights during one game.

Double sadly, I had a guy who was working on my older pins and he was at my house for several days, a couple of times he brought his wife and she managed to top all my scores she's the grand champion on my pin.

Arggggg

Half my problem, is I have so many 'new' games that PotC gets neglected. I was thinking to sell it, but couldn't bring myself to. Glad I made room because I love each and every one of my pins.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

- your jackpot shot to the right of the Chest, is it a somewhat tight fit? I've found a lot of shots rattle a bit in there, and never make it all the way through. I'll try and take some video of it.

I just played a few, the right loop shot is tight, some will rattle around but half will go all the way up circle back and out the same side. You have to hit it in the middle or else it will bounce around especially if it's too far to the right.

Thanks for starting the club!

Do you know bout the super skill shot. Soft plunge to the right flipper and shoot the far left (behind the target) loop for a quick 3M points then the right for 10M super duper skill shot.

I've never hit the super duper skill shot.

Here is the dmd shot of the super duper skill shot. Hit both the left treasure lane for three million then immediately the right treasure lane for super duper 10 million.

#16 9 years ago

Another thank you for starting the club. Mine has been trouble free except for a broken connection on the ship optic switch. I removed the sneeze guard and have had no problems. Minor mods and super bands (which I recommend on this game). No, I haven't completed it yet - Heart Multi or Jack have been my nemesis to date. IMHO, if this was a current release, it would be a premium/LE model!

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from unionrunner:

I removed the sneeze guard and have had no problems.

I never had a stuck ball until I removed the sneeze guard and had two in a row somehow the ball jumps up and got stuck at the ship spotlight on top of and behind the ramp.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Quoted from unionrunner:

I haven't completed it yet - Heart Multi or Jack have been my nemesis to date.

Same with me, I need to work on the right side shots like Heart and Jack, I have found its possible to backhand Jack ramp. Maybe since I'm right handed I don't do as well with the left flipper.

I wish Stern would re-run this as a VE I think it would be a great seller and it does great on route.

#18 9 years ago

I concentrated on the skill shot for a week and legitimately made the super skill shot twice
AND .... F the sneeze guard..it was out 10 minutes after the game moved in!

#19 9 years ago

Ive made the skill shot once.....on accident

#20 9 years ago

Just made a deal on one today. Can't wait to get it. Please let me know the necessary mods! It will have the back alley creations, upgraded flip fid sound, the back box led light kit, speaker lights, and the speaker acrylics. What else? How do you guys get that nice glow around the ship ? What LEDs are you using.

#21 9 years ago

you NEED the cannon mod (red leds shooting when ship is hit) and if you can get ahold of a mckee topper, it looks awesome!

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

I have to say it's been the most trouble free pin in the collection.

I hope you knocked on wood after posting that. While it is a reliable title, it has a hell of a lot of parts and some of them (motors) are very expensive. I have one on location that's been relatively trouble free (knock on wood! d.

Quoted from rai:

Same with me, I need to work on the right side shots like Heart and Jack, I have found its possible to backhand Jack ramp. Maybe since I'm right handed I don't do as well with the left flipper.
I wish Stern would re-run this as a VE I think it would be a great seller and it does great on route.

For the Jack ramp, make three shots, then wait until you start a MB to make the final two shots. When you make the 4th shot, it starts a hurryup on the last shot. The hurryup shot timer is way longer when you're in MB. For Heart, learn to control the kickout from the chest and keep shooting the chest. It's actually an easier shot with a backhand.

We got a bunch on location here in the bay area when the game was new. So I tried most all of them and went back and played the easier ones. I've been to Gauntlet a few times and once got to 4 winds twice in a game. Finished it the second time thru and made it to Gauntlet. That game lasted about an hour (collected all 5 factory EB's). I've scored over 1B points a couple of times. That too takes about an hour long game.

As I mantioned in another thread, my typical strat is to progress using Totuga and Heart MB. I always short plunge and shoot the Tortuga ramp. Skill shots are too hard to do consistently for me. A friend who is a much better player than me pointed out that my upper playfield makes it easier to start the broadside shortcut than most Pirate's (leans slightly more to the right), but I don't do it. For those not familiar with broadside, part 2 of pinball news' POTC review explains it.

#23 9 years ago

My gosh you played for an hour? I can't come close to that my highest game is less than 200million

I need to practice some more that's for sure.

