(Topic ID: 347400)

UPDATED: Dead Drop Foam Has Bounced Back!

By Sonic

7 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Sonic
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20231124203131 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 months ago

After Pinbits ended operations - and subsequently all of their unique products as well, one of the quirky things they had that I missed was dead drop foam - it wasn't neoprene, it wasn't sorbothane, it wasn't drop target backing, and it wasn't any of that stuff you get at Home Depot either....but we figured out what it is and can offer it now...

3/4" (W) x 6" (L) x 1/8" (D)....(the original was 7/8" Wide) is $4 shipped in the US....just drop me a PM....

To celebrate it's return, we are also running a week long Cyber Monday... Black Friday....Xmas Sale.... all MRS' are $5 off the usual price of $35...that offer is good until December 2nd!

Matt & Dan
    IMG20231124203131 (resized).jpgIMG20231124203131 (resized).jpg

#2 7 months ago

How do you use the foam????

#3 7 months ago

It's just self-adhesive...folks put it on all kinds of things where they want the ball to have an immediate ball stop- typically the back's of saucers like Medieval, Freddy and Indiana Jones....

Matt

#4 7 months ago

O,K, so it is used as dampening for kickouts/eject holes and V.U.Kickers.
    Thank you.

#5 7 months ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

O,K, so it is used as dampening for kickouts/eject holes and V.U.Kickers.
    Thank you.

You got it....for it's comparative thickness (only being 1/8" thick), and its' improved dampening properties....it makes it versatile in places that ball momentum reduction is crucial....for example, in Freddy - I placed it in the Dream Warriors saucer to help pop outs....but most importantly in the Glove Flipper VUK that slams the ball into the plastic ramp...

Matt

2 weeks later
    #6 7 months ago

Just a bump....we are also experimenting with another material that should perform even better than DDF, that we intend to offer - but it'll be a little more $$....you may not need it over the DDF - but it'll be available...

Matt & Dan

1 week later
    #7 6 months ago

I'm glad someone is still offering this stuff. I used it to great effect in the IJ scoop.

#8 6 months ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I'm glad someone is still offering this stuff. I used it to great effect in the IJ scoop.

Thanks for the acknowledgement...we felt the same. Once Pinbits dissolved - we thought it would remain on the market somewhere...but it didn't, and it took a bit to figure out what it really was...but we felt this is something that must remain available for the hobby....

matt

#9 6 months ago

Thanks for the orders folks - we went through our entire supply in 30 days...crazy...I just got a new supply in today....ready for orders!

Matt

1 week later
    #10 6 months ago

So in our continued effort to find a better DDF...we think we did...check out the video below...there are 3 test strips - the current supply we have, vintage Pinbits supply (I have but one 5" strip I keep for testing, it's probably 8+ years old now) and the latest material....

Don't mind the ball falling off the strip on the first drop - it's only 1" wide - take a look at the deflection (i.e. bounce) ....I think we found our material....

Test video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14je8g_6NLwF_R835NJQQToy9aZZVYfw1/view?usp=sharing

We got to figure out some logistics still and only have some limited samples of the material, but for now - we are on our way...no, it's not neoprene, no its not rubber, no it's not sorbothane...it's something else....

Matt & Dan

1 month later
    #11 5 months ago

I recently put some of this stuff in my space station to help with the left orbit lock rejects. This helped a ton and I haven't had a reject since.

Im going to try it on my robocop next for the same reject issue but on the right saucer.

2 months later
    #12 3 months ago

Hi Matt - are you able to sell the new product at this point?

#13 3 months ago

I could use some too.

#14 3 months ago

Yeah, I also need to replenish my dead drop foam supply. I've used all my old Pinbits supply.

#15 3 months ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

I recently put some of this stuff in my space station to help with the left orbit lock rejects. This helped a ton and I haven't had a reject since.
    Im going to try it on my robocop next for the same reject issue but on the right saucer.

Yep .. We have it... Just PM me ... The new stuff is on a different level better than the Pinbits stuff.....

4 weeks later
    #17 63 days ago

I need something like this cast into a rubber ring.

#18 63 days ago

you could cut/trim it into the shape of a ring....what's the diameter?

Matt

1 week later
    #19 54 days ago

Just throwing out that I got some of this from Matt for my Congo at the mystery award saucer. It was getting a ton of rejects prior to adding some foam but added a bit to the back and now the ball is stopping dead in its tracks on a clean shot. Worked great!

1 month later
    #20 3 days ago

Do you keep a pinside biz with stock?

#21 2 days ago

Yep... Just PM me to order...a 5.5" x 7/8" strip to Canada is $7 shipped ...

Matt

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.