• Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone. I just recently replaced the lock relay coil on my Williams tropic fun and the game stopped working completely. The coil was broken and there was some serious hacking done to it so I tried to put it back to how it should be with a new coil. Now all I get is transformer buzz and nothing else. Any ideas on where I went wrong?

#2 5 years ago

Lock coil isn't engaging at all? Not even when you hit the left flipper button? If you manually close the relay does the game turn on?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Lock coil isn't engaging at all? Not even when you hit the left flipper button? If you manually close the relay does the game turn on?

Ok so I’ve made some progress. Turns out the game is playing but it’s got no lights on again and the transformer is very loud.

#4 5 years ago

No lights could just be one of the switches on the lock relay being mis-adjusted. Is it both playfield and backbox lights? Those are separate contacts on the relay.

Was the transformer this loud before? Are you sure it's the transformer and not the lock relay?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

No lights could just be one of the switches on the lock relay being mis-adjusted. Is it both playfield and backbox lights? Those are separate contacts on the relay.
Was the transformer this loud before? Are you sure it's the transformer and not the lock relay?

Ok so I’m thinking I did the coil wrong and that’s what’s buzzing. When I disconnect the coil and jump past it things work fine. I guess I need a schematic

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Tyweb:

Ok so I’m thinking I did the coil wrong and that’s what’s buzzing. When I disconnect the coil and jump past it things work fine. I guess I need a schematic

Hard to hook up a coil wrong. Especially AC. Orange and black wire on one side, black wire on the other side? Unless maybe you physically mounted it wrong? Can you compare with other coils? Did you put the brass washer in? I assume it has one of those...

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Hard to hook up a coil wrong. Especially AC. Orange and black wire on one side, black wire on the other side? Unless maybe you physically mounted it wrong? Can you compare with other coils? Did you put the brass washer in? I assume it has one of those...

This is what I have

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#8 5 years ago

What color wire does that yellow one connect to? I see the orange and black down there but I can't see where it goes.

Can you get a picture from a different angle where you can see the screw holding the coil in?

It looks like there's less space between the top of the coil and the plate it pulls in than on the next relay over. Is there enough space for that plate to move in freely?

Did you clip that small green wire? Is there anything else going to the lug it's attached to on the right? Those two switches are for the backbox and playfield lamps.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

What color wire does that yellow one connect to? I see the orange and black down there but I can't see where it goes.
Can you get a picture from a different angle where you can see the screw holding the coil in?
It looks like there's less space between the top of the coil and the plate it pulls in than on the next relay over. Is there enough space for that plate to move in freely?
Did you clip that small green wire? Is there anything else going to the lug it's attached to on the right? Those two switches are for the backbox and playfield lamps.

The plate does appear to need more room so I’ll adjust that. The yellow wire is attached to a white wire that was too short to reach the new coil that connects to the same place as the orange and black wire. I did clip the green wire and I know that turns on he lights, I cut it because it was added by someone else and I wasn’t sure if it was shorting anything

#10 5 years ago

It might be stock, if there's nothing else going to that lug on the right it's attached to. Sometimes williams just used odd rubber wires for short jumpers on the relays. If there's nothing attached to that lug then your playfield lights aren't going to work.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

It might be stock, if there's nothing else going to that lug on the right it's attached to. Sometimes williams just used odd rubber wires for short jumpers on the relays. If there's nothing attached to that lug then your playfield lights aren't going to work.

I hooked it back up and everything seems to be working fine after adjusting the plate next to the coil. That’s one problem solved now i need to fix the pop bumpers

#12 5 years ago

The coil is also very loud but working

#13 5 years ago

If it's still loud it might still not be adjusted properly. It'll buzz if it's still struggling to pull the plate in, or fighting against the switches, etc

What's wrong with the pop bumpers

#14 5 years ago

I notice the green wire has been cut? Never mind, already addressed.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

If it's still loud it might still not be adjusted properly. It'll buzz if it's still struggling to pull the plate in, or fighting against the switches, etc
What's wrong with the pop bumpers

One doesn’t work work and the others aren’t very responsive

#16 5 years ago

Checked voltages at the coils? Should be at least 25VDC. Do the slingshots work fine? The circuit is really simple, just the coil and the one switch on each pop bumper, so there's not much else to do besides clean the switches and gap them nice and close. Can't hurt to rebuild the mech either but it should work pretty good without. If they're weak no matter what you do (including the slingshots), you might need to replace the rectifier

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.