#24 9 years ago

I own a POTC, I got to Four Winds Multi Ball once ! Lots of my guests that come over my house seem to LOVE this game, and I'm no different. I think it should be in the top 30, certainly a sleeper title. I'm sure this will be a VE when the new DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES is released. They need to bring back Orlando Bloom though.

#25 9 years ago

I am not an owner, but a big fan. There is a very nice one on location near me that I play at least once a week. Very fun game especially figuring out the best way to stack modes to get higher scores.

#26 9 years ago

I have owned one for a little over a year now and I love it. I have some custom sling plastics and I vinyl wrapped the legs, side rails and lock bar. Also I have the first rock customs under cab led kit. I will post pics tonight. Thanks for starting the thread.

#27 9 years ago

I just have been playing the game more since this is my first 'club' thread that I started. Figured I should dig deeper into the game. I have had the game around for like 7-8 years but never really learned the game I was just hitting the ball around and sinking the ship for the most part.

So, today I was working on the left mini orbit (treasure shot) the one used for the skill shot, and two times in consecutive games, I hit the left mini orbit shot and it went straight over to hit the right mini orbit (from the top) which would be the super duper skill shot. I did it during regular play not during the first few seconds needed for the skill shot. But I can see now the geometry is set up that a brisk shot to the left mini will feed the right mini. If the shot is not brisk enough, it will not make the top right mini and will instead hit the target in front.

One time I was aiming to hit the right mini orbit and it went in the top lane of that shot, it was not my object but it went in fine, probably not an easy shot to aim for but it's funny in pinball how you can hit shots that you never expect to.

Also, I have been aiming more for the right orbit shot to the right of the chest. It's cool how the ball will go in loop around the top and exit back out the same way it came in, this is really cool geometry to the shot and must have took a lot of thought to make it like that.

#28 9 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-black-pearl-vs-flying-dutchman-le

Here is a post from a while back of the vinyl "mod" I did to mine. 20140423_224829.jpg20140423_224829.jpg20140423_224832.jpg20140423_224832.jpg20140423_224836.jpg20140423_224836.jpg

#29 9 years ago

Those are some sweet sling shots

1 week later
#30 9 years ago

I'll hopefully be getting a HUO POTC this weekend

For those that own the game what does changing the games difficulty options to hard and extra hard do?

Thanks

#31 9 years ago

I had a mint HUO POTC that I tricked out, but I wound up trading it later down the line. I know this game has its fair share of haters, but I'm definitely not one of them. I think it's one of Stern's best, and I like that it's got a bit of stop-and-go to it and longer ball times. I used to love alternating between playing POTC and then playing Tron.

This is a title I would gladly own again if the right deal were to come along.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For those that own the game what does changing the games difficulty options to hard and extra hard do?

No need to change any settings. It's plenty hard to reach 4 winds or gauntlet on default settings. You may want to increase the pitch or open the outlanes if ball times are too long. Although getting to 4 winds or gauntlet takes a long game anyway. Keep it on default settings when you get it, then make adjustments later if needed.

#33 9 years ago

how many times has the ship broke on people? every time I see one of these the ship has sank and won't move.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

No need to change any settings. It's plenty hard to reach 4 winds or gauntlet on default settings. You may want to increase the pitch or open the outlanes if ball times are too long. Although getting to 4 winds or gauntlet takes a long game anyway. Keep it on default settings when you get it, then make adjustments later if needed.

Awesome. It sounds like the rules are pretty deep in this game which is great to hear. I'm picking mine up in a couple hours!

#35 9 years ago

Just got one too last week, great game. I'm a terrible player so this is ideal for me. TRON just killed me.

Is the plunger a bit weak though? Really need to pull hard to get it all the way up, allthough I have to say I set the machine as steep as possible.
I'm having the same "problem" with the jackpot shot to the right, it's really hard to shoot that all the way through.

Love the chest's heartbeat sound! All in all a much better game than I expected. Even the "fake actors" voices are done rather well.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm picking mine up in a couple hours!

Congrats Panzer...

I think you're gonna like it.

#37 9 years ago

I have had a problem with my ship durring sinking the sails stay up sometimes and the motor is tries to force it down. It seems to have a safe guard so it doesn't burn out the motor but I still would like it not to do that. Has anyone else had this problem?

