Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Bugsy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Went and looked at a mostly dead Diner. Symptoms/observations: display was completely out. Hit the start button and the ball won't kick out. Flippers will flip, though. No sound at all. Some GI lighting out as well. Any common denominators, or are these all separate issues ? Wanted $1600; I offered $1000; he declined.

#3 3 years ago

How were the batteries on the CPU board?

Sounds like you made the right choice

#4 3 years ago

Is this the "items for sale" Diner that's been listed at $2200 for months?

#5 3 years ago

$1,000 was way fair. You just don't know what kind of a time / money suck that game could turn out to be.

Someone may pay more but doesn't have to be you.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

$1,000 was way fair. You just don't know what kind of a time / money suck that game could turn out to be.

Yeah $1,000 would be the top for me as well, and even then that would be hard. Having said that Diner is pretty fun and I wouldn't mind owning one some day.

#7 3 years ago

Personally I wouldn't even offer $1,000. With the number of issues it sounds like it has, I'd be looking at about half his asking price, maybe even $700. Obviously he wouldn't take it, but it sounds like it needs a lot of work and I wouldn't pay that much for a non working Diner.

#8 3 years ago

You have chosen.....wisely

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Is this the "items for sale" Diner that's been listed at $2200 for months?

Yes. I initially offered $1600 via email, before I knew it wasn't working. When I got there, it was clear it was not going to be a good buy.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

How were the batteries on the CPU board?
Sounds like you made the right choice

He said he changed them and there wasn't any acid damage on the board. It looked clean; I didn't see anything roached.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My sentiments exactly. Sometimes you just have to walk away.

#12 3 years ago

Pass all day long on that.
We just picked up a working Diner for $500 last month.
I know that is certainly not the norm, but deals eventually come along.

#13 3 years ago

Absolutely pass. I was able to pick up a nice Diner last year for 1600. Fully working no real of wear, just lifting Mylar. Keep looking. That's a horrible asking price

#14 3 years ago

$500 Diner? That's the one I've been waiting for to come my way. But alas, I have not seen one. But I got a good price on a rough Taxi so I can't complain.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

$500 Diner? That's the one I've been waiting for to come my way. But alas, I have not seen one. But I got a good price on a rough Taxi so I can't complain.

Nice. Taxi is a great pin.

#16 3 years ago

I just started re-living my childhood interest in pinball machines and came by a Taxi in below average condition. It doesn't power up and the lady couldn't even find the cabinet keys. She just said it stopped working one day and they threw it in the back room. I talked her down to 900 but she wouldn't go any lower. I haven't worked on Pins before but have a Bach in Electrical Engineering so I think I can figure it out. Can I get someone's opinion on if its worth the gamble or is it better just to pay the extra money and buy one in working condition?

Thanks in advance for your input.

#17 3 years ago

It's hard to say without knowing more. Could it be "just a fuse" (or two)? A dead power supply? A completely alkaline-soaked / roached MPU board? Cables gnawed by critters?

The possible problems range from an easy few dollars and a few minutes, to hours of troubleshooting and repair, to hundreds of dollars for replacement parts. It's a shame she can't find the keys because really, the only way to get a good read on the risk is to open the backbox and look at the boards, and then beneath the playfield.

Your EE background gives you a leg up on most folks. These games can be complex, but systematically and logically so. I'm sure you'd figure it out and if for some reason you get stuck, plenty of people here can help.

That said, Taxi is a fun game and if it was in really good condition otherwise, it would probably be worth the risk of a worst-case electronic rehab (figure $500 ballpark for new MPU board and/or other bits). But "below average" condition on top of not booting? Without you or us knowing more you're risking a parts machine so I'd tell her to find the keys or bust the lock on her dime. It needs to be opened somehow anyway, so you could fold the head to move it!

#18 3 years ago

drill out the lock. the keys for the head are more than likely mounted to the door. if the board is acid damaged then you can used that as ammo to get it for cheaper.

#19 3 years ago

Half of the fun for the true hobbyist is bringing a dead game back to life. Opening the manual and flipping through the pages looking for fuse values, part names and numbers, switch matrix, schematics, etc is so much fun. Reading through different forums and websites for advice and tech help is fun too. Then once you diagnose the issue(s), you get out the soldering iron out, novus products, wax, and all your misc bins of parts. Next you strip down the playfield, clean up everything, fix the mechanical and electrical issues, and put it all back together.

After it's all back working again and you have a shiny new machine that you can play, you don't actually play it because you're too tired and you just want to look at it while you have an icy cold beer. Which is just enough time to rest and once the beer is finished you play it until 3am (while continuing to drink icy cold beer). Oh god, you have to go to work in 5 hours! Screw it, the new game is too much fun.

Of course there are also people who buy NIB who don't have to do a huge job getting their game to work, which is totally fine and I have nothing against that. But personally for me, I get a lot of enjoyment out of this hobby when I can breathe new life into an old and dead game, and make it really shine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Laredo, TX
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 4.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside