• Latest reply 9 years ago by Eddie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

The machine was giving me a

FAIL 5EST U-8

code on the DMD.

The LED on the game board was flashing five times indicating that it was failing test 5.

That's a test of one of the chips on the board in socket U-8

So I took the chip out, cleaned the legs a little and re-seated it.

Didn't help.

When the game first malfunctioned, it flashed a error message about checking fuses.

But it never flashed it again.

So I checked all over the game, the 2A fuse under the playfield was dead.

Changing the fuse fixed the game, works perfect.

I thought that the way that fuse made the PCB check fail was a little weird, thought I'd stick this up here as food for thought.

ALSO - the fuse wasn't burned, the glass and metal end was separated. Never seen a mechanical failure like that on a fuse before. A visual check of the fuses didn't pick it up, I went back with a continuity tester and caught it.

If I hadn't checked the fuses with the continuity tester, I would have ended up playing around with that "failed chip" problem for who knows how long.

#2 9 years ago

Here's another thing -

One of the flashers on the game was dead, the guy who sold it to me said there was mysterious problem in the wiring somewhere.

He also said he was a King of All Pinball Repair Experts.

Turned out to be a burned fuse.

Thankfully the game is 100% intact, he decided to sell it instead of making Expert Repairs (tm).

#3 9 years ago

I've seen glass fuses fail like that before in older cars. Visually they look ok. Only way I've caught it was with a continuity test.

Glad you got your issue figured out without too much aggravation

#4 9 years ago

I have an Atlantis, the next time you have a problem feel free to send me a PM about it. This series is a little "unconventional" for a lack of better words, but I do understand them and can help you with problems.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks

I will take you up on that offer if the situation arises.

So far the game has been very reliable, this is the first problem and it was just a fuse.

#6 9 years ago

Usually a fuse blows for a reason, such as something stuck on. Just keep your eye on it in case it should happen again. Advise to go over all the fuses to verify they are the correct value.
Now go have some fun!

#7 9 years ago

I have come across numerous fuse failures due to the glass, metal separation, even on brand new fuses.

Things aren't made the way they used to be.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-fuse-made-my-bally-atlantis-totally-malfunction and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.