#38 9 years ago

I own one but it is on location. I do love the game though.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from goalzzz:

Is the plunger a bit weak though? Really need to pull hard to get it all the way up, allthough I have to say I set the machine as steep as possible.
I'm having the same "problem" with the jackpot shot to the right, it's really hard to shoot that all the way through.

Put a ball in the shooter lane, then push the shooter up to where it contacts the ball. It should be slightly above dead center on the ball. If it's off, remove the balls, raise the playfield and adjust the position of the shooter rod. 3 screws and maybe two locking screws holding it in place. Remove the hex head screws, then loosen the 3 bigger screws and reposition the shooter rod. Lower playfield and check alignment before completely retightening the screws. Leave the hex head screws out if they don't align with their original holes.

Quoted from aalucero:

I have had a problem with my ship durring sinking the sails stay up sometimes and the motor is tries to force it down. It seems to have a safe guard so it doesn't burn out the motor but I still would like it not to do that. Has anyone else had this problem?

Makes sure both of the nuts that hold the sails in place are tight. Loose sails will prevent the ship from sinking. Use the ship test in diags (game specific tests) to see what's binding. Close the coin door or pull out the high power lockout switch when running the test. Push the start button to raise and lower the ship.

Quoted from mainelycoasters:

I own one but it is on location. I do love the game though.

Mine is on location too. Probably my best all age earner. Everyone loves Pirate's.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Congrats Panzer...
I think you're gonna like it.

It's awesome! I got it home yesterday and wow what a fun game. I'm very impressed by all of the interactive toys and features on this game. The game just looks slick too with its beautiful art design and attention to detail throughout the game. My wife is really impressed as well with the game which is always a plus

Yup, I've already started to order mods, haha.

Ordered a bunch of mods from Back Alley Creations including the Davy Jones speaker panel
Flipper Fidelity speaker with 10" subwoofer kit
LED ship mod

I also have some brass pinballs from years ago that I intended to use in a LOTR I once owned. They didn't work on LOTR due to not being recognized by the games magnet but I think they will work in Pirates.

#41 9 years ago

I have pirates side by side with lord of the rings. Both are doing good. Good all ages machines.

1 week later
#42 9 years ago

Hope someone can help me out, I get air ball off the stand-ups next to the center shot, ball hops up and gets permanently stuck on top and behind the ramp (just over the center shot) next to the spotlight. It seems there is a nice cut out that captures the ball just over the lane that leads to the ship shot.

I have the sneeze guard removed, is there anything I can do short of replacing the sneeze guard?

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Hope someone can help me out, I get air ball off the stand-ups next to the center shot, ball hops up and gets permanently stuck on top and behind the ramp (just over the center shot) next to the spotlight. It seems there is a nice cut out that captures the ball just over the lane that leads to the ship shot.
I have the sneeze guard removed, is there anything I can do short of replacing the sneeze guard?

maybe adjust the standups, by moving them left to right. Not sure that will help, but easier than replacing the sneeze guard.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

maybe adjust the standups, by moving them left to right. Not sure that will help, but easier than replacing the sneeze guard.

This is what I did and it has seem to work pretty good. Every once in a while I get an air ball but it hasn't landed on the ship or in a dead spot. Good luck!

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If I understand correctly, I remedied the problem on mine (which has the sneeze guard removed) by using my Dremel to open the cut out above the ship shot. The ball then falls back to the playfield before it becomes stuck.

#46 9 years ago

Here is a couple pics of my freshly shopped pinimage-36.jpgimage-36.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from unionrunner:

If I understand correctly, I remedied the problem on mine (which has the sneeze guard removed) by using my Dremel to open the cut out above the ship shot. The ball then falls back to the playfield before it becomes stuck.

I was thinking about that, but I'm scared to buzz my plastic but it would be a good solution, do you have a picture?

#48 9 years ago

^^^ This Please ^^^

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Here is a couple pics of my freshly shopped pin

Nice Work, its a thing of beauty. Now for some side mirrors...and other mods maybe. IMG_0853.JPGIMG_0853.JPGIMG_0856.JPGIMG_0856.JPG

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was thinking about that, but I'm scared to buzz my plastic but it would be a good solution, do you have a picture?

Sorry for the delay in responding! I hope this picture helps. The amount of plastic above the ship shot I removed was minimal, so that even at its narrowest point it is still atleast an inch wide.

IMG_2050.JPGIMG_2050.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,772 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.